Game of Thrones Thread (Holy F**king Dragons Edition)

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Game of Thrones Thread (Holy F**king Dragons Edition)

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:16 pm

^Pretty cool. I definitely had a map saved on my computer to look at when I see some locations mentioned.

I think Stannis had like 8K troops when they were at the Wall. Unfortunately, ALL the sellswords left him by the time Stannis got near Winterfell.

Yeah, but it was emphasized that the big advantage for Stannis wasn’t just the numbers…it was the cavalry. The dude had horses. When the sellswords left him in the last episode, they made a point that they “took all the horses with them.” Stannis’ army wasn’t just cut in half…it lost the one major advantage they had in a cavalry. Regardless of numbers, guys on foot don’t win against horses unless you have dedicated pikemen like the Unsullied.

And it’s also that cavalry that easily routed the Wildlings and they made a point of showing that in the end of last season. Given that the Boltons clearly have a cavalry of their own, the Wildlings would need to find a bunch of horses or they’d be screwed. Unless they do some kind of guerrilla warfare or something that the Boltons can’t think of…it’d be much more likely that a small group of Wildlings would infiltrate Winterfell to cause havoc rather than a big battle.

If the Boltons, who are Wardens of the North, find out the Wildlings are at The Gift and wanted to spend the manpower to root them out, the Wildlings would have cause to defend themselves.

That’s how I see it…the Wildlings likely just want to settle somewhere rather than fight…unless someone attacked them first.

Although if it is, I am OK with that because the Watch has doomed themselves when Winter Arrives, just like Stannis dooming himself when he killed Shireen (or when he first decided to follow / believe in the LoL).

Hard to say what was the “dooming” moment. There were a number of things that just didn’t go Stannis’ way. He arrogantly believed he was “destined” to be king and didn’t think he could lose, his army was full of non-loyal sellswords from the Iron Bank, Jon refused to help unite the North behind Stannis, Stannis couldn’t get Mance to rally folks to fight on his side and arrogantly wanted him to kneel, winter picked up badly and Stannis refused to turn back (which was kind of understandable), the way forward was blocked, and then there was Ramsey’s sneak attack…it was a large combination of things that all conspired against him even before he did anything to Shireen. Seemed it was doomed from the beginning.

I think that storm-system would have ended even if they didnt sacrifice her (although we will never know for sure).

Perhaps not, but I, like Stannis, assumed that winter was the start of the “Winter is Coming” and it seemed like it’d get worse before it got better. The fact that it melted right after the sacrifice doesn’t seem like coincidence. But, you’re right…we can’t be sure.

We've definitely seen evidence that Melissandre doesn't really know what she's talking about

I think she’s way off on her prophesy and interpreting it to mean that Stannis was the chosen one. But she clearly has legit powers in some way. But yeah, I’ve seen even book readers who aren’t entirely sure on how much of her act is BS.
El Bastarde

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby AsianGirl » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:23 pm

In Season 5, we witnessed the downfall of the Lannisters (although a potential upside for Cersei in the form of FrankenMountain), foreshadowed by the very 1st scene of the season, and as fallout to S04E10. Collateral damage to the Tyrells who are probably still rotting in the dungeons of the Sparrows.

In Season 6, I hope to see the downfall of:
Boltons and
Freys
maybe a side of Baelish, but his story should be a much, much longer one.

Boltons
After the jump from Theon and Sansa, there are two possibilities: they get caught straight away or they get away. If they are caught at the perimeter of Winterfell, both of them are in for a world of hurt. Since both characters have already been through a 'world of hurt.' they will probably get away.

Where will they go? Surely the Boltons will be searching for Sansa frantically, as not having her in their possession further weakens their position. Of course, the Boltons can lie and pretend all is good and that they still have Sansa (like what the Lannisters said about Arya after her escape). Knowing Ramsay, he will send the dogs on them. Perhaps Sansa & Theon will pull an 'Osha' and double-back to Winterfell. But that may not fool Ramsay, who seems to be pretty sharp.

Let's hope that Sansa and Theon heads for Greatjon Umber's Last Hearth like Rickon & Osha. But we haven't heard about the Umbers in quite some time. Did Rickon & Osha ever make it?

I also still thinks that Roose will die before Ramsay, which paves the way for the downfall of the Bolton family. Should Ramsay die before Roose, Roose can make more heirs with Fat Walda, who is already pregnant. But with Roose dying before Walda gives birth (or after, if Ramsay allows them to live that long), then there can be a fight over Lordship of Winterfell between Freys and Ramsay.

Freys
The battle for Lordship of Winterfell between Ramsay and the Freys may lead to the civil war between the two regions / dominant forces in the North. Walder's had it coming since S03E09, and I would like to see his smug face die. It would be brilliant to see the two former allies battle and decimate one another.

Another character who survived S03E09 was Brynden Tully, Catelyn's uncle the Blackfish. I would love to see Byrnden stir some shit up for the Freys. How awesome would it be if Brynden rescues Edmure, Catelyn's brother (and Lord of Riverrun), and then fortify Riverrun as resistance to the Freys (who incidentally was awarded Riverrun in their role to take down the Stark-Tully forces).

It may also be possible that Brynden joins up with the Brotherwood without Banners, who is against the Lannisters and pro the common people.

Walder Frey has a lot of children and grandchildren. It may be possible for one of them to want to 'take care' of Walder in order for Walder's heir to finally ascent as Lord of the Neck / Twins, especially now that they have expanded their region of influence to the Tully territories.

Baelish
A Stark needs to be the end of Littlefinger. Baelish has been taking down Starks left and right by starting the entire chain of events and causing 'chaos' in the GoT world. It would be great if somehow Sansa finds out the truth, or if Bran somehow wargs into something to kill Baelish. I would not mind seeing Littlfinger roast in the flames of one of Dany's dragons, much like King Harren of Harrenhal did. Belish is the current Lord of Harrenhal, no?
*Everything from now on is all Gravy*
AsianGirl

Postby AsianGirl » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:59 pm

ICC wrote:I don't think Stannis is dead...

^Osha will be back in the show for definite, whether or not she's with Rickon remains to be seen, but her return is mentioned on the Series 3 DVD commentary.

Should Stannis survive, how will his story continue? Would love to hear some random, brain-stormin; theories. His Red Priestess has abandoned him, and Ser Davos will never forgive him for burning Shireen alive. Stannis still *is* and believes he is the One True King so he probably wouldn't pull a 'Ser Barristan' and head East to help another would-be Regent.

I would be stoked to see Osha again; she is so hardcore and I like the actress who plays her. A true survivor, she is. That woman climbed over the Wall, for goodness sake!
AsianGirl

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:52 pm

we witnessed the downfall of the Lannisters

Debateable. They still have the king and Cersei may have some political power and we may see her wrath next season. Jaime’s coming back as well and Kevan’s back as the Hand. They’re not done yet. Seems it’s the Tyrells who are in worse shape especially with Loras as their only heir. I thought the Lannisters were done this season but now I’m not so sure.

In Season 6, I hope to see the downfall of:
Boltons and
Freys

I don’t see any way the Boltons go down unless the Walkers start making their move. I could see Frey just dying of old age but then the Boltons would just take over his land…unless Baelish does first.

Where will they go?

Brienne’s still in the area so she could still swoop in to help. From there, I’m guessing that Sansa will want to find her brothers since she knows they’re alive (Brienne could also tell her about Arya). Since Brienne is still serving Cat Stark, she’d be willing to help find them. This could lead to them finding Rickon like you mentioned…though I don’t know where they go from there.

I also still thinks that Roose will die before Ramsay, which paves the way for the downfall of the Bolton family.

Maybe just because folks won’t want to serve a nutjob but he has been legitimized and is the rightful heir. I don’t think you rebel against Ramsey unless you’ve got the manpower to do so.

Freys
The battle for Lordship of Winterfell between Ramsay and the Freys may lead to the civil war between the two regions

I don’t see the Freys getting in any wars with anyone. They’ve often stated that about the Freys…after the Red Wedding, Tyrion confronts his Dad and says that the Freys are many things but they’re not brave…based on the Frey’s reputation alone, Tyrion knew his Dad was behind it. The Freys seem to be quite happy where they are and wouldn’t risk everything to attack an ally in the Boltons. Or maybe the Frey sons are more ambitious if the old man dies.

I would love to see Byrnden stir some shit up for the Freys.

Now, that I could see. Something like him breaking in, slaughtering Frey and his sons and rescuing his nephew.

Baelish
A Stark needs to be the end of Littlefinger.

No idea where he goes from here but he’d probably get taken down with a knife to the back or something.

Finally, for the first time in the history of the show... I'm all caught up with everyone!

Hurray!

I don't think Stannis is dead. The way Brienne looks at him after he says "do your duty" was more sympathetic than you would expect.

I dunno…I kinda saw Stannis sitting by that tree as him being pretty messed up as it is. Whether she killed him or not, I would think he’d die of blood loss. And, if not, what happens to him now?…there’s not very little left to his arc. I don’t see him being all buddy-buddy with Brienne in the woods.

Speaking of, I rewatched this scene to see Melisandre's reactions to Thoros raising Beric from the dead...she's clearly aware of the technique and is only surprised that Thoros had done it so many times. But, even more intriguing is the last part where Arya confronts Melisandre as she carts off Gendry. She predicts Arya killing folks but also says "We will meet again" which I had completely forgotten about. Does this mean Meli is off to Braavos?

It would just seem very bizarre to build such mystery around a character for 5 seasons and never really deliver on any of those mystery's.

I think this is a little overblown…it’s not like the show has really emphasized the mystery here. Don’t forget that part of that mystery is Ned bringing him home and Cat hating him and both of them are dead so that part will never be resolved. And, again, WE may figure it out but who in the show could possibly know the truth? And I can’t see him warging into Ghost because…well…he doesn’t have that power.
El Bastarde

Postby goldenroad » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:10 am

There is no way I can even try to keep up with this convo, but I'm glad this thread is still alive and well, and you all are too. Never know who's going to die next in this show....could it be YOU?
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:53 pm

Never know who's going to die next in this show....could it be YOU?

If we need more evidence that Jon Snow is alive, I saw him playing bass for Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings last night.

El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:08 pm

One of my co-workers sent me an e-mail today and this was his avatar. Awesome.

El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:52 pm

1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby piper » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:42 am

Last edited by piper on Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piper

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:40 pm

http://shamenun.com/

Highly useful.

http://youtu.be/jY_jRYvYXIY

That was surprisingly clever...
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:32 pm

In the book he does.

True, but they don’t even hint at it in the show…unless his “death” on the show is the moment when he discovers that power. I'm not really considering it for now.

Online Chapter of The WInds of Winter (next book) has him alive and well.

I heard that, but the books haven’t gotten to his attack on the Boltons yet either so it’s a lil irrelevant.

Maybe they meet with Theon and Sansa.

That could be the best thing to save Stannis but even then I doubt they’d care about him. I just don’t see what role Stannis could have from here on out…at the least, I figured he could go back up Jon Snow again but, well…that’s not going so well either.
El Bastarde

Postby AsianGirl » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:05 pm

Wait ... people think Stannis may still be alive?

I was under the impression that Stannis was the ill-fated example of selling one's soul to the devil, and in this case, Lord of Light (LoL). Everything that LoL 'gave' to Stannis for his faith in LoL had also been taken away, or 're-paid' with an even greater loss.

First instance we witnessed LoL's powers: Smoke Baby which killed Renly
Price: Renly, Stannis' own brother, dies. Stannis is 'weakened' from being able to make any more 'Smoke Babies'
Result: Stannis gains Renly's former troops
Taken Away: At the Battle of Balckwater, where most of those troops perished from Wildfire
Repaid: When Brienne finally kills him

[I'm gonna skip the leeches because I don't believe that they were actually manifestations of LoL's powers]

Next instance: Stannis' Blood Sacrifie (BS) of Shrieen, his one and only heir (since his brother Renly has already been killed)
Price: Shireen, only surviving child, is killed
Result: Snow storm abated; temperature on the rise
Taken Away/ Repaid: Selyse's suicide, more troops abandonment along with all the horses, Forces decimated / defeated at battle near Winterfell, killed by Brienne

If we included the leeches, Gendry was 'taken away' from Stannis when Davos freed Gendry, eventually leading to the sacrifice of Shireen. And if we want to talk Resurrections (a la Beric Dondarrion), the price is that one loses a bit of oneself (memories, etc) with each Resurrection.

So my conclusion is that LoL = the Devil. One may see some results from LoL, but anything given will all be taken away... and then some.

Oh, and not only do I think Stannis is dead, I think he is suffering in multi-levels of Hell, or its equivalent.
AsianGirl

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:23 pm

Wait ... people think Stannis may still be alive?

For this show, it seems like if they don’t see the guy’s head rolling on the ground, folks theorize that he’s still alive. They cut away from Stannis, they didn’t show the Hound breathe his last breath and we didn’t see Syrio get killed…so folks theorize that all are possibly still alive. I also think Stannis is dead as well as the Hound. Syrio, who knows?

I was under the impression that Stannis was the ill-fated example of selling one's soul to the devil

As was I. It’s almost emphasis that there is no “destined” ruler like Stannis thought he should be. He even had that speech about how he “must meet his destiny” whether he liked it or not, as though he didn’t have a choice…and he used that as an excuse to roast his daughter. And his story shows how the “destiny” stuff is total BS. Heck, the only reason Stannis had a claim is because his brother led a rebellion and it’s funny how he seemed to not realize that.

Taken Away: At the Battle of Balckwater, where most of those troops perished from Wildfire

We kinda forget that, despite the wildfire attack, Stannis’ forces were still invading and doing well to take over the city. It was actually Tywin pulling his forces back from Harrenhall that won the battle though the wildfire certainly bought some time.

So my conclusion is that LoL = the Devil. One may see some results from LoL, but anything given will all be taken away...

Interesting theory…the LoL does seem to entice the more shady characters in the show. I wouldn’t say the things given will be “taken away” though…more like a price has to be paid in order to get favor. I don’t think the LoL had anything to do with Stannis actually having bad stuff happen to him…the LoL fulfilled all his promises…it’s just that “real life” happens as a result of his devotion to the LoL…and the LoL can’t control that. He could melt the snow but couldn’t stop the people from abandoning Stannis.

Stannis was so much into his devotion with the LoL that he thought that PR and being likeable wasn’t important and people would follow him just because he’s destined. Heck, remember when Ramsey’s crew burned the camp?…he ordered the guards to be tortured and questioned, then killed. It’s emphasized throughout that he’s a great general but a bad ruler and that came through in spades.
El Bastarde

Postby marley » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:46 am

Almost finished with book one. I figure I gotta get up to date on what you crazy keds are talking about!
#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Postby AsianGirl » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:50 pm

^ we are talking about the TV show. Have you been watching?

I just finished reading Book 2 this week. Maybe this time next year I'll be done with Book 3
AsianGirl

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:43 pm

Almost finished with book one. I figure I gotta get up to date on what you crazy keds are talking about!

Yeah, I haven’t read the books at all. Kinda avoiding it until the show is done.

Have you been watching?

Good question. Get on that!
El Bastarde

Postby marley » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:47 pm

Nope! I haven't been watching. Don't have HBO. But I am 82% done with book one, according to my kindle. Hope to start book two soon.
marley
West Side Wook

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:55 pm

Nope! I haven't been watching. Don't have HBO.

Neither do I. At the worst, I have to wait an hour after it airs to download an episode. Maybe look into it.
El Bastarde

Postby AsianGirl » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:52 pm

I was reading the MagnaBall Info Page and came across this under Travel: Directions:
- From Westeros: Take the Shivering Sea until Qarth. Make a left on Rte. 41 and go straight until the Free City of Lorath. If winter comes, then you've gone too far.
AsianGirl

Postby marley » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:56 pm

Just started book 3, or Storm of Swords. Still haven't started the TV series yet. It's obvious that Martin is in no way eager to tie things together. He seems to only 'unfold' the story. In any case, these are good reads, and that's saying something for someone who doesn't really care for the 'fantasy' genre. Anyway, I have hopes for Dany and the Dragons.
marley
West Side Wook

Postby AsianGirl » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:38 pm

^ I just start Book 3 too! I think I'm still on the Jaime chapter, pretty much right after Catelyn lets him go with Brienne.

Sean do you ever plan to watch the show? I'm not asking if you plan to get an HBO subscription. (Yes, people who have HBO can watch the show; however, many who watch the show do not have HBO)
AsianGirl

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:16 pm

I was reading the MagnaBall Info Page and came across this under Travel: Directions:

Hee Hee…that’s awesome.
El Bastarde

Postby Katiemay » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:58 pm

Do they still do a theme for the camping sections at festivals? The lands of GoT would be perfect for that.
Katiemay

Postby willbreathes » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:34 pm

My tent always has a Hodor.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby themomadans » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:41 pm

After 5 months, I finished reading ASOIAF today!!!! I watched a season after finishing each of the books (ie. book one then season one, etc.) so I haven't seen season 5 yet. I'm so glad I can now read GoT stuff online free of spoilers (save maybe for minor stuff in season 5 not yet in the books?). Are you guys familiar with the R + L = J theory? I just watched a video on it and it's quite convincing:

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best
themomadans

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion