04-04 Providence Civic Center

Discuss the 1998 shows!

04-04 Providence Civic Center

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:31 am

04-04-98 Providence Civic Center, Providence, RI

1: Tweezer > Taste, Bouncing Around the Room, Funky Bitch, Ginseng Sullivan, Limb by Limb, Lawn Boy, Character Zero

2: Birds of a Feather > Also Sprach Zarathustra* > Brother^, Ghost^^ -> Lizards, David Bowie

E: Harry Hood

*Unfinished (only one "verse"). ^After the song, Trey said, "we're going to play that again", and they played a one-minute instrumental version of "Brother". Then Trey said, roughly, "That was the single-edit radio-friendly version. This next song is radio-unfriendly; it's long and slow." ^^With tease/jam of "I Can't Turn You Loose" (originally by Otis Redding, but associated with The Blues Brothers; see also 12-29-97)
I LOOK TO THE STARS AND THE ANSWER IS CLEAR
I LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE WHAT I FEAR
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: 04-04 Providence Civic Center

Postby fone » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:41 pm

I can't believe no one has commented on this show before.

Well, yes I can, mostly because I didn't think too especially much about it myself, until yesterday and today. I'm now of the opinion that the first set may be my favorite complete set of music for the four night tour, yes, even in the light of the great second set of the night before.

For years I considered this show kind of average, except maybe for the Ghost in the second set. But after listening to it again for the first time, I'm really impressed with the first set a lot for its general solid playing. I was really impressed by the Taste and LxL, and may just have to listen to it again to make sure I'm not being fooled by my own mis-perceptions.

I know when I was there, that I also enjoyed the Bowie, even though it was a typical jazzy kind of jamming that was typical of Bowie during this general time period. Love those Bowies for that reason.

The encore Hood, although not very innovative, also fell into a jamming style that the band used quite a bit in the 97-98 time frame. Wasn't quite as memorable as my first Hood at 8/14/97, but decidedly better than my second at 12/3/97.

Nice solid show. Now let's take this show to the top of the thread.
Here's your ticket pack your bag
Time for jumpin' overboard
The transportation is here
Close enough but not too far,
Maybe you know where you are
Fightin' fire with fire
fone
The Sage

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby ADrock » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:27 am

Definitely one of my favorite 2001s. The intro is fantastic and the funk is brought hard all throughout and especially the last few minutes.
Whatever happened to Lee Van Cleef?
ADrock

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:47 pm

This is one of my favorite second sets that I've ever seen.

When glowstick wars were new and fun. There was a giant glow "worm/snake" thing being assembled during 2001 and it was surreal.

I threw up before the show, Doug's dad and I cleaned up the carpet with shampoo.

Do not eat yellow suckers given to you by a guy with a bleeding nose who says "i just did my first line last night" sitting on the seteps of the library ;)
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Postby PardonMe Doug » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:59 pm

This whole show rocks my face off. I loved the first set and the second is no joke. I don't know why everybody always talks about the Nassau shows and doesn't mention these two. I think these two Providence shows are better. Everything was a little tighter and less spacey. My opinion though, which usually only matters to me. But the Birds jam is fucking unreal and the 2001 is dance party 9000 time. Then they follow with Brother, which is always a treat. The Ghost, while standard for the time, is still the shiz and the last of the old (and prefered to me) arrangement. Then Lizards, Bowie and a Hood encore? I mean, I couldn't ask for much more. Except for another sweet show the next night.

And yes, don't take candy from strangers. :wave:
PardonMe Doug

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:07 pm

I think this Ghost is one of my favorites. I like'en me the tease.
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:12 pm

on a side note, I very clearly remember us reading the Almanac on the way down there and joking that "Brother would be sweet! Yah right" in the back of the mighty Intrepid.

that is all :wave:
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Postby alajder » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:08 pm

Yeah, what a great show. There are so many fun moments in the first set, and a serious tweezer>taste gets this show off to a smokin' start. The second set is pure magic, with a ton of improvisational highlights. A jammed out Birds rages to start, morphing into a dance party 2001. The Brother/Ghost segment is wild and thrilling, and then we are treated with a trip to Gamehendge! The encore Hood is beautiful, and features great communication between the band, ending a great night of Phish!
alajder

Postby Brother » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:26 pm

fone wrote:I know when I was there, that I also enjoyed the Bowie, even though it was a typical jazzy kind of jamming that was typical of Bowie during this general time period. Love those Bowies for that reason.

The encore Hood, although not very innovative, also fell into a jamming style that the band used quite a bit in the 97-98 time frame. Wasn't quite as memorable as my first Hood at 8/14/97, but decidedly better than my second at 12/3/97.

I listened to this one today in light of your words. Point taken about Bowies of 97-98. I hear the jazz come from Fishman. What's also pretty cool about this Bowie is the effect Trey uses during the break between the ending riff. Almost makes you feel like you're falling.

As for the Hood, during the intro Trey says something on stage about Mike, but I can't make it out. Then they give Mike this sick bass solo and the crowd roars. Page is awesome the whole way through, especially when Trey is chording up some ambiance but I don't really like the way they bring in the lyrics over that ambiance.
Brother

Postby starshine526 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:25 pm

The Ubiquitous Smokey wrote:When glowstick wars were new and fun. There was a giant glow "worm/snake" thing being assembled during 2001 and it was surreal.

I remember this! The Island Tour was my REAL first exposure to indoor Phish as well as my first introduction to the glow war.

Ran away with my face :thumbup:
Summer Tour: Bethel x3>Great Woods>Camden>MPP x2->Superball IX
E:Hollywood>Tahoe(?)
starshine526

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:35 pm

Wowza! 14 YearS?!??!

It actually seems longer to me for some reason.

But wow. Listening to the Hood now. So very good.

One of my favorite Ghosts ever.

2001 as well.

Well done Pheesh
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Postby PardonMe Doug » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:59 pm

::hurls burrito::
PardonMe Doug

Postby y0n » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:38 am

Great show, no doubt

Anyone who wants a tickle check out the first review of the show over at phish.net

Let's just say one of us is famous
y0n

Postby ghost » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:12 pm

^ good job spotting that and thanks for sharing

Way to be awesome, Bill. :wave:
ghost
Human Being

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:15 pm

PardonMe Doug wrote:::hurls burrito::

Heyyyyy getchaaaa tickeeeeetttttttttt!!!!! :lol:
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Postby PardonMe Doug » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:32 pm

:lol:
PardonMe Doug

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:28 am

Usually when I tell myself it's time to finally buy the official Island Tour CDs, I talk myself out of it, by reckoning that I never listen to the copies I've got.

But I finally splurged, found a used copy that I hope will be decent. I really like the artwork on these too.

hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:08 am

So I got it in the mail, and it's a solid copy, although disc three won't play in the car somehow (it works in the house player) ... I have the same problem with a couple other LP discs, car won't read 'em.

Do they ever actually play the 2001 song, or do they just jam that groove for 15 minutes? I'd like to relisten to see for sure, but it seemed to me they never did the tune itself.

*edit* just read the first post, I must have missed that 'verse' ...

I'm listening to the Bowie now, and thinking the upgrade to the official release was well worth it.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Return to 1998