Best of Netflix Instant-Queue

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Best of Netflix Instant-Queue

Postby SirChompsAlot » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:25 pm

Lately I've been watching Halt and Catch Fire. It's ok. I almost quit about 1/3 of the way through season 1, but a friend pressured me into continuing because "it gets better". I think I'm about 4 or 5 eps into season 2 (of 4), and it's better, but it's still not great. There seems to be some overly dramatic disaster in just about every episode, and the timeline in season 1 was kind of wonky. It didn't jump around or flashback, but some eps would immediately follow the previous one, but some would be weeks if not months ahead.

I'm hoping to wrap it up in the next couple weeks then move on to that HBO series (obvs not on Netflix, sorry) Show Me a Hero starring Oscar Issac.
SirChompsAlot

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Harpua » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:34 pm

^ I have never heard of Halt and Catch Fire, but based on your review I will continue not watching it.

I have a weird recommendation- Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters. I watched it after Mike Freeman (NFL Columnist / Bleacher Report writer) gave it a bit of praise. It is a anime Godzilla movie set way in the future, after Godzilla renders Earth uninhabitable. It is weird, nonsensical (at times), chaotic, and it has subtitles, but I was well and truly entertained for the last two-thirds of the movie. Before watching this, I had never watched any anime, and I can't say for certain that I will ever watch anime again, but this is worth watching if you have an hour and a half to kill and you want to watch something weird.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby SirChompsAlot » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:46 pm

Harpua wrote:^ I have never heard of Halt and Catch Fire, but based on your review I will continue not watching it

Heh, it was quite the glowing review. It gets less dramatic over the course of season 2 and starts to get pretty good throughout season 3. I'm still not sure I'd recommend it, but I'm enjoying it and now curious to see how things shake out for almost every character.

I am stupid and really don't care for anything with subtitles. Referencing the movie thread though, I did notice that Godzilla show on Netflix after finding out that the King Kong and Godzilla universes are tied together in some new thing called a MonsterVerse... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MonsterVerse Although that Netflix cartoon is not part of the universe.

I think after I wrap up Halt and Catch Fire I am gonna watch Band of Brothers (instead of that Oscar Issac series), which I hope is still on HBO Go/Now. I've never seen it and everyone talks about how great it is.
SirChompsAlot

Postby Katiemay » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:34 pm

Never heard of Show Me a Hero. It's on the list now. Thanks for the recommendation.
Katiemay

Postby SirChompsAlot » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:31 pm

Katiemay wrote:Never heard of Show Me a Hero. It's on the list now. Thanks for the recommendation.

I can't vouch for whether or not it's any good since I haven't watched it yet, but it looks like it got really good reviews. I'm interested in seeing Oscar Issac in more things since I keep hearing about how great of an actor he is, but from the stuff I've seen him in (Sucker Punch, Ex Machina, and the Star Wars movies), I'm skeptical.
SirChompsAlot

Postby SirChompsAlot » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:19 pm

I finished Halt and Catch Fire a couple nights ago. Seasons 3 and 4 were excellent and worth getting through the first season. It's kind of hard to recommend that someone slog through S1 to get there, but IMO it was worth it. At least it's only four 10 episode seasons, but that's still a shit ton of time to devote to something.
SirChompsAlot

Postby willbreathes » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:52 pm

A Stupid & Futile Gesture is a pretty solid film, about National Lampoon.

Also, all of the Jaws are streaming. That first one is a masterpiece, not that anybody needs to be told that.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby ghost » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:38 am

From March 1, 2013:
nanook wrote:Me and Ashley have been watching Supernatural every night almost. When I first saw her watching it I thought it was gonna be cheesy, and it is in parts, but now I can't stop watching it.

Basically about two brothers that hunt demons, ghosts and other strange things.

I started watching with Jamie. We're almost through season one. It's much better than I expected. It could easily be a Netflix original as opposed to WB or whatever network it was on. It's currently in its 14th season. That's a lot of shows to catch up on.
ghost
Human Being

Postby ghost » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:46 am

From August 7, 2017:
ghost wrote:Ozark. Jason Bateman is a financial planner from Chicago who got involved with laundering money for a drug cartel. Things go wrong, and he has to relocate to Missouri. Pretty good so far (5 of 10 episodes). Lots of interesting characters.

EDIT: I finished the first season or chapter or group of shows or whatever they call it on Netflix. The problem is, when is there going to be more? It just came out last month. It hasn't even officially been given the OK for more episodes. I do think it's worth watching though.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-demand/2018-06-01/ozark-season-2-release-date-netflix-cast-plot/
ghost
Human Being

Postby Katiemay » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:47 pm

ghost wrote:From March 1, 2013:
nanook wrote:Me and Ashley have been watching Supernatural every night almost. When I first saw her watching it I thought it was gonna be cheesy, and it is in parts, but now I can't stop watching it.

Basically about two brothers that hunt demons, ghosts and other strange things.

I started watching with Jamie. We're almost through season one. It's much better than I expected. It could easily be a Netflix original as opposed to WB or whatever network it was on. It's currently in its 14th season. That's a lot of shows to catch up on.

I have been bit by the Supernatural bug as well. Currently taking a break after season 3 because I don't want it to be the only thing I watch. I do find it incredibly cheesy, but I've gotten past it for the entertainment value. I'm pretty invested, but wonder what can they possibly still be coming up with at season 14. Suppose I'll find out eventually.

Finished a rewatch of The Office last night. Just in time to watch the new season of Arrested Development! After watching the latest season, I'm going to watch the series again, for the millionth time (slight exaggeration).
Katiemay

Postby Harpua » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:00 pm

** In Ron Howard's voice**
"She was not exaggerating."
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby ghost » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:59 am

New Matt Groening cartoon on Netflix this month? Just heard of it.

::stands up after just crawling out from under rock::

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/08/disenchantment-review-groenings-new-netflix-toon-is-off-to-a-bloody-good-start/
ghost
Human Being

Postby willbreathes » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:31 pm

Glow season 2 is fantastic.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Katiemay » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:43 am

^I'm in the middle of the new season of Orange itn Black. Liking it alright, even though I kind of just want them all back together in the old place. The show has aged well. Lori Petty is f-ing phenomenal in her role. I really enjoy watching her in her few scenes.
Katiemay

Previous

Return to Non-Phish Discussion