Game of Thrones Thread (Holy F**king Dragons Edition)

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Game of Thrones Thread (Holy F**king Dragons Edition)

Postby Katiemay » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:38 pm

El Bastarde wrote:^Everyone keeps saying that and it seems like way too much work and hassle. And why'd he want to drag Gilly and that kid back to a place where they're immediately in danger. At the least, I think he'd drop them off somewhere...maybe at his family home. I'd think he'd find out there.

Yeah, I doubt Sam would put Gilly and the kid in such danger. He'll probably bring them to Horn Hill and find out. Then have to struggle with being head of his house but wanting to get out there and pseudo-maester Westeros to victory against the WW. He certainly seems intent on getting back to the North to me. Maybe Winterfell. Where else would he be going after that dramatic exit?
Katiemay

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:45 pm

He'll probably bring them to Horn Hill and find out. Then have to struggle with being head of his house but wanting to get out there and pseudo-maester Westeros to victory against the WW.

Well, he gave up his title so he technically has no rights to the Tarly stuff. But I'd imagine his mother would at least welcome him and Gilly to stay there. Frankly, I don't see why he can't just hang there and read and send letters to Jon about what he finds out. Why go further North?

Anyway, apparently Westeros is fucked. Go figure that the dragon named Viserys is the first to go down...just didn't think it'd happen so quickly. We knew it was a bad idea but now we know it was a really, really bad idea. At least Jon admits it at the end.

So, you're the Night King...your dude hands you your badass ice spear. Directly in front of you is Drogon who is immobile and on the ground and the only means of escape of the pesky humans you've been waiting all night to kill. In the air is Viserion who is flying at high speeds and at a much greater distance. Who do YOU go after? I can only assume the Night King had a side bet with his Walker lieutenant there. "Bet you $20 I can hit that one flying."

Also, after last week and this week, I'd say we can conclude that people in Westeros can simply hold their breath longer than everyone else.

Seriously, I strangely never felt like Jorah and the Hound were in danger but everyone else seemed fair game to die there. Really thought Tormund was fucked for a second there as well. I also enjoyed all the conversations they had with each other beforehand. Even got mention of Mance not bending the knee, and the stuff about Jon's sword and the humorous exchange about Brienne.

The Arya stuff is frustrating but it's supposed to be since she's basically wrong. I can only assume SOMETHING is going down with that next week.

And at least we've moved past the "subtle" romantic overtones between Jon and Dany...
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:41 pm

Well, I don't think the last episode was as eventful as we'd want it but I really liked it...with this season of super-fast happenings, I felt this one was back to a more deliberate pace of taking its time. They did well with multiple showdowns and properly built up the suspense on these scenes even if it was just folks talking. I was glad to see them get back to that.

Littlefinger finally got his comeuppance which makes sense...his character felt like Ramsey's where he'd gone about as far as he could go in this show...there was nothing much left but to die at this point. Though I suppose I'm unsure why Arya and Sansa went with the charade but I can assume they did it for the sake of Baelish's spies or maybe did so as a final test to see if he would still try to drive them apart by planting the letter.

And I'd been yelling at them to use Bran as a resource and was very glad to see they did. I knew something was up when Bran was seated there since he could tell the truth on the entire Arya thing if they tried accusing her...instead he dished it on Baelish. Loved that. Sansa rocked that scene.

The Sam/Bran scene was a lil fan-service-y but nice especially since it confirmed that Sam didn't just blow off the Gilly revelation since he had to transcribe it. Loved that we finally saw a short clip of Rhaegar (looks like Viserys, which kinda makes sense) and loved how it was done with the voiceover during the scenes.

They also said Jon's name is Aegon Targaryen. I found this weird since Rhaegar's son with Elia Martel was also named Aegon. I get that they like to honor the Conquerer a lot but you'd think he'd come up with a different name for his own kids.

Loved the whole scene of the meeting. The Hound talking up his bro, Euron talking smack to Theon before anyone gets a word in, and then the Wight leaving an impression (on Jaime at least). And I have a feeling Bronn may be joining Jaime on his journey, if only because Jaime's the guy who has to pay Bronn off and Bronn's not letting him out of his sight. And, yeah, Jaime may tell them Cersei's plans but, by the time he gets there, I'd imagine they'll know Cersei's troops aren't marching anyway.

Also, maybe it's me, but that zombie dragon didn't look like it was shooting ice. Looked more like just white fire. Which makes more sense. Either way, Bran knows he's got a dragon since his crows were there...I just wonder if Jon/Dany will run into them on the way back.
El Bastarde

Postby goldphish » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:22 pm

Very fun to watch this season but the writing is annoying. Many scenes felt forced, rushed with little nuance. Anyway the show is riding on the inertia created by GRRM, not Benioff/Weiss, so it'll reach the shore all on it's own.. the writers are just filling in the blanks... like GOT mad libs lol
goldphish
White Mountain Scallop

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:37 pm

Very fun to watch this season but the writing is annoying.

Over this season, a little bit. Last episode? No. But I still put much of this success on Benioff/Weiss and less on Martin. He's not the one making these scenes as dramatic as they are and he's not the one adapting it to TV...he's also written his fair share of ridiculous arcs that the show-runners wisely left out. He hasn't been a part of the show in quite a while so we can't claim it's just this last season that has been weaker without his influence.
El Bastarde

Postby SirChompsAlot » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:45 pm

Man, I think Littlefinger going down was probably the most satisfying death of the whole series. I mean Joff clawing at his throat was great, but the fact that LF didn't see it coming and him begging for his life at the end made it better IMO.

As far as the writing, I'm with goldphish. It's just felt clunky and rushed at times this season. Not that it hasn't been that way in previous seasons, but I think it was more obvious with the shortened season.

My biggest gripes with this season:
1) That dumb-assed mission to bring a wight to show Cersei. In the end it was just a dumb mechanism to give the Night King a zombie dragon. Cersei reacted exactly the way that I think every viewer expected her to, and I'm not sure if Tyrion knows that she was going to back out of the truce, but he should have expected it as well.
2) The forced tension between Arya and Sansa, just so they could throw the "OMG THEY KILLED LITTLEFINGER!" shocker in there.
3) The sped up timelines. I'm glad that they didn't linger on any weird traveling sideplots, but at the same time so much happened from episode to episode and apparently Euron has some kind of teleportation device for his entire fleet.

That said, while there were some episodes I didn't care much for this season, I did really enjoy last night's episode.
SirChompsAlot

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:18 pm

I mean Joff clawing at his throat was great, but the fact that LF didn't see it coming and him begging for his life at the end made it better IMO.

And how quickly Arya did it. Just a quick slice and he's done.

1) That dumb-assed mission to bring a wight to show Cersei. In the end it was just a dumb mechanism to give the Night King a zombie dragon.

It really kind of feels that way. If anything, I kinda wonder what the Night King's "Plan B" was to get past the wall. I'd almost feel better if he had somehow manipulated Jon into this but there's no way the Night King could know a dragon even exists unless he has some powers they're not showing.

3) The sped up timelines. I'm glad that they didn't linger on any weird traveling sideplots, but at the same time so much happened from episode to episode and apparently Euron has some kind of teleportation device for his entire fleet.

That's why he's so good. Though, strangely, Cersei's preganancy kind kills the fast travel a bit. They can't have Jaime making a trip that takes a few months and have him come back and Cersei not be showing a bit.
El Bastarde

Postby SirChompsAlot » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:55 pm

And how quickly Arya did it. Just a quick slice and he's done.

For as much meddling as he was involved in, and semi-significant screen time in past seasons, man, he went out quickly. Sentenced and executed within minutes.

It really kind of feels that way. If anything, I kinda wonder what the Night King's "Plan B" was to get past the wall. I'd almost feel better if he had somehow manipulated Jon into this but there's no way the Night King could know a dragon even exists unless he has some powers they're not showing.

The only justification I can think of is that he knew that dragons existed if he's been alive long enough, and knew that with the impending winter, that magical things would start re-appearing. Although, all of it is kind of a stretch, so I will continue to be upset with that plan and how it played out.

That's why he's so good. Though, strangely, Cersei's preganancy kind kills the fast travel a bit. They can't have Jaime making a trip that takes a few months and have him come back and Cersei not be showing a bit.

I wonder if they'll shoot themselves in the foot with that, but I doubt they'd make a continuity error that big. I'm curious if Cersei is actually pregnant, or was just trying her best to keep Jaime around, and manipulate Tyrion. She is batshit crazy, so it's not that big of a stretch.
SirChompsAlot

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:27 pm

Although, all of it is kind of a stretch, so I will continue to be upset with that plan and how it played out.

I'll be curious how George handles that part of it.

I'm curious if Cersei is actually pregnant, or was just trying her best to keep Jaime around, and manipulate Tyrion.

I'm pretty sure she's legit pregnant since it'd be easy to eventually call her bluff. And it's not like she mentioned it to Tyrion...he kind of just figured it out.

She is batshit crazy, so it's not that big of a stretch.

I'd disagree with that too. She's quite sane. She's just ruthless and selfish.
El Bastarde

Postby SirChompsAlot » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:05 pm

I'll be curious how George handles that part of it.

I wonder if they just wanted a zombie dragon on the show for the ZOMGedness of it. Maybe GRRM will have a different mechanism for bringing down the wall. I know Mance's Horn of Joramun was bogus, but maybe that's how The Others will bring down the wall in the books.

I'd disagree with that too. She's quite sane. She's just ruthless and selfish.

Oh, She's definitely ruthless and selfish. But I think she's also delusional, and borderline crazy. She blew up the Sept of Baelor without fully thinking through the consequences. Plus she was about to poison Tommen during the Battle of the Blackwater.
SirChompsAlot

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:30 pm

But I think she's also delusional, and borderline crazy. She blew up the Sept of Baelor without fully thinking through the consequences.

I think she's a little paranoid. But I think she knew exactly what she was doing with the Sept. Obviously she didn't think he kid would jump out a window but I don't blame someone for not considering something so wild to be a possibility. I mean, read up on the Mad King to see what it's like to have a REALLY nutty ruler.

Her maybe poisoning Tommen was her worrying that the approaching soldiers would likely rape/pillage/murder her and him and figured they'd try to go out painlessly. I didn't think that was too nuts either.
El Bastarde

Previous

Return to Non-Phish Discussion