Game of Thrones Thread (Holy F**king Dragons Edition)

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Game of Thrones Thread (Holy F**king Dragons Edition)

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:18 pm

^I agree that Season 5 kind of lost its way a little bit but I thought it ended on a strong enough note to redeem it. Season 6 was pretty great though...those last two episodes are up there with anything else in the show.
El Bastarde

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:43 pm

Well, more of a set-up episode but it's nice to be back.

I was disappointed that Jaime didn't demand to know who is feeding Ser Pounce but both the Cersei scenes were pretty excellent. Always love her. It's hard to say how she'll make it out of this but I don't think it'll be as easy as we think.

Liked Euron's audience and I have no clue what "gift" he may have...lots of coworkers are saying it's Tyrion but I can't imagine how Euron or his crew would get close enough to take Tyrion and not just be able to just kill Dany too.

Looks like we have a small conflict brewing with Jon and Dany since we find out there's dragonstone there while Dany just moved in. And, as polite as Jon may be, Dany's now taking any demands from the West...she's there for conquest, not bargaining. Speaking of, the poop/stew/dry-heave montage with Sam was humorous...also a bummer than it looks like poor Jorah ended up in some sort of quarantine but I guess there's not much else for him to do.

Also, I didn't recognize Ed Sheeran at all...I'm not sure if I should be proud of that. Also, not quite sure how Arya's doing Walder's voice...I know she technically did become a Faceless Man so maybe that's some side effect or side magic with using the masks.

"Shall we begin?"
El Bastarde

Postby Katiemay » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:56 am

Yeah, I think the face covers everything, voice too. "Killer" scene that was. I love getting vengeance through Arya Stark.
Katiemay

Postby willbreathes » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:49 am

I believe gift means poison.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby willbreathes » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:45 pm

HOLY SHIT EURON.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:38 pm

HOLY SHIT EURON.

Agreed. And, to be fair, did any of us think for a bloody second that Theon was going to be the one taking out Euron at that point? Euron's a fucking BEAST. Dude took down two Sand Snakes single-handedly and with their own weapons, easily bested Yara in combat and then made Theon piss his pants...all in one episode. Dude's raising his profile quite a bit this year...I already liked him after last episode so this was impressive. I guess Ellaria is going to be the "gift"...perhaps Cersei will hand the Mountain another girlfriend?

Is it me or did Baylish only go down there to piss off Jon? He was saying rude stuff over and over until he snapped. Seemed like a weird thing to attempt there.

Also, I really liked Jon Snow flipping things around on Sansa by declaring her the leader. And, of course, Jon is leaving right as Bran is likely heading South to tell him about his past. And, when I think about it, Bran is technically still the rightful heir to the North...I wonder if him returning would cause some discord up there or not.

Arya's scene with Hot Pie was cool as well...she goes there just to basically get food, Hot Pie is way too happy to hear his bread is good, he breaks the news on Jon Snow and then has the great line of "I'm a survivor, like you." Also, does the scene with Arya's dog change her mind? She used the "It's not you" line which is a reference to when Ned told Arya she will marry a lord and she said "that's not me." So it means her dog isn't the type to go running back to Winterfell anymore...if Arya sees herself as the same, does that keep Arya from going back to?

So, it did seem just a little too easy for Dany to take over at the start of the season. Now she's got the setback with her fleet being smashed, Cersei maybe having some anti-dragon artillery, her Dorne allies captured and her own hangup over not wanting to slaughter everyone as she takes over. Last episode was definitely setup but they brought it on Sunday. Love it.
El Bastarde

Postby Katiemay » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:04 pm

El Bastarde wrote:Also, does the scene with Arya's dog change her mind? She used the "It's not you" line which is a reference to when Ned told Arya she will marry a lord and she said "that's not me." So it means her dog isn't the type to go running back to Winterfell anymore...if Arya sees herself as the same, does that keep Arya from going back to?

Interesting. I took a completely different meaning from that line. It seemed to me that even though Nymeria recognized Arya's face and voice, she wasn't "feeling" her, even though Arya kept saying to her "it's me." After the wolf ran off, Arya realized it's because she is not really herself anymore. She is No One, but is still fully coming to terms with it.
Katiemay

Postby willbreathes » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:52 pm

I feel if the direwolf did not recognize Arya, she would have been attacked right there. Thus ending an amazing storyline with a dumb finale.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:13 pm

After the wolf ran off, Arya realized it's because she is not really herself anymore. She is No One, but is still fully coming to terms with it.

Naw, I don't think it's that. It's just Arya realizing her wolf is just like herself in that it's a free spirit who is doing its own thing now. Much like Arya in a sense.

And, wow, I had to rewatch some scene from last Sunday...for all the battle scenes the ones with one-on-one conversations were easily the best scenes. Jon-Davos/Dany's Court, Tyrion/Jon, Tyrion/Dany, Dany/Jon, Jaime/Olenna, Cersei/Banker, Sansa/Bran, even Jorah/Sam for the feel-good moment of the week.

In the end, Cersei's just making the moves that are either unexpected or that no one else will make and it's winning for her now. Dany's playing nice and isn't even being allowed to take out the dragons for a ride and it's more holding her back. I'm wondering when she'll let loose a bit.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:44 pm

Sam is going to be the hero. One of those scrolls he is copying is going to give some very valuable information.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:58 pm

Sam is going to be the hero.

How dare you. He already is! I nominate Sam for Prince Who Was Promised.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:09 pm

Hearing rumors that the woman who walked in on Jamie and Cersei... was "no one".
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Katiemay » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:59 pm

Olenna's final scene couldn't have been more perfectly suitable for her character. Spitfire right to the end.
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:10 pm

Hearing rumors that the woman who walked in on Jamie and Cersei... was "no one".

Except, as far as we know, "no one" is currently heading North. I did find it strange that it appears that Cersei's assistants are adopting the same hairstyle as she is.

Olenna's final scene couldn't have been more perfectly suitable for her character. Spitfire right to the end.

Jaime's face when she delivered the confession was priceless...I thought he was gonna lop her head off right there. You can see him realizing the chain of events that she set off by poisoning Joffrey...Oberyn's death, Myrcella's death, etc, etc
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:45 pm

El Bastarde wrote:Except, as far as we know, "no one" is currently heading North. I did find it strange that it appears that Cersei's assistants are adopting the same hairstyle as she is.

That was my thought.

Then the idea was brought up, what if "no one's" meeting with Nymeria reminded "no one" that Winterfell is not where a girl belongs.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:27 pm

Then the idea was brought up, what if "no one's" meeting with Nymeria reminded "no one" that Winterfell is not where a girl belongs.

I mentioned thinking the same thing with my write-up after that show. But then I think it was just Arya realizing that her dog wasn't a lapdog who would follow her back to Winterfell but I don't know if this changed her mind. Guess we'll find out.

So apparently some episodes are being leaked. I don't plan on watching them too much earlier but it'd be nice if I could get them on Sunday afternoon so I don't have to wait until 10pm on Sunday evening to start downloading them.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:08 pm

Holy shit, what a way to end last night. We've been waiting all this time to see Dany swooping in on a battle and we got it. Glad to see that someone noticed that, while she shouldn't be burning down cities, she can certainly burn down armies. It reminded me of the Battle of the Bastards where I felt there was like ten times in that fight where Jon Snow was gonna bite it...I felt the same about Jaime last night. Thought Bronn was going to get roasted on that catapult as well. I kinda liked the idea of Jaime's desperation move to just take out Dany right there but execution wasn't so great. Also, I thought that was mostly a small puddle they fell into so I was surprised they showed Jaime sinking so far.

Regardless, we have the potential of a Tyrion/Jaime and Tyrion/Bronn reunion if they all survive after last night. It also seemed strange of Dany to burn down the caravan when I figured she'd want all those grains for herself but whatever. What a fucking scene.

Bran is getting more and more interesting with each scene...at any moment I feel he can toss out some tidbit or revelation just if he feels like it. I loved him tossing "chaos is a ladder" back at Baelish and then confirmed Arya's list with Sansa standing there. I was hoping he'd toss out "you betrayed Ned" back at Baelish but I kinda realize that's something Bran would say and he's much Bran anymore so something like Ned's murder isn't that important to him...his mind seems really cluttered so he seems to only be half-focused at times...probably an effect of "not being ready" to be the Three-Eyed Raven when it happened. At the same time, all it takes is someone sitting down and asking Bran the right questions to get him to spill. Arya seems really suspicious of Littlefinger...makes me wonder if she'll do some investigating and start with Bran.

Speaking of, I gotta watch the sparring scene with her and Brienne again. Loved her tossing in some water dancer moves from ole Syrio.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:42 pm

This finally rings true, Holy F**cking Dragon Edition.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Katiemay » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:59 pm

That sparring scene was on point!

Anyone else have a problem with the fact that Qyburn's Scorpion just happened to be brought along on this trip to Highgarden? I have never been hung up on a plot hole in this show, but this one is really bothering me.

Other than that, brutally awesome battle scene. And all the scenes at Winterfell were very gratifying to watch.
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:57 pm

Anyone else have a problem with the fact that Qyburn's Scorpion just happened to be brought along on this trip to Highgarden?

I am going to make the assumption that Qyburn had more than one of those things made. There's probably some lining the ramparts of King's Landing and it doesn't seem like the dumbest idea for an army to carry one around
"just in case."

The thing that probably bothered me was Jaime being tackled off his horse and there's apparently some 15-foot dropoff from the shore into that lake. Though part of me thinks that Jaime sinking down was more of a "symbolic" effect than representing how much he's actually sinking. But otherwise that scene is everything we've been waiting for...to see one of those things against an army. Holy fucking dragons, indeed.

Even funnier is my Mom has no idea of the show but she was visiting and she watched the whole scene with me...she was convinced that Dany was the bad guy which was pretty humorous. Kinda shows how the show toys with our emotions like that...we want Dany to win but we also didn't want Bronn and Jaime roasted either.
El Bastarde

Postby Katiemay » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:47 pm

Learned last night that there was a possible Catelyn Stark sighting in Winterfell during last week's episode. If only I could be half as astute as some of the viewers of this show are. I did wonder why they showed a bit of her death scene in the 'previously on.' Those always have a connection to something contained in the upcoming episode. I'm guessing it's just a nod, a fleeting haunting, as opposed to introducing the Lady Stoneheart character this late in the game.

http://www.ndtv.com/offbeat/you-probably-missed-this-game-of-thrones-moment-its-freaking-fans-out-1735948?site=full
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:31 pm

^Yeah, I saw that article to. I'm guessing it's just an extra and folks are just remarking she looks like Cat. It's way too late for the Stoneheart stuff now.

So last night I thought the Jon/Dany stuff moved a little too quickly. I mean both sides seemed to collectively decide "Whelp, this war is over" and now there's this idea of a truce to actually handle the Walkers BEFORE the war is done. And this idea to bring an actual walker to Cersei herself? Even with seeing one, it's hard to say she'll change her tune in any way. This just seems like a way to let her scheme her way out of this and she basically stated exactly that.

So then we have Jaime meeting Tyrion, Genndry just showing up as some crazed hammer-wielding warrior, and then they're suddenly in the North and teaming up with the Hound and marching north to capture a walker...it just seemed like a dramatic shift in things and with us ending up with a JRPG party marching north to hunt zombies.

And, yeah, we're all wondering if Cersei is lying about the pregnancy but it'd be eventually hard for her to lie about something like that. Though, if she is...

The Baelish/Arya/Sansa stuff was easily the most interesting...just when we thought LF was out, he's got Arya on his side opposing Sansa. From what I read, that note's the one Cersei forced Sansa to write to tell Winterfell to bow to Joffrey...Arya wouldn't know she was forced to do it and see it as more proof of Sansa conspiring. I will say that I was less impressed by Arya's spying efforts in this one and it shows as LF was all over it.

And did I hear Gully spew out "Rhaegar" and "annulment" before Sam piped in? This would mean that not only is Jon a Targaryen, he's not a bastard. I'd only assume the annulment was Rhaegar breaking up with Elia Martel sp he could marry Lyanna in some secret wedding. Seems more and more that it wasn't a kidnapping at all...Was Robert's Rebellion all just over two lovers running off together?

And where's Sam going? Back to his family home? Seems like he still don't know about his Dad and bro.
El Bastarde

Postby Katiemay » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:49 pm

I think Sam is headed to The Wall. Jon will probably have to tell him about his family.
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:19 pm

^Everyone keeps saying that and it seems like way too much work and hassle. And why'd he want to drag Gilly and that kid back to a place where they're immediately in danger. At the least, I think he'd drop them off somewhere...maybe at his family home. I'd think he'd find out there.
El Bastarde

Previous

Return to Non-Phish Discussion