12-01 Hershey Park Arena

Discuss the 1995 shows!

12-01 Hershey Park Arena

Postby ghost_2000 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:30 pm

12-01-95 Hershey Park Arena, Hershey, PA

1: Buried Alive, Down With Disease, Theme From the Bottom, Poor Heart, Wolfman's Brother, Chalk Dust Torture, Colonel Forbin's Ascent-> Famous Mockingbird, Stash, Cavern

2: Halley's Comet-> Mike's Song-> Weekapaug Groove-> The Mango Song, Wilson, HYHU-> Suspicous Minds-> HYHU, David Bowie-> Catapult-> David Bowie

E: Suzy Greenberg*

*Trey pointed into the crowd at lyricist Tom Marshall, yelling "You! You!"
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Blog: View Blog (0)

12-01 Hershey Park Arena

Postby Atoms » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:34 pm

First off let me say this. Through all the time I listened to phish, I never could put my finger on the one show that I could call my favorite. I always held some shows above others but could never definitively say there was one show that stood out above all the rest. Even after the first time listening to the 12/1/95 show, I couldn't say it was my favorite. But after going back and listening to it many, many of times, I can say that it is THE show for me. This review is pretty irrelevant considering you have all heard this show.

Buried Alive - Before summer tour this year, Buried Alive was the one opener I was dead set on seeing. I always equate this song with what psychedelic polka would sound like. Trey's 95 tone adds sort of a haunting hum to an already mind fuck mixture of sounds. Short but very sweet.

Down with Disease - This DWD delivers, and it delivers quick. The composed sections are as tight as a ham sandwich. You can feel the tension build as soon as Trey starts pouring over into the jam section. The way that they attacked the type I jams in that era was insane. No wasted notes. No noodling. Fishman and Gordo are just flowing it while Trey soars over top all the while Page adds in some great rhythmic harmonies. Then when Trey hits that repeating hammeron pull off lick it just erupts sliding right back into the chorus/outro.

Theme - Composed section is nailed followed by a beautiful "Free"-esque jam. Solid.

Poor Heart - Very fast and energetic. Awesome version. So far extremely well placed song selections.

Wolfman's - Trey messes up the lyrics but just goes with it. "I liked that last one so much, I'm going to sing it again." Nice short, clifford ball-esque, purposeful jamming.

Chalkdust - I love this song so much more as a mid-set song rather than an opener. Trey starts off with some chugging licks set a nice vamp towards the peak. Extremely solid.

Forbins (mockingbird :-X) - FOURBIHNS! Narration about religion and science merging from philosophy eventually leading to the proliferation of cows. Holy cows give us holy milk which make mmmm... milk chocolate...

Stash - Pretty standard in comparison to some other versions around this era. Solid nonetheless.

Cavern - THIS is how you are supposed to end a set.

First set overall is damn good but this show is all about part 2...

Halley's- You can tell something crazy is going to happen. Fishman sounds like he is just itching to start playing before the band kicks in. 35 second "jam". An extremely "meh" version on its own but in the big picture works well.

Mike's- Mike's Song is one of those songs for me that I hold above all the rest. This is probably my favorite version I have ever heard (which weighs heavily in why this is my favorite show). The jam starts out how every good mikes should, nice and dark. You can just tell that this is shit is going to explode. Every set 2 needs a monster jam off the bat, and this is going to be it. Trey and Fishman start a nice build while Gordo is laying down the groove and page is wailing on the organ. A pseudo peak followed by a "false ending" leads back into a semi-dissonant gloomy sounding groove. Fishmans ride and Pages floating piano chords add to the dissonance against Treys minor heavy licks. Monster-funk. Then all of a sudden the floor bottoms out and everything starts floating upwards. It's this building/"destroying"/rebuilding that makes type II jams so interesting. A nice little chugging groove grows out of the air. They start gaining steam and soon are pushing towards a peak again. The momentum keeps building as Trey adds a swirling guitar sound, giving that "what the fuck is happening" feeling. Just when you think its about to explode, they drop everything and pick it back up in a funky little groove. Nice page solo with Trey on his mini percussion set and Mike on pedal bell ( ;D). The clav+wah is just dirty. Trey hops back on the Doc as we head into...

Weekapaug - The bend the Trey makes leading out of this little mini groove is defined as EPIC, no hyperbole. The whole band just creates this enormous wall of sound almost out of nowhere. One of the most seamless segues (up there with DWD->Mikes from walnut creek). Something about Trey and Mikes voices in this make it sound like they are FEELING it. Trey's ping pong guitar tone/effect/whatever it is, is something I have never heard before, or ever again. That lick is just brain warping. The whole jam just sounds so effortless and flowing. This is what the hose is. Absolutely no noodling. Just pure awesome. A weird groove grows out of the clapping of the crowd. The "what the fuck is happening" feeling starts setting in again. I can't explain what is going on here.... Peak back into the chorus.

Mango Song - Another one of my absolute favorite songs. So beautiful and spellbinding. No jamming but, man, what else could you ask for?

Wilson - What I said about chalkdust applies for this song too. I hate how some songs have been assigned a role. Some more arena rock Trey solos. Pretty ripping version. "King of Prussia".

Suspicious Minds>HYHU - Fishman actually does a great job singing this which is reason enough to listen to this. Trey rips up the set too. You can sleep better at night knowing Fishman loves you. :D

Bowie->Catapult->Bowie - Bowie highhat/space intro with catapult lyrics AND Simpsons language. Thats what kind of show this is. Not the most insane bowie ever but one of those no wasted notes, type I jams. Lots of dissonance from Trey in this one. What makes this version so awesome is the peak. It just EXPLODES. You think for a second that this isn't really going anywhere and then BAM! The exclamation point of the show.

Suzy Greenberg - Nice little way to end the show. Trey points at Tom in the crowd as almost to say "This was for you".

Reasons why you should listen to this show if you haven't already -

DWD- Epitome of type I jamming.

Forbins - Narration

Mikes->Weekapaug - The hose at its finest. One of the best mikes ever.

Bowie - Just to hear the peak.

Love this show.....!!!!!
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
we are all being pursed. some have been found, some are still running. some will keep running until they get to the end of the road, straight off the proverbial cliff. you don't have to turn back, you just have to turn around.
Atoms
The Awoken

12-01 Hershey Park Arena

Postby willbreathes » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:39 pm

No mention of how awesome a composition Mockingbird is?

I give your review a 2. On a scale of 2 to 3.

;)
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

12-01 Hershey Park Arena

Postby Highway_Bill » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:05 pm

I love this show but i have this problem where i never can listen to any 95 show all the way thru. Does anyone else have this problem?
WAZUP MA SHNIGGYS!
Highway_Bill
Good

12-01 Hershey Park Arena

Postby Highway_Bill » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:11 pm

mine burns bombastic wrote:
Weekapaug - Something about Trey and Mikes voices in this make it sound like they are FEELING it.

I actually di\d some research and this weekapaug seems to be in a different key then normal. Not quite sure but i think it is.
WAZUP MA SHNIGGYS!
Highway_Bill
Good

12-01 Hershey Park Arena

Postby willbreathes » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:17 pm

Highway_Bill wrote:I love this show but i have this problem where i never can listen to any 95 show all the way thru. Does anyone else have this problem?

Why in the world not?

Do your CDs skip?
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Re: 12-01 Hershey Park Arena

Postby youenjoymyphish » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:47 pm

This Mike's is jaw dropping, and has epic-ness oozing out from every part of it.
youenjoymyphish

Postby Brother » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:40 am

My timing is from the spreadsheet's remaster.

At 20:55, just before Weekapaug, Fishman calls Trey into the jam and Trey just unleashes this 8 second celebratory machine gun phrase that I cannot stop rewinding. :shock: Over the aud to my ears it sounds like Trey is playing that solo for the whole room, almost like the music is saying "yes, we just took this 20 minute Mike's way out there, and now we're about to pull off a flawless segue into Weekapaug!!!"
Brother

Postby Highway_Bill » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:38 am

willbreathes wrote:
Highway_Bill wrote:I love this show but i have this problem where i never can listen to any 95 show all the way thru. Does anyone else have this problem?

Why in the world not?

Do your CDs skip?

Things have changed since then. I don't know what i was thinking :crazy:
WAZUP MA SHNIGGYS!
Highway_Bill
Good

Postby PardonMe Doug » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:55 pm

Highway_Bill wrote:
willbreathes wrote:

Why in the world not?

Do your CDs skip?

Things have changed since then. I don't know what i was thinking :crazy:

I'm glad to hear this. I read your first post above and kinda went :shock:

I got this show on tape in the mail before Christmas that year, which was pretty damn fast for those standards. There were about 10 shows that I listened to so much that the cassettes wore out. This was one of those shows.
PardonMe Doug

Postby Harpua » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:41 am

Trey blows the doors off this short, type I DWD. Wowzers.

There is a point in CDT where Fish had to have thought, "F*** This song. F*** this band. F*** keeping time. I'm going to do whatever the f*** I want for a bit."
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Return to 1995