Let's Talk About Baseball!!!

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Let's Talk About Baseball!!!

Postby GratefulPhish » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:19 pm

What's the correlation between them being at home and getting the White Sox broadcast locally? Doesn't make much sense to me...
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby marley » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:25 pm

My new favorite player! Truckin', like the Duda man!

#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Postby marley » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:42 pm

El Bastarde wrote:The Rams couldn't even get 20K in the seats last year, although California is a huge state in terms of population, so the solution then is to put a very crappy team along side them (the Chargers).

To be fair, that's more of an LA issue than a football one. I mean the Raiders are still pretty well-supported. But, yes, the SoCal thing never makes sense and the teams have never been popular unless the team was really good. And, as bad as the Rams could be, the Chargers will be even worse. I still understand why the Chargers left since it's really NOT a good investment to build a new stadium where they were but LA's a bad choice.

The Raiders have a built in fan base. Las Vegas is embracing them and has a ton of Raider merchandise already. I don't think the Rams or Chargers would do well in Vegas though.

Anyway, I still feel the NFL is over exposed? Over reached? Too extended? Rearranged but not refined?
Mystified and misshapen? Not sure what the right words are, but viewership and attendance is down and it seems they're trying to get land huge TV and corporate deals when they product they have isn't as good as it once was.
#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Postby Harpua » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:53 pm

GratefulPhish wrote:What's the correlation between them being at home and getting the White Sox broadcast locally? Doesn't make much sense to me...

It's kind of like in football, when an AFC and NFC team play each other, the game shows on the away teams network. (CBS would carry a Steelers / Lions game played in Detroit) I don't know why they do it this, but the broadcast is usually that of the away team when the two play each other. Other times WGN will show one broadcast and CSN will show the other. Once they did the switcheroo for one inning, and once they had a combined inning. For the last regular season Cubs / Dodgers game of 2016, they aired Vin Scully's call on the Cubs' broadcast! That was a real treat.

Either way, I got stuck with Hawk Harrelson squawking about how Sox pitchers need to plunk more Cubs, because Lackey lacked control yesterday and hit 4 Sox batters. Lackey is an A-Hole and has been his entire career, but yesterday he just sucked. I might be a Cubs homer, but no pitcher would intentionally load the bases by hitting 3 out of 4 batters.

marley wrote:My new favorite player! Truckin', like the Duda man!

Duda Dew!

Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:14 pm

Because The Cubs were at home, we saw the White Sox broadcast, which means listening to play-by-play guy Hawk Harrelson. The dude is a clown

Ug, Harrellson is an all-time annoying announcer. He does that terrible "He Gone" line every time someone strikes out which gets old after the first time he does it but he won't stop it. And then there's "put it on the board" line which may be the dumbest catchphrase in sports. I feel sorry that they're subjected to this moron on a regular basis. On the bright side, I heard he's retiring so they'll soon be liberated.

Anyway, I still feel the NFL is over exposed? Over reached? Too extended?

I dunno...it seems the same as ever to me. I mean maybe attendance is down due to folks having nice TV and games being expensive but that's an issue with all sports. NFL is still king. Though I'd rather they not expand any more but I say that about all sports too.

It's kind of like in football, when an AFC and NFC team play each other, the game shows on the away teams network. (CBS would carry a Steelers / Lions game played in Detroit

Actually, they don't do this anymore either. That used to be the way but I've seen NFC games on CBS and vice-versa and I'm not sure what the rules are anymore.

Either way, I got stuck with Hawk Harrelson squawking about how Sox pitchers need to plunk more Cubs,

No surprise at all. I find there's nothing more pathetic and "fake tough" than a pitcher hitting a guy with a baseball. That's something a 4 year old does to his brother.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:07 am

Hey Sean - The Mets traded your boy!

El Bastarde wrote:
It's kind of like in football, when an AFC and NFC team play each other, the game shows on the away teams network. (CBS would carry a Steelers / Lions game played in Detroit

Actually, they don't do this anymore either. That used to be the way but I've seen NFC games on CBS and vice-versa and I'm not sure what the rules are anymore.

Goddammit! Is anything I know true?!
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby GratefulPhish » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:10 am

Yeah I really can't remember how the NFC/AFC thing works for tv channels. I feel like though, when the Steelers did play the Falcons it was on CBS when they were in Pittsburgh and Fox in Atlanta :think: ^Are you saying you've seen an NFC vs NFC game on CBS? that's crazy talk...down here it's Titans on CBS and Falcons on Fox every week. I gotta feeling I'm gonna fall deep into the NFL this fall cause of the way I've just fallen in love with sports again over the past year, so I'll have to find a place better than Buffalo Wild Wings to watch my Steelers this fall.....fall...can't wait

And I liked the "he gone" thing that White Sox announcer does :lol:
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:05 pm

Actually I looked into it and I was kinda wrong...they usually do stick with the NFC/FOX and AFC/CBS thing but I guess a few games were moved around last year due to scheduling where one channel had way more games than the other. This article kinda covers it. So I was a bit wrong in that they only do it with these weird exceptions. But it has happened.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/11/1 ... not-on-fox
El Bastarde

Postby GratefulPhish » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:55 pm

Pirates dropped 2/3 against the damn Giants during the week, one game was basically lost because Marte missed a pop fly to right field. If they can't win the series against the Padres this weekend my hopes will drop drastically, especially if Polanco isn't coming back for a while and they don't find a way to fill his gap. I don't know why you wouldn't at least trade for one decent OF, since if they do make the playoffs Marte will be suspended again and everybody says OF players don't cost much these days.

Cubs/Brewers series this weekend will be fun to keep up with. Could see the Cubs taking it easily and maybe sweeping the way they're playing. Sucks, I have the day off and there aren't any games till about 7:00.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby Harpua » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:43 pm

GratefulPhish wrote:
Cubs/Brewers series this weekend will be fun to keep up with. Could see the Cubs taking it easily and maybe sweeping the way they're playing. Sucks, I have the day off and there aren't any games till about 7:00.

Big series. There is still a bit of baseball left in the regular season, but it is a pretty big series for the NL Central.

Cubs / Dodgers / Yankees (and Padres?) are all trying to score big in the Sonny Gray sweepstakes. This makes me uneasy because The Cubs are out of farm players, so they would have to move someone from the MLB roster, which would come down to Ian Happ, Kyle Schwarber, or Addison Russell. Russell was originally part of the A's system, but The Cubs got him in a trade for Hammels and Samardzija. Happ is still kind of a question mark. He was The Cubs premier prospect going into this season (along with Jimenez, who they traded for Quintana), but aside from his power he looks pretty average so far, so I doubt he would be enough. And I don't want to even think about The Cubs trading Schwarber. Maddon killed him by making him leadoff for as long as he did. Since coming back from AAA, he has been crushing balls. (Though Schwarber was custom built to be in the AL)
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby GratefulPhish » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:45 pm

Man I just don't see the Cubs giving someone up off the Big League roster, but like you said they may have to. The way the starters have been in this second half so far for them, ya just gotta wonder if it's worth it.

Pirates called somebody up to hopefully fill in the defensive hole in right field. I think he was just called up yesterday, and he's starting tonight against the Padres. It'll be cool to see someone new in the field, really all they've done from the minors this year is bring up and drop down different pitchers. I don't think this kid has even been in AAA very long this year from what I remember, but their biggest talent (and outfielder) in the minors apparently got hurt not long ago.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby Harpua » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:40 pm

El Bastarde wrote:The Cubs are also badly in need of a second catcher.

Ya'll can have Alex Avila. Making nothing and hitting well this year.

Looks like Jed and Theo are listening to your suggestions.

I like Willson Contreras a ton, he is a threat at the plate, and he is very difficult to steal on, but he has to work on calling the game, which will obviously improve with time (he was never a catcher before he was drafted). David Ross was a very good fit for The Cubs in 2015 and 2016. He was clearly too old to be an everyday catcher. He was great as a designated catcher, teacher, and clubhouse leader, he left an odd shaped hole in The Cubs roster. Miguel Montero was a pretty good offensive catcher, and he called a good game, but he was a detriment defensively and in the clubhouse. I was kind of bummed to see him go after he called out Arietta to the media, but ultimately I agree that it was the right choice. Theo believes in "high character" (although he did sell his soul when he traded for Chapman last year), and Montero no longer fit the bill. Avila is more than a designated catcher, and his offense can be pretty potent (against righties). Also, the dude knows how to call a game, calling one no-no (Verlander did his part I guess), and Galarraga's "Perfecto" (I'm counting it!).

