The Tick! New Series on Amazon

Anything non-Phish related.

The Tick! New Series on Amazon

Postby hosemasterflex » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:51 pm

For me, the cartoon from the mid-90s will always be impossible to beat. But this new series really gets a lot right. So much to say about it, but I guess the important thing is that the 2nd half of season one is out now, and that it's pretty good!

I never got into the comic books, and the first live action version w/Patrick Warburton was good but it took me like a decade to warm up to it. So I think this new one makes up for whatever went wrong w/the Fox 2001 edition. It's a lot grittier and not like, kid-friendly, but to be honest, my own kids are old enough for it so I'm not personally concerned about that factor. Some gruesome stuff in there, and some F bombs and stuff. So that's new for The Tick. I remember getting bent out of shape when the first live action series went more 'adult'. This one's a little more adult than that - but it doesn't feel like cheap crass jokes the way the Fox '01 show did.

Anyway the cartoon remains poorly represented - they only ever issued incomplete versions of that show on DVD (never even released season 3). Disney owns the rights and there's some legal things holding that in some vault somewhere or whatever. So this new show is allegedly renewed for a second season, which could really mean the project finally gets its due in pop culture, and we could see the cartoon resurface someday. I have all the episodes, and I guess they're on YouTube ... but you know, I want the Tick to like, be President.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The Tick! New Series on Amazon

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:13 pm

I've always been confused by the insistence on folks doing a live-action version of this when it's so much easier and sensible to animate the thing.

It's a lot grittier and not like, kid-friendly, but to be honest, my own kids are old enough for it so I'm not personally concerned about that factor. Some gruesome stuff in there, and some F bombs and stuff.

A bit strange given that the comic was never gritty or gruesome in the least...it's supposed to be a goofy hero in a goofy world.

Anyway the cartoon remains poorly represented - they only ever issued incomplete versions of that show on DVD (never even released season 3).

The funny thing is how the comic itself is even less represented. They only did a couple short series and then the creator jumped on board the cartoon and never looked back. Even had an unfinished story arc at the end of the first series.
El Bastarde

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Non-Phish Discussion