Game of Thrones Thread (Holy F**king Dragons Edition)

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Game of Thrones Thread (Holy F**king Dragons Edition)

Postby Katiemay » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:49 pm

Things are really picking up steam and coming together this season, in terms of major beginning and ending plot points. For 10 weeks a year, I look forward to the end of the weekend.

Very much looking forward to seeing how the whole King's Landing storyline plays out. I think Cersei may have met her match in Margaery. And speaking of meeting matches, Arya better take 'a bitch' down!
Katiemay

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby willbreathes » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:00 pm

Dany is a terrible ruler, but a great conqueror.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:10 pm

For 10 weeks a year, I look forward to the end of the weekend.

Heh, I hear you. I normally dread Sunday night since it's the end of the weekend but at least I have GoT to make it end on a high note. Sadly, by the time I'm done watching it, I usually have to go straight to bed which can be tough if the episode has me all pumped up.

also think Sansa and Rickon are going to die

I'd be shocked if Rickon doesn't end up messed up in some way by the end of this. Sansa, we'll see on that. Looks like she's finally going to invite Littlefinger into her group...we'll have to see how that goes.

I don't like Dany. She is fucking mad. Essentially she wants to kill off all our favorite characters in Westeros. She has that fucking "mad" gene I tell ya.

There are some who feel she'll end up as a villain in this show. In the end, this whole show has been about us cheering for characters who have done horrible things...it's about which ones are the least horrible. Of course I love Khaleesi...she's "learning on the job" and that's clear but she's been getting smarter about things.

So, Ian McShane's big cameo was to show up for one episode and get killed...made the hype over his appearance kind of seem not worth it. A lot more Hound content than I expected (since he was dead) and it was a nice way to reintroduce him but it moved almost a lil too quickly. I guess he's going after the Brotherhood then?...

And, wow, I figured Arya would be more on-guard against retaliation than we thought. Poor gal got messed up.

And Marg confirms she's playing the Sparrow...it's debatable whether he really buys her act but it was refreshing to see her playing the game as usual.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:54 pm

Was that Arya?
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:41 pm

Was that Arya?

Oooo....nice theory. Only problem was I'd think it'd have been revealed if it wasn't her rather than showing her walking through the streets bleeding and freaking out.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:10 pm

Or was No One not freaking out, leaving a trail of blood, and actually No One is testing the waif? Who did not kill her quickly, and made her suffer. Which would go against the Faceless God because it shows a grudge was being held... when there should be no grudge.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby gamecat » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:33 am

Yeah, I was kinda pissed about Ian McShane not even lasting an episode. :thumbdown:
I loved him in Deadwood and was hoping we'd get some good stuff outta him here too. oh well.,,,

I like how you're think Willy boy. Didn't even consider that. :thumbup:
gamecat
The Shepherd

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:39 pm

Or was No One not freaking out, leaving a trail of blood, and actually No One is testing the waif?

I saw Ms. Rubins on the After the Thrones series had the same theory. But it's just weird to try to figure it out.

-Some say that it's not Arya but then we're implying that she hired some similar-looking girl (with a perfect Arya mask?) to stand there and willingly be assaulted? Not only is that weird but it's also a really dick thing to do by Arya who just quit the Faceless Men because she didn't want to do a dick thing and kill an innocent actress.

-Or, she somehow stuffed pig meat under her shirt, anticipating that she was going to get stabbed exactly there and she's not that hurt and is walking down the street to draw Waif out? Why do this when you already DID draw Waif out when she showed up as an old woman?

-Or Arya WAS actually stabbed and, despite being messed up, bleeding badly and likely in major pain, she still decided to put on a show for the Waif?

All of these theories don't fit to me. I WILL agree that it didn't seem in Arya's character to just be happily buying passage out and not suspecting that the Faceless Men would come after her...so that's probably why folks think things didn't seem right. But the bleeding through the streets scene is what doesn't fit to me. Even if we believe that Jaqen had a change of heart, poses as Arya and then sacrifices himself to save Arya from Waif, I still don't think he'd be scared and wandering through the streets afterward.

Who did not kill her quickly, and made her suffer. Which would go against the Faceless God because it shows a grudge was being held...

Maybe this is what saves Arya? Jaqen maybe saves Arya's life as penance for Waif going against the Faceless God like you say...

Yeah, I was kinda pissed about Ian McShane not even lasting an episode.

To be fair, he wasn't too bad in the role he had. Gotta say that Game of Thrones is sweet show when an elite actor like McShane can be brought on for basically a cameo.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:47 pm

Also, the third name that Arya said on Jaqen's "hit list" was Jaqen himself. Maybe this is the fulfillment of the "you spared three lives from the red queen...." mumbo jumbo from seasons ago.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:05 pm

Also, the third name that Arya said on Jaqen's "hit list" was Jaqen himself.

Not sure if I remember this. Though seeing that Jaqen killed himself and seems to be quite fine probably makes killing him difficult. He seems like the type that doesn't have a real physical body.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:18 pm

It was back when you first see Jaqen, locked up in the paddy wagon with two others. Arya frees them, and he asks for three names to be killed. I forget the first two off the top of my head, but they were people chasing her around whichever castle they were in at the time. Then she names Jaqen as the third.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe she ever unnamed him.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby willbreathes » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:20 pm

Also, that one scene by the poison well, Arya sees her own face on another body... so apparently you do not have to be dead to be "faceless".
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:15 pm

Then she names Jaqen as the third.

Oh yes, I remember that now. But it was mostly just a ploy to get Jaqen to help them escape...since Arya offers him an alternative to killing himself by freeing them instead...I don't think that was serious at all.

Either way, looks like the Faceless Men arc is done. Also seems like Arya did "pass" and is accepted among them...she even remembered to still offer the owed blood to the Faceless God so that's nice of her. Seems like she could be one of them then but she's heading home instead. Loved how they tapped into her time when she couldn't see and then she uses blind fighting at the end...badass.

Some good scenes with Jaime/Brienne and especially Jaime/Edmure there. Looks like he's still going to let the Tully army go North (though that was unclear) but I thought the Blackfish's death was kind of stupid but he's a stubborn old coot. And something tells me that's the last time Brienne and Jaime will be able to meet under peaceful terms...that felt like a final goodbye there.

Whelp, Dany's back, finally...Tyrion's arc has been kind of treading water for a while though I've liked the scenes of him getting Missandre and Grey Worm to open up. I was expecting to see scenes of Drogon burning the fuck out of those slaver boats...but maybe next week. And I'm unsure on Varys' mission but I thought they mentioned ships...maybe he's off to meet Yara?

And it was SO nice to see Zombie Mountain in action...even if it was just destroying some nameless Faith guy...that was pretty awesome. And, of course, the Sparrow is smart and gets the combat trial banned...which is a bummer because I wanted to see Zombie Mountain mess up more suckas. Then there's the issue of Qyburn's secret...I can't imagine what that could be...maybe some dirt on Margaery or the Sparrow? I've seen multiple co-workers who say it's about Tyrion or Varys but why would they bring up rumors on that at that particular moment?

Oh yeah, and Hound killing people with an axe. Though I kind of figured those guys weren't really following Brotherhood orders. Nice of the Hound to get more of a purpose with those guys...it sounded like they're headed North but who knows.

Love it. Action-packed show. I'm often surprised that they fit all that stuff into a single hour. So what's left? The attack on Ramsey seems to be next week, there's Dany's battle in Mereen and then eventually Cersei's trial. I have a feeling Arya's arc may be done for the season and who the hell knows about Bran...maybe we'll get a few more shocking revelations from the past out of him.

The big question...Where is Ser Pounce during all this?
El Bastarde

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:21 pm

Um, next week gunna be utter, utter heat

:thumbup:
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Postby Katiemay » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:16 pm

Battle of the Bastards! Coming this Father's Day to your television screens! Who will make it out alive?
Katiemay

Postby gamecat » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:00 pm

Arya better not be done this season.
I need Lord Walder Frey to get what's coming to him. :evil:

...and we better get some more Dragon love this week.
gamecat
The Shepherd

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:51 pm

next week gunna be utter, utter heat

Damn right. A wild night for me too...I saw Paul Simon, then hit a bar for the last quarter of Game 7, then it was watching GoT late that night. Such a badass episode...it's why we watch this show, right?

RIP Ramsey. He was a fine villain but he'd really reached his villanous peak. He was head of his house and head of Winterfell and there was only one way to go from there. And, man, when I saw him drag Rickon out onto the battlefield, you knew the kid was fucked. I kinda liked how there was a huge delay in the 2nd arrow falling and then the third hits immediately afterward. Though, I thought Ramsey might get nasty and put the third arrow into Jon, instead of Rickon.

They also teased Jon biting it multiple times, first with the stampeding horses (which resulted in them falling for Ramsey's trick like Sansa warned) then with him getting buried (though I half-expected he'd be found there barely alive later). Still loved that scene after the horses approached where they just followed Jon as he sliced down dudes one by one in one long shot...awesome shit.

RIP to our favorite giant as well...Always loved watching Wan Wan mess folks up.

And Davos finally figured out the Shireen death, or at least concluded that she died in the camp and not in any fighting. Shit may get ugly for my favorite Red Witch.

Dany's dragons were pretty satisfying as well...we were waiting for her to hit the Dragon Button and just end that battle immediately. Sweet to see Yara making the deal as well.

Arya better not be done this season.

I have a feeling she is. At best they may show her landing back in Westeros but that's a bit much...unless she shows up in his ole Walder's chambers in the end...

So next week I'm guessing it'll be Cersei and Loras' trial and maybe a little bit of Bran content with some extra flashbacks. Likely has some cleanup in the Bastard Brawl aftermath...When you think about it, Littlefinger kinda holds all the cards. He has the only army, after all. He could just take over but I'd imagine that's not his style. But Sansa and Jon owe him which is pretty huge.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:29 pm

When the first giant fell, we cheered.

When the second giant fell, we cried.

What a wonderful show.

willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby gamecat » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:10 am

Well stated Will.
That last sequence with the giant was heartbreaking. Especially with him looking at Jon.

Last week was some amazing story telling.
Some of the best I've ever seen.
It seemed there was no real spoken words during the battle(20 min?)... and it was breathtaking.

...and I got some awesome dragon love. The band's back together. :twisted:
Dani's is in pretty good shape. She's got the unsullied, dothraki, iron island ships, and even another army if my memory serves right.

Can't believe the season finally is next week.
gamecat
The Shepherd

Postby Katiemay » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:13 am

What an episode. I know the afterglow is still lingering, but that had to be one of the best battle scenes I have ever witnessed. I laughed out loud several times during the episode, not even in amusement, but I just as a release of the high level of tension and excitement.

When the other 2 dragons broke out, I was like a cheesy kid, cheering.

Thought we were going to lose Tormund. Glad we didn't.

The Tyrion/Dany pairing is like peas and carrots.

I'm glad there is still one episode left. Sad that the next 2 seasons will be shorter. I love every minute of this show, even the "boring" scenes, so I don't want it feeling rushed. Even though it had been several episodes since they fled the Iron Islands, when Yara and Theon showed up in Mereen, I was like "already?"
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:29 pm

What an episode. I know the afterglow is still lingering, but that had to be one of the best battle scenes I have ever witnessed.

Agreed. I remember finishing the show and saying "Yeah, THAT is why I watch this show." You don't get this kind of stuff anywhere. That stuff with Jon being buried and the shots from his perspective of the light fading were flat-out uncomfortable.

Thought we were going to lose Tormund. Glad we didn't.

Me too. I thought we may even lose Jon again since they teased it multiple times.

Even though it had been several episodes since they fled the Iron Islands, when Yara and Theon showed up in Mereen, I was like "already?"

Yeah, the time periods in the show are kind of shifting like where scenes that we see in different areas may be months apart from each other. It was certainly quick there but they've got to move things along a bit. I try to just not worry about it...they'll likely all converge by the end anyway.

So, what will Cersei do. Will she really set off the wildfire under King's Landing if things don't go her way? Of course, we have no confirmation that she was even asking Qyburn about it but, if Bran's visions are the future, we may see that stuff go off. She does seem like the type to burn everything rather than let the Sparrow have it.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:19 pm

Holy fucking shit...they cutting payroll!

Damn, I love this show. I could have turned it off after 20 minutes and been completely satisfied. I also love the production of the first scenes...it was all set to music and I liked the scenes of everyone getting ready...Margaery and Tommen with attendants and then the Sparrow just tossing on a shitty robe. It included us seeing Cersei getting ready but we find out it's not to go to the trial.

And man, you thought the wildfire would come into play but it was still wild to see it actually happen. After the scene my mind was reeling as I tried to remember everyone who just got roasted. My girl Marg, Loras, Mace, Kevan Lannister, Lancel, the Sparrow....fwoosh! And Pycell's death meant the entire Small Council went down. I also liked how they had the drama of what happened to Loras and us thinking of what Margaery's plans could be to kind of throw us off when none of it mattered.

Arya finally gets it done! I never really thought it was her when she kept staring at Jaime (he's not on "the list") and they'd shown other girls staring at him earlier in the season so I didn't think much of it. Very satisfying how that ended. So, who's next? I looked up her list and she's got Cersei, Beric, Thoros, Ilyn Payne and the Mountain on it. The Hound was on it but I believe he's been removed. Melisandre is on the list too and she happens to be moving south in Arya's direction and Melisandre did say they'd meet again. Seems like the Brotherhood would logically be next since they're in the area.

In the end, Cersei's in charge but she may be fucked...in looking at Dany's army, you wonder how she can lose...especially if she now has an alliance with Dorne and the Tyrells. But Cersei doesn't care anyway...loved her villanous "confession" to the Shame Nun...she does it because it "feels good." Simple as that. It'll be interesting what Jaime thinks of it too...I'd imagine him seeing Cersei crowned meant he knew that Tommen was dead but it's hard to say if he cares. There's the prophesy that Cersei will die to a little brother as well so it's hard to say who that will be. Tyrion seems obvious but there's also the Hound would would likely have to go through his brother to do it.

Then it's obviously confirmed about Jon's heritage via Bran...and I was surprised when the guys declared Jon King of the North...so where does he go from here? Looks like he's got an enemy in Littlefinger who is still the wild card in all this. We know what everyone else will probably do...except him.

I wanted to applaud when that episode ended...that was fantastic. May need to watch it again.
El Bastarde

Postby Katiemay » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:22 pm

Excellent. I always wish I had a big, flat screen TV when I'm watching, but that episode was so cinematic and grand, it really felt like I was doing it an injustice. But it didn't stop me from loving every single second.

I predict Cersei, the Mad Queen, doesn't make it through the end of next season. Since the final episodes will have to be focused mostly on the battle for survival of the human race, I think much of the politics for the throne will be settled in next season. The question is, who will be the lucky one to take her out? I had forgotten about the little brother prophecy. I hoped more for Arya or Olenna. Jamie, perhaps? Having to slay another mad ruler who won't hesitate to burn the city and all those in it? I like to hope Olenna will be directly involved though, that feisty old broad. Bummed about Margaery. I thought her story had more to it, but I can see now where it didn't. There are bigger fish to fry (no pun intended) with the way the pace of this show is going.
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:34 pm

Excellent. I always wish I had a big, flat screen TV when I'm watching, but that episode was so cinematic and grand, it really felt like I was doing it an injustice.

I download them so I used to watch them on a monitor but I plug it into my big TV nowadays so it's pretty cool. I want to rewatch the first 20 minutes again at least.

I predict Cersei, the Mad Queen, doesn't make it through the end of next season.

The question is how could she survive? Dorne and the Tyrells alone probably have enough might by themselves to topple her, everyone in King's Landing probably hates her, she may even have parts of her own family against her (Kevan Lannister was head of Casterly Rock), AND she's got Dany's massive army bearing down on her as well. It's almost a question of how she could ever win?

Unless she pulls what the Mad King wanted to do and burns everyone while they're invading the city. There's some theories that Jaime will once again be a Kingslayer and be the one to take her out when she tries to do this again but, given how devoted he is to her, I'm not sure on that. I see him as a more tragic thing where he goes down in flames along with her...maybe literally.

I had forgotten about the little brother prophecy.

My problem with it is that's not in the show at all. And the books state that Jaime came out of the womb after her but to use that to claim he's a "little brother" is kind of flimsy and cheesy to me.

Bummed about Margaery. I thought her story had more to it, but I can see now where it didn't.

Me too...I thought she had more plans but it appears all she did was just make a deal with the Sparrow...she brings the Sparrow Tommen and he lets Loras walk.
El Bastarde

Postby goldenroad » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:01 pm

It is just so good to see this show back on track. I can follow Starks vs Lannisters vs Targaryens VS White Walkers, but it was just getting way too complicated, (too many tangential plots) for its own good. Nice way to wrap up the season and actually make me care about what's going to happen next season. I really wasn't even interested in watching this season for the first few weeks it was on, but, hell, I don't have much else to watch. Glad I decided to get back into it though.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion