Let's Talk About Baseball!!!

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Let's Talk About Baseball!!!

Postby Harpua » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:28 pm

^ I am actually an increasingly rare breed - I prefer baseball to all other sports (by a wide margin). Don't get me wrong, I love football and basketball, but baseball might be the only thing that I enjoy as much as I enjoy Phish.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:37 pm

^Actually, I'm only saying that because my Tigers are abysmal and I'm desperate for any excuse to not watch them. I normally like baseball a lot too but when your team sells off every decent player on the roster, it's hard to get excited. It's weird having a whole weekend of football and then having nothing these last few days. At least Matt Boyd gave us a nice outing in what was a pretty entertaining 2-0 loss to the Tribe.
El Bastarde

Postby GratefulPhish » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:31 pm

Who do y'all think has the coolest/worst uniforms? If you think it's your team, let's throw it out.

I'm watching the A's/Sox game and always liked the A's all white unis (they're not wearing em right now though), and when they wear the green. Also like the Nationals unis, for an expansion team (is it considered that when they're a relocated team?)- classic style for a new team.

As far as worst I think it's gotta be the Dbacks with their new age style. Much like what the Jaguars have done, they've taken a somewhat classic thing and made it worse.

One of my favorite all time logos is the old school Braves lower case A on the white panel hat.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby Harpua » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:15 am

^ 100% Agree on the A's. Yankees, Tigers, Mets, Orioles round out my top 5.

Worst, Once again I am right there with you. D-BACKS, Rays, Brewers, Rockies, and Twins all have pretty lousy uniforms.

Houston's jerseys used to be so bad it was kind of a running joke, but some of their more recent ones have been ok, and the terrible jerseys are now fashionable!
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby willbreathes » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:45 am

Indians still suck.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Harpua » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:11 pm

A friend of mine (Cardinals fan) got 4 free tickets to the Cubs/Cards game on Sunday, and I was lucky enough to get invited. These seats were seriously good seats - 10 rows back from the home dugout. The game itself was the most intense baseball game I have ever been to. Divisional race game against their archrivals.

Cubbies pulled out the win (by about 5 feet), and got the sweep.

~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby Harpua » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:24 pm

Cubs take 3 out of 4 in Milwaukee, and were one Wade Davis blown save away from the sweep. It is a little disappointing that he blew that save, but it is incredible that he went 32 save opportunities without blowing one. It got to the point that fans forgot he is human.

The magic number is down to two. A lot of things would have to go wrong in order for them to miss the playoffs, but it is the Cubs and a lot of things have been known to go wrong for the Cubs (Billy Goats, Black Cats, Leon Durham, Steve Bartman). Even though this team is clearly not yo moma's Cubs, there is still that Chicago sports fan pessimism.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:44 pm

Oh, Philly and San Fran...you thought you had that #1 pick locked down. But, oh no...7 straight losses and counting, we are coming for YOU. We already left the White Sox in our dust but you are next. That pick is ours.

Ausmus not coming back too..Not much else to say there. Dude was dealt a poor hand in some sense but I can't think of a single thing that guy did well. And I will not miss watching our guys get constantly getting thrown out by a mile at 2nd when they try to force yet another single into a double.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:30 pm

^ Make that 9 straight. The Tigers and The White Sox rebuilding at the same time kind of handed The Twins the second wildcard spot.

From the First Page of this thread:

Prediction: [1] The Cubs will pick up a Top / Middle of the rotation guy before the deadline, [2] and will win the NL Central. 2017's NL Central is not the same as 2015's NL Central. [3] We will see a Cubs / Dodger rematch in the playoffs, but this time it will go the other way .

1 - I did post this before they went out and got Quintana, this is something that had been discussed on Chicago sports radio pretty frequently. I thought they would go after Archer or Sonny Gray. As we all know, they got Quintana in a pretty mind-blowing trade. Quintana's Career numbers are similar to Jon Lester's If you look at their career regular season numbers. Neither of them have really established himself as a true "ace." In the post season, Lester's "ace" status can't be argued. He is pretty much the opposite of Kershaw in that respect. Since Quintana has never been to the playoffs, we really don't know what to expect from him.

Prediction Status: Correct! (But this one was kind of a gimme)

2 - The Cubs clinched the NL Central last night. This was the second time in my lifetime that they have won the division back to back, and the first time since 1908 that they have made the postseason 3 for consecutive years (granted it is an easier feat now). Best case: Cubs finish 10 games up on the Brewers. Worst Case: Cubs finish 2 game up on the Brewers. Last year they finished 17.5 games up on the next best team (St. Louis).

Prediction Status: Correct!

3 - First round of the NL playoffs The Dodgers will play the wildcard team, and the Cubs play the Nationals. The Nationals are a very good team, but I honestly believe that The Cubs are (from top to bottom) the better team. Scherzer is unhittable, Murphy has The Cubs number, and The Nationals have home field, so The Cubs will have their work cut out for them.

3 (Cont) - Dodgers will tear through the wildcard team like Kleenex at a snot party (Simpsons reference). They had been struggling, but things appear to be clicking now, they have the talent, and they have something to prove. They will take some of their frustrations out on their opponent. Kershaw is a big ole question mark in the playoffs, but they also have Yu Darvish, Rich Hill (it is upsetting to me that Rich Hill has become such a difference maker), and a stud closer in Kenley Jansen. Adrian Gonzalez is out for the season, but he is a negative WAR player at this point, and Bellinger has proven himself to be a good first baseman.

Prediction Status: TBD but still possible

I am ready for October!
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:06 pm

The Tigers and The White Sox rebuilding at the same time kind of handed The Twins the second wildcard spot.

Especially since the Twins have 7 games against the Tigers in the last two weeks...they play us again this weekend.

3 (Cont) - Dodgers will tear through the wildcard team like Kleenex at a snot party (Simpsons reference).

I wouldn't put anything on postseason Dodgers. Have no clue what to expect from them no matter how good they've been this year.

I am ready for October!

Yeah, I can't wait for NBA to get going either. :mrgreen:

I kid. Of course I'll be watching.
El Bastarde

Postby GratefulPhish » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:36 pm

Good grief, 0 posts since postseason? Helluva game going on in Chicago right now.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby GratefulPhish » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:37 pm

Zobrist scores immediately after that post.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby Harpua » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:27 am

Yep. That's because I turn into a mess during the playoffs. Schwarber is proving to be the liability we all know he is. Woof! He sucks at defense. The starting pitching in this series has been bonkers. The starting pitching has been pretty awful in all the other series.

Let's go Cubbies.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby GratefulPhish » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 am

Yeah gotta assume Schwarber will be traded to the AL for probably a very valuable player.

Gonna say the Dbacks get swept tonight, but if Greinke's on it tonight, they might delay the inevitable.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:14 pm

Schwarber is proving to be the liability we all know he is. Woof! He sucks at defense.

And Schwarber's the hero after this post. Absolutely insane of Dusty Baker to yank Scherzer because he was afraid of a Schwarber home run after he gives up one hit. But, it's Dusty Baker in the playoffs and it's par for the course.

And apparently the Red Sox had some sort of series and already lost. I wouldn't know since basically every game in the series was on during a workday when I couldn't see it. I've actually seen very little of these playoffs outside of a few weekday games. They're either on during the day or football's on during them.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:51 pm

GratefulPhish wrote:Yeah gotta assume Schwarber will be traded to the AL for probably a very valuable player.

I would love to see Theo put a package together that sends Schwarber to the Red Sox for Jackie Bradley Jr.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby GratefulPhish » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:36 pm

Would be interesting...kinda think the Sox are gonna go after Stanton
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby GratefulPhish » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:17 am

Bummer about the game tonight. I was all tee'd up to watch this one. Hockey it is then. Apparently TBS got to make the call not to play the game at 1:00, which is really dumb. Also Dusty said Roark will still start tomorrow.

At least the game will be starting right about when I get off work tomorrow.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:11 pm

Bummer about the game tonight. I was all tee'd up to watch this one.

Works out great for me since I was at Billy Strings last night and would have missed it.

And I guess John Farrell's out in Boston. Strangely everyone's talking up Brad Ausmus for manager which is hilarious because he was pretty darn awful in Detroit and that apparently doesn't matter at all. Good luck with that, Boston...hope you enjoy runners being thrown out at 2nd a lot.
El Bastarde

Postby GratefulPhish » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:14 pm

What a game we got goin on here. Not sure I buy that Stras was ever sick, but that's just me. Kinda got the feeling it was some kinda play by Dusty yesterday. Really looking forward to the Yanks/Indians game later too. Pens/Caps at the same time too...Woo wee.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby Harpua » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:07 pm

That Yankees series was a resasonably big upset. Houston vs NY should be interesting - they are the two most turbo charged offenses in baseball.

I hope the Cubbies can get it done in Washington!
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:29 pm

Not sure I buy that Stras was ever sick, but that's just me. Kinda got the feeling it was some kinda play by Dusty yesterday.

I wonder if they changed their mind on this since early reports were he would sit out and basically the entire media called him out for being a wuss in the playoffs...soon after that, it's reported he's starting.

Won't be able to see Nats/Cubs tonight which makes sense since I've seen almost none of the series anyway. I'll be pulling for my boy Scherzer since I love watching him pitch. Someone get Max a ring.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:28 pm

El Bastarde wrote:I'll be pulling for my boy Scherzer since I love watching him pitch. Someone get Max a ring.

Were you pulling for him to have the most improbable, bizarre outing of his career?

That game was not enjoyable. I found myself cursing Maddon's name, over and over. I'm glad the Cubbies won. Now all that stands between them and their 2nd consecutive NL pennant is the best team in the NL.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby GratefulPhish » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:33 pm

I want Cubs/Yanks. Shit would be wild. But, I like neither of those teams to win their series, so we'll see.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:33 pm

Were you pulling for him to have the most improbable, bizarre outing of his career? That game was not enjoyable.

Wouldn't know. Didn't see it. Was at DSO that night though I did see the 8th inning when the Nats got screwed on an awful replay call that wasn't clear at all. I'm noticing more and more than refs and umpires are ignoring the "indisputable evidence" part of replay and just making changes based on judgement calls. That's not the point of replay.

I found myself cursing Maddon's name, over and over.

You should apologize. You shouldn't ever curse the name of a guy who single-handedly saved your franchise.

I caught the Friday Yanks game but, like usual, saw nothing else this weekend due to a combination of football and Spafford. Hope to catch up this week. Nice to see Verlander back in playoff form.
El Bastarde

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion