05-03 Wilks/Davis/Wing Dorm BBQ (UVM)

Discuss the 1985 shows!

05-03 Wilks/Davis/Wing Dorm BBQ (UVM)

Postby willbreathes » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:48 pm

05-03-85 Wilks/Davis/Wing Dorm Barbecue, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT

1: Mike's Song > Dave's Energy Guide

2: Scarlet Begonias-> Eyes of the World, Whipping Post, McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters-> Makisupa Policeman-> Run Like an Antelope Jam*-> The Other One

E: Anarchy

Set 1 list incomplete. Page sits in with Phish for the first time (Set 2 only). *Just a jam on the "Antelope" theme; no lyrics are performed.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: 05-03 Wilks/Davis/Wing Dorm BBQ (UVM)

Postby willbreathes » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:13 am

Last Day Party at UVM, and what better way to do it than with Phish?

This partial recording of set one starts with with Trey, "All right, Mike's Song." The beginning and lyrics of this version are just absolutely perfect. Nice, crisp, clear. Excellent, and Mike is really rolling during these parts. Really standing out. Trey takes a really nice solo in this, and there are some weird lyrics I couldn't make out at the very end, which led into Dave's Energy Guide. This piece of simple psychedelia just warms my soul. Could have almost been a standard part of Mike's Song/Groove and I would have been fine. Possibly the most exciting part may have happened after the song was finished, Trey mentions "We have Page coming up."

Well, if you read the Phish.net setlist up there, it would seem he only played set two, and I couldn't tell you if he did or not (does not circulate). But, I can tell you he definitely played on some (all?) of set three. His sound is not up in the mix at all, so it is hard to tell if he is playing or not during some/most of it. Anyways...

Set three starts off with another Scarlet Begonias, and this one involves a lyrical flub or two by Trey. It doesn't really matter with the way Mike is playing though. Really on fire and hitting everything to make my ears happy. A really great solo by Trey that actually "sounds like Trey"... and this is followed by him "soaring" into a Jerry type solo. Some real fanning going on, and just as quickly it jumps into a spacey territory. And completely seamlessly, to the point I saw it was coming up in the setlist, but was still shocked at how long it took me to realize, they flow into Eyes of the World. As far as the opening section and lyrics, I think this is the best of the three recorded versions to this point. A solid, yet simple, jam takes place, and makes me wonder if Page is around so they are keeping it somewhat simple for a reason. While thinking this, they turned on a dime into a darker and much quicker jam. Once again, I must mention, Mike is still killing this entire show.

And Mike completely takes the song into Whipping Post. He is tearing up the intro section of this song, and unfortunately the band hits a lull while entering the lyrical part. Pretty standard sounding jam when comparing it to Allman's versions. There arises a very dissonant jam, and at this point it is incredibly obvious Page is playing. He is playing well, but the equipment is just terrible. The jam comes to a complete stand still, and is picked up again as they go back into the lyrics. A somewhat funkified jam follows, and Page becomes very prominent, too bad it isn't anything spectacular.

A really ill-fated tape cut appears, and it picks up with Trey mentioning "This is a song for Mr. Fishman. This is an original song." And good ole McGrupp begins, always welcome in my book. Trey is once again completely speaking the lyrics, and even more casual than the last time. There is a another big cut in the tape, and we hop into the middle of the musical section. I can't really tell if Page is playing during this, but the two guitar attack is working better on this song than maybe any song before. So.. maybe Page is playing. After a long jam, someone, possibly Page I think, can be heard asking, "reggae?"

And more Mike awesomeness brings us to Makisupa Policeman. Same keyword as the 1984-12-01 version, which leads me to believe it is not even a keyword at this point. Page is soloing very nice, unfortunately his tools at this point are just not good. Nice playing nonetheless however. Possibly the actual keyword Trey starts after the jam, "I got a friend named John, oh he loves the drums. He'd love to roll a spliff and play those drums." Followed by a short drum solo by Fishman. Page really starts shining again, and Trey begins another "keyword" about how Jeff just got a new amp, followed by a "new amp" solo. This leads to a really great JAM. Maybe the finest jam to this date in Phish history. As if it couldn't get any better, this leads right into...

Antelope!!! At least, and Antelope Jam. Basically it contained the entire intro, and a really nice jam. Instead of heading into the lyrical section, BAM!!! They absolutely slam through a brick wall and enter The Other One. They carried over all the energy from a "typical" Antelope jam, and come racing into this Grateful Dead classic. Absolutely breathtaking. The Other One chills out for the vocal section, and a spacey jam comes creeping out. Once again, I am basically forced to mention that Mike is KILLING. Unbelievable playing on his part, and definitely something to check out. A really high energy jam throughout all of it, and it fades to nothing about as quick as Antelope started. At this point it sounds like they are soundchecking, so I can't tell if the song is over or if they are really trying to get minimalist here.

Turns out they were just messing around and doing nothing. Trey mentions they will do one more, and "It's in E." Then Page, or maybe Jeff, say "We're gonna go out with a bang." And up comes Anarchy, which lasts all of ten seconds or so. "OK, see you next year" is how Trey and Phish end it all.

Highlight, Mike Gordon. And the Antelope>The Other One. Lowlight, really tough to pick. Possibly the DEG because it doesn't vary throughout its many minutes.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:36 am

^where'd you copy/paste that from?
I LOOK TO THE STARS AND THE ANSWER IS CLEAR
I LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE WHAT I FEAR
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby willbreathes » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:54 pm

My mind, maaaan.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby destinyunfound » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:43 pm

the full setlist is
Set 1: Slave to the Traffic Light, Mike's Song > Dave's Energy Guide, Big Leg Emma

Set 2: Alumni Blues, Wild Child, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Jam -> Cities, Bring It On Home[1]

Set 3: Scarlet Begonias > Eyes of the World -> Whipping Post[2] -> McGruppMcGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters > Makisupa Policeman[3] > Run Like an Antelope -> The Other One[4]

Encore: Anarchy

[1] First known Phish performance; Bobby Brown on harmonica.
[2] Jeff on vocals.
[3] Reggae jam.
[4] First time played.

too bad the whole thing isn't on tape
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
destinyunfound

Return to 1985