Things That Annoy Me About Facebook

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Things That Annoy Me About Facebook

Postby El Bastarde » Fri May 19, 2017 2:11 pm

Shit makes me feel all infowarsy as fuck but even tho I've never had facebook, reading about bots and algorithms that crawled people's profiles to generate politically oriented posts and content...

Yeah, it creeps me out too which is partly why I never "Like" anything and why I keep my personal info as thin as possible. And I don't trust them to not hand out that info to advertisers.

(Also, as an update, I sent them the fake license and they responded back saying they couldn't use it to verify me. I sent a somewhat sarcastic message about which parts of my profile didn't match (since there's no info on there) and then suggested ideas they could use to verify me (that I've seen Facebook use) that didn't involve getting my ID. I posted this on another board and a guy there said the same happened to him and they eventually just deleted the account. I have a feeling that's what will happen. At this point I may just start trolling their help desk e-mail...maybe next e-mail I'll demand to speak to a manager).

Sadly, it's not just Facebook that makes a profile on you...stores where you use an in-store card also track your purchases and will then send you brochures that match what they think you'll like.

A guy at work told this story of a person he knew who shopped at Costco or one of those types of stores and noticed he started getting all these brochures about baby products...diapers and strollers and all that. They wouldn't stop so he actually brought it up to them the next time he was there and asked why he was getting those. Turned out that it was his daughter using the card to buy pre-pregancy tests and supplements and other stuff like that which led to the brochures. And the guy had no clue his daughter was pregnant...so that's how he found out. Kind of humorous.
El Bastarde

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Things That Annoy Me About Facebook

Postby TanasRoot » Sat May 20, 2017 3:56 pm

El Bastarde wrote:
Sadly, it's not just Facebook that makes a profile on you...stores where you use an in-store card also track your purchases and will then send you brochures that match what they think you'll like.

A guy at work told this story of a person he knew who shopped at Costco or one of those types of stores ...

omg yeah i think i remember reading about Walmart and "data mining" (omfg why does that feel dated to type somehow lol) in like the late 90s.

for a while in the mid '00s i was getting emails from facebook saying someone named Sandy had signed up for an account but apparently with my email address. Lol i probably should have told facebook about it but it finally stopped after like a year Lol :wave:
"I'm not making this up..."
TanasRoot

Blog: View Blog (0)

Previous

Return to Non-Phish Discussion