12-29 MSG

Discuss the 1998 shows!

12-29 MSG

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:21 am

12-29-98 Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

1: Rock and Roll > Funky Bitch, Punch You in the Eye > Horn, Ginseng Sullivan, Split Open and Melt, Brian and Robert, Guyute*, My Soul, Freebird** (1:08)

2: Free, Limb by Limb+ -> Also Sprach Zarathustra++, Boogie On Reggae Woman, You Enjoy Myself (1:15)

E: The Divided Sky (0:17)

*With a colorful bird (someone dressed as a black turkey-looking thing, with a red strip and a green stripe around its body) and flowers (dancers clad in red and white dresses that could flip over their heads, and two long yellow stamen/pistals streaming from each of their heads) running around in the aisles on the floor. **A capella. +Flower dancers reappeared on stage. ++With "Born Under Punches" (Talking Heads) tease.
I LOOK TO THE STARS AND THE ANSWER IS CLEAR
I LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE WHAT I FEAR
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Blog: View Blog (1)

12-29 MSG

Postby ghost_2000 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:05 am

Sweet holy poop this is an excellent show. That second set is up there among my all-time favorites. It's all about the LxL -> 2001!!!
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: 12-29 MSG

Postby booztravlr » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:14 pm

Best 2 set show they played.
the eleven | To weird to live, to rare to die.
booztravlr
Mr Boombastic

Postby Real Talk YEM » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:19 pm

^I don't know about that, but this is a sick show. the sbd is incredible quality.
Real Talk YEM
Former TLD

Postby alajder » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:19 pm

Probably in the top three of shows I attended. The garden was rocking that night, and the second set is perfect! Can't wait to see the boys back there this fall.
alajder

Postby Desmond The Family Berzerker » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:28 pm

Yeah , with the upcoming 3 night run, I've been getting nostalgic over the last two weeks, and listening to alot of past MSG gems. This show is up there. Great song choices and a second set that is absolutely phenomenal.
It maybe my favorite set from 98. It was one of those nights that you could almost see the energy oozing in the air amidst CK's illuminations.
Desmond The Family Berzerker

Postby S. Hill 88 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:58 am

Flawless YEM...just flawless
S. Hill 88

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Real Talk YEM » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:26 am

[quote="booztravlr"]Best 2 set show they played.[/quote] I think Hampton '97. But man the 29th is always THE show of the run, at least it was in 94, 96, 97, and 98 for me. 03 and 95 were SICK too, but were outdone by other shows on the run.
Real Talk YEM
Former TLD

Postby Real Talk YEM » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:33 am

I retract. I like the 29th better than NYE for '95.
Real Talk YEM
Former TLD

Postby fone » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:48 pm

I've been to some good shows, I've been to some OK shows, I've been to some great shows. This was one of my GREAT shows. And because I was able to see it from the first row of MSG about 30 feet in front of Trey, it was also probably the coolest of all my live Phish experiences. It was the night he gave me a double take and a wave when they first came onto the stage, because I was sitting in the exact same seats as I had the night before (which was one of the more unimpressive shows I've ever attended).

But I was just listening to the second set this morning on the drive into work and I agree with Neil, that Limb->ASZ was fantastic, probably one of my favorite versions of both songs. And the YEM, forget about it. This second set was one of my giveaway disks for a long time. Actually, I think it was the first disk that I ever gave away, and as I remember, it was to a car parked in the lot of the local minor league bb team, when I stopped in one afternoon to get advanced tickets. The car had numerous Phish stickers on it and because it was summer, the windows were open, so I threw the disk onto the front seat.

But I was also so bumbed that they chose to play the DS encore that night because Marie had opted to come with me the next night instead of this one, and she was still waiting for her favorite song to be played after six or so shows that she attended. I knew that DS was about due, and when it hadn't been played all night, I was sure she'd get one on the 30th. When they started it up at encore, it just blew me away in many ways.
fone
The Sage

Postby marco » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:56 pm

^Great story Bill, sans Marie missing Divided Sky. Did she ever see one?

I absolutely love this show, especially set II. 12/29 has seen some incredible playing for the band over the years. Might be my favorite single performance date.
marco
One

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby fone » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:15 pm

Yes, she saw her first in Hartford the following year, 12/12/99.

I had front row seats for that third night at MSG as well, but when we went to them, Marie didn't want to sit there. The thought of all those people behind her gave her a panicky feeling, so we moved out to the 100 section directly opposite the stage.

We were able to choose the exact seats we wanted to sit in because the two guys who occupied them were totally beside themselves at the opportunity for front row seats. They thought we were nuts for giving them up.
fone
The Sage

Postby ghost_2000 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:36 pm

You can't beat a performance that has the word "stamen" in the show notes.

You just can't.
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby fone » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:57 pm

With another four night NYE run planned at MSG this year, I've decided to go back and listen to some of the music I was fortunate enough to hear at some of the past runs.

Started with this one, as it's still one of my overall favorites.

Just heard the Guyute on the way into work a few moments ago, and even though I've heard tighter versions, the experience of being in the room that night, more than made up for what might have been off in the execution of the song. But the dancers and the crowd cranked the energy in the place to unbelievable levels, and the band rose to respond to it, as no band I've ever known could do.

