12-01 Pauley Pavilion

Discuss the 1996 shows!

12-01 Pauley Pavilion

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:58 am

12-01-96 Pauley Pavillion, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA

1: Peaches en Regalia, Poor Heart, Cavern, Cars Trucks Buses, Character Zero, The Curtain, Down With Disease, Train Song, The Horse-> Silent in the Morning, Sample in a Jar, Run Like an Antelope

2: Tweezer-> Sparkle, Simple-> A Day in the Life, Reba, Swept Away-> Steep-> Tweezer Reprise-> Johnny B. Goode, Slave to the Traffic Light

E: Highway to Hell
I LOOK TO THE STARS AND THE ANSWER IS CLEAR
I LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE WHAT I FEAR
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: 12-01 Pauley Pavilion

Postby PardonMe Doug » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:55 pm

This show is awesome...definitely a sleeper show. Opens up hot with Peaches and Poor Heart...the rest of the first set is pretty standard until the Antelope closer that just rages.

The Tweezer second set opener is just weird in the best sense of the word. It's one of those Phish jams that just gives you that maniacal laughter every few minutes. It starts off funky and just gets progressively weirder and weirder as it goes on. The jam kind of hangs on by a thread and sounds like it's in danger of just falling apart, but they manage to push it repeatedly back to coherency. I would've said that Sparkle is a lame choice to follow such an epic Tweezer jam, but because of the nature of the jam and the reaction I had, "laugh and laughing, fall apart" was a good way to put it. I love the 96 Simples...this one isn't as fiery as some of the other ones on the tour, but makes up for it in it's mysterious light melodies. It starts off with a nice groove and then just kind of gets really mellow and pretty. The mid-second set Reba is a treat and Trey's guitar work soars for the last few minutes. I like the Swept->Steep->Tweezer Reprise followed by Jonnny B Goode. Feels like the end of the set but then they bust out a nice Slave, with lots of layerd/textural jamming until the climax at the end. Awesome set.
PardonMe Doug

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Brother » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:17 pm

It's one of those Phish jams that just gives you that maniacal laughter every few minutes.
:thumbup: Haven't heard this show but this description works for me.
Brother

Postby GratefulPhish » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:08 am

don't know whether it was on purpose or not, but almost every song hear was clumped with at least one other song that started with the same letter

especially in the first set, only noticed this because there's something alphabetical-looking about it when in list form as it is on itunes
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby goldenroad » Fri May 23, 2014 7:37 am

I've never head this show before, and I keep telling myself to, but come on, this looks fucking awesome.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Return to 1996