07-15 PNC Bank Arts Center

Discuss the 1999 shows!

07-15 PNC Bank Arts Center

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:21 am

07-15-99 PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ

Soundcheck: Lady Madonna, Have Mercy, Mountains in the Mist > Dirt > Mountains in the Mist, Guyute, Too Much of Anything, (more?)

1: Punch You in the Eye > Ghost, This Is a Farmhouse, Horn, Poor Heart, Axilla > Theme from the Bottom, I Didn't Know*, The Sloth, You Enjoy Myself (1:33)

2: The Meatstick**, Split Open and Melt# -> Kung > Jam, Bouncing Around the Room, Chalk Dust Torture^ (1:08)

E: Brian and Robert^^, Frankenstein (0:14)

Webcast live by the House of Blues. *Mentions of "Michael 'Soft G' Jordan" and "Vajonna (Flagina?) Fishman"; with vacuum solo. **Trey talks of attempting to set the world record for the largest number of people doing a single dance simultaneously with The Meatstick Dance in Oswego; Trey, Mike and Sofi Dillof teach the dance. #Unfinished. ^Trey waves to Sam Holloway in the front row; finally shakes his hand and gives him his guitar pick. ^^With glowrings.
I LOOK TO THE STARS AND THE ANSWER IS CLEAR
I LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE WHAT I FEAR
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: 07-15 PNC Bank Arts Center

Postby willbreathes » Tue May 08, 2012 12:58 pm

Very strong first set, bit of an odd second set. The Ghost reached a great level of excitement, before teetering off and fading into Farmhouse. Solid set throughout, and a great YEM to close off the set.

Second set never really seemed to take off for me. Meatstick was soundcheck material, the Melt got going nice, but quickly Trey jams Kung in there which didn't fit whatsoever. The Bouncing was solid. And the Chalkdust had a strong jam, before Trey slams the last verse back in awkwardly, and almost plays it solo. It was way different, and actually pretty cool, but I wouldn't want to see it that way everytime.

Excellent encore, with the mellowness followed by the full rock show.

Overall, just a bit of an awkward show is the best way I can describe it. Ghost is possibly the only keeper from this show, unfortunately the jam isn't really lengthy enough to make it an all-timer.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Tue May 08, 2012 3:30 pm

Weird vibe at this show.

Dark and dirty.

Almost got popped in the parking lot before the show, so many UC's everywhere.

The Melt-Kung was darkness through and through.

Next night was better :thumbup:
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Postby bigB » Tue May 08, 2012 5:58 pm

^ disagree my good man. The next nights first set is 100% blah in the book of B. The second has the smash hits but they didn't realty do much for me besides the 2001. The 15th is where the experimentation and real Phishyness comes through. A nice sounding copy would help. Most auds from PNC no matter what the year sound muffled.
As he saw his life run away from him 1000's ran along chanting words from a psalm.
bigB
Wookie-Tamer

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby PardonMe Doug » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:22 pm

I'm gonna agree with B on this one. I love this show. I agree that there are a few awkward parts in the second set, but having gone through and listened to the entire tour, every night had its awkward moments. Part of what makes this a highly underrated tour. Brilliant highlights but some then-unusual lowlights every night too.
PardonMe Doug

Return to 1999