Good Morning Oh Kee Pa

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Good Morning Oh Kee Pa

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:28 pm

Managed to catch Nick Mason's band on Tuesday. Was a loose crowd and we even found some open rows where we could get down. I love the Saucerful album so Let there Be More Light was a treat and Set the Controls had a massive crescendo that may have been jam of the night. Nile Song was a great treat. Was stunned we got Atom Heart Mother inside of If...they did about as much of the song as a five-piece band can pull off. Was a fun, light atmosphere with good banter and stories here and there. Was standing there and realized "this is the first and last time I'll probably see most of these songs live."

Interstellar Overdrive
Astronomy Domine
Lucifer Sam
Fearless
Obscured by Clouds
When You're In
Remember a Day
Arnold Layne
Vegetable Man
If > Atom Heart Mother > If
The Nile Song
Green Is the Colour
Let There Be More Light
Childhood's End
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
See Emily Play
Bike
One of These Days

Encore:
A Saucerful of Secrets
Point Me at the Sky

Great time to be a sports fan. Baseball's getting into the swing of things, hockey playoffs just started last night with five games at once, NBA playoffs start this weekend (can't wait for that Pistons sweep!) and then there's the Master's on top of it. And then Game of Thrones to finish off the weekend. Too much stuff on.
El Bastarde

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby ghost » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:06 pm

^ You got top of the page in the Pixar thread too :thumbup:

::is wowed by OKP posting::

Good morning. My laptop that I use for general internetting and music listening (downloading Phish shows) has a bad motivator...I mean, cooling fan. I'd better hurry up and get it turned off before it bursts into flames and takes all my Phish shows with it.

That Christmas road trip that I talked about when I last posted in here months ago was incredible. Everything went perfectly. Complete and total luck with the weather.

I saw Yonder Mountain String Band in Dallas a couple weeks ago. Always a good time. The opening band, Dangermuffin, covered Back On The Train. I'd like to see more concerts, but time and money and all that. At the same theater, Railroad Earth and Keller Williams were going to be there the week after.

I know there's more that I've been planning to post about for the past four months...

Have a great weekend!
ghost
Human Being

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:24 pm

Fun weekend. Tiger wins the Masters, NHL was wild (can't believe Tampa's down 3-0) and the NBA was nice on Saturday and dull on Sunday. Not to mention Game of Thrones firing up with a nice episode.

Anyone catch the new Trey project-band-thing Ghost of the Forest? New album in May but I guess some have heard it already. Checked out the website to preorder but the cheapest thing they have is a $30 vinyl set which I don't much need. Can't I just buy a damn CD?
El Bastarde

Postby Katiemay » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:07 pm

I saw GotF in Albany last week. Being that I didn't hear a note of it beforehand and haven't heard another since, I don't want to go too much into my impressions of the music, but I didn't dig it very much. None of the songs really grabbed me, although there are a few I liked more than others. The parts I enjoyed most were when they found a good groove in a jam, and when the girls had a chance to really go off on the vocals. I would like to listen to the album and re-evaluate the tunes.
Katiemay

Postby hosemasterflex » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:54 pm

Morning OKP

I'm listening to GotF right now and having a similar reaction to the material.

I gotta chalk it up to that Trey and I have grown apart. He and I think different things are good and cool. I still think Foam is the bee's knees. "Love will carry us through"? I mean, I don't think it's not *true* ... it's just, ... doesn't mean I want it sprinkled on my cereal.

Having said that, I'm trying to keep it in perspective. It's not fair to constantly compare it to the old stuff, since it's its own thing. Unfortunately it doesn't make me dig the lyrics any more, to recognize that.

What do I know though. I write songs, and my newest song is about how I don't understand why my lady responds poorly to the boring or horrible things I tell her, "She Don't Seem To Dig Terrible Story" ... again, we're on different pages me and Trey lol.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:55 pm

Meh, Trey's lyrics are definitely the weakest part of his material and he seems to get cheesier as he gets older. I'm just used to it now. Plus I think it's hard to come up with fresh stuff when you've written so much. I just got the GotF album last night so I'll give it a listen soon. If the music's good, the lyrics are irrelevant to me anyway.

Ridiculous Game 7 with Vegas/San Jose last night followed up by Dame Lillard's 37-footer to beat OKC. Not a bad sports night overall. NFL draft tomorrow and more chaos for the weekend to follow.

Game of Thrones is gonna be lit next weekend...it's a looooong wait. It's fun throwing out who you think is going to die. Brienne and Grey Worm lead the clubhouse easy...I'm tossing in Gendry, Jorah and my dark horse Bran pick to all go down. Bran's a little too overpowered at the moment and I think Tyrion picking his brain will be a factor after he dies.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Fri May 03, 2019 1:21 pm

Listened to Ghosts of the Forest and I see what folks mean from the lyrics. Does every song Trey writes have to be about light and water and flying through the sky and such? I never means much of anything and it all runs together. Musically I've got to give it a relisten but it feels like a weaker version of a TAB album.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Fri May 03, 2019 2:50 pm

^ One of the reasons I got into Phish was Tom Marshall's lyrics that were silly and might tell a story, but there wasn't too much meaning to be found. It was hippie music without the hippie dippy stuff. Trey seems to be making up for lost time. I've seen a lot of people who have been down on the love and light stuff that Trey is pumping out change their tunes after seeing "Between Me and My Mind." It is supposed to give context to songs like Soul Planet. IDK, for me if a song requires context, it doesn't really work as a song.

I used to go ape over solo projects, but I've reached the point where I am a Phish fan only, and the solo projects don't interest me. There are so many good jam bands out their right now. Paying no heed to TAB or Gordo's thing gives me time to check out Aqueous, Greensky, JRAD, UM, Disco Biscuits - even 7th tier jam bands like Ekoostik Hookah and Mungion are doing interesting things.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby ghost » Fri May 03, 2019 5:40 pm

Good morning! Happy Friday!

I usually check out the Oh Kee Pa when I'm eating lunch. I'm too late for this thread. Instead of posting in one of the many other threads, I just don't post. Early lunch today. And by lunch I mean me alone in my own house eating food around noon. Structure. That's how I get by.

I don't get into the solo stuff anymore either. I haven't heard any of GotF. I am interested in seeing Between Me and My Mind.

I've been devoting much of my attention to the Stanley Cup playoffs. Always fun to watch. I didn't pick a team at the beginning. Good thing too. Now I should pick the Dallas Stars as the hometown team, but I like San Jose and Joe Thornton better.

Since most of my Phish is on my laptop and my laptop can only be used for short periods of time, I haven't been listening to much Phish for months. I'm realizing that I'm going to have to fix that.

Gotta go. Laptop's on fire. :thumbdown:
ghost
Human Being

Postby El Bastarde » Mon May 06, 2019 3:04 pm

Trey seems to be making up for lost time. I've seen a lot of people who have been down on the love and light stuff that Trey is pumping out change their tunes after seeing "Between Me and My Mind." It is supposed to give context to songs like Soul Planet.

If I have to watch a documentary to understand your lyrics then they're probably not working. And it's not really the "love and light" thing that is the issue...it's that it seems to be the theme of EVERY song, especially on this new album. I'm certainly used to not having a clue what Phish lyrics are about (and not really caring) but could use some variety.

To be fair, Ghosts of the Forests is warming up on me after some repeat listens. Not as much love and light as I realized, really.

Paying no heed to TAB or Gordo's thing gives me time to check out Aqueous, Greensky, JRAD, UM, Disco Biscuits - even 7th tier jam bands like Ekoostik Hookah and Mungion are doing interesting things.

I find the Phish solo stuff to often be on par with those other ones...and certainly as good as recent offerings by Bisco and UM...The It's Not Us/It's You pairing was only okay and does Bisco even make albums anymore?...hard to take Bisco seriously when they barely tour and certainly never could around me. And JRAD does nothing but covers. Greensky's been pumping out quality but they're younger and in a real good period right now. I mean, I still have much more interest in Phish/Trey solo stuff than many of these bands...and certainly more than a documentary.

Since most of my Phish is on my laptop and my laptop can only be used for short periods of time

One of many shortfalls of this "all music is digital" era. Folks are so limited by the fact that they can only listen to music when online or on their devices. I see people just listening to less music in general as a result. It's so nice to just toss some discs into the car and bump em.

I've been devoting much of my attention to the Stanley Cup playoffs. Always fun to watch. I didn't pick a team at the beginning. Good thing too. Now I should pick the Dallas Stars as the hometown team, but I like San Jose and Joe Thornton better.

As have I, in addition to the NBA. Usually three to four games a night which takes up most of my time. Been a good period to be a fan.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Wed May 15, 2019 8:03 pm

Dang, got real quiet around here. Hope it picks up for tour time.

Not much going on here. Game of Thrones is crazy. Saw Endgame and it was alright.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Wed May 15, 2019 9:06 pm

Yeah. Straight up ghost town. I peek in a couple of times a week, but I don't really have much to share.

I did just pull the trigger on SCI tickets. I've never seen them, and have always enjoyed them. Better late than never...sheeeit.

I'm looking forward to tour. I'm not doing any real traveling for this one though. 2 nights in STL, 3 nights at Alpine. I'll get to sleep in my own bed after those Alpine shows. :D

Game of Thrones is crazy, and it is making people melt...which, being an asshole, I find just as entertaining as the show. Endgame was alright. It didn't give me #allthefeels, but I still thought it was a perfectly good blockbuster.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby Katiemay » Sun May 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Game of Thrones finale day. Starting to set in that, after tonight, I will never get to see it new again. Will endless rewatches, reading online discussions and reviews, related videos, and reading the books be enough to fill the gap?
Katiemay

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon May 20, 2019 5:10 am

Good morning OKP!

We're still here, right?

I'm hoping to get my tickets to see Yes in Providence 6/30 at some point this week ...

I should be working out a way to see Phish too, but like, Yes tix are $24.50.. Maybe I'll see Phish too, hope so.

Been a busy and good weekend over here. It's morning but I'm turning in.

Glad to see ^^^^ ^^^ ^^ ^you guys still posting...

Actually hey there are five of us on this page alone! :thumbup:
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby El Bastarde » Tue May 21, 2019 5:47 pm

Game of Thrones finale day. Starting to set in that, after tonight, I will never get to see it new again. Will endless rewatches, reading online discussions and reviews, related videos, and reading the books be enough to fill the gap?

I've found a lot of the discussions to be mostly insufferable, even before this season began. Just too much dork candy with speculation on what plots people want to happen and how they're annoyed that they won't happen. Too much of the discussion is "they didn't do what I wanted" and then pretending that this means it's bad writing. Too many high expectations and too many people searching for negatives.

Loved the finale and thought it was pretty perfect, especially since the entire episode was mostly an "aftermath" episode. First 45 minutes were riveting and the second half was a bit more relaxed as it was lighter and used to wrap things up. Bran was a surprise but made logical sense and I loved the montage at the end.

There's kind of a void now but this show was only six weeks of my routine after a year and a half of having nothing so it's not like my life was revolving around it. Don't have much interest in the books or I'm not sure I'll be into any prequels/sequels/spinoffs/whatever around it...I have a feeling those will be too fan-servicey and I'm not much interested in the content with different directors.

Great ride, great show. Could have used a few more episodes to flesh out some stuff but otherwise it was nicely for me.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Wed May 22, 2019 3:34 am

hi.

end of report.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby ghost » Fri May 24, 2019 4:14 pm

Hi and good morning.

Summer is right there. Just have to wait for the all clear and then dive in. School next Tuesday and half days Wednesday and Thursday. I'm trying to plan another road trip to Ohio and Illinois that includes July 4th and wraps up nicely with me attending all three nights of Phish at Alpine Valley. Sir ShompsAlot got tickets in the lotto and has been graciously holding them for me. I don't even want to think about it until it's a sure thing. It would be amazing. I was last there in 2009.

The Stanley Cup Finals are disappointing, to me anyway, and they haven't even started yet. Go Blues.

No real plans for Memorial Day. Maybe swimming at the in laws. Already hot enough here.

Gotta go. Stuff to do.

I am still 100% Yankee, but some "southern" stuff can be acceptable
ghost
Human Being

Postby El Bastarde » Fri May 31, 2019 4:33 pm

The Stanley Cup Finals are disappointing, to me anyway, and they haven't even started yet. Go Blues.

Was glad the Blues took Game 2. I just want a good series after having two dud series in the Conference Championships. Would prefer St Louis take it since Boston's won enough this year though, if I had to choose, the Bruins have looked the best these playoffs but I'd rather the Blues take it.

Sticking to the country theme, I've been bumping some Waylen lately. Some great jam potential in this one:
El Bastarde

Previous

Return to Non-Phish Discussion