Type your Pink Floyd Thoughts

Anything non-Phish related.

Type your Pink Floyd Thoughts

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:52 pm

Just find myself thinking about Pink Floyd a bit lately, and it's a band for which lots of us have passionate opinions and weird thoughts.

Me, I was just noticing how they have like 14 or 15 studio albums and I only like about five of them on the whole! Their good stuff is REAL REAL good, and everything else isn't even close. Such a variety ... of quality!

And yet, I consider myself a big fan ...

Another thing, while I was listening to the Live at Pompeii movie, is that it struck me that they're just not that musically brilliant. Dave Gilmour really gets a lot of credit for being a genius guitarist, but so does Clapton. :wave:

But there's artistic genius there when a group of marginally talented musicians can create ... Pink Floyd records. :thumbup:

I have plenty more to yap about, but that's the basic outline of what I'm thinkin'.

PLEASE let's not get offensive or defensive about Dave and Roger and The Post-Waters Dream. I mean incarnation. That goes for me too! I have to bite my tongue when people b!tch about The Wall or praise Syd for being their best member & shit. YOU ARE ALL WRONG. Now post with respect to your fellow members. :angel:
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Type your Pink Floyd Thoughts

Postby gamecat » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:54 pm

Interesting...
Time just came up on my Iphone/Ipod shuffle this afternoon.

I really like that song,...but it makes me think more about what I'm doing with myself.
I fell I'm on the right path,...but that song always makes me question my plans.... :? :)

hosemasterflex wrote:Me, I was just noticing how they have like 14 or 15 studio albums and I only like about five of them on the whole!

I feel the exact same way.
Maybe only 3-4 albums for me. But I like those albums ALOT.
gamecat
The Shepherd

Postby Fee » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:22 pm

My wife made the comment this week that no matter how many times she has heard a Pink Floyd song she likes (comfortably numb, etc.) that it never gets old. I thought that was an interesting statement. Is that the true meaning of a great song?
Fee
20th Century Child

Postby goldenroad » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:44 pm

I remember when I was younger my mom really wanted the c.d. with the song Time on it...keep in mind I was only 10 or so at the time so I didn't have a clue. Regardless, we went into this big record store in Regina and my mom asks one of the employees which Floyd album has the song time on it...after looking at the back of every Pink Floyd c.d. he concludes that the only album with that song on is the London Symphony Orchestra performs Pink Floyd album. So yeah, she ended up with that, which she hated, and it wasn't until I was about 15 or so that I realized what a fucking tool that guy was. Seriously, if you don't know that Time is on Dark Side, you don't deserve a job at a record store...hell, you don't deserve a job anywhere. He should have been fired right then and there imo.

My favorite Floyd always has been and always will be Piper and the Syd singles. I don't think anyone has ever created any music that is so original.

Did yous guys ever see that Floyd Classic Albums episode? In one interview Waters (I think) is talking about how towards the end of Syd's tenure with the band Syd had proposed the notion that in order for the band to progress they needed to add a couple of black female singers and a saxophonist and they all laughed at him and wrote it off as Syd being crazy.

Funny how Syd was so ahead of the times.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby piper » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:39 pm

Animals is one of the greatest albums of all time.
piper

Postby fone » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:06 pm

I once had on vinyl, every PF album after Saucerful of Secrets through the Wall. Lost them during the great possession purge of 1973-74, partly because I believed in some of what they were saying to me. Go figure.
Go down in your own way
And everyday is the right day
And as you rise above the fear lines in his frown
You look down
Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd
fone
The Sage

Postby Killer Rob » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:23 pm

piper wrote:Animals is one of the greatest albums of all time.

this sums it up for me right here, animals might be the greatest album ever
Killer Rob

Postby jawbone » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:30 pm

i've realized recently that Gilmour and Waters both have voices that i really don't like. Its easy to look past them since the music is so good and they lay a lot of reverb on the vocals but in general i really don't like their voices.

and yeah, i'm also on the page of "only a few good albums but those albums are amazing"
[#42?] nothin' shakin' but the leaves on the trees
jawbone
Skunk Ape Expatriate

Postby ghost_2000 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:34 pm

I had a phase in late 2000/early 2001 when a shady friend and I hung out a lot, and that's (not coincidentally) the only period I tried LSD, mushrooms and ecstasy. He seemed to like Pulse a lot. Granted, it's pretty sweet, particularly on acid, but I still like DSotM the best.

If I recall, they had a plane fly over the audience and crash onstage right as "Breathe" started?
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby Fugazi » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:20 am

Animals is game changing.

I like Division Bell.
Fugazi

Postby hosemasterflex » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:25 am

I have mixed feelings on David Gilmour too.

In general I feel their Big Four records are so successful because they utilize all their collective strengths. Waters really stepped up their lyrics game w/Dark Side and didn't let up from that point forward. Dave's playing really developed around the same time, and the production they're so known for all came together too.

Before that, they were aimless for years, trying to figure out how to go forward with no Syd.

And after the Wall, forget it ... the three post-Wall records are each missing a guy. It's hard to estimate how Rick Wright would have changed The Final Cut, but you really feel Waters' absence on MLoR & Division Bell. Each of those albums wishes it was one of them 70s albums man.

I'm w/Glenn, Gilmour has really turned me off by being so publicly disdainful of Roger. I saw an interview w/Guy Pratt, the basser who bassed for Floyd in Roger's absence, and it just sounded like the whole Dave camp celebrated stomping Roger whenever they got the chance.

But I realize it's that Roger's input is my favorite thing about the Pink Floyd that makes me take sides. I like some of those later albums, but I'm not really moved to say I'm a fan of them. aMLoR in particular has two great songs, and then a whole lot of nothing on it! Take the singles outta there and it's a one note melody snoozefest.

Division Bell's okay, but doesn't really speak to me I guess. Kind of a boring bunch of songs in a way, but I still think for a band that's pushing thirty, it's incredibly solid.

Right now I'd probably rank my top five:

Wish You Were Here
The Wall
Animals
Dark Side
Meddle

Pretty obvious choices, but I'm not gonna throw Obscured by Clouds in there just to be different.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby ADrock » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:23 am

I am a huge fan of the creativity and experimentation of ALL Floyd records, but in particular, Meddle, Obscured by Clouds, and Atom Heart Mother. Those albums all came before the mammoth successes of DSotM ,Wish You Were Here, and teh Wall. Theres a lot of instrumentals/limited vocals on those aforementioned records and just pure psychedelia. Obscured by Clouds is one of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard. Some of Gilmour's leads and solos soar to the stratosphere and contain a lot of emotion, I'm thinking of "Absolutely Curtains" in particular, but i think there's like, 3, "Absolutely Curtains" on 'Obscured.'

Gilmour is so honest in his disdain for Waters because of Waters did to the band. It was essentially Waters own selfishness and ego that made Floyd separate in the first place. Waters was attempting to basically make the rest of the band his session players for HIS and His only music and lyrics. I mean, I like the Wall and all but that and the Final Cut were mostly Waters crying about his childhood. Waters was a typical rock and roll primadonna and the rest of the band got tired of his shite. Ive heard this stuff in interviews. Gilmour said it had been going on for so many years and they got tired of it.

"Nobody Home" has been stuck in my head for like 10 years now. I am actually considering going to one of the Wall shows in Philly in the fall just so I can hear all of the little songs on the Wall like "Goodbye Blue Sky", "One of My Turns", "The Thin Ice", and etc...Sure its a few hours of Waters crying about his childhood but a lot of it sounds so damn good....
Whatever happened to Lee Van Cleef?
ADrock

Postby jawbone » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:48 am

Meddle
Dark Side
Piper at the Gates
Animals
Wish You Were Here

i personally could never dig the Wall too much.
[#42?] nothin' shakin' but the leaves on the trees
jawbone
Skunk Ape Expatriate

Postby drbadgely » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:14 am

In the era of spotty albums ('68-'72), Floyd was a visual band, and the live show took priority. I loove the bootlegs from this era. The album art is stupendous. After The Committee and Tonite Lets All Make Love in London, they took the time to record 3 direct soundtracks, intending for them to connect with their respective movies. (which besides us Floyd-heads and cinema geeks, who has seen all of them?) IMO, there are some excellent songs from those albums, but they definitely suffer as a whole. It's almost like their cohesive & conceptual studio experimentation wasn't realized until a few years after Syd left. Perhaps they were marooned; Piper left them in such a huge wake...
drbadgely

Postby willbreathes » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:44 am

Pre-Dark Side has become my favorite era, possibly just from burn-out of overlistening.

Meddle & Obscurred By Clouds possibly my favorite albums.

Hard to deny Echoes as one of the grandest songs ever.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby proletariat » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:19 pm

roger waters' half of 'dogs' is some of the most powerful music ever.

i like every era of the band with roger waters in the lineup, but my favorite album is the wall. i love how emotional every song on the album is.
proletariat

Postby goldphish » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:00 pm

meddle, dark side, wywh, animals, momentary, division bell, wall = favs

I had some of the older albums but i can't remember which ones....

pink floyd being a band that i have listened to since a child i can't really remember not listening to them... out of the bands I grew up with (floyd, zep, beatles being the big three) floyd has always hit me a little deeper than the rest. i saw 2 shows in 94, both at veteran's stadium, philly... i was so happy to see them live.

certain songs are so perfectly crafted that you almost can't believe such beautiful music exists... like crazy diamond, echos, dogs, sheep... the melodies, lyrics, flow of sounds thru time are exquisite... and then there's darkside.. arguably the greatest rock album ever written.

c'mon phish should seriously consider covering crazy diamond just once... with the sax of course.
goldphish
White Mountain Scallop

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby fivepounds-sixpounds » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:49 am

I want to say Animals is my favorite, because I listen to it far more than the others. Dogs never ceases to amaze me. But The Wall is just so powerful. The singles are all incredible, and all of the non-single songs make it an album - Vera, In the Flesh?, The Thin Ice, and my favorite - Waiting for the Worms.

Echoes belongs on the same pedestal as Animals and The Wall. And David Gilmour is great...for me to poop on. Sure, he plays some good riffs - but what a d!ckhole. Roger made the band great. I don't mean any disrespect to Syd, but I have always preferred Roger's version of Floyd.

But I'll take some You're the type of girl that fits into my world.
Take my hand you ugly girl
fivepounds-sixpounds

Postby hosemasterflex » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:01 am

Thanks everyone for great heartfelt thoughts ... nobody's pickin' fights so far neither!

I was just listening to Animals, and I realized that this is a band I'll always be seeking to understand.

I was trying to pick a Floyd album to put on after this one, and I realized they all have some element of mystery to them, to me. The Wall is the only one I knew when I was a teenager, and I knew it cold, so I tend to feel that one's wide open to me. But every other Floyd album is somewhat mysterious in some way or another. And even The Wall has so much to it, so much inherent mystique, and so finely crafted that it causes you to wonder at it.

Love that about Pink Floyd. Their style is such that it draws you right the f*ck in, despite not knowing wtf they're on about - Crazy imagery in their lyrics and artwork, and even in just the song titles ... disorienting stuff that makes you feel comfortable somehow, even though it seems to intentionally distance itself from you .. its got this purity of intent. So real and honest.

Is that what Floyd's real appeal is? The honest realism ( ... of course tempered with generous psychedelic escapism :D )? That no-bullshit-this-is-uncompromised-unfiltered-art attitude? Is it the mystery? Does that cause us to regard their work as an unknown, in its mystery? Does that cause us - by way of the inevitable fear of the unknown - to fear them, prompting respect and perceived inferiority? Is Nick Mason a supreme being from space?

I'm glad there's Pink Floyd in the world. Their overall collective class and sensibility as a recording artist is stunning.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby goldphish » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:04 pm

I think Floyd has that rare combination of poignant, meaningful lyrics and soul-bending music to accompany. its art in a true sense that you can take many songs and personally, directly apply it to yourself... they make you think on a deeper level, make you question yourself, question reality, question your life, mind and intentions. Even such a simple line as "One of these days I'm going to cut you to little pieces." has broad indications... violent and dark... this exists in our world.... or the line "Fearless the idiot faced the crowd... smiling." ... or "c'mon you target for far away laughter, c'mon you stranger, you legend, you martyr and shine." That speaks to everyone... everyone can relate that to themselves in some way at some time in life.. and the music is the hammer that drives the nail of the lyrics home. its like a good novel with universal appeal that talks of something we all experience as humans... thats why I think Floyd has such wide appeal...
goldphish
White Mountain Scallop

Postby SuperJay » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:05 pm

Funny, I was just listening to Dark Side this morning.

^ One of the things I think Floyd does that many bands don't is manage to write songs about specific themes or situations (like "Shine On") that actually do resonate beyond that situation, or place, or time. They are of a very particular context but aren't limited by that context, if that makes any sense. Like they take a feeling they have or a problem in their lives and look behind it for the common thread that everyone experiences or understands. A lot of lyrics by other bands try to manage that universal appeal but just end up being so broad and bland that they have no concrete meaning to anyone about anything.

I can't stand that whole school of thought that says "well you can read into it whatever you feel it means to you" or whatever. That's bullshit nonsense IMO... either you wrote a song that really means something or you wrote some lyrics that TRY to mean something, and you can't disguise it by saying "well it means different things to different people." To me, really good art and writing and music don't need to dodge the question like that.

And yeah, "Echoes" is still probably my favorite Pink Floyd song, and one of my favorite songs by any band, period.
SuperJay

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby goldphish » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:28 pm

^ yeah I agree about their writing about select themes or situations... i mean if we look again at "One of these days I'm going to cut you to little pieces." what's really being said here? basically I see this as the essence of revenge... retaliation... someone crosses you and you lay in wait till you can strike back. this simple line makes us look at our intentions.. or a specific intention imo... and again, the music drives that theme home.
goldphish
White Mountain Scallop

Postby drbadgely » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:27 pm

goldphish wrote:if we look again at "One of these days I'm going to cut you to little pieces." what's really being said here?

To me, the bass (and keys, drums, and guitar) says just as much as those words. And that's why Pink Floyd is so awesome. I think we can all agree on that. :D
drbadgely

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:25 am

^I agree with Jay in that I like lyrics to be somewhat specific. It really helps to put boundaries on your art, to work within certain confines, and then push envelopes within your design. Otherwise you end up with every color and every shape, and it's just everything. It's like, ... life, man. :ugeek: I generally find that even Floyd's more broadly themed songs are pretty specific in what they're saying.

Then again I love Jon Anderson's lyrics, which do defy all kinds of logic and parameters and reason. There's room for all kinds of art though, and even stuff that might even be crappy can move someone.

But what makes the Floyd words so universally accepted as good has got to be that it seems real - real situations, real specifics. Words about real life, not just words made to sound like they're really real. Convincing sincerity. Ironic since their founder was a whimsical escapist nut.

~~~

I wanna hear more about what makes Echoes so great. I like side one of Meddle better, honestly. Am I missing something? Is it the 'ping'? The weird synth bird noises? The albatross? That weird major chord that seems to mark a chorus or somethin? I don't get it with Echoes.

~~~

Oh! I bought Roger's third post-Floyd disc today, 'Amused to Death'. I really really wanted the record ... but last I checked, that was going for like $400 on ebay. I settled for a CD at a more comfortable $6.99.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby willbreathes » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:35 pm

Amused to Death is my favorite Roger album, with Pros & Cons just behind it.

I find Davids solo material to be pretty meh, with the exception of the radio-friendly There's No Way Out Of Here, which sounds like post-Roger-Floyd anyways.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Next

Return to Non-Phish Discussion