Summer '16 Rumors

Will they or won't they? What have you heard?

Re: Summer '16 Rumors

Postby nugfin » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:30 am

y0n wrote:What is it about Midwest venues that they do this sort of thing. I'm looking at you Northerly Island.

The midwest is too flat for good sight-lines
I'm not good with numbers I just count on knowing when I'm high enough
nugfin

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby y0n » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:14 am

nugfin wrote:
y0n wrote:What is it about Midwest venues that they do this sort of thing. I'm looking at you Northerly Island.

The midwest is too flat for good sight-lines

Putting up stands doesn't help though :(
y0n

Postby proletariat » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:10 pm

Phishigan16 wrote:
Phinst wrote:I haven't seen much rumored on any Detroit dates, yet in 3.0 Phish has been pretty consistent with there tours. ie: gorge/tahoe every other yr. switching Atlanta/ Alpharetta every other tour and from weekend to week shows,etc.. So the Deroit every other yr thing does hold some weight. I very much enjoyed DTE last time, great venue.
I will say I have heard more than once that if they go to Detroit, West Riverfront park could be likely and a good spot for them. right on the water, plenty of room for vending.. Looks pretty cool, kind of like the venue they palyed in Nashville last summerImage

While this would be fantastic, parking and transit in would be a logistical nightmare. The capacity for the festival I was at this summer was 12,000. I know they can go up to 40K for the whole acreage (20 acres is the designated area per their site), but more than half of those people wouldn't have stage view access.
Again I would love to have it here, don't get me wrong. But I don't see this being very feasible for the amount of people that DTE can hold with far less hassle.

yeah, but you could swim to canada, brah
proletariat

Postby Phishigan16 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:24 pm

proletariat wrote:
Phishigan16 wrote:
Phinst wrote:I haven't seen much rumored on any Detroit dates, yet in 3.0 Phish has been pretty consistent with there tours. ie: gorge/tahoe every other yr. switching Atlanta/ Alpharetta every other tour and from weekend to week shows,etc.. So the Deroit every other yr thing does hold some weight. I very much enjoyed DTE last time, great venue.
I will say I have heard more than once that if they go to Detroit, West Riverfront park could be likely and a good spot for them. right on the water, plenty of room for vending.. Looks pretty cool, kind of like the venue they palyed in Nashville last summerImage

While this would be fantastic, parking and transit in would be a logistical nightmare. The capacity for the festival I was at this summer was 12,000. I know they can go up to 40K for the whole acreage (20 acres is the designated area per their site), but more than half of those people wouldn't have stage view access.
Again I would love to have it here, don't get me wrong. But I don't see this being very feasible for the amount of people that DTE can hold with far less hassle.

yeah, but you could swim to canada, brah

I'll bring my stop watch
Phishigan16

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:58 pm

I will say I have heard more than once that if they go to Detroit, West Riverfront park could be likely and a good spot for them. right on the water, plenty of room for vending.. Looks pretty cool, kind of like the venue they played in Nashville last summer

As one of the few who has actually been to one of those shows (they only had like three or four events there, I saw Jimmy Buffett), this place is awful. The sight lines are horrendous...if you have general admission you will NOT be able to see. At all. Even the TVs they place are at a height that is almost equal to the crowd so you can't even see those. The GA is just a huge flat field behind all the "reserved" seating and is quite far away...even the sound/light boards and the beer tents were in the middle in front of the lawn so getting dead-center in the lawn is actually the worst spot to be. Not to mention that you can only enter the pavillion via the sides so almost the entire show was confused people wading into the center of the lawn and milling about and getting in people's way as they looked for a way into the reserved area...though I suppose they could fix this. I will say the sound was decent though I was near the front of the lawn so maybe it was just better there.

I very much hope they don't go there and it will have to be a VERY good artist (like Phish) to get me to go there again...and if I did, I'd be throwing down the big bucks to get close and not deal with the GA nightmare.

While this would be fantastic, parking and transit in would be a logistical nightmare.

Believe it or not, parking was the least of the concerns since you can park anywhere in the city within a mile and walk there...I parked at a garage close to Joe Louis Arena and waltzed the mile along the water to get there. Though it does go through some shady-looking parts of the city, it's likely only an issue if you're late since the crowds would keep the shady types away.

Plus I think I heard they had trouble selling tickets to DTE last time.

Maybe but it's not like the place was empty.

Hmmm, huge water front venue with no sight lines for half the crowd...

Even worse, there was no sight line of the WATER either...I was in the middle of the right side and there was no water view...I got to see some tall buildings across the water in Canada, that's about it. You'd have to be way over on the side right next to the water to actually see the water. Which is funny because Detroit has a smaller venue called Chene Park which has an open stage and right through the stage (and behind it) is a lovely view of the water. Phish wouldn't play there because it's too small but it perfectly captures what they were trying to do with the Waterfront Park but not a lot of bands play there. It's not a bad little venue and security is usually breezy there since they don't ever have to deal with sold-out crowds so they don't much care where you sit.

What is it about Midwest venues that they do this sort of thing

In this case, I just came up with the excuse of "It's Detroit" since they never do anything right.
El Bastarde

Postby Phinst » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:31 pm

they only had like three or four events there

Lots of venues take some time, more than a few shows to work out the kinks/issues. Northerly Island(similiar to riverfront venue) in Chicago was the same way when it first opened, They raised the stage to help with
some of the sightlines, and there was better pedestrian flow into the stands by the second yr and made for a much nicer time. Hopefully Riverfront park has/will do the same.

The sight lines are horrendous

eh. this doesn't bother me(from time to time).. As long as I have good sound and plenty of room to dance, i can forgo seeing the band for once(since most venues arent set up like that)). Also it's no different than a festival set up.

even the sound/light boards and the beer tents were in the middle in front of the lawn

Thats no good. At Northerly they had venodrs and batrooms set up in the way back of the ga field. it was so nice. plenty of room, no lines and easy access..

Even worse, there was no sight line of the WATER either

The few "water" venues I have been to (Nashville Riverfront and Northerly Island) were pretty much how you described it
eh.. I don't really need to see the water during the show. just the sights of it before and after will do. plus just knowing you are right on the river is cool.
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2017: Chicago x2: Dayton>Pittsburgh
Phinst

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:59 pm

Lots of venues take some time, more than a few shows to work out the kinks/issues.

True, but this is Detroit so I don't expect much. Either way, I won't be back unless someone big is going there. I'm tired of "gimmicky venue" shows in general...I got sick of shows at Comerica Park too since it sucks ass anywhere but on the floor and I'm less enthusiastic about shows in football stadiums as well.

eh. this doesn't bother me(from time to time).. As long as I have good sound and plenty of room to dance, i can forgo seeing the band for once

Perhaps, but I dislike not even having the option for it. If you weren't right on the railing of that GA, you saw almost nothing. I got to see because I was next to one of the beer trucks and had a small sliver where I could see half the stage. Even at festivals, I've felt a need to at least be able to see the stage even if it's far away. If I can't, how is it different than just going to a field and putting a Phish show on the speakers?...it feels less real and feels like background music...like you're not a part of it. I guess that's me, though.

eh.. I don't really need to see the water during the show.

Me neither but why even bother when you can't see it? Also, I expected the stage to be in front of the water so you naturally see it while watching the show...that's how Chene Park is set up...you see the water through the back end of the stage. But this one had the stage to the side...even if you had view of the water, you'd have to turn your eyes to the right away from the stage to even see it. That seems dumb to me but I guess, you're right, it really doesn't matter. If the rest of the venue "worked" better I doubt I would care.
El Bastarde

Postby proletariat » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:37 pm

DTE definitely wasn't empty in 2014. pretty much what i assume to be a weekday crowd at an off-the-beaten path show.
proletariat

Postby Somethingnew » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:22 am

I'd be very excited to see Phish make their way back to Minnesota! After all its been 15 years, 4 months, 7 days & counting since they last played in MN together. That's 5607 days from 1-30-16. :-/ :crazy:
Somethingnew

Postby hosemasterflex » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:39 pm

They haven't played MN since 2000? Hey welcome to Oh Kee Pa!
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Somethingnew » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:36 am

Correct & thanks! There's a few venue options that weren't on the table since they were here last including xcel energy center st paul. With no bad seat in that building & great sound it's always a sweet venue for music. Target field Minneapolis. Outdoors downtown great choice. Tcf bank stadium on the University of MN campus. Another great outdoor option. The target center has also been renovated inside with a new sound system recently. Then there's float rite park located just across the border in somerset wi. It's a smaller outdoor venue that's has a river next to it where you'll find people floating down stream on tubes. There's options further up north also in Detroit lakes where they held the 10k fest. A 3 or 4 day phish fest would be sweet on that property.
Somethingnew

Postby y0n » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:22 pm

(maybe) 6/21 Chaifetz Arena, St. Louis, MO
6/22 Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN
6/24 Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
6/25 Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
(maybe) 6/26 Klipsch Music Center, Noblesville, IN or i-Wireless Center, Moline, IL
6/28 Forest Hills Stadium, New York, NY
6/29 Forest Hills Stadium, New York, NY
7/1 Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY
7/2 Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY
7/3 Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY
7/5 Mann Center for the Performing Arts, Philadelphia, PA
7/6 Mann Center for the Performing Arts, Philadelphia, PA
7/8 Xfinity Center, Mansfield, MA
7/9 Xfinity Theatre, Hartford, CT
7/10 Lakeview Amphitheater, Syracuse, NY
7/15 Gorge Amphitheater, Quincy, WA
7/16 Gorge Amphitheater, Quincy, WA
(maybe) 7/18 Greek Theatre, Los Angeles, CA or Santa Barbara Bowl, Santa Barbara, CA
(maybe) 7/19 Greek Theatre, Los Angeles, CA or Santa Barbara Bowl, Santa Barbara, CA
(maybe) 7/20 Greek Theatre, Los Angeles, CA or Santa Barbara Bowl, Santa Barbara, CA
(maybe) 7/22 Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, CA
(maybe) 7/23 Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, CA
(maybe) 7/24 Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, CA

9/2 D***'s Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO
9/3 D***'s Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO
9/4 D***'s Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO

Latest rumor
y0n

Postby willbreathes » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:41 pm

Thank you for editing out the awful awful name of that sporting goods store, whoever you is.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Phinst » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:09 pm

willbreathes wrote:Thank you for editing out the awful awful name of that sporting goods store, whoever you is.

That would be the mods on "that other board". But hey we can say Dick`sssssss right :wave:

Looks like the south/south east will be getting a nice fall tour, with the speculative dates above :thumbup:
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2017: Chicago x2: Dayton>Pittsburgh
Phinst

Postby y0n » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:54 pm

willbreathes wrote:Thank you for editing out the awful awful name of that sporting goods store, whoever you is.

We love D***'s!

That other board censors if you don't have an account.
y0n

Postby willbreathes » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:08 am

Happiness.

Hap-piness

Hap-penis

Penis.

VAGINA!!
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby henrietta » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:30 pm

henrietta wrote:Forest Hills Stadium! One block from LIRR, way easier than Jones Beach!

Room booked for Portsmouth....Check (off the map)
Comped room for AC......Check (off the map)
Staying in old bed for Forest Hills.......Check

Looks like I now get about 2 shows this summer.

Forrest Hills is gonna be fun. :twisted:

Looking forward to the southern fall tour......
henrietta

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:42 pm

Latest rumor

Why do the rumor-mongers hate Michigan? Fuck you, rumor guy.

And, seriously, is it REALLY that hard to predict Phish summer tour dates? I'm pretty sure I could rattle off at least half the venues they'll be at without looking.

That would be the mods on "that other board".

It's pretty damn bad when you can't even say Dicks. Are they catering the board to five-year-olds?
El Bastarde

Postby Somethingnew » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:58 pm

Very happy to see St. Paul MN on the official list!! Thanks phish!!!! phish.com
Somethingnew

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:53 pm

henrietta wrote:
henrietta wrote:Forest Hills Stadium! One block from LIRR, way easier than Jones Beach!

Room booked for Portsmouth....Check (off the map)
Comped room for AC......Check (off the map)
Staying in old bed for Forest Hills.......Check

Looks like I now get about 2 shows this summer.

Forrest Hills is gonna be fun. :twisted:

Looking forward to the southern fall tour......

So when are those Forest Hills shows again, Keith?

;)
I LOOK TO THE STARS AND THE ANSWER IS CLEAR
I LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE WHAT I FEAR
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby y0n » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:04 am

http://www.locknfestival.com/

Lockn' changed dates to late August. Rumor had that happening and Phish playing. Looking pretty likely.
y0n

Previous

Return to Rumour Mill