Also, I am glad to see that The Cubs didn't squander their chance to pass The Brewers. They were 5.5 games back coming back from the break, and are now 2.5 games up on them. This was identified as a "soft" part of their schedule, but they still had to play three in Milwaukee.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby GratefulPhish » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:10 pm

Man the Dodgers cashed in. Watson hasn't been the reliever of the old days, but he's been pitching better the past month or so I think...He blew quite a few saves towards the beginning of the year though. And I think the Yankees are now the favorite in my book in the AL East, they gon be good. Dodgers are in ATL this week, thinking about going down for the game on Wednesday. Might be seeing the 2017 World Series Champs.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby Harpua » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:01 pm

GratefulPhish wrote:Man the Dodgers cashed in... Might be seeing the 2017 World Series Champs.

Yeah. I like to think that The Cubbies still have a shot, and anything can happen in the playoffs, but realistically, those Dodgers have a sick team, and should win the pennant. Dodgers / Astros looks inevitable, but anything can happen in the playoffs, including Kershaw choking... again! Although, to his credit, he beat up on The Cubs pretty good in his first NLCS outing, he was just gassed for game 6, and even then I wouldn't say he choked, he was just beaten.

There is a trend in the MLB where all the skippers in the league have seen what Madison Bumgarner can do in the WS, and now every manager thinks that his ace can throw 3 out of 7 games. Mad Bum is a freak. Kershaw is objectively the better pitcher and Kluber is just as good as Bumgarner, but they don't have the physical and mental endurance that Bumgarner has. Kluber, Kershaw, Miller and Chapman were all overused in the playoffs and all their performances suffered. I'm sure this is temporary. Especially after last years WS, managers have to see that abusing their best arms can be bad during the playoffs.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:06 pm

I liked the Justin Wilson/Avila deal to the Cubs. Those are two dudes where I have absolutely zero faith they'll be putting up numbers this good next year so it doesn't seem like that big a loss. I was torn on Verlander where we could really use relief from his salary but I kinda like the guy...I guess part of me is glad he's still here even if it's not in our best interests. I believe the fact that there's three divisions which are almost already over likely cut down on potential trade partners this year.

Saw Mike Judge crush a HR against the Tigers last night. So I guess I can see that...
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:00 pm

^ I think it was a good trade for both teams.

Yesterday The Cubs throttled the D-Backs. Rizzo had 2 homeruns, and Lester had 2 milestones: 2000 k's, and 1st career homerun. Lester's achievements were buried in the newsfeed, because on the same day, Max Scherzer (presumptive Cy Young winner) had his first career homerun and left the game with an injury. Some people always have to one up.

I think that - all things considered - Anthony Rizzo is a top 3 first basemen in all of baseball. This year he didn't make the All-Star team because he was no damn good at the beginning of the season, and he plays in the same league as Joey Votto and Paul Goldschmidt. He has been on a tear since the break. His offense has been a huge part of The Cubs comeback. Although pitching is definitely the biggest part of it!
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:12 pm

Yesterday The Cubs throttled the D-Backs.

I caught a glimpse of the Wednesday game while getting a beer at the show last night. It had JD Martinez batting for the D-Backs with Alex Avila catching for the Cubs. Made me a little sad.
Last edited by El Bastarde on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:31 pm

Greinke Vs Quintana? Why wouldn't it be a 10-8 slugfest?

Paul Goldschmidt is a fantastic player, and he had one hell of a game yesterday. Not much you can do when a guy like Goldschmidt is swing the bat like that*. Willson Contreras is really turning into a star. He has been doing work this season. Yesterday he went 3 for 5 with 2 HRs and 6 RBI's. Unfortunately it was not enough.

* Last year, The Cubs played a 4 game series against The Nats at home. At the time, it was widely believe that these two teams would meet again in the playoffs. Zimmerman was kind of slumping at this point, so Maddon decided to pitch around Harper, and make the rest of the team beat The Cubs. Harper was walked 14 times in that series, and they went right at Zimmerman. The end result: Cubs sweep the 4 game series. Paul Goldschmidt is a fantastic player, but he is kind of on an island in the batting order. (Pollack and Lamb are fine players, but neither one is going to rough a team up the way Goldschmidt did.) Why not intentionally walk the guy? He was hot, and he doesn't have the best protection.

Joe Maddon is not a tactician. He is a great locker-room manager, but in the dugout, he can be a liability. I have no doubt that since he took the reins as Cubs skipper, he has added more wins than losses, and he was at the helm when they won the world series for the first time in 108 years. I get it, and I appreciate all he has done. That said... I've always heard / read that in baseball a good manager will win you 2 games per season, and a bad manager will lose you 2. By any and all definitions, Maddon was a great manager last year, but this year (using the +2/-2 method) he could probably be considered a bad manager.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby GratefulPhish » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:42 pm

How the fuck are the Pirates still only 5.5 back? They've lost like their last three series against some of the worst teams in Baseball.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby Phinst » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:05 pm

GratefulPhish wrote:How the fuck are the Pirates still only 5.5 back? They've lost like their last three series against some of the worst teams in Baseball.

I keep saying the same thing about the Cardinals. Thing is the division is so mediocre it just let's the teams hang on.

Cubs and Brewers will go on a winning streak, but then lose a few and the Cardinals and Pirates pull together a few wins.

I have already put on the I don't care mindset, cause frankly whoever wins the Division doesn't have a chance in the playoffs.. Mayyyybbee the Cubs.
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2017: Chicago x2: Dayton>Pittsburgh
Phinst

Postby GratefulPhish » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:30 am

Well that's the thing, I don't think the Pirates have done anything since they swept the Brewers. The went out west and lost 2/3 against the Rockies, Giants and Padres. Then lost 2/3 against the Reds, I'm pretty sure that's what's happened since I saw the games in Pittsburgh against the Brewers. I totally expected to look at the Standings after the Reds series and see that they were now like 10 GB, but they somehow aren't- and are about to pick up another game on the Cubs tonight.

I don't think any Central teams have much shot even winning a series in the Playoffs, but I hope it stays like this cause it's gonna make the end of the season really fun to follow.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:45 pm

How the fuck are the Pirates still only 5.5 back? They've lost like their last three series against some of the worst teams in Baseball.

And about to play another one of the worst this week. Worst of luck to ya!

Though the "only 5.5 back" is a bit of fools gold. I mean, it's technically 5.5 games but that's technically 10 games since you need 5 wins and five losses by the other team...which aren't happening. There was a point where the Tigers were "only 6 games" back and were the 3rd-worst team in the AL at the time.
El Bastarde

Postby GratefulPhish » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:35 pm

Haha I'm well aware of what 5.5 (now 4.5) GB means, but I think they still have two series vs The Cubs left in the year. The Pirates have played pretty well against the upper half in their division but have played down to the Shittier teams they've played. I just hope everyone can stay healthy for the rest of the year and make the end exciting.

It'd be sweet to see the Dbacks or Rockies hit a slump right about now.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:08 pm

Haha I'm well aware of what 5.5 (now 4.5) GB means, but I think they still have two series vs The Cubs left in the year.

Sorry, I didn't mean it that way but I do think it can be a bit of fool's gold to look at it that way.

Also, you're welcome for last night. Making a dude with a 4 ERA look like a Cy Young candidate...That's how a REAL shitty team plays, dammit! :mrgreen:
El Bastarde

Postby GratefulPhish » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:50 pm

I had a feeling after watching the first inning he had a chance to do something awesome. Didn't get to watch the whole game though, wondering when he gave up the hit? But his era is a little misleading, I think he had a sub 3.0 era in the month July. He's been getting better and better down the stretch.

Hoping we can 3/4 of these games and the Giants find a way to win at least one against the Cubs, and then maybe the Dbacks can whip em good.

Also the Pirates are the best at making a bad pitcher look great.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion