Good Morning Oh Kee Pa

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Good Morning Oh Kee Pa

Postby y0n » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:06 pm

I'm sitting here eating a toasted bagel with melted cheese, avocado, and fried eggs listening to news about a mass shooting and Puerto Rico still reeling from Hurricane Maria. Stark contrast. Feel kind of numb to it all.
y0n

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:30 pm

Saw McCartney on Monday night and he was a much-needed break from the chaos on Monday. All he said was that "it's a sad day, let's focus on the happy things" and then busted out Give Peace a Chance later in the show as his version of a "political message." Lot of the set was the same as last time but he does a fine show.

Gearing up for next week which is three concerts in five days. Billy Strings first up on Tuesday...been playing his new album and it's darn good. Check it out if you want some twang: https://soundcloud.com/devon-4-1/sets/b ... il-tinfoil
El Bastarde

Postby hosemasterflex » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:00 pm

Good morning dudes. You ever think, "Man, what a weird fucked up life!" and then you're like, "but exactly what other reality am I comparing this one too, in order for a basis for such a comparison?" This coffee's a little rich today wow.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Harpua » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:00 pm

^ Hopefully not too fucked up.

I was sick all week, neck is almost back to 100%. Both were more inconveniences or annoyances than actively bad things. I wasn't able to throw any discs around, but I was able to watch a shit ton of netfilx. Normally I don't like wasting my time with anything other than reading or disc golf, but when I'm both sick and injured...

Hopefully this week is WAY more productive than my last few.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:37 pm

Busy, busy week. Billy Strings on Tues, Dark Star Orchestra on Thurs, day off on Fri, Spafford on Sat. Just need to get through that pesky "work" stuff.

Also, hail the Spartans for knocking out UofM once again. Ugly game but it worked. Go State!
El Bastarde

Postby Katiemay » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:57 pm

Good morn, folks. Enjoying a 3 day weekend in honor of Columbus, OH. See the city, see their zoo.

Tom Petty. What a punch to the gut. That guy deserves some sort of title. I'm sorry I did not get to see him this summer. Sold out before I could try for tickets. Saw him twice before, and loved the shows. I was awestruck both times at how dynamic his stage presence was. He rocked and rolled every second. Wish I had better words to do justice to the loss.

Warren Haynes expressed it well:
http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/warren-haynes-tom-petty/
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:08 pm

I was awestruck both times at how dynamic his stage presence was.

Agreed on this part of it. He ruled that stage and manages to be the coolest guy out there at all times. Still surprising to me since I figured he'd be around forever.
El Bastarde

Postby y0n » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:56 pm

Woke up this morning to hearing more stories on the radio of people losing their homes and possessions in the Napa/Sonoma fires.

Also the air quality in Berkeley is horrendous. Small potatoes of course compared to those who have to rebuild from scratch (or lost their lives). The story of the 99 and 100 year old couple, married 75 years, perishing in the blaze was a particularly soul moving image. I hope they were able to be together in their final moments. :cry:

Here's a picture I just took in Berkely just now (9:50am local time):

That's not fog. The smell of acrid smoke is in the air. My wife (who has asthma) has to wear a particulate mask to prevent a flare up. We also have to keep our windows closed and run the air purifier on full blast. I can only imagine how bad the air is closer to the fires (we're 45 miles away from the worst of it).

Grateful to be alive and safe at the moment.
y0n

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:32 pm

Woke up this morning to hearing more stories on the radio of people losing their homes and possessions in the Napa/Sonoma fires.

Every time I hear about wildfires destroying hundreds and hundreds of acres every year, I wonder how California has any forests left. Seems like this happens every year.

I've heard about all the air quality reports as well. Just looks awful. Hang in there, man. I'll try to do a rain dance tonight.
El Bastarde

Postby wildwoodweed » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:51 pm

It has been another two years since I made a post. :shock:

Currently listening to the 7/29/98 Bathtub Gin (which is always fantastic) while working on some pretty cool GPS enabled software for a client.

I have a new musical project and we're doing our first show tomorrow night, so I'm also gearing up for that.

I hope everyone is doing well.
wildwoodweed

Postby Harpua » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:36 pm

^ I hope your show goes well.

Status: Tired AF after staying up way too late to watch what is generously being referred to as a 'baseball game." Woof.

Going to play my 1st round of DG since my neck injury this Sunday! Weather should be perfect for it.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby goldphish » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:02 pm

goldphish
White Mountain Scallop

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby hosemasterflex » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:53 pm

Welllll if Joffrey can almost post a post, then so c
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby y0n » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:25 pm

El Bastarde wrote:Woke up this morning to hearing more stories on the radio of people losing their homes and possessions in the Napa/Sonoma fires.

Every time I hear about wildfires destroying hundreds and hundreds of acres every year, I wonder how California has any forests left. Seems like this happens every year.

I've heard about all the air quality reports as well. Just looks awful. Hang in there, man. I'll try to do a rain dance tonight.

Sadly a lot of these fires are burning inhabited areas.
y0n

Postby y0n » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:51 pm

GMOKP (okay so really good afternoon...)!

Might have burned a section of my retina trying to light a match with one of those card lenses. Have an appointment with an ophthalmologist in a few hours to get things checked out. I've got a subtle purple after image in the top right of my center of vision. Hoping I didn't damage things too badly and won't have that reminder of my boneheaded move with me for life. If you're wondering, I tried lining up the lens with the sun by using my eyes. Note to others, this is NOT the way to go about doing that. It was only for a fraction of a second, but given that it was a lens I still may have done some permanent damage. I then proceeded to line the lens up with the match, and took a few extended looks at the match, which was brilliantly reflecting the light as it was a white headed match. That might have done some damage too. Anyway, if it doesn't come across in this message, I'm pretty anxious I may have done permanent harm.

Hoping for the best!
y0n

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:00 pm

Might have burned a section of my retina trying to light a match with one of those card lenses.

It's 2017. Why are you lighting matches?

Though, from what I've heard, the eyes do heal and damage like that eventually goes away. It's the same reason no one ever is REALLY blinded by laser pointers. At best they cause temporary issues which then go away.
El Bastarde

Postby y0n » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:38 pm

El Bastarde wrote:Might have burned a section of my retina trying to light a match with one of those card lenses.

It's 2017. Why are you lighting matches?

Though, from what I've heard, the eyes do heal and damage like that eventually goes away. It's the same reason no one ever is REALLY blinded by laser pointers. At best they cause temporary issues which then go away.

Was wondering if it would work really. Turns out it didn't work, nor did it burn my retina.

Though in my internet research about retinal damage I came across a story of someone with a head full staring at the sun for 4 hours. Be careful out there folks.
y0n

Postby Harpua » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:41 pm

Glad to hear it. Maybe safety goggles next time, or just have there be no next time.

When I was very young, a nail (as in metal spike) flew into my eye and did some serious damage. I had to wear an eye patch for almost all of 1st grade. (A 1st grader with glasses, an eye patch and a last name that sounded enough like "nerd" that kids were easily able to figure it out...yikes) If that didn't do permanent damage, I had no doubt your match lighting experiment wouldn't either.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby y0n » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:09 pm

^Yeah, lesson learned to not line up a lens with my eyes.
y0n

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:16 pm

Though in my internet research about retinal damage I came across a story of someone with a head full staring at the sun for 4 hours.

I don't think I could ever get so wasted where I would do that. Wasted or not, boredom would set in after like two minutes.

Glad basketball's back and we even got an all-time brutal Hayward injury five minutes into it. One of those injuries that made me look at the other brutal recent injuries (Shawn Livingston, Paul George, Kevin Ware) to see how it compared. Looks like his leg bent like five ways.

Otherwise, two really fun and close games. So glad b-ball's back.
El Bastarde

Postby y0n » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:33 pm

^ totally with you there. I couldn't imagine being that spun. Maybe we're doing things wrong? :lol:

Told myself last year I would follow the NBA. Given that I live in the Bay Area do I get a pass for jumping on the Warriors bandwagon? I've never actively followed an NBA team in my life. I followed the Terrapins in HS, but the NBA never did but for me. The usual reasons of blatant traveling etc etc kept me away from the NBA. Gonna give it a shot this year.
y0n

Postby Harpua » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:44 pm

El Bastarde wrote:
Glad basketball's back and we even got an all-time brutal Hayward injury five minutes into it. One of those injuries that made me look at the other brutal recent injuries (Shawn Livingston, Paul George, Kevin Ware) to see how it compared. Looks like his leg bent like five ways.

Otherwise, two really fun and close games. So glad b-ball's back.

That injury was disgusting.

I'm glad that The Bulls are already leading the league in dysfunction. I don't think any other team in the league is as fucked up as them. Sadly the one that hospitalized Mirotic will be Portis' best shot this year.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:55 pm

Told myself last year I would follow the NBA. Given that I live in the Bay Area do I get a pass for jumping on the Warriors bandwagon?

I'm not sure if there's a problem with choosing one of the most fun team in decades to help you get into the sport. Besides, you DO live in the Bay Area so it's not like they're not local. I think the league's been in great shape. There's so many cool and unique stars and weird matchups and stuff going on (and none of the endless negativity like with uptight NFL media). One of my favorite games to watch last year was a meaningless Bucks/Knicks game and it was because Giannis and Porzingis are so fun to watch.

I'm glad that The Bulls are already leading the league in dysfunction.

I love it since I hate the Bulls. They've pushed out multiple great coaches now for strange reasons and have no clue what they're doing or what their plan is. Not that my Pistons are any better, of course.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:41 pm

I'm going to the Bulls/Pelicans game in 2 weeks, and I'm hoping that if I get there early enough they might make me their 2nd string PF.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby marley » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:42 pm

In one week and a day, I get Trey!!!
#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook