Game of Thrones Thread (Holy F**king Dragons Edition)

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Game of Thrones Thread (Holy F**king Dragons Edition)

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:33 pm

Are you guys familiar with the R + L = J

This seems to be the only theory that still fits anymore. Seems like most have it figured out. I'm still curious how it fits in the narrative...everyone who knows about it is likely dead.
El Bastarde

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby gamecat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:45 pm

gamecat
The Shepherd

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:02 pm

^Looks like they've given up trying to hide it.

If it's any consolation, my fantasy team in my money league has been called The North Remembers. After multiple injuries to the likes of Jamal Charles, Dion Lewis, Tony Romo and Steve Smith, I'm now 4-7 and changed the name to "For the Watch..." Because we need to take the team out back and stab it to death.
El Bastarde

Postby Katiemay » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:59 pm

^Haha
Katiemay

Postby themomadans » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:58 pm

Only three months till season 6. However, it looks like we've got some time to wait before The Winds of Winter. I'd say a late 2016 release at the earliest. If the wait makes for great writing, I'm all for it. Don't cut your hand off in anticipation:

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best
themomadans

Postby gamecat » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:39 pm

^ I take it you saw George RR Martin's post about missing his deadline?
That stinks. :cry:

Not sure how book publishing works, but if he's not even done with it yet I'm not sure it will be released this new year at all. I mean it would have to be edited and all that after he finishes it wouldn't it? Printed, etc....
Sadly I'm thinking not until 2017. :thumbdown:
gamecat
The Shepherd

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:23 pm

Not sure how book publishing works, but if he's not even done with it yet I'm not sure it will be released this new year at all.

Me neither. All the articles said was "Martin missed his Dec deadline" and I'm thinking "Well, can't he just turn it in in January or February?" Seemed a bit strange but maybe I just don't know how it works.

Either way, it's sad news for the readers since the show was already covering things not in the books at the end of last season...so now they could have an entire GoT season that spoils the book before it even comes out. I guess it makes me glad I've only been watching the show...I'd be going crazy if I was reading the books first...how often do we see a TV show actually spoiling the book rather than the other way around?

At the same time, it's kinda nice to see the shoe on the other foot...some of the more jerky book readers have been trying to spoil plot stuff the entire time the show's been on. Ah, karma.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:27 pm

It seems the celebrity got the best of him.

How many photos did I see of him out in public essentially goofing off.

I imagine the writing quality is going to take a hit for book readers.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:06 pm

How many photos did I see of him out in public essentially goofing off.

Perhaps but, to be fair, it's not like the guy can't enjoy his fame and it's not like the show really NEEDS his books to keep going (I read they're working on signing for a Season 7 and 8 now). I mean just because the guy's seen in public doesn't mean he wasn't working on the book earlier that day.

At the same time, it is baffling how long he takes to write these things.

I imagine the writing quality is going to take a hit for book readers.

Less descriptions of food?
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:40 pm

It just dawned on me that the new season starts in a week. Yet another reason to look forward to this weekend.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:57 pm

I still love you, Melisandre! You're my girl! Just keep that necklace on, please. Nice of her to give us some sugar before the big reveal...she's a giver. Of course, it made me wonder if we've ever seen her without it and I guess there's a scene of her in the bath without it earlier in the show. A simple editing error or significant? Either way, she's one of the few where we know nothing of her backstory so this is a bit of a peek into that.

Also, we're one show in and Jon Snow's still dead. I guess I was one of those who insisted he'd still be dead...but we all expected Melisandre to say something about saving him when she saw the body and she was just more bummed out. Seems all her predictions aren't happening. Will she lose faith in some way? And I just don't like the idea of him transferring into the dog...that will be weird to portray. "What is it, Jon Snow? Davos fell down the well!? Lead the way, boy!" I guess the only chance he has left is him being burned in a pyre and the Targarean blood keeping him from burning...but I don't know why this would bring him back.

At the same time, I have a feeling Aliser (and maybe all the Night's Watch) won't be long. Davos implied that Melisandre would help and I'm curious what she can do against 40 dudes...will the Wildlings really send back a force because Jon is dead? At best, they'll send a couple guys. Either way, I'm thinking Davos will have to do some slaughtering to get out of there.

Nice to see Breanne do something right for a change. Good for Sansa to have some legit muscle on her side now. Breanne vs Ramsey in our future?

Also, nice to see the dumb speculating was put to rest...Yes, Stannis is dead. Yes, Myrcella is dead. It got tiresome that just because they didn't show a character's last minutes doesn't mean they were dead. I really enjoyed the Prince's death scene...right when I was thinking "Maybe he should have his back to the other girl" he gets the spear in the face. So many great deaths on this show. And it looks like all-out war with Dorne and the Lannisters as Jaime seems to be on board with revenge and lord knows Cersei will be all for it. (Also, the location of the Prince's death was confusing...wasn't he on the boat to King's Landing? Did he not go once they found Mrycella was dead? That's all I can think of to explain it). (EDIT: I guess a coworker said the ship was moored at King's Landing...so I can only assume the girls somehow swam to the ship and stowed away or took their own ship after-the-fact).

No Bran, No Littlefinger, and Arya and Dany's stories still in limbo.

Either way, the show delivers. One episode and we get a fun battle scene, a few shocking murders to shift the waves and then the big reveal at the end. Here we go again!
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:59 pm

The entire Dorne story line is incredibly lazy.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Katiemay » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:03 pm

El Bastarde wrote:I still love you, Melisandre! You're my girl!

Haha. I was here earlier and thought about what your reaction to the "real" Red Witch would be.

El Bastarde wrote:Also, we're one show in and Jon Snow's still dead.

Not even any ideas being thrown around for his resurrection. They need to get moving or freeze the body at least! I thought Melisandre would have gotten to work immediately. It was a little disheartening when she did nothing.

El Bastarde wrote:No Bran, No Littlefinger, and Arya and Dany's stories still in limbo.

Dany isn't in limbo. She's going to live out her days in the fabulous Dothraki Widows Club! Wrapped up that story nice and neat.

Woooo!! So happy to have this show back. I wish the seasons were 10x longer.

P.S. Cersei's face as she watched the boat come in had to be some of the best acting I have ever seen. The subtlety in the change of expression seems like it would take years to perfect. I was seriously moved by both her heartbreak and the level of talent.
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:42 pm

The entire Dorne story line is incredibly lazy.

Well, it's supposedly different than the book as well. There's clearly supposed to be more to the story and there's a lot more politicking but the show clearly just doesn't have the time for it...there's already enough arcs going at once.

Dany isn't in limbo. She's going to live out her days in the fabulous Dothraki Widows Club! Wrapped up that story nice and neat.

LOL. Sure, that makes sense to me. We'll cut to her in various knitting circles and gossiping amongst her fellow widows.

P.S. Cersei's face as she watched the boat come in had to be some of the best acting I have ever seen.

Totally agree! Lena Headey's been fantastic during this entire show and just gets better as it goes. Not an easy character to play.

I'm pretty sure that whole Melisandre scene at the end *is* her saving Jon, we just haven't seen the results yet.

Well, I've heard folks already saying that the necklace makes Meli "invincible" or something...so they're all thinking she'll put the thing on Jon and he'll pop right back up. I do think the necklace gives some invulnerabilities (people pointed out that it glows in her first scene when she downs the poisoned drink) but it being used to raise the dead is another thing. I mean, I thought they addressed this in the first scene when she came into the room and just looked bummed out that Jon was gone...there's not a hint of her indicating that she can do something and it's just her being more depressed that something she "saw in the flames" was wrong. Which means she was wrong on both Stannis and Jon.

And, sure there's that Beric guy who's been revived but he's a surefire disciple of the Lord of Light while Jon isn't. Melisandre is aware of the procedure but has yet to be seen doing it herself...she seems to imply that Thoros "shouldn't have this power" which may mean that Meli doesn't either. Not to mention that he was there to revive Beric each time...I'm not sure you can leave the guy laying there for days and have it happen the same way.

I don't think she was doing anything special at the end of GoT...it looked like that was just her evening routine before hitting the sack.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Mon May 02, 2016 4:05 pm

Man, lots of happenings last night. It's sometimes hard thinking back and remembering what happened with everyone.

Ramsey makes his move. I figured he could do that if the child was a boy...I just didn't think it'd be that fast. I also noticed how similar that was to how Roose stabbed Robb. Felt a bit sorry for poor Walda though. There was talk of Ramsey heading North to take down Jon Snow which seemed like silly talk until we saw the end of the show with Jon waking up.

Someone at work pointed this out but it was easy to forget that Walda is a Frey...I'm sure Ramsey will come up with some "her and child died in childbirth" story but I don't know if they'd buy it with Roose dying the same day. We've seen that it's not smart to cross the Freys...Ramsey made have lost an ally.

Tyrion's pulling the Dragon Whisperer thing...I'd heard some stuff that Tyrion could be one of the people who tames the dragons (with Dany as one already) and it seemed ridiculous...but now maybe not. But I'm glad someone pointed out that the dragons are intelligent and shouldn't be treated like animals...brilliance.

The stuff with the Iron King was a bit out-of-nowhere with the brother that's not been mentioned before coming back. The fact that his brother disappeared after it happened almost made me think that Greyjoy had hallucinated but probably not. And with Theon going back there, it looks like we're finally going to see something more happen there. If the brother is truly crazy, that could be interesting.

Tommen looks like he just handed the reigns back to Cersei after she's been a lame duck for a while. Excellent. Queen Cersei with true power is legit fun.

Bran's stuff seems a bit out there but it dawned on me that we now have a method in which someone can find out about Jon's true (alleged) heritage. If Bran can see Lyanna when she's young, he may be able to see her later as she gives birth. I was wondering how they would find out about this "in show" and now we have a way.

And Meli got it done...the worst kept secret comes through. Nice scene...loved her saying "please" at the end. Also, any scene with the Giant is a great scene...I'd say the death of the week comes from that archer with the huge blood smear.
El Bastarde

Postby themomadans » Tue May 03, 2016 1:53 am

Yesterday's episode was fucking crazy, but before we get into deeper discussion, I think you all should take a minute and watch this video, it certainly changed me for the better:

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best
themomadans

Postby El Bastarde » Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 pm

What, I'm the only one watching this thing now? :mrgreen:

Last episode was obviously a bit of a setup for future events. I couldn't help but notice the large amount of characters we haven't seen in a while: Pycelle, Qyburn, Mace, Olenna, Kevan, Osha/Rickon, Sam/Gilly, etc. Most of those are on the council where it looks like we'll have a power struggle forming soon...I wonder how long before it gets bloody. The scene with the Sparrow and Tommen was groan-worthy...mostly because it looked like Tommen was getting hoodwinked like the dumb kid he is. I can just see him walking back in and yammering about the glory of the Gods...it'd be quite a boon if the Sparrow has the King in his pocket. Also noteable that he walks in there with an army of troops not for his wife but for his mother.

Really cool to see some flashbacks involving a few of these "legendary" warriors like Ser Dayne kicking the ass of Ned's entire group. The lore says there was a third Targareon Kingsguard who was killed there so I'm guessing he's in the tower and we'll see him later on. We all kinda think we know what happens there but it's still cool to see it. Also makes me wonder if Bran will try to change the past in some way later on...it seems he has some influence over events given that young Ned heard him.

I must say I like the new Umber Lord though he's obviously bad news for the Starks. Nice to see Osha and Rickon though I have a feeling things will be getting ugly...probably more for Osha than Rickon. We're also down to two direwolves left with Jon's in Castle Black and Arya's who she let go in Season 1 and who we haven't seen since.

Nice to have the quick montage to speed through Arya's training process...gotta get that arc moving. Dany's arc, however, still feels like it's at a standstill. Not much for Tyrion and the gang to do about the Masters from the other cities but I really liked showing off Varys doing his thing. Not sure what to make of Sam's arc but it looks like we'll see his Dad who cast his own son out as a failure.

And, goodbye to Alliser...Ollie was a bummer since he's a just a messed up kid whose family was murdered so I think Jon kind of knows that. And with him quitting the Watch he's free to leave and likely take the Wildlings with him...I assume Davos and Meli will be on his side as well.
El Bastarde

Postby Brother » Tue May 10, 2016 6:37 pm

Yes episode four or five should have some kind of mid season mini climax, no?
Brother

Postby willbreathes » Tue May 10, 2016 11:30 pm

I'm loving this season.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Wed May 11, 2016 2:14 pm

Yes episode four or five should have some kind of mid season mini climax, no?

Yeah, seems like there's usually a "mid season shocker" to build to...I felt that last season didn't have that since they seemed to save all the big surprises for the last show but I don't know how they can do that this season.

Definitely been an intriguing three episodes so far. Lots of goings on.
El Bastarde

Postby themomadans » Sun May 15, 2016 6:21 pm

This season is very good so far. However, I think the Dorne plot will rear its ugly head again tonight.

I hope Dany's and the King's Landing plots get moving soon. Although I do like the High Sparrow's plotting and seeing Tyrion, Varys and Missandei trying to run Meereen.

Castle Black plot is obviously amazing and I can't wait to see what Jon does now.

Hopefully Sansa and Rickon don't get wrecked by the new Lord Bolton. :(

Arya's plot is moving kind of slowly but has potential.

Big stuff is gonna happen with Bran's time traveling. Mark my words.
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best
themomadans

Postby El Bastarde » Mon May 16, 2016 2:38 pm

This season is very good so far.

Agreed. Loving every episode so far. There's just so much going on in each one.

I hope Dany's and the King's Landing plots get moving soon.

Looks like we all got our wishes on both of these.

Hopefully Sansa and Rickon don't get wrecked by the new Lord Bolton.

As I figured, the real casualty there was Osha...I knew things would go badly for her...either she'd be raped or killed like last night. It's a bummer but there wasn't any other way for her to get out of that. In other news, Ramsey has some fine letter-writing skills.

Anyway, go Khaleesi, go! I liked her both having a plan for that the entire time, AND using her fire immunity for her own gain...it's easy to forget she has that power sometimes. The scene at the end was fantastic (and some rare nudity from a gal who supposedly said she won't do it anymore! Yay!). I did find it a lil silly that everyone just crowded around the tent and you didn't see anyone seem to care about getting a bucket or something but, hey, it's a TV show.

So now we have a potential of brawls in the North AND in King's Landing. Snow's outnumbered but it looks like Baelish may be coming with backup from the South which could even things out...I wonder what his angle is there...yes, he'll be revered if he helps liberate Winterfell but Sansa will clearly still be pissed at him and she'll be in charge as the closest heir. I will say it's humorous that he's got a nutty teenaged king in his pocket...I guess he figured he can still get the kid to marry Sansa but it seems doubtful she'd do it. Also, it was very nice to see Sansa with a backbone and not being a punching bag all the time. About time! Maybe Baelish thinks he can still manipulate her though...

And someone is lying in King's Landing. Probably the Sparrow...he supposedly tells a secret about Margaery's walk of shame (which doesn't seem true based on what we saw of Marg), knowing Tommen would obviously tell Cersei...which means the Sparrow is orchestrating this possible attack by the Tyrells on himself? He's obviously up to something...maybe hoping to create a Tyrell vs Lannister conflict in the middle of the city which tears them both down?

Also I loved the contrast between Marg and Tommen...he seemed to be legitimately swayed by the Sparrow's talk while Margaery saw right through it and even played along. She's a pro.

And Cersei appeals to Kevan Lannister about his son being brainwashed...but you KNOW she'll order whatever troops she can to take down Lancel if given a chance. If she has a trial coming up, his death would be quite convenient.

Also enjoyed how Brienne conveniently interrupted Davos when he asked Melisandre about Stannis' daughter...I wonder what happens when he finds out what happens. Loved Brienne talking smack to both of them.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Tue May 24, 2016 2:25 pm

Hodor...
El Bastarde

Postby Katiemay » Thu May 26, 2016 8:23 pm

Still bumming days later. Pretty powerful storytelling there.

What else happened?
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:21 pm

I'm curious what Margaery's angle is. She's either:

-Actually converted to the Faith Militant. Quite doubtful here, especially when she was preaching to her brother to "stay strong." Given that he's pretty broken, I have a feeling she figured she'd do a change of tactics. Which leads to:

-Marg made a deal with the High Sparrow that, if she brings in Tommen, she gets off easy and they probably go easy on Loras too. The Sparrow seems to actually believe his own stuff so he may not lower himself to making deals. Which leads to:

-Given that the Sparrow may not make such deals, she's putting on an act for everyone, including trying to fool the Sparrow. Whether he believes it is another thing but if he's got the king in his pocket, he probably doesn't care.

Either way, it's interesting and another way for her to put the claws into Cersei.

Saw a few returns this week in Benjen and our boy Walder Frey with his prisoner Edmure. Somehow I don't think the Blackfish will back off just because Frey's got his nephew who he doesn't even like. Also, someone pointed out that this is a nice way to reunite Briene and Jaime since both are heading there.

Arya finally breaks off from the Faceless Men. Looks like it's going down next week as she seems like she's just waiting for the Waif to show up for a final brawl. (Unless this ends up as an ultimate trial or something). Of course, I kind of assumed that Waif and Jaqen were kind of the same people in a sense but they don't seem to act like it. I mean we supposedly see Jaqen kill himself with poison only for him to later take over Waif's body? I dunno how this stuff works...maybe the body/face is irrelevant and they're just "spirits" that inhabit bodies...
El Bastarde

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion