Better Call Saul (Breaking Bad PreQuel)

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Better Call Saul (Breaking Bad PreQuel)

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:22 pm

^Yeah, the Saul part is just a slow build at this point but it seems that every season has started slow they went into hyperdrive for the last half. As for Chuck, I'd imagine he could hire someone to handle a smear ad or something but, otherwise, I can't think of what else he'll do.
El Bastarde

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Katiemay » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:25 pm

I don't know about the public smear campaign. He's definitely trying to bring him down professionaly, but I don't think it will be something so overt. I agree that he's using Ernesto to tell Jimmy, leading to jimmy doing something stupid. He's setting him up to be his own downfall.

The stuff with Mike was brilliant. Made me feel a giddy satisfaction to watch it all come together. I want it to lead to Fring. Seems like Gus would appreciate the restrained genius it took to find him, making him want to hire Mike on. But I know better than to expect something so obvious. And I'm sure I'll be much more satisfied with what the writers have in store.
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:08 pm

I agree that he's using Ernesto to tell Jimmy, leading to jimmy doing something stupid. He's setting him up to be his own downfall.

You nailed it. Chuck had it hook, line and sinker. The last scene was actually a lil humorous in how we got to see Hamlin awkwardly climbing over fences and then saw them agree to not have a PI during the day right before Jimmy starts pounding the door. Part of me wonders is if this is maybe what leads to his name-change...the Jimmy McGill name is too tainted to use anymore.

Another series of scenes with Mike where he doesn't say much at all and still killed it. And yes, it looks like Mike could maybe get a job offer soon but probably not TOO soon. Mike's still in this non-killing mode and it may take something to "bring him to the dark side" like in BB. Loved the "dark Gus" look at the end of the restaurant scene.
El Bastarde

Postby Katiemay » Mon May 08, 2017 9:48 pm

I'm glad this thread hasn't moved since episode one. I don't want to be tempted to read it. I have only seen 1 & 2 and I'm dying to watch the rest. Hoping soon to open up some more ways to see the episodes.

Gus!!!
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Tue May 09, 2017 2:16 pm

Hoping soon to open up some more ways to see the episodes.

There's always torrents.

And, wow, the last two episodes have been fantastic. Last night was a doozy. Show's really picked up.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Thu May 11, 2017 7:33 pm

Yes, Chuck McGill erupting was amazing!
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Fri May 12, 2017 4:46 pm

^Was a long time coming there, especially with him being in denial about his mental illness. Loved how Jimmy did the trick with the battery which wasn't the first time we've they'd "tricked" Chuck with electric devices. These episodes are so well done.
El Bastarde

Postby Katiemay » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:13 pm

^ & ^^

This was the last episode I watched and, wow, I was blown away. Chuck just unraveled in front of everyone. Michael McKean's acting in that scene was outstanding. What a culmination of tension and animosity that's been building since the series began, and over the course of a lifetime for the two brothers. I loved seeing it all play out. In the words of the wise John "Hannibal" Smith, "I love it when a plan comes together."

This show...I don't know, maybe I just get too wrapped up in whatever I'm currently watching, but this show has to be one of the most pleasurable series I have ever viewed. The craftsmanship of the storytelling/writing is top notch. The stories, the overarching stories and the individual episodes, unfold perfectly before your eyes. The characters and their relationships, especially Jimmy and Chuck, are so complex they could do masters level lit courses on the subject. Is this show getting the praise it deserves with the viewing public at large?
Katiemay

Postby willbreathes » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:44 pm

It could have easily been a flop or a gimmick... but they are really carrying the BB quality forward.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:18 pm

It could have easily been a flop or a gimmick... but they are really carrying the BB quality forward.

I figured that as long as they gave us something similar, it'd be okay. Plus Saul, Mike, Chuck and Kim are all fascinating characters...they've done a great job with keeping them fresh.

This show...I don't know, maybe I just get too wrapped up in whatever I'm currently watching, but this show has to be one of the most pleasurable series I have ever viewed. The craftsmanship of the storytelling/writing is top notch.

I'm just amazed at how clever the schemes are that the writers come up with it. And the dialogue and the way things are filmed always works for me.

Is this show getting the praise it deserves with the viewing public at large?

It still gets attention but doesn't seem to have any award buzz. Probably folks figuring they've "been there, done that" already.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:04 pm

I guess someone peeked at the check Kim wrote and saw the date was March 4, 2003. Guess that gives us a nice timeline.

Good episode but still felt like more setup and aftermath. Jimmy's clearly back to his grifting ways and I keep wondering when it'll come back to get him. I kind of assumed he wasn't that hurt but given he was laying on it in the office I wasn't sure...unless he's just selling the illusion of it so he's not called out.

Looks like Mike and Gus are officially partners and I guess it was some closure for Mike to find the dude that Hector's gang killed.

The Nacho scene with planting the pills was SO well done and tense...I kind of figured he would succeed with planting the pills but I had butterflies in that scene either way. Also loved Kim and Howard nipping at each other.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:36 pm

I could be forgetting, but I don't believe nacho is in Breaking Bad. My guess, the pills cripple the Don, and Nacho gets got.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:39 pm

willbreathes wrote:I could be forgetting, but I don't believe nacho is in Breaking Bad. My guess, the pills cripple the Don, and Nacho gets got.

The cook saw it all!!
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:20 pm

I could be forgetting, but I don't believe nacho is in Breaking Bad. My guess, the pills cripple the Don, and Nacho gets got.

Yeah, one of the first things I did when I saw Nacho was jump on the Breaking Bad wiki to see if he was on the first show. He wasn't. Sadly, this is one of the smaller annoyances with prequels. Most of the characters you see who aren't in the original show likely die. I can definitely see Nacho getting in some trouble going forward. Heck, maybe him and Mike will have some eventual clash, especially since they're technically on different sides.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:36 am

I just watched the crash ending of the most recent episode three times. Holy shit.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:14 pm

I just watched the crash ending of the most recent episode three times. Holy shit.

I loved how they did that where she's just sitting there then her face is in the airbag. You kinda knew something would happen but didn't think it'd be that abrupt.

I'll admit it was a little uncomfortable to see Jimmy manipulating that old lady but I'd imagine it was supposed to be. Jimmy himself seems to feel a little guilty for a second but powers through it. He also seemed to be celebrating a bit prematurely which tells me that it may not go so smooth for him.

Lots of good Howard content this episode. He often teeters on being sympathetic while also coming off as a weasel. It's an interesting character.

With Nacho's pills, I have a feeling that it'll take a few weeks for it to have a real effect. And his Dad could find himself fucked over before that happens. I wonder if Nacho will try to get desperate here.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:25 pm

Wow, pretty chilling episode there, especially the scene in the middle where you're watching Chuck just start to unravel and clearly go mad. I have a feeling it was just a feeling of anxiety from maybe himself pushing away both Hamlin and Jimmy who were the only folks who still cared about him.

Humorous as the issue of Hector was taken care of for Nacho, with the pills rolling right to his feet...I also liked how nobody moves after he collapses until Gus springs into action...ironically saving the guy who would eventually do him in.

Though, it dawned on me that they took out both of the major antagonists in the same show in Chuck and Hector. Was also both the end of their dentist office venture and likely the end of Jimmy working with elder law. Hard to say where they go from here.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:27 am

The unraveling scene was freaking amazing. Really, really Breaking Bad -esque.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby GratefulPhish » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:05 pm

Personally thought Chuck's unraveling scene was anti climatic. Definitely reminded me of BB, but where BB a scene like that would lead to an epiphany for Walt it lead to basically nothing (in that scene at least) for Chuck. Made me miss the way BB would use epic music to build suspense and actually lead to something cool, instead of just Chuck bashing the meter. The last scene was cool though.

^^ Not sure what you mean by "take out Hector", obviously he's not going anywhere and we don't really know how long it takes for his condition to reach the point that it is in BB. I've been wondering what's gonna happen to Chuck's payout now that he's dead, I'm guessing that it'll go to his ex, but twist and turns are the name of the game for this show. Wonder if Tuco will come back in the next season.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:09 pm

Personally thought Chuck's unraveling scene was anti climatic. Definitely reminded me of BB, but where BB a scene like that would lead to an epiphany for Walt it lead to basically nothing (in that scene at least) for Chuck.

I do get that part of it but, the point of it kind of was that it's supposed to lead to nothing. The entire time you see Chuck doing this, you know it's all in his head and he's not going to find anything. That's what is so unsettling...The other scenes in BB like that had a great purpose...this one was just madness.

^^ Not sure what you mean by "take out Hector", obviously he's not going anywhere and we don't really know how long it takes for his condition to reach the point that it is in BB.

I kind of assumed that is the stroke/heart attack that leads to his physical issues given that it robs him of being able to speak and take care of himself. But, you're right, he may not get into that bad state until later so that's an assumption by me. (Technically, I assuming Chuck dies there too since we never see that either...maybe he's saved).
Last edited by El Bastarde on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:12 pm

I thought the final shot of the "unraveling", where there were more holes than actual wall, was quite a climax. The man has a diseased brain that doesn't let him interact with society, and was just cut off from his one excuse to interact. Obviously at the end of his wits.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:34 pm

^Yeah, it just felt like a major anxiety episode overtook him, likely triggered by Howard buying him out and him pushing Jimmy away and realizing he has nothing left. Extreme shit can happen during those emotional episodes. My Mom has an anxiety disorder herself so I've seen some bad episodes so that kind of frantic/unrelenting behavior from Chuck was a little too familiar.
El Bastarde

Postby GratefulPhish » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:49 pm

Yeah as far as the final scene with him kicking the desk and it being tied to the previous, it was pretty epic. I guess I just kept thinking he was gonna find the one thing drawing power eventually.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Previous

Return to Non-Phish Discussion