Phish will never reunite...

Will they or won't they? What have you heard?

Postby charlieJack » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:13 pm

i was watching Eric Clapton's Crossroads festival on PBS and was like ''huh?'' when i saw Mayer was one of the guests. then he played. then i said ''ooooh, okay, i see''. i had made a mistake. the man is a badass.

no i haven't bought any of his albums. just giving credit where it is due.
the floor will have its way it seems
it fights me like a trampoline
it won't let me to the ground
so this time i'm not coming down
charlieJack

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby checkitout » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:36 pm

^
I thougt teh same thing when I watched that program. And then I saw that clip of him where he teases Stash, and I was like "ahhh he's pretty good". just sayin'.
checkitout

Postby TanasRoot » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:41 am

^clip of Mayer teasing Stash? must... have... link!!!

;O)
"I'm not making this up..."
TanasRoot

Postby jamphandan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:10 pm

he won me over when he played with herbie hancock at bonnaroo. dude can wail.
jamphandan
Trans-Atlantic Wook

Postby TanasRoot » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:59 pm

^^message to self: "the youtube video is earlier in the thread, you moron..."

now that that's out of the way...
"I'm not making this up..."
TanasRoot

Postby henrietta » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:02 am

In an interview last week with Rolling Stone, Anastasio said, "When Phish broke up, I made some comment about how I'm not gonna go around playing 'You Enjoy Myself' for the rest of my life. And it's so funny because (Fishman) and (Gordon) and (McConnell) have been talking to each other a lot lately and now -- it's not that I can't believe that I said that, but its symbolic of how much I lost my mind or how much I lost my bearings or something. Because at this point in time I would give (anything) to play that song five times in a row every day until I die." (Friday, May 30, 2008 The Detroit News.)
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
henrietta

Postby willbreathes » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:13 am

IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:20 am

no doubt
I LOOK TO THE STARS AND THE ANSWER IS CLEAR
I LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE WHAT I FEAR
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby shmizz » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:17 pm

I once knew a kid who had the phaith and he passed it on to me and I am know worried that time has jaded and dimished his phaith.

jk
shmizz

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:38 am

^haha!

if this is fo real Justin call me Thursday!!

man, I fuckin' miss you. I might be out there this summer. But maybe not til fall.

time hasn't diminished shit!!
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Postby fluffhead316 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:11 pm

I love Phish! If and when they come back, people will just compare them to the way they were before. In my personal opinion, they will never be as good as they were before (say 93-00), so that's going to leave a wide margin for error. When they came back after Hiatus, I thought they sucked (the first run NYE and Hampton Shows), but as 03 progressed, they performed better. Still every supposed Phish phan was blathering about how they didn't play this song, or they played Rock & Roll way to much (actually beat that song and Seven bellow into the ground I agree), but no one took into account what they wanted to do as a band, and until Phans start taking the boys Feelings into consideration, they should stay broken up. Post Hiatus tour crowd by far was the worst of the worst. Long Live Phish!
fluffhead316

Postby charlieJack » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:33 am

^ that post cracks me up for some reason.
charlieJack

Postby ladyphish » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:16 pm

^Actually, I agree with most of it.
I've been doing this a long time and have seen lots of changes most of which I can't fucking stand...but I still go anyway because I'm there for the MUSIC and so I tolerate all that other bullshit because I DO get the point. So there :-)
ladyphish
The No Good Pa

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:32 pm

^of course you do.
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Postby ladyphish » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:13 pm

^and of course you have something to say about that.

What exactly was inaccurate in that post?

If and when they come back, people will just compare them to the way they were before

Do you not agree that people will compare them to how they used to play in their prime because I think that's pretty much a given.

In my personal opinion, they will never be as good as they were before (say 93-00)

It's their opinion and as a 13+ year Phish fan, I happen to agree. Don't think they will ever be as techinically proficient as they were in their 20's and early 30's, which is the era this person used in their statement. The proof is in the playing as we watched Trey struggle post hiatus to play the compositions he himself wrote. He wouldn't even attempt Fluffhead.

When they came back after Hiatus, I thought they sucked (the first run NYE and Hampton Shows), but as 03 progressed, they performed better.

Anybody who has listened to the NYE and Hampton shows from 2003 cannot without cracking a smile tell me those were solid shows. Trey restarted YEM because he knew how bad it was and that he could do better. By Greensboro, they had hit their stride.

Still every supposed Phish phan was blathering about how they didn't play this song

I don't know how you missed that because it was rampant. All the old school fans bitched about post hiatus and how slim pickings the setlists were. I had several friends that stopped seeing them because they were bored with the same shit So many people lost interest. Hell, as happy as I was to see them, I wanted a little more variety myself.

no one took into account what they wanted to do as a band

Hit it right on the head. Everybody wanted Phish back, wanted their tour days back, wanted things the way they used to be, wanted a chance to see them for the first time...but the guys weren't kids anymore. As much as I love old school Phish, I realized that they are ever evolving and will never be Junta again. The diehards and old school people who couldn't accept that left never to return. The newbies thought it was the greatest shit they had ever heard because, no offense, they didn't know any better. They wanted them to stay around at all costs because they had only gotten a tease and I can completely understand that. Even now, how many times a day do you think these guys get told to "Get the boys back together!" Not because it's what's best for the guys but because it's what the fan wants to make himself happy.

Post Hiatus tour crowd by far was the worst of the worst

From my observations and in my opinion only, this was absolutely true.

And so, PHG, like I said, I agree with most of what he said. If you don't like my opinions, which you routinely voice that you don't, you are absolutely entitled to disagree. However, getting called out by you is getting really old. New hobby, please? haha

And thanks for helping me kill half an hour at work :-)
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've been doing this a long time and have seen lots of changes most of which I can't fucking stand...but I still go anyway because I'm there for the MUSIC and so I tolerate all that other bullshit because I DO get the point. So there :-)
ladyphish
The No Good Pa

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:30 pm

calm down LP, nothing I've ever posted here warrants that long of a response. Almost all I say here is my own dim-witted sarcasm that I guess kind of gets me off, or else I wouldn't do it.

the post is legit, sure, but it just reminded me exactly of the sometimes long, rambling dissertations that you post that I only get half way through reading before stopping. So I thought that you of course would agree with it....haha??

so I guess I was "calling you out," but not maliciously. It's OK.
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Postby ladyphish » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:34 pm

I wasn't aware I needed calming lol. Long rambling dissertations I'll give you, but I only post those when I'm trying to kill time at work. When I start making drunken assertations of my life's short-comings as you do, perhaps you will be able to make it through one of those :-)
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
ladyphish
The No Good Pa

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:37 pm

perhaps

and actually I don't really agree with that post completely, because, believe it or not, some people still appreciated seeing Phish in '03 and '04. It's all I had!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Postby marco » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:38 pm

lol
Reinvented, redefined; rearranged, but not refined
marco
One

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby neck » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:40 pm

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!
neck
Third Eye Warrior

Postby charlieJack » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:11 pm

Ladyphish wrote:^Actually, I agree with most of it.

i wasn't saying he was wrong or anything, just that there was something funny about the way he wrote it....or something. i dunno.

here's my perspective on all that: i feel very lucky because i really, actually, deeply enjoyed phish in all the different phases i saw them in. i've said it before that i loved coventry. it was wild, man. i was always fascinated by how organically they allowed thier sound to change and evolve and reflect their personalities, even if it wasn't as "tight" as it used to be. i never compared the different eras in that kind of way. hell, the sloppy post hiatus sound that bothered so many people? i just called it "jangely" and thought it was sweet.

charlieJack

Postby ladyphish » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:52 pm

^Right on, CJ. I didn't think you were saying you disagreed. Just putting my .02 in there :-)
ladyphish
The No Good Pa

Postby Fee » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:50 am

Don't mean to butt in on your conversation with phg ladyphish, but I tend to disagree with alot of your points.

The New Years Run and Hampton shows reunion were a slopfest. Hell i was lucky enough to score a ticket to the MSG show and to say it was one of my top shows I saw would be a lie. I do however think their are alot of quality shows from Spring and Summer of 03. I guess I just don't get the variety argument. I mean they debuted a new album and the new songs were in heavy rotation. I wasn't thrilled with this either, but that is always how it goes. Do you think the fans in 95 and 96 were upset at the lack of variety of the setlists. I mean they were playing alot of Billy Breathes stuff and some of those shows lacked variety. I'm not trying to call out your friends that left tour or anything, but were they song seekers? There were plenty of good shows in 2003. I can't argue 2004. I wasn't there have barely listened to any of 2004 and maybe that's what your talking about.

Do you think there was a honest effort put forth by the band to not play Fluffhead. I think there are more difficult songs to play then Fluffhead. Granted its a complex composition, but they were regularly playing compositions. I just think it fell out of rotation. The last Fluffhead was what in Vegas of 2000. Maybe I'm wrong, but Fluffhead had turned into pretty much a 1 or 2 times a tour played song in late 98. I just think they had alot of new material they were getting out there. Why is everyone always stuck on Fluffhead? I love Fluffhead too, but there are other great songs out there.

I'm certainly not trying to start something and I respect your opinion, but I was not a newbie in 2003 and had a blast. I know alot of people that don't like post hiatus shows, but hey to each their own.
Fee
20th Century Child

Postby Fee » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:53 am

I forgot to mention that I remember Summer 2000 everyone was complaining that Gotta Jiboo and Sand were overplayed. Maybe, but they turned into two pretty solid tunes and funny enough both songs fell out of rotation. I don't know why certain songs get shelved?
Fee
20th Century Child

Postby ladyphish » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:25 pm

Fee, you're more than welcome to disagree with me. So is Phg or anyone else. I'm used to it around here, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest. :-) Please jump in where you feel you have something to contribute. It makes things alot more lively around here.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I don't want you to think that I was saying all of 03-04 was as bad as Hampton and MSG. It was nothing like before hitauts, but I was agreeing with that person that the first 4 were bad and the rest, while MUCH better, weren't as tight as before the break. Like I said, they hit their stride and things were alright. I was just using fluffhead as an example. It was somewhat rare before, I think people got stuck on it because they refused to play it. I guess the variety arguement could be made at any phase of the game. My ex did some tour in 95 ( I think) and said he got tired of hearing them cover A Day in the Life and Amazing Grace... but he's a dead head so he doesn't count :-) And no my friends weren't song seekers at all. I think they just wanted some new experiences or something, who knows. That's a good question about the shelving. If you ever get face to face with one of them, be sure to ask and report back to us :-)
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ladyphish
The No Good Pa

PreviousNext

Return to Rumour Mill