Better Call Saul (Breaking Bad PreQuel)

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Better Call Saul (Breaking Bad PreQuel)

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:20 pm

Man every week the acting by Bob Odenkirk keeps on surpassing my expectations and more.

I'd have to agree. This is a dude who spent years as a behind-the-scene writer at SNL and was really only for comic relief in most stuff...he's showing his acting chops here.

Guess what? Better Call Saul was 'renewed' for a 2nd season even before the 1st eps aired.

I read somewhere that it was right after the first show aired but either way it's a good sign. I have a feeling AMC will be giving plenty of leeway to Gilligan and the crew.

Loved last night's show...maybe it's me but the last two episodes have moved very fast with a lot of parts in each one. It seems hard to take in everything that happens. Nice to see his brother finally waking up and possibly may be over whatever hangup he had...seems like his "allergy" is related to Saul's success in a way.
El Bastarde

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby AsianGirl » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:35 pm

This week's episode gave us more of what we like:

Cinematography:
I really love the way certain scenes are shot, and how the events are portrayed. Specifically, this episode opens with the wheels of a mail cart. We see the bottom of the cart, and follow the progression slowly upwards until moments later, we realize it's young Jimmy working the Mail Room at HHM, in a flash back into pre-current episode events.

One of the most powerful scenes this week (and idk if it falls under Cinematography or some other term) was the one where Hamlin goes into the Mail / Copy Room to give Jimmy the news. We first see Jimmy celebrate with his friends, and once Hamlin clears the room, all we hear is the audio of a copy machine and the Director lets the silent acting take over. So much more powerful and really brought the point home, especially with no dialogue necessary.

Part of me wonders if Chuck's illness has something to do with HHM casting Jimmy aside; he's the brother of a Name Partner and they can't even give him a 1st Year Lawyer position as this huge firm?! Especially for how hardcore we all know Chuck is / can be,

Another example of fabulous Cinematography is echoed in many episodes, but in this week's it was the lawyer vs lawyer scene, towards the end of the episode. They meetup at Chuck's house and it's Chuck & Jimmy on the LHS, and the Sandpiper Crossing lawyers on the RHS of our screen, across the table from one another. I call this type the "Mirror Image but Opposite" (MIBO) view. We've seen the MIBO views a lot; in the previous episode it was with Jimmy and Mike sitting on opposite side of the Bench waiting for the 2 Cops from Philly to show up. I love the MIBO cinematography as it always shows so clearly the 'similar yet opposite' feeling of the characters being shown.

Acting:
That dumpster scene was really tough to watch. With no Smell-o-Vision, all of the uneasiness I felt watching that scene was due to, again, the superb acting from Bob Odenkirk. His facial expressions were so good I almost dry-heaved just watching him!

Man I can't wait for the remaining 2 episodes of this first season. TBH, I first started watching BCS to get some more Saul shenanigans but this show has surpassed my expectations and more. With no Bryan Cranston I though for sure this show could not top Breaking Bad... oh boy was I wrong!

I would NOT be surprised if they are able to work Gustavo Fring into Season 2. I really can't wait; one of my favorite characters from BB.
*Everything from now on is all Gravy*
AsianGirl

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:57 pm

I really love the way certain scenes are shot,

I love the production of these shows too...stuff like the abstract scenes that kinda focus out to reveal what they are. And I love those long music montages...they usually did these for Walt's cooking scenes in BB but they had a nice one for Mike's robbery in the last episode. I always get giddy for those...just let the music play and the images tell the tale.

was the one where Hamlin goes into the Mail / Copy Room to give Jimmy the news.

Loved it too. No other show does that. And they didn't need to give us the dialogue...judging from Saul's brother's reluctance about hiring him in the earlier scene, you know exactly what's happening so dialogue is irrelevant. Though it's a little shady he took the cake, though.

Part of me wonders if Chuck's illness has something to do with HHM casting Jimmy aside;

Yeah, it's hard to get a time stamp on some of these. I mean it seems like Jimmy's always been a screwup so it's hard to say his brother ever expected anything...I'm guessing that the mailroom gig was what Jimmy did after he got out of jail and that he worked on his legal career at that time. For me, it may be just loneliness with Chuck. It looks like he doesn't have kids or a wife so it's likely that law is all he has and he went home to an empty house every night. Eventually that didn't become enough so he needed Jimmy to visit him and that's his excuse to get it...now that they're working together on a case, Chuck doesn't need the "act" and his brain kinda forgot about his condition. That's just my guess, of course.

all of the uneasiness I felt watching that scene was due to, again, the superb acting from Bob Odenkirk.

I liked the part where he jams his hand deep into a pile of garbage and just makes a face...we've all had that feeling when mashing down the garbage or something where your hand touches something slimy and you don't want to know what it is...you just want to stop touching it. The phone call was maybe pouring it on a bit much but still quite humorous.

Man I can't wait for the remaining 2 episodes of this first season.

There's only two left? Yikes! Oh well...I guess it's nice for it to end right before Game of Thrones begins.

I would NOT be surprised if they are able to work Gustavo Fring into Season 2.

Maybe, but that must be a strange bit of circumstances and it would probably have more to do with Mike's side of the story. I don't mind the Mike parts but I do wish him and Saul would converge a bit more...those two are great together. I was half-expecting Sual to hire Mike to strong-arm the old-folk's home after he was kicked out but it didn't happen.
El Bastarde

Postby piper » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:29 pm

Do we know anything re the relationship between Saul and Kim? I feel like that's still in the dark, no? Love Michael McKean. I'm motivated now to watch This is Spinal Tap again this weekend. :thumbup:
piper

Postby AsianGirl » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:35 pm

piper wrote:Do we know anything re the relationship between Saul and Kim?

Well we know they are 'friends with benefits' and on top of that, they are close friends. We also know Kim is keeping the friendship a secret from the partners (Hamlin) at HHM for self-preservation.

It has been revealed that hey have some kind of history (hence the 'friends with benefit' status) and that Saul cares for her enough to ask her to be his partner in the Office-he-never-gets. From the latest episode, they have been friends since his days at the Mail Room.

We also know their friendship does not make it into the events of Breaking Bad, so either she dies or is out of the picture somehow (like Chuck).
AsianGirl

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:02 pm

I'm motivated now to watch This is Spinal Tap again this weekend.

Totally forgot that he was in that movie. Wow.

Well we know they are 'friends with benefits' and on top of that, they are close friends. We also know Kim is keeping the friendship a secret from the partners (Hamlin) at HHM for self-preservation.

It seems to me that were a former romance but had to end it yet they're still clearly friends...Saul clearly still has feelings for her and I'm guessing she does too. The question is what happened to it...perhaps she had to end it after he left HHM or maybe he screwed it up?

We also know their friendship does not make it into the events of Breaking Bad, so either she dies or is out of the picture somehow (like Chuck).

Actually, we can't say that for sure. After all, it's not like we see ALL of Saul's life during Breaking Bad...just his interactions with Walt and Jesse and such. He could have still had been having their heart-to-heart discussions with Kim on the side (same with Chuck). "You should get a load of this crazy science teacher who came in the door the other day..."
El Bastarde

Postby AsianGirl » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:12 pm

El Bastarde wrote:Actually, we can't say that for sure. After all, it's not like we see ALL of Saul's life during Breaking Bad...just his interactions with Walt and Jesse and such. He could have still had been having their heart-to-heart discussions with Kim on the side (same with Chuck). "You should get a load of this crazy science teacher who came in the door the other day..."

No way Chuck lives / is still around and condones even an iota of the shit Saul gets into in BB. I am pretty sure Chuck is either dead or locked away by the events of BB.
AsianGirl

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:28 pm

No way Chuck lives / is still around and condones even an iota of the shit Saul gets into in BB. I am pretty sure Chuck is either dead or locked away by the events of BB.

A good point. At the very least, they'd be estranged from each other.
El Bastarde

Postby piper » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:43 pm

One of many amazing scenes.
piper

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:24 pm

^Bwahaha. Such a great scene. Love when they're chatting about all the dead drummers.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:25 pm

Wow, pretty wild episode last night.

And I'd have to be blind to not see the parallels of Hamlin "clearing the room" before once again telling Jimmy he won't be hired...just like the flashback in the previous week. And, seriously, Hamlin really needs to learn that it's much better business protocol to go into another room yourself rather than making everyone else leave.

But, wow, Chuck's revelations changes a lot...we all kinda suspected it but it was still surprising when he confirmed it all. And doesn't this throw into question Hamlin's intentions on Jimmy? Jimmy's hated him because he always blamed him for keeping him out...but it was always his brother. Heck, maybe Hamlin was willing to hire Jimmy to get the Sandpiper case and his hands were tied since Chuck likely has more clout? The scene with Kim showed how he was probably frustrated about it and he kinda bit her head off before realizing he said the wrong thing and telling her the truth. Really kinda turned the show on its end. Hamlin's probably still a douche but maybe not as bad as he seems.

And does this mean that Jimmy's done being Mr. Nice Guy?...He seemed to really only do that for Chuck's approval.

Also, I'm definitely noticing more Breaking Bad parallels. Both seasons had a first episode where they got in BIG trouble (Walt with the two dealers and Saul and the skateboarders with Tico) and then "cleaned up" for a bit afterward. And now both episodes had a HUGE moment where all their money problems could be solved...and they refused because of PRIDE. As always, pride is one of the biggest villains in this series...it took down a LOT of folks in Breaking Bad so we're seeing the same theme here.

The Mike stuff certainly took a backseat (always great seeing Mike as a badass) but it was interesting seeing Nacho involved again...the idea of him "going outside of his bosses" implies he's making a move that could upset the cartel balance. And I'm sure Jimmy will get dragged into it.
El Bastarde

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:28 pm

^Well said, also, we gots to get a Gus teaser at least next week or early in season 2 with the Cartel coming back into play.
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Postby Katiemay » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:15 pm

I'm coming at this show 'backwards' having never watched BB. However, BB is at the end of the final season on demand, so I may start if they bring it back around to season 1 again. Or maybe I'll watch it after BCS is complete. Anyway, great show! Fantastic characters. I like the way they tell the story; feels like a puzzle being put together. Even though I don't have the BB pieces, it's still very enjoyable. I find I like it more and more each episode, which speaks to to the strength of the characters, I think. I have been fond of Michael McKean since I was young, watching Laverne and Shirley, and was glad to see him. Bob Odenkirk is superb.
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:12 pm

^Well said, also, we gots to get a Gus teaser at least next week or early in season 2 with the Cartel coming back into play.

Yeah, I always gathered that Mike worked for Gus first before he really started to do work for Saul...I'm guessing he'd work into Mike's arc first.

I'm coming at this show 'backwards' having never watched BB.

Wow, that's probably pretty unusual for most folks...there's not TOO many references to the first show but definitely some parallels...and definitely the same film/art style for both. Glad you're liking it...just know that BB works in basically the same way so if you like Saul, I'm sure you'd like BB.
El Bastarde

Postby AsianGirl » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:18 pm

El Bastarde wrote:...
But, wow, Chuck's revelations changes a lot...we all kinda suspected it but it was still surprising when he confirmed it all. And doesn't this throw into question Hamlin's intentions on Jimmy? Jimmy's hated him because he always blamed him for keeping him out...but it was always his brother. Heck, maybe Hamlin was willing to hire Jimmy to get the Sandpiper case and his hands were tied since Chuck likely has more clout? The scene with Kim showed how he was probably frustrated about it and he kinda bit her head off before realizing he said the wrong thing and telling her the truth. Really kinda turned the show on its end. Hamlin's probably still a douche but maybe not as bad as he seems.

It was a shocker to me that Chuck was using Hamlin to be the 'Bad Guy,' especially in this episode. Like Jimmy declared, he sorta could understand why Hamlin would not hire Jimmy back in the mail room days but now that he is bring the multi-million $$$ Class Action to HHM, surely they could give him some sort of position ...

Now I look at Hamlin in a whole new light; yea he's still an antagonist but Chuck is the bigger threat ... hiding in plain site, sorta. What will Chuck do now that Jimmy's abandoning him?

I mentioned a few posts ago that I think Chuck dies or gets put away. Now, regardless if those events happen, Jimmy is done with Chuck and perhaps that is the reason we do not see Chuck in BB.

Speaking of BB, Katiemay you definitely **should** watch it. They had marathoned the entire series prior to the premiere of BCS. Not sure when, but AMC likes to re-marathon every once in a while so you might be able to record those.
AsianGirl

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:40 pm

It's all good, man 8-)
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:34 pm

It was a shocker to me that Chuck was using Hamlin to be the 'Bad Guy,' especially in this episode.

Yeah, that was more shady than anything the Hamlin people themselves have pulled in this show. Especially with how he's putting all the "shocked" looks during the meeting.

he sorta could understand why Hamlin would not hire Jimmy back in the mail room days

Personally, I was assuming it was Jimmy being rejected because of his criminal record...a big lawfirm may have low tolerance for that, especially for a prison term...which made sense to me. Turns out that was quite wrong and had Chuck wanted Jimmy there, he would have made it happen.

I wonder about the case...could Jimmy just take it to another lawfirm?

What will Chuck do now that Jimmy's abandoning him?

A real good question...may be the ultimate "test" of his phobia where he may be forced to fend for himself. So he'll either get over it and be fine on his own or it'll be a disaster like the last time...I wouldn't put it past him to have something "bad" happen to get Jimmy back into the fold.

Katiemay you definitely **should** watch it. They had marathoned the entire series prior to the premiere of BCS.

I watched the whole thing after-the-fact when the last season was airing. It took me a while since it's hard to find time but it was worth it.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:05 pm

Interesting way to end the season with Jimmy on his "vision quest" to his old stomping grounds. It was a LIL formulaic since it was kinda predictable that his Marco buddy would die but I can overlook it when the episode was so fun.

Also, I loved the line about the Nigerian Prince...nice throwback to the spam e-mail. The scene where they pulled off the half-dollar con was pretty dang excellent. Marco does represent what Jimmy would have been had he not left his hometown, though...Marco was clearly very good at cons himself but he could never use those fast-talking skills to make legit money like Jimmy is able to do in his lawyer job...and this was likely killing him since that was clearly what he loved to do.

It's kind of hard to decipher what caused Jimmy to have second thoughts...I was first thinking that Marco's death would signify to Jimmy that the grifter life can get ugly but it seemed to have the opposite effect. My guess is Jimmy realized how much he enjoyed pulling off a con and he gets a rush from that that he just doesn't get from being a "straight lawyer." He needs that rush or he has nothing and no money he can get would make that better. I think he wants to do this thing on his terms...besides, unless I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure he still get the 20% on the settlement even if he rejects the new lawfirm's offer so he has a nice nest egg.

Which makes me think...I wonder if the Sandpiper lawsuit is still not resolved by the time Breaking Bad happens...and if so, it's impossible for Jimmy to claim his share because he's in hiding...so his shady ways possibly ruined his nice nest egg. Either way, it's the continuing theme of people rejecting an "easy" path due to pride and stubbornness. Happened to Walt and it looks like it's happening to Jimmy too.

And wow...both my Murdoch Mysteries show and Saul ended in the last few weeks...and Game of Thrones is back up this week! very convenient!
El Bastarde

Postby AsianGirl » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:38 pm

El Bastarde wrote:..It's kind of hard to decipher what caused Jimmy to have second thoughts...I was first thinking that Marco's death would signify to Jimmy that the grifter life can get ugly but it seemed to have the opposite effect. My guess is Jimmy realized how much he enjoyed pulling off a con and he gets a rush from that that he just doesn't get from being a "straight lawyer." He needs that rush or he has nothing and no money he can get would make that better. I think he wants to do this thing on his terms...besides, unless I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure he still get the 20% on the settlement even if he rejects the new lawfirm's offer so he has a nice nest egg.

I was wondering what made him change from muttering pre-interview statements to turning around and dissing Kim's efforts in skipping the interview. Maybe he realizes that life's too short to play by the rules, maybe he's finally had enough. Especially when the person he looked up to the most (Chuck) betrayed him. Perhaps up until Chuck's betrayal Jimmy wanted to follow in Chuck's footsteps. Maybe part of Marco's spirit lives on in the ring, cause we saw Jimmy finger the ring slightly right before he turned around. And Marco didn't want Jimmy to go back to his legit job. Or ... Slippin' Jimmy's back for good now? He's always had that inner trait for self-destruction, hence the nick name?

Regarding the 20% settlement payout for Jimmy ... you can never be too rich, right? We know Saul made a healthy amount of $$ from just his dealings with Walt. The monetary rewards of being 'Saul' is not the only thing that keeps him doing what he does ... it's mostly that 'high' Steve mentioned above.

In any case we can all agree that the turning point for Jimmy-> Saul has to be turning away from that interview / meeting. Kim basically set the whole thing up after she found out about Chuck's betrayal. I wonder how this will impact their relationship. Also, I thought Jimmy was 'done' with Chuck but he was genuinely concerned for Chuck's well-being in this episode. Given that the actor who plays Chuck is well-liked and critically acclaimed, he will probably return in Season 2. Perhaps his mental issues get sorted or they make up / Jimmy forgives him? I'm still going with 'Chuck dies before BB' but really no basis for this theory, LOL.
AsianGirl

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:36 pm

Maybe he realizes that life's too short to play by the rules, maybe he's finally had enough. Especially when the person he looked up to the most (Chuck) betrayed him.

I think that's it. The ONE reason that was keeping Jimmy from reverting to his "Slippin' Jimmy" ways was because Chuck was so disapproving. He got a job as a mail guy because Chuck bailed him out and he wanted to straighten up for Chuck, he even became a lawyer to impress his bro...Chuck's biggest issue was Jimmy "cutting corners" to get ahead...the "slippin" antics, the publicity stunt with the billboard, and even him going to some online college...so Jimmy tried to do it on the straight an narrow and all for Chuck. And, even after he gets a big case, Chuck still thought he was a bum the whole time. So once Chuck's approval became impossible I think Jimmy figured he was done trying to please the guy.

And I'm not sure it was Marco's death but maybe Marco saying that it was the best week of his life that caused the big change. Jimmy gets more of a rush from doing his "slippin" antics than anything else.

Maybe part of Marco's spirit lives on in the ring, cause we saw Jimmy finger the ring slightly right before he turned around.

I completely missed the part about the ring or I just wasn't paying attention...when did he put it on? Where did he get it? I'm trying to find a scene on it but I guess youtube hasn't caught up yet.

Though, in searching for something on it, I stumbled on this link: http://www.pajiba.com/tv_reviews/what-t ... future.php - It does a cool job to show more references to Breaking Bad...I'd completely forgotten there was a line from Saul about pretending to be Kevin Costner in Breaking Bad...pretty awesome.

Regarding the 20% settlement payout for Jimmy ... you can never be too rich, right? We know Saul made a healthy amount of $$ from just his dealings with Walt.

That's true. For both Saul and Walt, "just the money" was never enough. Saul just seems to enjoy the "grifter game" and Walt eventually just wanted to be king of the world.

Kim basically set the whole thing up after she found out about Chuck's betrayal. I wonder how this will impact their relationship.

I was thinking the same thing...it was pretty implied that she stuck her neck out for him and even Hamlin seemed to be surprised at how Jimmy was taking care of his brother...and with all that goodwill, he kinda threw it away. I'd imagine that won't go well.

Also, I thought Jimmy was 'done' with Chuck but he was genuinely concerned for Chuck's well-being in this episode.

Yeah, he emphasizes it when he leaves Marco..."he's my brother." You can't just cast off a sibling that easily.

I'm still going with 'Chuck dies before BB' but really no basis for this theory, LOL.

I thought it would happen this season, especially when we had that ugly scene where the cops bust into Chuck's house...that looked like a sign of bad things to come but it looks like Chuck's doing at least a little better. Or the relationship just gets worse and worse as Jimmy gets shadier.

Can't wait for next season when we see more of the shady Saul we remember...maybe even see Huel and Kuby show up.
El Bastarde

Postby AsianGirl » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:10 pm

El Bastarde wrote:I completely missed the part about the ring or I just wasn't paying attention...when did he put it on? Where did he get it? I'm trying to find a scene on it but I guess youtube hasn't caught up yet.

It's the scene after Marco dies, and Jimmy goes to the Funeral. We see a dude smoking outside the funeral, and Jimmy comes out to bum a cig. The ring was given to Jimmy by Marco (via Mom) and Smoker Dude notices the ring on Jimmy's **LIttleFinger (LOL) and says something about the ring being worth some money.

** I just couldn't resist the cross-reference. Initially I wrote "pinky" but spell check didnt like it so I changed it.
AsianGirl

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:22 pm

The ring was given to Jimmy by Marco (via Mom) and Smoker Dude notices the ring on Jimmy's **LIttleFinger (LOL)

Oh...I remember that scene but wasn't quite clear on the "ring given from his Mom" thing...I assume it was given to him at the funeral or something.

**LIttleFinger (LOL)

Got the juices flowing there. :mrgreen:
El Bastarde

Postby AsianGirl » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:44 pm

Well as I have proclaimed in previous posts regarding Emmy / Awards Nominations, etc:

Emmy Nominations were announced today and this show has been nominated for:

Outstanding Drama Series
Leading Actor, Drama (Odenkirk)
Supporting Actor, Drama (Jonathan Banks / MIke)

And 4 other nominations, including writing for the episode "Five-O"

Bravo!
AsianGirl

Postby Katiemay » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:40 pm

Bravo x2. Still plugging through Breaking Bad on demand and was just introduced to Saul in that series. What a fantastic character right from the get go. He brought a breath of fresh air to a show that didn't even need one. Having seen BCS before I began BB biases me towards him right away, even with the extortion.
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:49 pm

^Yeah, I think they said Saul was supposed to have less of a role but his character took off so quickly, they worked him into BB more. Great to see Odenkirk get nominated. Not bad for a former SNL writer.
El Bastarde

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion