12-31 Big Cypress

Discuss the 1999 shows!

12-31 Big Cypress

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:25 am

12-31-99 Big Cypress Seminole Indian Reservation, FL

1: Runaway Jim+, Funky Bitch, Tube, I Didn't Know*, Punch You in the Eye, Bouncing Around the Room, Poor Heart, Roggae, Split Open and Melt** -> Catapult, Get Back on the Train, Horn, Guyute, After Midnight*** (1:46)

2: #Meatstick^ -> Auld Lang Syne, Down with Disease -> Llama, Bathtub Gin^^, Heavy Things^^^, ^^^^Twist Around > Prince Caspian > Rock and Roll, You Enjoy Myself%, Crosseyed and Painless, The Inlaw Josie Wales%%, Sand -> Quadrophonic Topplings%%%, Slave to the Traffic Light, Albuquerque, Reba, Axilla, Uncle Pen, David Bowie, My Soul, Drowned -> After Midnight reprise, The Horse > Silent in the Morning, Bittersweet Motel, Piper** -> Free, Lawn Boy, Hold Your Head Up > Love You%%%% > Hold Your Head Up, Roses are Free, Bug, $Also Sprach Zarathustra > Wading in the Velvet Sea, Meatstick$$ (7:45)

Set 2 was played from midnight to sunrise, non-stop. +With marshmallow war, lots of balloons, and aerial tortillas. *With Fish on vacuum. **Unfinished. ***First time played; J.J. Cale cover from the album "Naturally" (best known for the Eric Clapton version). #Set begins around 11:35 pm with Father Time on stage pedaling away at a stationary bike, powering a large clock, with the sound of the gears on the PA (possibly a Siket Disc track?). At approximately 11:50 pm, Father Time collapses from exhaustion and the clock stops. At this time, with appropriate sound effects, a large fan boat entered the field from halfway back, stage right. Soon the sides and top of the fan boat were blown off to reveal the band riding in the hot dog from 12-31-94. The hot dog approached the stage as the band threw leis and other goodies into the crowd. Once the hot dog reached the stage, the band disembarked carrying several meatsticks. They fed these to Father Time, reviving him to drive to clock to midnight. ^Instrumental version, with the band picking up the song from a pre-recorded version played during the hot dog ride. ^^With vocal jam, as Trey, Mike, and Page sang the notes as they played them. ^^^Recorded live for ABC's Millennium coverage; Trey instructed the crowd to chant the word "Cheesecake" after the song (instead of applauding), in an attempt to confuse TV viewers; Trey introduced the band for the recorded footage and offered a message of peace and harmony for the world ("The right lane is for driving. The left lane is for passing. So stay in the right lane unless you're passing."). ^^^^Preceded by "Meatstick" tease (possibly as Central Time hit midnight). %With "Cheesecake" vocal jam. %%Trey solo acoustic. %%%With Mike holding up a voice box, repeating the phrase "Quadrophonic Toppling." %%%%With Fish on vacuum; Fish introduced Page before the song, and Mike and Trey afterwards, and the band as "Phish 2000." $Preceded by a tease of the "Harry Hood" intro. $$No encore; post-show music was the Beatles' "Here Comes the Sun."
I LOOK TO THE STARS AND THE ANSWER IS CLEAR
I LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE WHAT I FEAR
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Blog: View Blog (1)

12-31 Big Cypress

Postby Fee » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:00 am

The Fucking Show!!! Life changing experience here!
Fee
20th Century Child

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: 12-31 Big Cypress

Postby Atoms » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:41 pm

http://www.phishauds.com/2009/12/big-cy ... 23199.html

No more excuses for not having this show (THIS SHOW, the show)!
Atoms
The Awoken

Postby phishinsky » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:44 pm

Still best time of my life!!
phishinsky
Northern Jedi

Postby starshine526 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:33 am

[quote="phishinsky"]Still best time of my life!![/quote]
starshine526

Postby bigB » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:28 pm

Just came across this photo from the big night. Look at my Soldiers holdin all that dance room! Yeah Michigan Crew!

As he saw his life run away from him 1000's ran along chanting words from a psalm.
bigB
Wookie-Tamer

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Guelah » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:51 pm

Two very interesting coincidences/forshadowings:

First, the lyrics to Strange Design. "Hold the wheel, read the sign, keep the tires off the line..."

Second, Trey telling the world to only stay in the right lane unless your passing at Big Cypress.

Phish breaks up.

Trey gets pulled over for swerving in and out of his lane, goes to jail, goes to rehab, gets better.

Phish comes back, and makes our little World a much more joyful place...

The New Years' runs really do seem to ignore the basic laws of time and space, and reach into the future and the past.

If only they didn't feed Father Time those meat sticks.......

I mean, then again, what if he would have simply yelled, "I DON'T WANT A SLIM JIM?"

The whole Gamehendge Time Factory would have stopped working, because the Great Disco Ball of time would have simultaneously slammed into it, and Axilla would have never been sung the same way again!!!

What a nightmare!
Guelah
Teh_Southern Pa

Postby goldenroad » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:56 pm

::Smokes some of what Little is smoking::
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby glideandseek » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:31 am

I love what Cypress means to the Phish community. Having never gone, I love hearing accounts of how this show really touched peoples lives. I truly believe that this was one of the greatest concert experiences of all time: just the audience and the band showing their mutual love for each other. In that environment, the band produced what I would consider, THE most transcendental performance of its career. This show embodies literally every single thing about phish I love: the jams, the bond with the audience, the goofiness, bustouts... etc.

No point talking about the music, if you've heard it, you know where its at.
glideandseek

Postby misterh » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:48 am

my first show.

definitely a life changing experience.
misterh

Postby Guelah » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:34 am

*passes Crystal Bong to Devin*

I wish I wasn't 12 when Big Cypress went down.....

But then again, it was what it is, and it is what it has been. And it WILL be. Again and again. '09 was fine! Oh '10 will be zen, my friends!!!
Guelah
Teh_Southern Pa

Postby marco » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:49 pm

Listening to Rock and Roll right now. What an incredible jam!

On the remastered AUD Adam referenced above, right when they start the ambient jamming, you can hear a group of people yelling "L" "O" "V" "E", "L" "O" "V" "E", "L" "O" "V" "E".
marco
One

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby phishinsky » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:27 pm

[quote="glide9811"]I love what Cypress means to the Phish community. Having never gone, I love hearing accounts of how this show really touched peoples lives. I truly believe that this was one of the greatest concert experiences of all time: just the audience and the band showing their mutual love for each other. In that environment, the band produced what I would consider, THE most transcendental performance of its career. This show embodies literally every single thing about phish I love: the jams, the bond with the audience, the goofiness, bustouts... etc.

No point talking about the music, if you've heard it, you know where its at.[/quote]
Great post. Great show. Great time. Great friends. Great memories!
phishinsky
Northern Jedi

Postby PardonMe Doug » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:28 pm

PardonMe Doug

Postby gamecat » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:40 pm

^ I remember listening to that and cracking up about that last part Trey talked about.
I can just imagine Trey walking into his house to that family party.
Some neighbor sitting there and asking Trey:

"So,...tell me about your concert Trey?" "What did you guys do?"
:lol:
How the hell could you even begin to talk about that 3 hours after,...let alone 3 years. :crazy:

Trey's wife yelling at him "Trey,..take out the garbage!" "I need you to go get some milk at the store"
:lol:

From the most amazing concert,....to the reality of life in a couple hours.....crazy.
I was still sleeping in my tent at Big Cypress while the boys were home already.
gamecat
The Shepherd

Postby goldenroad » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:14 pm

My favorite version of Sand ever...and many other songs...which I will post my feelings on.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:39 am

goldenroad wrote:OK...so here's a neat fact. This thread about this asshole has now gotten to 9 pages, meanwhile the Big Cypress thread is at half a page. I just thought you guys might find that interesting. So, I'm gonna post in the 12/31/99 thread once a day until it gets to more pages than this thread...you guys are welcome to join me.

How bout that Antelope Greg character huh?
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby piper » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:58 am

hosemasterflex wrote:
goldenroad wrote:OK...so here's a neat fact. This thread about this asshole has now gotten to 9 pages, meanwhile the Big Cypress thread is at half a page. I just thought you guys might find that interesting. So, I'm gonna post in the 12/31/99 thread once a day until it gets to more pages than this thread...you guys are welcome to join me.

How bout that Antelope Greg character huh?

Haha, well done.
piper

Postby PardonMe Doug » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:49 pm

The Antelope from Big Cypress was the shiz too. Oh wait, that was from the previous night. Move along, nothing to see here :think:
PardonMe Doug

Postby goldenroad » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:29 pm

If that monster set would have just been a regular sized set, where do you think it would have ended? I don't think it would have gone any further than the YEM, (which is nothing short of an amazing version btw). So...for that reason, as much as the Gin and Disease and Twist and Rock and Roll are all top 5 versions, this set really starts getting into some very uncharted waters around Crosseyed and Painless and I think the next 5 hours or so of the set are the best Phish has ever played.

I want to really go off about that Meatstick closer, but I'll save that for another post.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby Highway_Bill » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:50 pm

marco wrote:Listening to Rock and Roll right now. What an incredible jam!

This is probably my number 1 Rock and Roll, and it's definitely my favorite jam on this whole show.
WAZUP MA SHNIGGYS!
Highway_Bill
Good

Postby booztravlr » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:57 pm

Decided it's been too long so I listened to all of Big Cypress at work this week. I'm on 2001 right now and will probably finish up before I post this.

Man, what a trip down memory lane! I was 18 years old and just finished my first semester at college. My high school touring buddy was back up for the holidays. We drove from Syracuse to NJ to meet up with four older friends. Then in NJ we rented one of those 80's Caravans and made the trip down. Being 6 deep and the youngest in the group we were seated in the middle row of seats. While we didn't have driving responsibilities, which was nice, but we also didn't have a lot of room or even head rests. It may not seem like a big deal until realizing we drove from Princeton to Miami straight.

After 'refueling' in Miami we hit the road, the only road, to Big Cypress. What a traffic jam that was. We got there fairly early on the 28th and started with the celebration. It took us about 10-12 hours to get to our campsite. Finally settled in and feeling fine on the 29th we walked over to the gate outside the concert area to listen to soundcheck. There must have been a few thousand people hanging around listening to the music. It wasn't very loud but was still very enjoyable, especially with that many people.

The campgrounds were filled with all sorts of cool hidden areas and sculptures. I remember standing on the ice pyramids often during the day to cool my body down. As hot as it was during the day it was quite cool at night, allowing for maximum recharging before the inevitably long sets.

There really isn't much to say about that music that hasn't already been said. Most songs were some of the better versions played and they did a great job with their bustouts too. All I know is I'm glad I ran into the guy with 8g (dried) of Oregon blue caps. I kid you not, this thing was one huge cap and a stem as long and think as my middle finger. Being so dry down there I was amazed he still had any on the 31st. Ate half around 11:40 then the rest around 12:15 as I cursed him out for being weak. Then 12:20 hit and you can fill in the blanks from there.

Come sunrise, there were a lot of fallen soldiers on the ground and many many more who retreated to their tents. I'd guess only about 1/3 of the people were still there for 'Here Comes The Sun' but I could be off.

Easily one of the most enjoyable and most memorable weeks of my life.
the eleven | To weird to live, to rare to die.
booztravlr
Mr Boombastic

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:29 pm

^nice recap.

Lotsa people on the ground for sure.

Gave a handful of fungus to the gate guard on the way in. Bet he had fun.

I turned 18 at midnight.

Decent birthday I guess.
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Postby PardonMe Doug » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:06 pm

I was out from the middle of the Crosseyed and came to life again in the middle of Quadrophonic Topplings. I was uber confused.
PardonMe Doug

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:07 pm

PardonMe Doug wrote:I was out from the middle of the Crosseyed and came to life again in the middle of Quadrophonic Topplings. I was uber confused.

I was out after leaving the bathroom on the plane after take off after taking those gel tabs :crazy:
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Next

Return to 1999