There are rare these rare concert moments, when people in these numbers can experience a coordinated comprehension of the same emotion at the same time. The shear numbers have a multiplicative impact on the emotional energy being expressed in the movements and of course in the sounds of it all.

Although this can really happen at any time, I believe the holiday shows, like the multi-day festivals shows, come at times when everyone is more "relaxed" than they are for tour shows. There's less "urgency" felt, less anxiety about tomorrow, because you know where you're going to be. The holiday shows have always been considered a "party" by the band, and they help foster this relaxed attitude that adds to the show overall.

Really looking forward to a great time this month.
Here's your ticket pack your bag
Time for jumpin' overboard
The transportation is here
Close enough but not too far,
Maybe you know where you are
Fightin' fire with fire
fone
The Sage

Postby booztravlr » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:54 pm

Of all the days on a calendar, this one sticks out the most simply because of this show. Can't believe I've never done a write up for it on here.

I was a senior in high school and, after Vernon Downs and Albany earlier in the year, my group of friends decided NYC was the next logical destination to see them play. The 4 of us took a Greyhound to NYC early on the 28th. This was quite an experience in itself. I was seated next to a freshly released convict. In order to lighten the mood I offered him some of my doughnut holes. He declined, and that was the last we spoke. Later on some lady just lights up a smoke and stinks up the bus. Thought another girl was going to set her straight but that ended in an awkward silence until the next stop. Fortunately, this was the only down spot on the entire trip.

We ended up staying with my friends uncle who showed us a great time all over the city. First night was a lot of fun. It was my first time seeing a show in MSG. The first set was a bit tame but that Stash was the best one I saw in ~50 shows but I'll save those comments for the other thread. Unfortunately, the other friend and his girlfriend had to leave early on the 29th to get back home. The two of us bounced around the city all day and decided to get to MSG early to walk around the arena. We eventually settled into our seats, halfway up the first tier Page side.

First set opened with so much energy! Rock and Roll > Funky Bitch, Punch You In The Eye. This trio of openers really set the mood for the night. After each one you could feel the energy building. They threw in a couple rarer songs at the time, Horn and Ginseng, before blowing the roof off the garden with a rocking Split. Even the band needed a quick breather after that one and B&R allowed us just that. Guyute was in heavy rotation in 1998 due to the release of TSOTG. This was one of the better songs from the album and you can hear the crowd's excitement when Trey plays the opening. My Soul and Freebird had everyone out of their seats dancing and smiling before the break.

The lights go down...

Free kicks things off to our delight. I really liked this song and it was the first time I saw it live. This is one of the better versions I saw and really set the bar high for the rest of the set. Limb by Limb follows and keeps pace with the Free. The spacy jam following LxL still had everyone very interested and created a buzz across the arena for what was coming next. The band and crowd were feeding off each other's energy and once Fishman kicked into 2001 the place erupted! Didn't think they'd hit the peak from the first set Split again but when 2001 began we were in orbit. I've never seen so many people getting down together. The band obviously realized the magnitude of their crowd interaction that night and Trey keeps the dance party alive by starting up Boogie On. Rewind ~8 hours. While eating a quick breakfast at the uncle's apartment he was playing a bunch of CD's in the background. Stevie Wonder was in the mix and though I still have no idea what album it was, Boogie On was played. It prompted my friend to ask the uncle who the artist/song was. As Trey strums those opening chords my friend and I had looks of astonishment, as well as joy, as we both heard it right away. I probably never danced harder than this at a Phish show. Once it ended the buzz was electrifying. YEM starts up and it was so loud in there I don't think I could hear the band for a full ~20 seconds. Call me lucky but out of my first 4 shows, I saw 3 YEM, which considering one of them was the 28th it's the most I could have seen. I thought, and still think, the Vernon Downs YEM is one of the best I've seen (since it was my first show, too) but the one from the 29th is so absolutely flawless and the jam following the trampolines is so good it's just hard to rank any other YEM I've seen above it. Once it ended we all took a well needed seat.

My legs were aching but I couldn't have been happier. We finally have a minute to talk to each other without screaming, so we obviously debate the encore song. I guessed Divided Sky and my friend gave me the same look you just gave your computer screen. 'No fucking way they play that song as an encore!' I used loose quotes there because I think he added in more swear words. I don't even remember what he guessed, because it doesn't matter. Trey starts the Divided Sky chords and I jumped to the rafters. High fives all around from people who overheard our conversation. My friend was torn between the joy of hearing another Junta classic as the encore and hating me for calling it instead of him. He obviously realized how great it was and gave me a big hug.

The lights came on...

and I was changed forever. We both were. After the show was over we just sat down and hung out for a while. We didn't want to leave the arena. We both knew what we experienced that night was something we will remember forever. We were touring buddies all throughout the early 2000s. We've been to CA, WA, ME, FL (all in 2003) and everywhere in between. When down in New Orleans earlier this month we were discussing this show as we got our tuxes on for his wedding. I can use the full quotes here for when he jokingly exclaimed, "You're still a son of a bitch for calling that Divided Sky encore." All I could so was smile and graciously accept.
booztravlr
Mr Boombastic

Postby booztravlr » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:17 pm

18 years later and I still can't get over how much fun this show was. I've had the YEM jam on loop for most of the last hour. That same friend from above just had a baby last week too, so life is good!
booztravlr
Mr Boombastic

Return to 1998