Let's Talk About Baseball!!!

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Let's Talk About Baseball!!!

Postby Harpua » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:26 pm

y0n wrote:It sucks knowing that I will just feel sad with every highlight from Manny this year.

I hope we trade him and accept the rebuild.

I don't get what the O's are doing. Cobb is a great addition to any team, but it doesn't scream "rebuild" and I tend to doubt that he makes them a contender in that division.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby GratefulPhish » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:38 pm

We're almost there...I'm stoked even though the Pirates will probably be godawful. That said, if Marte can bounce back from last year we've got a nice little offensive lineup. The pitching is definitely the big concern.

Not sure what to expect from the rest of the division this year (especially the Cards). Also haven't really paid attention to a lot the other teams' offseason moves, so I don't really know what's coming from the Brewers either.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:11 pm

We're almost there...I'm stoked even though the Pirates will probably be godawful.

So will the Tigers! We can both enjoy the first series as our horrible teams play each other. We're staring Jordan fucking Zimmermann on opening day because he's "the veteran guy." Because when you have a guy with a 6 ERA from the previous year, you gotta start him.

The worst thing is we're all hoping for turnaround seasons by Miguel Cabrera and Victor Martinez...but if they actually do turn things around, the team will likely immediately trade them while interest is high.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:51 pm

Happy New Year folks!

Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:28 pm

Whelp, our Opening Day's already cancelled. Kinda makes sense since it looks like it'll be rainy all day and I heard it may even cool down later and turn into snow flurries. Luckily tomorrow is an open date so it'll be then. Thankfully, our work will put the game on the TVs so I won't miss much.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:24 pm

It's Happ-ening! First pitch of the season!

Though I am not an Ian Happ fluffer, this is a very good way to start a season!
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:09 pm

We're through six innings and the Tigers have managed to load the bases with no outs without scoring TWICE. It's gonna be a loooong year.
El Bastarde

Postby GratefulPhish » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:52 pm

Man that game yesterday was wild. Surprised they overturned the call given the angles available, but I think Cervelli did tag him. What an opener, god our bullpens suck. Very hard to watch Rivero miss the strike zone repeatedly like that.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:13 pm

What an opener, god our bullpens suck. Very hard to watch Rivero miss the strike zone repeatedly like that.

Boy do they. For the Tigs we have Fulmer and maybe the potential of Cabrera hitting like his old self again. That's it.
El Bastarde

Postby GratefulPhish » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:16 pm

Pretty wild start to the year eh?
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby Harpua » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:40 pm

The Cubs' season has started like...

~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:09 pm

^To be fair, that was a game-winning HBP for Homer. :mrgreen:

And I will say Tigers pitching has been surprisingly decent. Liriano, Matt Boyd and even Fiers have been fairly solid so far. Too bad we can't hit.
El Bastarde

Postby y0n » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:26 pm

Orioles season going exactly as I want it to. Machado raking and everyone else sucking. I want to get maximum value from Manny at the trade deadline. Doesn’t hurt that Bundy is pitching like a true ace. We might have a competitive team in 2-3 years.
y0n

Postby Harpua » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:07 am

The Cubs certainly have The Brewers' number. They have already played each other 8 times, and The Cubs are 7 - 1 in the season series. Their pitching has really come around over the last week. Yu, Q, and Hendricks all looked unbeatable in their last starts.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby Harpua » Fri May 04, 2018 9:25 pm

Ichiro moved to front office. Matt Harvey designated for assignment. Albert Pujols stands at the brink of 3000. Crazy week in baseball!
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby GratefulPhish » Mon May 07, 2018 9:26 pm

I must've missed the Ichiro thing, that's interesting.

I'm probably wrong about this but it seems like the Pirates have either won or split every series or gotten swept. :lol: Doing real well against the division, but having trouble against the East. I think the Braves are the real deal, and due to them being so young and fun I find it a lot easier to root for them. I don't know, for some reason growing up I never really liked them, even being from the south. Their teams always had so much potential and never really did anything, they were just kind of annoying.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby Phinst » Tue May 08, 2018 5:29 pm

:eh: :eh:

...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2017: Chicago x2: Dayton>Pittsburgh
Phinst

Postby Harpua » Wed May 09, 2018 1:29 pm

^ That is tough to watch. I wouldn't wish that on anyone... even a Cardinal.

The last three teams to win the NL (Mets, Cubs, Dodgers) are sitting in 4th place in their respective divisions.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby Harpua » Fri May 18, 2018 1:12 am

I love watching random baseball games when the Cubs aren't on. Right now I'm watching O's v Red Sox (to check in on that future Cub ;) ). Orioles fans are so lucky to have Gary Thorne calling games. He is an all time great play by play announcer.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Fri May 18, 2018 2:12 pm

The fact that the Tigers were a game away from jumping Cleveland for first this week kind of emphasizes how awful that division is. They lost the game but, wow, I did not expect to be in a division race at any time this year.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Thu May 24, 2018 2:44 pm

John Lester pitched 7 innings of one run ball against a pitcher who has only started one other time in his professional career, so naturally The Cubs lose 1 - 0.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby Harpua » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:42 pm

I can't stress enough how much I want Jason Heyward to be good. So far in his tenure with The Cubs he has been perilously near the Mendoza line. The Cubs have him for a long time on a huge contract. He has been the best player on The Cubs for the last few weeks, and hopefully that is a sign that things are turning around for him. Joe moved him up to #2 in the batting order, and last night in the bottom of the 9th, bases loaded, Cubs down by 2 it was the #2 spot that came to the plate.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:21 pm

I can't stress enough how much I want Jason Heyward to be good. So far in his tenure with The Cubs he has been perilously near the Mendoza line.

It's not quite that bad but it's surprising how his hitting dropped off like that the second he joined the Cubs.

Tigers aren't good but are at least competitive, especially at home. It's about all I can ask for at this point. Especially since we're now in the Dead Zone of Sports and baseball is all I have left until football starts.

Maybe some hope with a few position players but it's slowly becoming a realization that Michael Fulmer might just be a decent #3 pitcher rather than the ace we were hoping for.
El Bastarde

Postby Phinst » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:01 pm

^^You want Dexter Fowler back :wave:

Kind of crazy how Fowler and Heyward haven't really worked out with both teams.

Fowler has been one of the worst regular hitters of the 159 in the league. 157th in Average. 148th in OBP and 157th in Slugging. :wtf:

we are stuck, nobody would want to trade for him, and he is only in his second yr at 82.5mil, so you can't release him and eat up that contract.

so word is he may be benched and hopefully he gets it together, but you are paying a guy so much money to sit. Not a good situation.

Looking at his numbers from the Cubs, I think it shows he is not a superstar and only thrives when he has a great lineup/team around him.

It's just With guys like Heyward and Fowler who have such big contracts you expect them to make a difference on the club.
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2017: Chicago x2: Dayton>Pittsburgh
Phinst

Postby y0n » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:09 am

Well this season is brutal.
y0n

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion