iPod Questions

Anything non-Phish related.

iPod Questions

Postby ghost » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:43 am

I have an iPod. (I guess it's 20 GB...I don't remember exactly. I got it for Christmas in 2004. No video.) I have lots of music on it, but mostly Phish. What is a good way to put downloaded audience recordings on it? I was able to do it very easily, but the files were HUGE. I have lots of other shows on there (mostly from LivePhish CDs,) and they are nowhere hear that large. What is a good way to convert the files? I've heard AAC is the best. What is the best way to convert to AAC? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Do you do the same thing: put downloaded shows (from etree) on your iPod? I also remember reading that there is a way to eliminate the brief break between songs, but I'll have to look for the info again. Thanks.
ghost
Human Being

Blog: View Blog (0)

iPod Questions

Postby Fluffy Bunny » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:09 am

I'm aasuming that you currently have your Phish shows as .wav files, these will be huge. Depending on how much quality you are willing to sacrifice, you can make them pretty small. Using iTunes, go to the Edit menu, then click on Preferences, go to the Advanced tab, then the Importing tab. Here you can specify what you want to convert your songs into, iTunes is best at AAC.
Once you have those setting to your liking, simply right click on a song, then click "Convert Selection to ***" you can also select more than one by shift-clicking.
If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite.
Fluffy Bunny
Lazy Hippie

Blog: View Blog (1)

iPod Questions

Postby famusmockingbird » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:12 am

OOOH thats good a real good question....im talkin bout eliminating the break between songs on itunes/ipods? anyone know how to do it???
famusmockingbird
Your Phaithful Phriend

iPod Questions

Postby Moma Dave » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:16 am

Ghost, on your itunes preferences there should be an advanced tab then an import tab. Select that, select AAC, then save or apply. (Standard size is 128. You can change that by manually selecting the size. the larger the number, the larger the file size. Apple lossless is there too. That cuts the wav files in half without loosing any aound quality.) Go to your itunes library choose a large file sized show and select them all. Right click with your mouse over the selected songs and choose convert to AAC. Once completed delete the large files. Those are probably .wav (Standard cd files). That should do it for the conversion. If you have more questions, just let me know. I don't know how to get rid of the gap between songs. If you find out, share that info with me please. Thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm left in the now with a wondrous glow
I think I'm still me but how would you know?
Moma Dave
Undercover Wook

iPod Questions

Postby alright » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:02 am

yeah...if anyone knows how to eliminate the break in between songs id love to know
#23 So back off
alright
Teh Taintless Wonder

iPod Questions

Postby ghost » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:51 am

Thanks for all the help. I was able to convert the tracks to AAC which makes them much, much smaller. Since I just started downloading from etree, and I just learned how to put the shows on my iPod, I'm really happy about all this. I should chill out in a couple days. :) As far as eliminating the gaps between songs, I guess I imagined reading about a way to do it. It's nothing more than a hope for newer iPod technolgy. The only way to come close is to make a whole set or show one big track. Then you lose individual song names and stuff. I'll stick with the brief gaps.
ghost
Human Being

iPod Questions

Postby famusmockingbird » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:17 am

after fiddlin around for a while. this is closest i got to eliminating the gap between songs. go to preferences>playback and select crossfade playback, and drag the bar to 0 seconds. it eliminates the gap, but the timing is ever so slightly off. i perfer it hands down to the gap between songs though.
famusmockingbird
Your Phaithful Phriend

iPod Questions

Postby grabs666 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:30 am

buy an mp3 player that isn't made by apple!

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
grabs666
Satan

Re: iPod Questions

Postby ghost » Thu May 16, 2019 6:21 pm

Since my laptop isn't usable for any extended Phish jams, I got my iPod out. It's been awhile. It took a few seconds to wake up and start charging. Tense moments. :lol: Now Phish is back in my ears. There are at least a couple shows from most years through 2004. All the LivePhish CD releases. (CDs provided by SirChompsAlot in 2004.) Clifford Ball, Great Went, Lemonwheel, and all of Big Cypress. All of Fall 1997. Lots to listen to.

The iPod also has all Bob Marley albums and a few other random songs by random musicians.
ghost
Human Being

Postby El Bastarde » Tue May 21, 2019 5:39 pm

Since my laptop isn't usable for any extended Phish jams,

Laptops don't have speakers?

Clifford Ball, Great Went, Lemonwheel, and all of Big Cypress. All of Fall 1997.

Kinda all you need there.
El Bastarde

Postby y0n » Fri May 31, 2019 11:20 pm

El Bastarde wrote:Since my laptop isn't usable for any extended Phish jams,

Laptops don't have speakers?

Clifford Ball, Great Went, Lemonwheel, and all of Big Cypress. All of Fall 1997.

Kinda all you need there.

IMO laptop speakers aren’t worth listening to
y0n

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:27 pm

IMO laptop speakers aren’t worth listening to

True, but I plug it in to normal speakers when bumping shows.
El Bastarde

Return to Non-Phish Discussion