Good Morning Oh Kee Pa

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Good Morning Oh Kee Pa

Postby ghost » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:41 am

It's after midnight. That counts as morning. I just flew into Milwaukee from DFW. (My parents live in Illinois midway between Milwaukee and Chicago. The drive to/from the airports is the same. I just find the cheaper flight.) I just need to get my 8 hours of sleep, and this Friday can really begin. My train leaves Waukegan tomorrow just after 3:00. My cousin lives in Chicago and is going to meet me at the train station. And then, holy shit, Phish.

Good morning. I'm going to sleep. :wave:
ghost
Human Being

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby ladyphish » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:28 am

El Bastarde wrote:
Also, I just noticed that Mike is coming to Michigan on 10/1 which I'm pretty sure if the first time he's come here. I haven't listened to anything he's done but I still kinda want to go. Even funnier is I have tickets for Paul McCartney for 10/2 so it'd be two nights in a row...I even tried getting tix for Paul's 10/1 show and couldn't because there were barely any available so it kind of seems like destiny.

Mike is by FAR the best solo act of the 4. Highly advise going. You will not be disappointed.

Very early good morning. Fell asleep too early which means I woke up too early.

Tweaked the shit outta my back on Tuesday and still not great. Better, but definitely not okay. It's happened a couple other times in the past 2 or 3 years, but not this badly. It usually goes back to normal after 2 or 3 days, but 3 days and 2 chiropractic adjustments later, it still hasn't fully released. Wasn't lifting a patient or anything strenuous. Luckily my mom was visiting and has been able to help me out. Getting old suuuuuucks :-(
I've been doing this a long time and have seen lots of changes most of which I can't fucking stand...but I still go anyway because I'm there for the MUSIC and so I tolerate all that other bullshit because I DO get the point. So there :-)
ladyphish
The No Good Pa

Postby GratefulPhish » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:51 am

Good morning. Camping 10 miles outside of DC. Can't wait to get to the hotel and go back to sleep. Woke up at 6:30 today and around 4:00 yesterday (we camped in VA). Need to rest up for MMJ tonight.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby fone » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:40 pm

ghost wrote: And then, holy shit, Phish. :wave:

About says it all. Have a helluva time Eli!

Going to see Phish for the first time in over 18 months next Saturday, and have no expectations or excitations about it. Don't know how I feel about that necessarily, it just is what it is. I think I'm looking forward to making the trip to MSG with themomadans and themomadave most of all.

Actually had a friend back out of a ticket so Dave and I will be sitting together at a bar seat in section 204. Sat in 204 once before for a show, and it was one of the best seats in the house, if you can't be up front on the floor. So I'm kind of jazzed for the good times ahead with good friends, more than I am for the music. Since I have no idea of where the band is or what to expect, Saturday could only be better no matter how they play.

GMOKP by the way.
Go down in your own way
And everyday is the right day
And as you rise above the fear lines in his frown
You look down
Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd
fone
The Sage

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:57 pm

Mike is by FAR the best solo act of the 4. Highly advise going. You will not be disappointed.

Well, I'm quite fond of Trey's solo shows but this is good praise. I may have to check out a few albums but what I've heard has been solid. Went on a buying spree yesterday for shows coming to Michigan: Spafford, Aqueous, Billy Strings, The Werks...all these fun small-time bands.

So I'm kind of jazzed for the good times ahead with good friends, more than I am for the music. Since I have no idea of where the band is or what to expect, Saturday could only be better no matter how they play.

I think this is almost the way to go. With no expectations, there is little room for disappointment. You're just going to see the boys and it doesn't matter what they play...I'm usually like this when I see them too.

And, man, I'm pumped for tonight and I'm not even going. Just want to fire up some shaky audience stream and enjoy the boys again.

Should be a fun week, really. Phish all weekend, Game of Thrones on Sunday, Wimbledon Finals matches, then Tom Petty/Peter Wolf on Tuesday, then Tedeschi Trucks Band on Sunday.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:19 pm

El Bastarde wrote:
So I'm kind of jazzed for the good times ahead with good friends, more than I am for the music. Since I have no idea of where the band is or what to expect, Saturday could only be better no matter how they play.

I think this is almost the way to go. With no expectations, there is little room for disappointment. You're just going to see the boys and it doesn't matter what they play...I'm usually like this when I see them too.

In 2012 and 2013 I would go to shows with outrageous expectations. I was constantly bitching about the lack of 20 minute jams, Trey ripcording, etc. I saw 5 shows in that time period and only let myself enjoy one (7.1.2012).
I literally left Northerly 2013 night 3 upset.

Looking back at that time, yes Northerly 13 N 1 sucked, but all the other shows were pretty good. My attitude was what sucked.

Since then I have enjoyed every single show I have seen. Even the shows that I consider below average ( I don't have expectations going in, but that doesn't mean I take off my critic hat) are overwhelmingly positive experiences. Seeing what I consider a below average Phish show is still better that 99.99% of everything else I do.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby TanasRoot » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:15 pm

there is something palpably different about this year i think we all feel it i mean this board was DEDDDD like a year ago and everyone's buzzing now phish has ditched the LEDs LET'S GOOOOOOOO :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
"I'm not making this up..."
TanasRoot

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:31 pm

Seeing what I consider a below average Phish show is still better that 99.99% of everything else I do.

I try to keep this type of attitude with Phish and other jambands of the type. I see enough "normal shows" that it's easy to compare how much better these guys are.

and everyone's buzzing now phish has ditched the LEDs

LOL. I'd say the sick second sets this weekend helped that a bit as well. Both Sat and Sun night were top notch though Friday may have been the best overall show start-to-finish. I need to give that Thread song another listen.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:30 pm

El Bastarde wrote:
and everyone's buzzing now phish has ditched the LEDs

LOL. I'd say the sick second sets this weekend helped that a bit as well.

No, it's the LEDs.

Back to reality tomorrow, but at least I got to unplug, unwind and spend 3 days and 3 beautiful nights in the magical realm of unreality that was Northerly Island. That did not suck.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby y0n » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:56 pm

TanasRoot wrote:there is something palpably different about this year i think we all feel it i mean this board was DEDDDD like a year ago and everyone's buzzing now phish has ditched the LEDs LET'S GOOOOOOOO :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

They've been on fire since Vegas though. Still had LEDs at Vegas and MSG.
y0n

Postby TanasRoot » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:56 am

so i'm not sure i guess cuz i hate punctuation and don't use it but since i see now multiple people have taken what i wrote out of context i should step in.

i made the comment before any music went down so it had nothing to do with me judging anything about the shows since i couldn't ...

it was meant to be read like : " this board was dead... everyones buzzing ... phish ditched the LEDs... im excited who's excited? " kind of four distinct but merging thoughts (dammit tanas stop thinking in four dimensions)

i was hoping to paint a picture that things were kind of lining up in nice fashion for tour to start kinda a getting back to roots vibe

gonna post a pic of tonights sunset in dayton in a minute
TanasRoot

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:21 pm

No, it's the LEDs.

Wow, I never knew.

And don't worry, Tanas...we're just poking fun. I'm feeling the love too. Things just change when the boys are on the road.

But, I'm blowing all that off tonight since I'm seeing Tom Petty tonight. I would have probably made the trip to Dayton tonight but I already had tix for Petty and he's damn good live in his own right. Peter Wolf opening too and he's always a trip. Got tomorrow off and then Tedeschi Trucks Band on Sunday. Good times.
El Bastarde

Postby TanasRoot » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:29 pm

TanasRoot

Postby PardonMe Doug » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:39 pm

Taking up space for another hour and a half here before heading to Dayton. Pretty much all I've done so far today is scroll through setlists of old shows I've seen reminiscing. But I was here when the bossman strolled through and that's all that counts :thumbup:
PardonMe Doug

Postby Harpua » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:05 pm

No longer morning, but it is my lunch break. Good "My Lunch Break" OKP!

I really didn't want to be thrown back into the real world, but despite my consternation it apparently happened anyway. Things sorta hit the fan when I was gone, the fall out from this shit-storm should be known on Friday. My ass is completely covered, so I am certain I will walk away unscathed, depending on how much flailing the drowning men do, but it is still an unsettling feeling.

That was pretty cool of Phish to give us a free webcast. Did something happen for which they are making it up to us? Announcing - no free downloads - after tickets were purchased, maybe? Or was this out of the kindness of their hearts? Either way, I am glad they did!
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:08 pm

That was pretty cool of Phish to give us a free webcast. Did something happen for which they are making it up to us? Announcing - no free downloads - after tickets were purchased, maybe?

Maybe making up for there not being one for Chicago? Or maybe to sell people on buying the Baker's Dozen package by offering it as a preview.

Either way, I didn't see it as I was at Tom Petty/Peter Wolf on Tuesday. Dude's still got it as he continues to extend a lot of his songs...he's just a total pro at this. Even added in a few backup singers which really helped the harmonies. Peter Wolf was his usual awesome self...I could watch that guy play anything. One of the best.

Caught the 2nd set last night though...both the Trey songs were impressively played.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:54 pm

Another fun weekend ahead. Baker's Dozen streams, the British Open and Tedeschi Trucks Band Sunday night for me. We'll try to fit in Game of Thrones after TTB but we'll see on that since I'm working the next day. We'll give it a shot. If not, it's something to look forward to on Monday.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:56 pm

El Bastarde wrote:That was pretty cool of Phish to give us a free webcast. Did something happen for which they are making it up to us? Announcing - no free downloads - after tickets were purchased, maybe?

Maybe making up for there not being one for Chicago? Or maybe to sell people on buying the Baker's Dozen package by offering it as a preview.

I bet you are right. It was probably a promotion for BD.

When they announced no Chicago webcast, there were lots of folks melting about it. I get disappointed, but angry? They do a decent amount for their fans, and are under no obligation to provide a simulcast of every show. Maybe they weren't happy with ticket sales? In baseball and basketball, if a team doesn't meet a minimum stadium capacity the network blacks-out the game for that market. Maybe they were worried that simulcasting early tour rust would deter fans from ordering the BD casts. Phish is a business, so I am sure the decision to not simulcast the show was a well-researched business decision.

El Bastarde wrote: Tedeschi Trucks Band Sunday night for me. We'll try to fit in Game of Thrones after TTB but we'll see on that since I'm working the next day.

I’ve been wanting to catch TTB, but the tour/timing has never worked out. For the Red Rocks shows, the website says “with The Wood Brothers, Hot Tuna and John Medeski” on Saturday, and “with The Wood Brothers, Hot Tuna and John Bell” on Sunday. The punctuation confuses me here. Does this mean that Medeski and Bell will be playing with Hot Tuna? Or does this mean that they will be playing with TTB? (John Bell has to join TTB on stage, Right!?)

GOT – I have not seen the newest episode, and I have gone out of my way to avoid spoilers. Watching TV is not a relaxing (or even pleasant) experience for me (baseball notwithstanding), there is something in the back of my mind that gnaws at me, telling me I should be doing something else. A half an hour here and there is fine, but when I dedicate an hour (or more) to it, it makes me anxious. I will likely wait until Twin Peaks wraps up before I start this season of GOT.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby marley » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:31 pm

Good morning OKP!!!! It's Comicon here in SD this weekend.... Live long and prosper!!!
#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Postby goldenroad » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:14 pm

So, Phish, right?!
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby Katiemay » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:40 am

Harpua wrote:In baseball and basketball, if a team doesn't meet a minimum stadium capacity the network blacks-out the game for that market.

Why? That seems like a pretty crappy thing to do. Like punishment.
Katiemay

Postby fone » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:53 pm

goldenroad wrote:So, Phish, right?!

Yes, right.

So themomadave had a previous commitment for tonight that he couldn't get out of, so I thought about who I'd like to go to the show with and spend some time in the city, and my thoughts kept coming back around to our 16 year old granddaughter Madison.

Now Maddie doesn't listen to Phish and had little idea of who they were except that Papa likes them. So I asked her to consider the idea of seeing the show tonight, but to consider in the light of how she might possibly enjoy the music, and not just make it about going into the city to be treated by her pops. I told her that there were a lot of good fans of the music who would value the ticket if she didn't think she would like the music.

But Mad likes music in general and has a broad variety of types that she likes. She even enjoyed Yanni a few years back when Matt got us into the show at PNC, so I asked her to stream some music by Phish and make an honest determination as to whether she would get anything from the concert.

She got back to me after a day and a half, and said she really liked what she heard and would enjoy hearing them play live. Spoke with her mom last night, and it seems she's very excited about tonight, which up to this point convinced me that I made the offer to the right grandkid.

So in a few hours, we'll be tootling off to a Baker's Dozen. Plan an early arrival, a walk up to Bryant Park and Time's Square, then dinner at Niles where I'll introduce her to Pei-Yi and her sister. Don't have too much trouble believing this will be a very special show, no matter what is played.
Go down in your own way
And everyday is the right day
And as you rise above the fear lines in his frown
You look down
Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd
fone
The Sage

Postby ghost » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:00 pm

* That sounds great. I hope the best time is had by all.

Good morning. I'm excited for more Phish tonight.

Someone needs to make Phishcenter videos on YouTube. Like Sportscenter, but with a recap and highlights of that night's show.

Katiemay wrote:
Harpua wrote:In baseball and basketball, if a team doesn't meet a minimum stadium capacity the network blacks-out the game for that market.

Why? That seems like a pretty crappy thing to do. Like punishment.

Punishment. Exactly. That old curmudgeon Bill Wirtz kept Blackhawks home games off TV forever. Forever. His death was the beginning of the team's resurgence.
ghost
Human Being

Postby Katiemay » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:13 pm

GAOKP. Bill, I am taking my 18 year old nephew to his first show on 8/1 and I am more excited for that show than any other. Watching the webcast last night, I kept thinking about his reaction to the music and the lights. He said he loved Dead & Co at SPAC and there he was on the lawn with shitty sound and sight, so I am confident he'll enjoy Phish at MSG.

I love webcasting. Great idea.
Katiemay

Postby GratefulPhish » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:05 pm

Here ya go Eli, this guy is my favorite. He's hilarious....SPAGHETTI SPAGHETTI!!! He's a minor celebrity on the Panic board I'm on.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion