Let's Talk About Baseball!!!

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Let's Talk About Baseball!!!

Postby GratefulPhish » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:48 pm

^Sorry, Trevor Williams has a 3.14 ERA since July 1, and the last guy in our rotation (Chad Kuhl, who will be pitching tonight) has a 2.75 ERA since July 1 apparently. I'm sure I just jinxed it right there, but I'm hoping our two aces (although Nova has had a little trouble lately) can get the two games in Detroit.

(page break screwed that up)
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Harpua » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:41 pm

Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:24 pm

^Sorry, Trevor Williams has a 3.14 ERA since July 1, and the last guy in our rotation (Chad Kuhl, who will be pitching tonight) has a 2.75 ERA since July 1 apparently.

I'm learning these fun facts the hard way. Tigs couldn't do crap on either guy. Not that I expected us to...we've had shaky pitchers shutting us down all year.
El Bastarde

Postby GratefulPhish » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:14 pm

^^ Image

(Still one of the my favorite gifs) I honestly think the Cards have the best chance of winning this division. No particular reason other than experience. Pirates are a completely different team than they were during that awful West Coast road trip, we have Sean Rodriguez and Kontos who have both made significant differences already so far. And Polanco is healthy.

^It's funny, the first month or more of the season, Pirates fans were just hoping these guys could go 4 innings. Now we're getting at least 6 consistently from the back half of our rotations, Gerrit Cole is pretty much back to his old self and our ace from early in the year has struggled the most lately- but I think he did better his last couple starts.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:43 pm

^LOL, Good ole Roy. I love that gif too.

Also, I guess Verlander couldn't get shown up by Trevor Williams and dished out his own 1-hitter. Nice to see.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:55 pm

^ Yeah, I saw that. Some vintage Verlander.

I don't remember how I communicated before "Frinkiac".
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby GratefulPhish » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:41 pm

^^ yeah, that was bittersweet to watch. Cool to see someone like that still kill it, gotta wonder if he's just hoping it's good enough to get traded haha. I honestly don't know what they're gonna do about Nova but he doesn't seem worthy of the number one spot in the rotation anymore.

^ yeah I watched that whole game, tough blow, definitely looks like a hamstring which could mean he's out for the regular season at least. Could make for a rough weekend in Arizona.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby Harpua » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Things are getting awfully exciting in the NL Central. The Cubs and Cards were tied for first yesterday, after the Cards won 8 in a row. The Cubs, Cards, Brewers, and Pirates are all within 4 games of each other. Looks like we are in for a dogfight coming down the stretch.

I took my nephew to the White Sox game on Saturday. Tix to see the Sox were only $7, granted they were pretty lousy seats (upper deck, left field corner, front row), but still, that was the most fun I have ever had for $7. Sox lost a pretty exciting game against Kansas City.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby GratefulPhish » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:51 pm

Yep, this last month and a half is gonna be fun to follow. The Pirates have almost all divisional games left for the season. But Polanco hurt his hamstring again and it sounds like it's pretty serious, so I really don't think they have much of a shot in making a comeback. Big week this week though, two against the Brewers, and then a 4 game series against Cards. They played terrible against the Jays this weekend, but if they're gonna have a bad series that's probably the one to do it for. Glad the AL series are over, they're fun but I'm not a fan of the DH.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby ghost » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:07 pm

ghost
Human Being

Postby marley » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:11 pm

Padres: 31.5 games out! :crazy:
#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:15 pm

Padres: 31.5 games out! :crazy:

Hey, at least it's not the Giants. And wow, that 13.5 back for the Tigers don't look so bad now! Speaking of, guess who we get to play this weekend!?
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:55 pm

Ah yes, the classic "two consecutive dropped third strike" comeback rally. I fear the Cubs might rely too heavily on the "two consecutive dropped third strike" move, and they should try to get timely hitting, and good relief pitching so they don't have to go back to the "two consecutive dropped third strike" well for a while.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:26 pm

Ah yes, the classic "two consecutive dropped third strike" comeback rally.

Wait, the Cubs got on players on base after a dropped third strike TWICE in a game!? The times I've seen a guy get on base once from that is super rare. If folks want to say the Cubs magic is gone, they should just point to that game going forward.

Dodgers/Tigers series wasn't bad. Tigs played well but Dodgers are just so sound, especially on defense. Verlander had a pretty sweet showing on Sunday though.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:37 pm

El Bastarde wrote:
Wait, the Cubs got on players on base after a dropped third strike TWICE in a game!? The times I've seen a guy get on base once from that is super rare.

Twice in the 10th! Schwarber struck out and made it to first. Zobrist got a hit. Wild pitch scored Schwarber. Rizzo grounded into a fielders choice, advancing Zo. Baez struck out and made it to first, and stole second. Heyward got HBP. Avila got a walk off hit to drive in Baez. Wacky ending to the game. Very fortunate sequence of events for The Cubs.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby GratefulPhish » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:58 pm

Fuggin Cubbies, maybe they got a little of that magic left in em after all.

Pretty proud of the Buccos for splitting the series against the Cards, thought there was a pretty good chance of a sweep the way they've been playing lately- figured they'd get at most 1 win in the series. Now on to the big bad Dodgers :shock:
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby Harpua » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:45 pm

Congrats to Josh Harrison and the Buccos! I honestly didn't want: A) The Dodgers to Win B) Rich Hill to get a No-No. Some will lament it as a heartbreaker. Others will revel in it. I am definitely the latter. Great game either way.

Rich Hill is kind of a weird player, in that he stuck around until he got good. I watched him play for 4 years, and he was just a middle of the rotation guy. Clearly, he needed a different pitching coach or possibly catcher. There are a lot of similarities between Rich Hill's career and Jake Arrieta's career. Jake's career was hindered by a pitching coach who refused to let him throw with his natural "crossfire" motion. Rich Hill needed someone to tell him to ditch the traditional wisdom of "establish your fastball" and let him establish his best pitch, which has always been his curveball.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby GratefulPhish » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:39 pm

Wild game indeed. I didn't really watch, but I checked in every once in a while on the ESPN app. What is almost as crazy to me is that the Pirates held that lineup scoreless through 9.5 innings. I definitely have never heard of anything like that happening so pretty cool. Hill was on Dan Patrick's show today, but I had to go to class so I missed it. Pretty cool that he was willing to do an appearance the day after last night's game. Pirates have a chance to split this series against the Dodgers, I'll count that as a major win.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:01 pm

Wilder game in Detroit yesterday. Fulmer throws at Sanchez, Kahnle throws at Cabrera, Kahnle kicked, Girardi kicked, Cabrera and Romine have a scrap, benches clear, both dudes kicked. Then Betances nails McCann in the head, benches clear, Betances kicked, the backup Yankees manager kicked. Then Wilson plunks Frasier, benches clear again, Wilson kicked, Ausmus kicked for no reason. Just chaos during the entire game and they had it on at work so folks weren't getting shit done because they were watching the fun. Maybe the most excitement generated by the Tigers in months.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:22 pm

17 - 3 Cubs over Pirates, for the sweep. Quintana looked a bit more like a front of the rotation guy, but he still had a first inning hiccup. I don't believe in "saving runs" but it is the MO of The Cubs to have a lousy offensive game after a great one. Russell is still out, and might be for a bit, which might be a good thing, because he has been a hole in the lineup, and Baez has been playing out of this world.

Brewers are hanging tough. I have to hand it to them, I didn't think they were build to last 162 games, but they are proving me wrong.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby Harpua » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:55 pm

Congratulations to Detroit for clearing out a ton of space for whatever their plan might be. Between Upton and Verlander, Detroit now has $40m+ to work with for the rebuild.

I guess The Angels see the AL as winnable, because they just made huge moves (adding Justin Upton {who is having his best season since 2010} and Brandon Phillips) for a team that doesn't really have pitching and is jockeying for a wildcard spot.

I really wish The Cubs would have made a move to bolster their bullpen. In the playoffs Montgomery and Lackey will both be moved to the bullpen, but it is still very, very weak.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:29 pm

Congratulations to Detroit for clearing out a ton of space for whatever their plan might be.

Yeah, it feels great to watch a starting lineup of Chad Bell, Artie Lewicki, Matt Boyd, Buck Farmer, and Jordan Zimmermann now. Thank goodness for football starting.

I get why they did it but it does suck seeing Verlander in another jersey.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:41 pm

Some bonkers streaks going on right now. D-Backs & Indians keep on winning, Dodgers losing 7 straight and 12 of their last 13.

The league is top heavy, so there hasn't been too much intrigue for the regular season. Sure ESPN has drummed up some excitement with The Dodgers ranking among the greatest teams ever, Giancarlo Stanton on pace to pass Roger Maris' single season homerun mark, and Aaron Judge ( :roll: ), but the divisional races (sans NL Central & AL East) have been kinda boring.

With the league being as top heavy as it is, it should make for an exciting postseason.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby Harpua » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:19 pm

This baseball season has officially gone "Type 2." Indians are on a 19 game win streak. Dodgers are on a 11 game losing streak. Even after dropping 11 straight, and 16 of their last 17, they have a 9 game lead over the D-Backs, who have won 13 of their last 17. The Dodgers still have the best record in baseball with a fairly comfortable margin. Crazy. To the victor goes home field advantage in the World Series.

Also, strap in NL Central fans, it is going to be an interesting September.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:50 pm

What is this "baseball" you speak of? I see only football.
El Bastarde

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion