What are you watching on TV?

Anything non-Phish related.

What are you watching on TV?

Postby ErrandWolfe » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:40 pm

Kinda shocked there was never a dedicated thread to what everyone is watching on TV...So here's the place to discuss anything on TV (other than Movies since we already have that thread).

I tend to watch tons of Sports, Sitcoms, Cartoons, Documentaries/Educational Programs and just now getting into some Reality TV (since it is taking over seemingly).

Really like this one on Discovery:

And really glad Alf is back in syndication on HUB channel:

Much more to follow...

So let's hear it OKP, whats good or was good on the tube :!:
Here's a place of elegance...
ErrandWolfe

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: What are you watching on TV?

Postby marley » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:04 pm

#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Postby ErrandWolfe » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:15 pm

^MMMMMM Jan 1st Bowl Games...

With the occasional episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia thrown in for laughs:

American Masters Series:LENNONYC
DVR'd this when it debuted on PBS and just got around to watching it today in between some Football. Such a powerful program, a very raw and intimate look at Lennon's life with Yoko and Sean in NYC...

Pardon the French Subtitles
ErrandWolfe

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:40 pm

Football. Some college basketball. More football.

That's about it. No shows I'm interested in right now except Game of Thrones and I don't have HBO so I have to download those anyway.
El Bastarde

Postby piper » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:34 am

Survivor
How I Met Your Mother
Always Sunny In Philadelphia
piper

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:30 am

jeopardy, price is right, hardcore pawn, NFL, drugs INC (the montana episode was the bomb! :roll: ), breaking bad when it comes back, alaska state troopers (although its kinda jumped the shark/ran out of ideas lately it seems), tosh.o, caught most of this season of sons of anarchy, doomsday preppers

just thinking about the shows I DVR on the reg. been on a seinfeld kick lately.
I LOOK TO THE STARS AND THE ANSWER IS CLEAR
I LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE WHAT I FEAR
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Buster » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:18 pm

Re-watching Curb Your Enthusiasm, season by season. I've beee doing it for a while since there hasn't been anything on TV that's too interesting. I'm up to season 6, and haven't seen the 8th season yet. Might have to pick that up at the bookstore today.

Also like to watch It's Always Sunny, but it seems like Comedy Central plays the same episodes over and over. Obviously will also watch Seinfeld if/when it's on. Gold Rush. Mythbusters. And recently American Hot Rod on the Destination America (?) channel.
Buster
The NorEaster

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:26 pm

I do like Always Sunny but can never remember when it's on. Plus, since I switched my cable, I don't know what channel comedy central is on.
El Bastarde

Postby piper » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:13 pm

^ It's on FX, thats why.......
piper

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:21 pm

^I know, but I was referring to the reruns. Of course, I don't know what channel FX is on either.
El Bastarde

Postby goldenroad » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:34 pm

Didn't think I'd like this show as much as I do. I think we burnt through the last 4 episodes in one day over the xmas break. Claire Danes is absolutely amazing. Great acting and some very nice topless ladies from time to time, so that helps.

Though, evidently, we might be done with this show. I can't take the way this show plays with my emotions anymore. It's too much. I won't spoil anything for Americans that haven't seen Season 3, but there are two HUGE moments between the last 4 episodes (including the xmas special ending :wtf: ) that have completely broken me. Serves me right for getting so invested in the characters, but they are so damn well written.

Not technically "on" right now...but this is really my new Seinfeld/Curb. That cutting edge comedy "sitcom" that may very well change television, if it hasn't yet. The last three episodes of Season 3 are required watching for any fans of comedy (or David Lynch!).

Also;

Breaking Bad, Workaholics, Game of Thrones (3 more months!!!), Extreme Homes and anything with Gordon Ramsay.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:00 pm

Man, I tried Louie but I guess I don't get it. There's a few clever moments and such where I can see why it gets attention in comedy circles but it must not be for me. Though, I've seen Louie's stand-up and wasn't that impressed with that either so it's likely just a Louie thing.
El Bastarde

Postby ErrandWolfe » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:45 am

goldenroad wrote:ImageThough, evidently, we might be done with this show. I can't take the way this show plays with my emotions anymore. It's too much. I won't spoil anything for Americans that haven't seen Season 3, but there are two HUGE moments between the last 4 episodes (including the xmas special ending :wtf: ) that have completely broken me. Serves me right for getting so invested in the characters, but they are so damn well written.

So quick funny story about this show as it relates to me...So i work in Market Research and we are hired by clients to place people in Focus Groups where they come to our facility and discuss products, goods and various services and get compensated for their opinions...So months ago we had a client that was interested in getting feedback from Americans that watch any ITV/BBC Programming (PBS, BBC America or Original BBC via DVD or streaming) specifically a pool of shows that included Downtown Abbey...So it was my job to contact some of our database members who responded to our email about this TV Focus Group (they have no idea what shows we were looking for) and my list of per-screening questions had pretty much all the Top Major American TV programs with these BBC Series mixed in randomly...So anytime I had a respondent tell me they watched a certain BBC show I would ask them some follow up questions to make sure they were not lying to get into the actual FG (people lie all the time, they just want to qualify so they get $$$).

So this woman I spoke with was one of the few during the 1st couple of days of recruiting that mention Downtown Abbey...So I hit her with the 1st follow-up question, here is how the convo went:

Me:So you mention that Downtown Abbey is a show you love and watch on a regular basis, can you tell me a little about the show and why you enjoy it so much?

Respondent: It's just the best, I mean me and my Boyfriend can't stop watching it, It's about this girl named Abbey who moves from a really small town to Manhattan and meets all of these crazy and quirky characters in her new apartment building thats in the middle of Downtown...They have this really funny doorman who constantly comes by and these totally crazy neighbors that are always causing trouble, it's just really funny and smart, I just cant wait for the next season to begin!!!!!
YOU SEE THAT SHE KINDA DESCRIBED THE JEFFERSON'S,RIGHT!!!???

The farthest from what the show is really about (British Period Drama chronicling the 2nd Decade of the 1900's)

Me: Wow, that sounds like a neat show (SARCASM) can you tell me when you 1st started watching it?

Respondent: Well it just came out a couple months ago, I remember seeing the pilot and just loving it, I told all my friends about it!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Needless to say, she did not make it into the Focus Group...

This is what I got lined up right now:
American Dad (The Ricky Spanish Episode!!!!!)

:lol:

And despite his being one of the dumbest, silliest shows on TV, I can't stop watching it!!!
ErrandWolfe

Postby Buster » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:53 pm

Since it's not on, forgot to mention Workaholics! Definitely one of the best stoner comedies, lol.

New season Jan 16!
Buster
The NorEaster

Postby Katiemay » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:09 pm

Homeland: Just finished season 2. It's an engaging show. I don't necessarily find it worthy of all the high acclaim, but I'm invested in what happens to the characters. I thought maybe I would be ready to discontinue watching at the end of the second season, but I want to see what happens next. Don't think I could imagine it being able to maintain quality if they stretch the series out too long though.

Last night I watched the first 2 episodes of the Oliver Stone history show on Showtime. I find that I often avoid history related stuff in general but then enjoy it when exposed. That is pretty much what happened here. The first 2 eps are basically broad, fact based, overviews of WW2. No matter how factual and unbiased it claims to be though, Stone definitely makes his opinions clear with the information he chooses to focus on and the choice of words he uses.

American Horror Story: Asylum: If you don't watch this show, I'll just sum it up by saying it is likely THE most deranged and twisted television show ever aired. It certainly pushes the limits of how much fuckupedness a person can tolerate. God, Satan, Nazis, aliens, serial killer, rape, torture, crimes against humanity, mental illness, false imprisonment, mutants and mutation...and that barely scratches the surface. Some tremendous acting too!

Completely agree with Devin about Louie. I find both the man and the show pretty darn hilarious and comedically brilliant.
Katiemay

Postby willbreathes » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:54 pm

FOOTBALL!
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby GratefulPhish » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:11 pm

started watching Louie this past week while I was under the weather and have knocked it out...I really enjoyed it, but somewhere during season 3 I realized I wasn't really watching it because it was funny anymore but more for the storyline- to see if Liz was going to come back, to see if what would happen with the Tonight Show thing, etc....kinda forgot I was supposed to be watching a comedy

on another note, can't fucking wait for Workaholics to start back up, think it's in like a week..?
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby goldenroad » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:05 pm

Yeah, Louie isn't "haha" funny, as much as it is "holy shit" funny. I don't find myself breaking down laughing every 2 minutes, but at the end I'm always just like "well, that was brilliant". Kind of like the Fuck Your Face show.

Also, started watching a show called Mr. D on Netflix. I don't know if you get it in the States. It's Canadian apparently, and has J-Roc from Trailer Park Boys and Mike Clattenberg, who created TPB, directs a couple episodes too. Kind of like the Office in a high school setting, which seems like it would suck, but actually kind of works.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:18 am

^I agree there's a number of very clever or interesting moments on the Louie show...but I guess it's more of an artform than something that entertains me. Oh well.
El Bastarde

Postby fone » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:24 pm

I'm seriously becoming incapable of watching commercial television anymore. They have begun reducing the amount of airtime of whatever show or movie you're watching in favor of more commercials, and that is driving me nuts. And have you noticed how many drug related commercials there are? Those and cell phones and cell phone services and promos for other shows on the current station play over and over again at a disconcerting frequency. Shame.

I'll watch just about anything on PBS or Turner Classic Movies that have no commercials interrupting the show rather than put up with the rest of it. I guess I'll have to upgrade my cable service to get HBO and Showtime so that I have more non-commercial choices.
Go down in your own way
And everyday is the right day
And as you rise above the fear lines in his frown
You look down
Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd
fone
The Sage

Postby hosemasterflex » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:39 pm

I hear ya! I stopped watching television altogether for exactly that reason. Plus all the shows got worse. I feel a little left out of conversations such as this thread, ... but then the TV is aaaaall the way upstairs, so. Yeah.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby the dooj » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:17 pm

Instead of upgrading and paying even more for HBO and Showtime, I would ditch the TV bill entirely in favor of an Apple TV or Google TV. A paid subscription to Netflix is $9.99. May not have all the latest blockbusters on demand, but there are endless hours of quality entertainment (including entire TV series) at your fingertips. If that wasn't enough, you could add a Hulu Plus account for $7.99 and still be paying less than half what you would for basic cable and 1/5 of what you would pay for some sort of premium HD cable package.

If you have an iPad (which I remember you saying Marie now has!), you can airplay anything from the iPad to the Apple TV..... meaning you can watch all of the ABC/NBC/CBS/PBS shows with way less commercials using their iPad apps or websites (still commercials-- usually the same one over and over-- but a whole lot less). Which is why I have not felt the need to pay for Hulu Plus.

The only reason I can see absolutely needing a cable subscription is if you are a huge sports fan and need access to all the live games.... but I think even that stuff is starting to be streamed online, right?

Anyways.... my two sense. I'm currently watching the old Alfred Hitchcock series-- season 1. On Netflix..... through my Apple TV. :thumbup:
"The good outnumber you, and we always will."
the dooj

Postby the dooj » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:35 pm

^So go Google. :thumbup:

http://www.google.com/tv/

Apple & Google are no more lame than our cable providers.
the dooj

Postby Katiemay » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:14 am

The people downstairs from me have a Roku. They love it. Maybe it's the same as Apple or Google TV?

http://www.roku.com/
Katiemay

Postby the dooj » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:25 am

^Indeed! I have heard good things about Roku, as well!
the dooj

Next

Return to Non-Phish Discussion