Better Call Saul (Breaking Bad PreQuel)

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Better Call Saul (Breaking Bad PreQuel)

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:28 pm

New Saul on Monday!!

About time...It feels like Season 1 was like five years ago. I don't even remember what channel AMC is on. It IS on AMC, right?
El Bastarde

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Katiemay » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:51 pm

Tonight! Woo! I'm still in the midst of Breaking Bad. About a third of the way through the final season. I considered holding off on starting BCS until finishing BB, but I can't resist.

Yes, AMC
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:44 pm

Yes, AMC

I panicked since AT&T apparently moved AMC on my cable dial...I thought I lost it for a while but found it. Whew.

I considered holding off on starting BCS until finishing BB, but I can't resist.

I'm curious on whether Saul spoils anything or not but I'd think you'd want to finish BB.

Either way, Saul was pretty good last night...we got another "flash forward" scene after BB so I have a feeling something will come of those by the end.

I don't know why but I love the scenes of Saul scamming someone...that was pretty fun. They also spent a lil too much time on the pill-selling guy but I'm guessing they're setting him up as Saul's next client...and he'll maybe had a chance to fleece this guy...and won't give it back like he did with the crazy embezzling family from last season?

Though he seems to be going to this new lawfirm just to impress the girl since that's the life she lives. Seems like a bad idea.
El Bastarde

Postby Katiemay » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:00 pm

There will have to be a coming together of the 2 series. I can't wait.

Also can't wait to find out what the switch did!
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:30 pm

Also can't wait to find out what the switch did!

That's kind of a neat thing since I think we've all seen a lightswitch and have no idea what it did when we flipped it. I love how he had to turn it off, then couldn't figure out what it did, so he flipped it back on just in case.

I'm not sure if it will have a purpose or if it's just there to represent that Saul's "still a rebel" since he flipped a switch when it told him not to.
El Bastarde

Postby AsianGirl » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:03 pm

El Bastarde wrote:I'm not sure if it will have a purpose or if it's just there to represent that Saul's "still a rebel" since he flipped a switch when it told him not to.

When I watched the scene, it appears to indicate that when Saul was jimmy, his nature and personality gravitated towards wanting to Turn OFF that switch, despite the note saying to NEVER turn it off.

Flash Forward to Omaha, and new Saul did not DARE to use that Emergency Exit. He wanted to, but he still waited for over 2hrs until the janitor came in. New Saul is trying to keep a low profile, and he did not want to bring any extra attention to himself than necessary.

Does this mean new Saul is reformed?? Almost, since he still left his "SG was here" on the wall.

Speaking of bringing extra attention, "Pill Guy" seems like an earlier version of Walt, except dumber. Even after Mike advised him to NOT take the Hummer, dude does it anyways and now has drawn extra attention to himself. Perhaps Saul/Jimmy becomes Pill Guy's lawyer, m'haps not. The Pill Guy, at least for now, represents 'previous experience' that both Nacho and Mike will have had, by the time Walt steps into the picture.

Maybe new Saul remembered what happened to Pill Guy, who was stupid enough to do certain things which then eventually led to Pill Guy's demise, and new Saul didn't dare to open the Emergency Exit b/c of Pill Guy's example. Time will tell.

I did enjoy how the opening scene of S02E01 was almost the same as S01E01, which was the B/W bit of Cinnabons being made. They both also led to a mini-scene of new Saul being 'almost' reformed, but not completely.
*Everything from now on is all Gravy*
AsianGirl

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:36 pm

Flash Forward to Omaha, and new Saul did not DARE to use that Emergency Exit.

Well, it's also because "new Saul" is definitely wanted by the cops for his actions in Breaking Bad while he's not quite under suspicion in Better Call Saul quite yet. "New Saul" is in a lot more shit than Jimmy so he can't take the same risks.

Does this mean new Saul is reformed??

"Scared straight" would be a better word for it. He can't bring a lick of attention to himself. I don't think this Saul is really "reformed"...he just fucked up so much that he's terrified of any cop attention. His grifting ways finally caught up to him.

Speaking of bringing extra attention, "Pill Guy" seems like an earlier version of Walt, except dumber.

I kind of agree...a recurring theme in Breaking Bad is pride being the downfall of basically everyone. A TON of bad things happen in that show because someone's pride resulted in them acting reckless...heck, Walt's stupid pride is what causes him to not take the money and get into the meth business in the first place.

And you're seeing the same thing there...Pill Guy's pride led to him thinking he doesn't need anyone else so he canned Mike. It's also his arrogance that makes him think he can invite cops over, ask them to find his baseball cards and expect them to ignore all the other suspicious things simply because he tells them to. Personally I think Pill Guy is going to be the first guy Saul REALLY screws over...like leaving him in jail or dead while Saul runs off with much of his cash...he'll be the first real example where Saul realizes he can use his lawyering ways to grift people even more than just fleecing guys in bars.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:50 pm

Never did get to comment on the last Saul. Pretty good episode setting up a lot of stuff.

Really liked the intro with Chuck practicing on the piano and then being unable to focus once he got news of Jimmy. Also, I wonder if Jimmy's boss playing the guitar was supposed to be a parallel to his brother in some way. Either way, Chuck's clearly got some major moral hangup about being a lawyer where he just can't handle the idea of a former criminal like his bro being a lawyer...I can see him starting to work on screwing over Saul...heck, maybe it's Chuck who will find out about Jimmy faking evidence. Or, worse, I can see him taking things out on Kim since Hamlin mentioned her helping Jimmy get the job.

Of course, it seems like Jimmy sees doing shady stuff as a way to get back at his bro, especially with how he glared at him as he accepted Mike's job.

And the Pill Guy's issues seemed to be resolved but I have a feeling that won't be the last we see of him. He's such an idiot that I can see him screwing up again...I have a feeling he's going to end up dead in an alley before this is over. He'll likely get suspected again and may even blurt out about the fake video to a cop...so he can do something that could potentially jeopardize Jimmy, Mike AND Nacho and any of those dudes would probably rather bury him than let it get out.
El Bastarde

Postby AsianGirl » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:36 pm

The storyline with Pill Guy is certainly developing in a more interesting direction than I had anticipated.

Unfortunately, it has begun to drive a wedge between Kim and Jimmy, despite the positive influence and reinforcement from Kim to Jimmy-Saul. I agree that Pill Guy's may still eventually somehow get Jimmy into trouble, and perhaps lead to the departure from the cushy, awesome Santa Fe job with Ed Begley Jr.

I liked the scene between Nacho and Mike. Two professionals at work there. Esp. during the final envelope exchange when Mike said 'and the other thing.' So Pro.

Also, let's give it up for Hamlin! His character development between S01E09 and now is just terrific. He was man enough to tell Chuck about Jimmy's new job in Sante Fe ("I just didn't ... you know .. stand in the way") and I appreciated that he helped to hook Jimmy up. Can't wait for more on him as things develop.

Also, Chuck sux. Get over yourself.
AsianGirl

Postby Katiemay » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:24 pm

I'm just happy that cobbler squatting has been introduced to the mainstream
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:22 pm

I liked the scene between Nacho and Mike. Two professionals at work there.

Yeah, I love any scene which has Mike doing his thing. Reminds me of the first time we saw him in BB when Jesse's girlfriend had just died and Mike shows up and just takes command of the situation and cleans up the scene. Great stuff.

He was man enough to tell Chuck about Jimmy's new job in Sante Fe ("I just didn't ... you know .. stand in the way") and I appreciated that he helped to hook Jimmy up.

I keep wondering if Chuck's going to do something rash to hurt Jimmy and Hamlin's going to put his foot down. Especially if Chuck goes after Kim to get to Jimmy.

I'm just happy that cobbler squatting has been introduced to the mainstream

That was just too weird.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:43 pm

Loved the Saul last night and it looks like it's starting to set up some big stuff.

For one, I can't be the only guy thinking that it was Gus meeting Mike at the end. Of course it wouldn't have made sense had Gus asked for Mike by name but I was hoping. Will be curious to see Mike go down that path. And I wonder if Nacho will be asking for Tuco's death so he can take over. Or maybe Nacho's nervous about the Pill Guy...

As for his daughter-in-law, is it me or does she seem like she's manipulating Mike? I mean Mike didn't seem to hear anything yet she insisted on hearing the three shots. At the same time, she doesn't look like she's manipulating him and I think Mike was sleeping over their later in the show when he got the call. So maybe it's just my wild imagination.

The commercials thing was pretty humorous though it was obvious a mistake to not run it by his boss...clearly Jimmy was afraid he'd say no. It makes it look like the shit will hit the fan but I'll bet Jimmy will talk his way out of that little pickle. But he's on thin ice.
El Bastarde

Postby AsianGirl » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:05 pm

I figured it was Nacho who wanted Mike as they worked well together in the previous episode. Gustavo hasn't turned up yet in the series but I am expecting him to show up at some point. My guess is that Nacho wants Mike to take care of Pill Guy but we will see.

I think Mike's daughter-in-law just wants out of that neighborhood, consciously and subconsciously. She believes that there are people shooting off guns around her house at night, but we know it was either imagined or the newspaper delivery. Mike did not 'expose' her story by telling her he slept outside in the car, I think cause he saw how much she was disturbed by the situation, and realizes that she probably just wants to move. I thought it was weird how she refused to have him sleep over only to call him back in the morning.

Slippin' Jimmy's at it again. With Chuck 'bearing witness' to Jimmy's transgressions with this Sandpiper case, it appears that Jimmy's penchant for self-destruction came through once again.

Would Cliff have said 'No' to running the commercial? Probably not. Why didn't Jimmy just show the tape to Cliff? He knew on some level that by NOT running it by Cliff that it wasn't going to end well. I think Jimmy gets fired for this and loses the cushy Santa Fe job. Probably loses Kim in the process as she was very clear about putting herself on the line for Jimmy.

How awesome was that commercial though? Ahead of its time for sure (LOL)
AsianGirl

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:17 pm

Gustavo hasn't turned up yet in the series but I am expecting him to show up at some point.

Yeah, that was my imagination running wild. Mike's still a small-time grunt so there was no reason why Gus would notice him yet. The funny thing is I'm way more intrigued in Gus showing up in this show than Walt and Jesse...neither Walt/Jesse are really going to be doing much at this point in the history...but Gus will be.

I think Mike's daughter-in-law just wants out of that neighborhood, consciously and subconsciously. She believes that there are people shooting off guns around her house at night, but we know it was either imagined or the newspaper delivery.

Yeah, that's kind of the point. She's clearly just scared and it's likely her brain hearing things and maybe her reacting to that dent in the side of her house. But whether it's real or not, it's real to her so I think that's why Mike didn't argue it. The problem is that Mike was hoping it WAS someone shooting since he could take out whoever was shooting and "solve the problem" that way. Mike can't solve this issue by staking it out so it's back to him earning money.

In the end, it's likely that raising money for her is Mike's motivation until his last days...he's shown still visiting and playing with his granddaughter in Breaking Bad so he's still clearly caring for them all those years later.

Would Cliff have said 'No' to running the commercial? Probably not.

He might have. It's a bit of a manipulative commercial and given that we saw how "vanilla" the previous commercial was for the firm, it's clear Cliff may be more conservative about ads. At the least, I'd think he would have made Jimmy change the ad.

Why didn't Jimmy just show the tape to Cliff? He knew on some level that by NOT running it by Cliff that it wasn't going to end well.

Seems simple to me...because there was a chance Cliff would say no. Jimmy's so desperate to show to Chuck and Kim that he CAN recruit a lot of people to the case AND do it legally that he didn't want something getting in the way of this plan that he knew would work.

I think Jimmy gets fired for this and loses the cushy Santa Fe job.

I think he'll get through this little issue but the seeds of mistrust have been planted. Cliff was clearly wary about hiring Jimmy and now this is just putting more doubts in his head. It'll put Jimmy on thin ice and then one more mistake will be it for him. And that will strain things with him and Kim. So, after losing the job AND the girl, that could be the last straw. The worst part about this job is he's not doing any of it because HE wants to do it...it's all so he can impress Kim and to show up Chuck...so he's working there for all the wrong reasons.

How awesome was that commercial though?

"I'm ready for my close up, Mr. McGill"

Also, it didn't really dawn on me until I read something but Ed Begley Jr and Mike McKean are both former members of Spinal Tap (Begley was the first drummer who died in a gardening accident). I wonder if this was in mind when they showed Chuck playing piano and Cliff on guitar. Got even better when both were sitting next to each other in the board meeting last night.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:14 pm

Well, at least I was right on the hit being put on Tuco. And always nice to see Tuco show up...he's the best. I loved when Mike smack-talked him at the end and Tuco couldn't resist smiling and nailing him one more time. Classic Tuco.

Maybe the first "really good" episode this season...the Mike stuff was fascinating though you could tell that Mike would just be getting in some sort of brawl with Tuco when you saw his face at the start. The Jimmy/Chuck confrontation was excellent and it really kind of swung things back in Chuck's direction...it's hard to argue against anything Chuck said there and it does seem like Chuck really had little to do with Kim's demotion. Funny how this show really toys with your emotions by taking seeingly villanous characters and switching them back and forth. Chuck's got a good point on Jimmy's conduct with the commercial and he resisted Jimmy baiting him into cutting a deal. Who knows where Jimmy goes from here but I have a feeling he'll do something rash that he shouldn't.

Also I like the show once again teasing of a character "Breaking Bad" and not going through. They teased it with Jimmy at the end of Season 1 and then teased it with Mike where he's looking at sniper rifles before not buying one. Even though this isn't Breaking Bad, it's really about both Mike and Jimmy eventually falling to the dark side while resisting it, much like Walt.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:16 pm

Got caught up on the two Saul episodes I missed...thought both were pretty good and it's nice to see things moving forward after treading water for a while. Glad to see Saul's finally done with Davis and Main...the show was kinda running in place with him there but I get that it was part of Saul understanding what he really wants. The montage of Jimmy sabotaging the job was pretty funny...reminded me of George Costanza doing the same thing on Seinfeld. The exchange with Cliff was pretty humorous as well.

Also nice to see see Jimmy and Kim actually not BSing each other anymore...Jimmy finally made it clear he wants to stick to his shady ways and Kim made it clear that her career can't be attached to that. But the "single practitioners in the same building" thing doesn't seem like a good idea.

Also, I'm guessing Mike's showing up at the cartel to ask for work. Ole Hector (nice to see him around) may be impressed enough to hire him. (Could get ugly if Tuco gets out early, though).
El Bastarde

Postby Katiemay » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:29 pm

Love this show. Agree on the montage of him sabotaging the job. And the scene with the grifter in his dad's shop. It's cool seeing Saul slowly being born out of Jimmy's life experiences.

Despite knowing that Kim and this 'separate but equal' law practice partnership don't pan out, I want it to work for them. They seem to strike a nice balance in each other.
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:43 pm

Despite knowing that Kim and this 'separate but equal' law practice partnership don't pan out, I want it to work for them. They seem to strike a nice balance in each other.

Agreed. Last episode was the first one where the two seemed to level with each other and accept what the other is. She's definitely a great foil for him but if Jimmy goes too far with the shadiness, she could be out. I just hope he doesn't take her down with him.

(Didn't see last night's episode...may not until Wednesday. National Title game got in the way last night and Iron Maiden is tonight. We'll get to it).
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:06 pm

Holy crap. What an episode. Not only was the last scene incredible but the show was loaded with good scenes...the uncomfortable hearing at the start where Chuck is upended, the equally awkward scene where Chuck accused Jimmy to Kim (and her clearly believing him), the Mike/Nacho showdown...all these scenes were well done and somehow made me feel kind of unsettled.

The show started with both characters seeing their plan come through perfectly...and by the end both were seeing some ugly ramifications of their actions. Mike's eventually going to see that his anti-killing stance is just getting him (and others) in more trouble...for Jimmy, who knows where this goes.

Also, it looks like Kim is kind of just embracing the dark side here...it looks like she believes Jimmy did it (hence her punching him in the arm in the car) but she's just going to roll with it...her hinting that Jimmy needs to cover his ass kind of felt like Skylar eventually cleaning up the sloppiness of Walt's operation once she accepts what he is. In both cases, it may result in their downfall. In Kim's case, Jimmy is all she has left. Jimmy may have ruined his brother (or worse) and may eventually ruin Kim. It's taken a while, but the show just got wild.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:17 pm

I didn't know last night would be the season finale until right before I watched it. Crazy. Had to watch the Dallas/OKC game finish up before I tuned it but this meant I had it commercial-free which was nice.

So, wow, Chuck got him. He put on his own con and used his condition as a tool and it worked. I'd say it's a horrible thing to do but we've already seen Chuck do some bad stuff like keeping Jimmy from being hired at HHM...and it's not like Jimmy didn't earn it this time. In the end, Chuck still clearly just wants to clear his name since last week made him look pretty senile and crazy in public. His prowess in law is all he's had going for him so he can't lose it.

So, does Chuck just turn the tape into the authorities?...Or does he hold it over Jimmy (and Kim's) heads to maybe get something from them? Sadly, Kim is affected by it again since just her connection to Jimmy and her benefiting from his fraud would implicate her...at the least it'd make Mesa Verde leave her and maybe soil her and Jimmy's reputation which would kill their little solo venture. That's a lot of leverage that Chuck can have over them. This may lead to Jimmy having to change his name...maybe him not using the name is part of a deal Chuck makes him agree to.

Mike's part was a little more understated but pretty fascinating. My first thought was that it was Nacho warning Mike to stay back...but was it someone else and Nacho just happened to stand in the way? I would assume that Nacho knows what Mike can do based on the heist but he can't just turn Mike in either...this may come down to Nacho trying to take Mike out due to all the trouble.

Slow season but it really picked up in these last four episodes or so. Digging it.
El Bastarde

Postby Katiemay » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:00 pm

What an excellent series this is. It has a rich depth like good coffee. And like 2 great series in one. You get the complex character and relationship study with the Jimmy side and the crime suspense action side with Mike. And so well executed on every single level.

They had a Talking Saul on after the finale with Gilligan, Gould, and Jonathan Banks. They discussed who left the note for Mike and apparently the most popular theory is Gus. Fans of the show took the first initial of the name of each episode this season and realized it was an anagram for "Fring's back." Sounds far fetched but the 2 creators confirmed that it was indeed intentional. They hide lots of little things within the episodes. Like, the realtor who was working with Mike's daughter in law was the same one who caught Marie stealing on BB, among many others. I like stuff like that. Adds even more payoff (even if i dont notice most of it). On a side note, seeing Jonathan Banks out of character was very strange for me. I could've never imagined him as anyone besides Mike Erhmantraut.

We can only assume that the recording of Jimmy's confession will lead directly to the change to Saul. I think you're right Stevo, in that it will be Chuck's idea. He despises Jimmy and wants to take him down, but more so, erase the entire identity of the man who, despite Chuck's best efforts, eclipsed him in the hearts of their parents.
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:46 pm

What an excellent series this is. It has a rich depth like good coffee. And like 2 great series in one. You get the complex character and relationship study with the Jimmy side

Agreed...lots of stuff for the psychologists to eat up there. The relationship between Jimmy and Chuck is pretty wild...they're to the point of all-out war but they're still brothers and still don't want the other hurt. It's pretty interesting. We'll see if this changes with the recording now.

They discussed who left the note for Mike and apparently the most popular theory is Gus.

Strange. I wonder why Gus would care. If I recall, he's at odds the Saltamacha family...I'd think he'd be fine with Hector getting shot. I think it's more reasonable that Nacho figured him out. He knows that Mike is good at tailing them and may have spotted him...him standing in the way makes sense too.

But if the creators imply Gus, I'm not sure what to say. In the end, it may be Gus noticing how good Mike is at his job and wanting to recruit him...and him getting Hector's family on his back would get in the way.

They hide lots of little things within the episodes. Like, the realtor who was working with Mike's daughter in law was the same one who caught Marie stealing on BB,

I noticed the Zoo Station movie that Jimmy and Kim were watching is the name of one of Saul's dummy money-laundering companies in BB.

but more so, erase the entire identity of the man who, despite Chuck's best efforts, eclipsed him in the hearts of their parents.

Yeah, I think he hates that he's the more accomplished and intelligent brother but everyone still loves Jimmy more.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:15 pm

Just saw a few ads for this one. Starts on April 10th. With Game of Thrones pushed back, I need Saul more than ever.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:00 pm

Glad to have Saul back. Was a slow-burning episode but some of the scenes are done so well. Love how Mike's actor had like 20 minutes of screen time and barely any dialogue. My theory is Chuck is going to run an ad or some smear campaign against Jimmy using the tape. And Ernie's going to spill it to Jimmy and he'll hire Mike to steal it. Could get wild.
El Bastarde

Postby GratefulPhish » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:44 pm

nice theory, but I think it'd be a stretch to have Chuck dealing with that kind of thing given his "condition".

Mike's stuff was badass, the rest of that episode was pretty much shit. Didn't move Saul's plot along at all. I was really disappointed.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion