What are you watching on TV?

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: What are you watching on TV?

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:05 pm

A real-life version of video games with actual people as the 'players;' what's NOT to love about it?!

I always felt that "Wipeout" show was like a video game...some of those spinning pads and platforms are straight out of the Mario games I play. Not sure if I even have G4 so I haven't see those other shows.
El Bastarde

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby AsianGirl » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:12 pm

El Bastarde wrote:A real-life version of video games with actual people as the 'players;' what's NOT to love about it?!
I always felt that "Wipeout" show was like a video game...some of those spinning pads and platforms are straight out of the Mario games I play. Not sure if I even have G4 so I haven't see those other shows.

FYI, Mondays at 9pm American NW is on NBC
The same episode replays on G4 on Tuesday night (9pm?)

Wipeout is like a clown / joker's version of an obstacle course. Ninja Warrior / Sasuke is NOT like Wipeout. The one similarity is that sometimes, when you 'fail,' you end up in 'the drink.'

It's like comparing a Phish festival to any other music festival. Both are fests but only one is worth my time going to. But that's just my personal opinion.
*Everything from now on is all Gravy*
AsianGirl

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:21 pm

Ah, I had no idea. Maybe I'll try to check it out.
El Bastarde

Postby gamecat » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:19 pm

Anybody see Mr. Robot on USA Channel?

Very interesting show, ...and the kid who plays the lead, Rami Malek, is very good.
Christian Slater with a supporting role. Nice to see him still working.

Just started so it could go downhill fast, but the first 2 episodes were fun to watch.
Mostly about hacking computers and how F***** up society is.
:thumbup:
gamecat
The Shepherd

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:46 pm

Speaking of, I tried watching it. Was unwatchable. I have to watch ten minutes of life stories about these people, shots of them going on picnics with family, stupid interviews about how they have the drive to do it and other backstory crap. Then the actual event was a minute...then more interviews afterward, including with his family. Just way too much time with "reality show BS" and not enough time on the actual event. It's the number 1 issue with game shows these days...too much crap about the contestants that I don't care about.
El Bastarde

Postby AsianGirl » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:47 pm

El Bastarde wrote:FYI, Mondays at 9pm American NW is on NBC

Speaking of, I tried watching it. Was unwatchable. I have to watch ten minutes of life stories about these people, shots of them going on picnics with family, stupid interviews about how they have the drive to do it and other backstory crap. Then the actual event was a minute...then more interviews afterward, including with his family. Just way too much time with "reality show BS" and not enough time on the actual event. It's the number 1 issue with game shows these days...too much crap about the contestants that I don't care about.

Yea, I DVR that show so I can Fast Forward through all the BS that isn't the actual runs. I do that with most competition shows since there is generally a lot of fluff. The original, Japanese version of the show, Sasuke, tend to have less BS and show more of the runs.
AsianGirl

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:51 pm

^Yeah, if I have to fastforward through 3/4 of a show to enjoy it, it's not that good a show. Hence, why I kinda prefer Wipeout...very quick backstory and quick interview afterward and most of it being the announcers mocking the contestants....like it should be.
El Bastarde

Postby fone » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:00 pm

I have a passive-aggressive attitude toward TV.
Go down in your own way
And everyday is the right day
And as you rise above the fear lines in his frown
You look down
Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd
fone
The Sage

Postby AsianGirl » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:38 pm

Just started watching three shows:

HUMANs - Syfy (possibly BBC) series about androids in our society. Two episodes in and so far so good.
True Detective (S2) - not as good as S1, especially with the lack of flashbacks, which I really enjoyed for S1. Will give it a few more eps.
Wayward Pines - about 5-6 eps into the show. Pretty interesting so far in that Twin Peaks-Twilight Zone kinda feel.
AsianGirl

Postby booztravlr » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:04 pm

willbreathes wrote:I'm struggling to get through season three of House of Cards.

Doesn't seem like anything to accomplish.

Agreed. It took us a couple months to power through S3. Not impressed at all and the ending was weak. Without giving too much away I felt his wife was a real deterrent for Frank accomplishing anything as all she seemed to do was put up road blocks. This show peaked at the first episode of S2. We don't plan on watching if they put out a 4th season next year.

AsianGirl wrote:True Detective (S2) - not as good as S1, especially with the lack of flashbacks, which I really enjoyed for S1. Will give it a few more eps.

Last night (S2 E4) was absolutely crazy. Some of the most intense television I've watched in a very long time. When everyone was shitting all over Vince Vaughan and Colin Farrell being cast as the leads, I stuck behind the writers, casting director and producers knowing they wouldn't let their project slip after a very successful season 1. While Vince appears monotone at times when delivering his dialogue he has done a great job overall. Colin has been fantastic in his role as well. Another HBO goldmine!
the eleven | To weird to live, to rare to die.
booztravlr
Mr Boombastic

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:13 pm

fone wrote:I have a passive-aggressive attitude toward TV.

LOL. I think I just have a regular aggressive attitude toward TV.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Brother » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:11 pm

^ I get grouchy when the TV is on, mostly because of the commercials. I have an English degree. I can see exactly what the commercial is doing and why the director made the choices they did. My parents watch a lot of TV. My dad, mom, brother, and sister watch the Real Housewives - as a family!!! i feel my brain cells leaving my head when that show is on so I leave the room, and if I say anything about the show I'm just a hippie who doesn't want people to have nice things.

I do love Seinfeld reruns and I've seen every episode of Roseanne. So I'm guilty of something just not sure what.
Brother

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:16 pm

lol! I have a couple entire series on DVD, so me too man.

Commercials pissed me off so bad that I also no longer listen to the radio. I've been easing up on that rule lately, but it's mainly a good tool to remind me that my music library is the better choice.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:38 am

Good to see you Glenn. Often when it's radio, I listen to PBS / NPR here, same deal. It's all very adult and serious, but it's welcome when you get sick of the DJs, and the tiny spectrum of song choices they feed you between 7 minute commercials segments on the rock radio stations.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:41 pm

^ I get grouchy when the TV is on, mostly because of the commercials. I have an English degree. I can see exactly what the commercial is doing and why the director made the choices they did.

I do the same thing where I nitpick things in ads like the strange actors they chose or the music they have playing…half the time the actual message of the ad is lost on me because I’m busy focusing on other stuff. I find myself always annoyed when an ad has a cheap remake of a song rather than the original…it shouldn’t bug me since it’s simply cheaper that way and most folks don’t care…but the music snob in me gets angry.

Plus, because I took a single advertising class in college, I like to pretend I’m an expert on the subject…and it’s shocking how many ads fail to do the basic thing that I was taught in that class. Making sure folks remember the name, talking about the actual product, trying to entertain but not losing the message…so many ads get this wrong. Even for ads I enjoy, I’ll often sit back and realize I had no clue what the ad was for. And don’t get me started on Geico ads…it’s SO clear that they just pump out some crap ad every month because they have a quota to meet. They’re one of many companies I will never use simply because I’m sick of their ads.

Of course, I’m also a professional channel flipper so I’m usually zipping to other channels during most commercials anyway.

Commercials pissed me off so bad that I also no longer listen to the radio.

I generally listen to radio for sports talk which is what I usually listen to at work…it’s good “background noise” where I don’t have to completely focus on it. I don’t much listen to radio for music since it all feels overplayed to me…If I need music, I’ll put in a CD or jump on youtube and play something that way.
El Bastarde

Postby gamecat » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:08 pm

gamecat
The Shepherd

Postby goldenroad » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:35 pm

Cut the cable a few months back, so basically PanAm games on CBC is all I can watch, but fortunately I'm enjoying it.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:21 pm

"Kids" television really only happened between 3:30 pm- 5:00 pm weekdays, and about 8:30am to 11:30am on Saturday morning.

That’s basically how it worked in the US too when I was a kid. Get home from school and watch cartoons at 3pm and then all the good ones on Saturday morning…then at around noon, I’d get the WWF after the cartoons were over. Everything a kid needs.

Cut the cable a few months back, so basically PanAm games on CBC is all I can watch

There’s always the Murdoch Mysteries reruns at 7pm. I kinda like that show.
El Bastarde

Postby fone » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:47 pm

Love watching the BBC dramas in delay on PBS here. Last Tango in Halifax just started back up again a few weeks ago and quite honestly, I'll watch anything Derek Jacobi is in.

Outside of that, summer TV is really the pits. We use it as a sleeping pill.
Go down in your own way
And everyday is the right day
And as you rise above the fear lines in his frown
You look down
Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd
fone
The Sage

Postby AsianGirl » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:56 pm

Well I'm a big fan of Dance (and music, but y'all know that already) so have been watching the latest season of So You Think You Can Dance, a competition show for aspiring dancers.
No it's not like Dance Mom.

And for this season, the theme is Stage vs Street and there are two teams. The Stage Team is comprised of (basically) dancers who train the traditional dances (e.g. ballroom, tap, ballet, contemporary) and the Street Team has mostly self-taught dancers who do stuff like hip hop, popping, breaking, krumping, etc.

The Street dancers are super-entertaining. Especially wen they do their solos.
AsianGirl

Postby marley » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:55 pm

I'm sort of addicted to That Metal Show on VH1 Classic. Some of the time they have quests from groups I don't care for but then they'll Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony, Joe Satriani, or Ace Freheley. Good stuff. They always have a Top 5 segment too, and it's like top 5 live albums, top 5 guitar solos, etc.. but these guys go nuts for Iron Maiden. I wish I liked a group as much as those guys like Maiden... ;)
#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:19 pm

so have been watching the latest season of So You Think You Can Dance, a competition show for aspiring dancers.

Every time I’m flipping around and catch the dance team competitions, the same thought always pops into my head: They’re never actually dancing TO the music. They play music and they appear to be dancing but the routine never feels like it matches the music. It’s always too many steps or out of synch. I don’t know why this bothers me but it does…they might as well not even play music and the routines would go the same.

but these guys go nuts for Iron Maiden.

I like ‘em already. Though it’s been a long time since I even found VH1 on my dial…I don’t even know where it is anymore.
El Bastarde

Postby AsianGirl » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:25 pm

El Bastarde wrote: so have been watching the latest season of So You Think You Can Dance, a competition show for aspiring dancers.

Every time I’m flipping around and catch the dance team competitions, the same thought always pops into my head: They’re never actually dancing TO the music. They play music and they appear to be dancing but the routine never feels like it matches the music. It’s always too many steps or out of synch. I don’t know why this bothers me but it does…they might as well not even play music and the routines would go the same.

So You Think You Can Dance is an individual competition. They divided the competitors into the two teams but eliminate a dancer from each team weekly. Some of the interpretative Contemporary dances may not dance to the beat, but all the other dances does, especially anything from Street. It would be pretty weird for someone to Krump not in sync with the music.
AsianGirl

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:22 pm

So You Think You Can Dance is an individual competition.

I know, but they still don't seem to dance to the music. I'd agree that the street stuff sticks closer to it than the traditional dances, though.
El Bastarde

Postby Katiemay » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:14 pm

booztravlr wrote:
AsianGirl wrote:True Detective (S2) - not as good as S1, especially with the lack of flashbacks, which I really enjoyed for S1. Will give it a few more eps.

Last night (S2 E4) was absolutely crazy. Some of the most intense television I've watched in a very long time. When everyone was shitting all over Vince Vaughan and Colin Farrell being cast as the leads, I stuck behind the writers, casting director and producers knowing they wouldn't let their project slip after a very successful season 1. While Vince appears monotone at times when delivering his dialogue he has done a great job overall. Colin has been fantastic in his role as well. Another HBO goldmine!

I have to disagree. I have watched through ep 4 now and even with the intensity and excitement of the end of 4, this season is very lame, IMO. It's got all the intense seriousness and dramatics of the first season without the writing or acting, which is what made the first season great. I like Farrell. I think he's doing a fine job. Vaughn is terrible at serious acting. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, but he's not doing a good job. I think the character was done a disservice because they wanted to cast a big name and Vince was looking to "branch out" as an actor. The storyline is convoluted and the characters are underdeveloped or just lackluster.
Katiemay

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion