6-19 Saratoga Performing Arts Center

Discuss the 2004 shows!

Postby goldenroad » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:13 pm

06/19/04 - Saratoga Peforming Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY

1: Reba, Runaway Jim, NICU -> Scents and Subtle Sounds, Wolfman's Brother, Walls of the Cave -> David Bowie

2: A Song I Heard the Ocean Sing, Piper -> Tweezer Reprise Jam -> Gotta Jibboo > Limb By Limb, Cavern

E: Wading in the Velvet Sea

Notes: "Harpua" was teased toward the end of the "Piper" jam. Trey forgot all of the words to the third verse of "Cavern," only just pulling it together in time for "deadly ice calm" line. He then eked out a quite self-referential "Purple Haze" tease before coming back in with the fourth verse. "Limb by Limb" may have contained some "Disease"-type jamming.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby tenniru » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:23 am

I think this was the best post-hiatus show. The Piper is obviously the centerpiece, with the unusually huge ASIHTOS, but the S&SS, Walls, Bowie, Jibboo, all INSANE. The only real low point was when Trey forgot the lyrics to Cavern.

tenniru

Re: 6-19 Saratoga Performing Arts Center

Postby Real Talk YEM » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:37 pm

I agree with you. They really decided at this show and the first set of KeySpan to show they still had it. This show was like ALCS game 6 to me. Unparalleled stars playing injured and performing epicness.
Real Talk YEM
Former TLD

Postby fone » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:24 pm

Just discovered this show after having it on my shelf since 2004. The reason that I sought this show out was all the hype of the Piper. Needless to say when I got it, I played the Piper first and was disappointed with it entirely. Put the show on the shelf and ignored it for five years. Crazy shit.

Grabbed the disks for the first time since at the beginning of the week, and was incredibly and pleasantly surprised by how great this show is, and still, in my mind, no thanks to the Piper. Had I not listened to everyone's opinions about the Piper, I might have been able to enjoy the remaining music, most of which really really pleased me. The Walls->Bowie, ASIHTOS disk is one of my top favorite individual Phish CDs that stand on their own.

I can appreciate everyone liking the Piper, and I don't mean to piss on that in any way. I just found it less more enjoyable than even the Jiboo that followed it. That probably is my favorite version of Jiboo, a song that often bores me. But overall, I can't say enough good things about this show and don't blame Trey for losing a little steam by the end and blowing the Cavern lines.
fone
The Sage

Postby goldphish » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:13 pm

[quote="goldenroad"] "Limb by Limb" may have contained some "Disease"-type jamming.[/quote]

haha this is hilarious, I love the "may have contained" line... it may have contained said jam but we just haven't confirmed it. :P They should put:

"Limb by Limb" allegedly contained some "Disease"-type jamming but we have been unable to confirm that yet, Chuck. Interviewers on the ground of eye-witnesses reported some leaks that did indicate "disease"-type jamming but most of the crowd was far beyond a sound mental state to confirm such reports. We hope to know more by our 11 o'clock broadcast.
goldphish
White Mountain Scallop

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Real Talk YEM » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:22 pm

To each his own.... this piper is probably my favorite thing from 2004.
Real Talk YEM
Former TLD

Postby marco » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:50 pm

One agrees, this show is great. All the songs tenniru mentioned are gems. Piper is readicculus.
marco
One

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby starshine526 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:05 pm

I recently have been going back to some of the 2.0 shows lately and comparing them to some of the stuff from this summer, especially this show.

I was in attendance for this show and remember specifically enjoying it (even better than 6/20). But I also remember getting home, listening to the soundboards, and saying, "Damn, this piper isn't near as good as I thought it was."

But now, after experiencing this summer, I don't think that this show was nearly as bad as some of the other shit from '04, especially Coventry. The Jiboo>Limb by Limb was absolutely great.

With all that said, I am still standing by you SPAC '04. I'm sorry to have ever doubted you. :P
starshine526

Postby ghost_2000 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:09 am

Some of this "Piper" gets a little too cacophonous for me, but before they go into "Jibboo" they hit a nice melodic groove. I love love love Mike's sound during this tour. Coupled with the dirty sound Trey had going on, it was morbidly fascinating to listen to.
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Return to 2004