What ELSE are you listening to now?

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: What ELSE are you listening to now?

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:43 pm

I read that Maiden chose NOT to have this album mastered. We get the studio mix, no additional sweetening (brickwalling!) ... this band really does shit right. I'm impressed with their approach to so much of what they do.

Right now I'm still listening to that album in the car, but I'm switching it up for some local friends' music, and a little Def Leppard ... someday I might like the albums after Hysteria if I just keep tryin. Why do I do this to myself, lol.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby ghost » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:46 pm

ghost
Human Being

Postby ghost » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:39 pm

Smoking guitar solo:

ghost
Human Being

Postby PardonMe Doug » Mon May 08, 2017 8:59 pm

marley wrote:Since the Dead said they were going to release the Cornell show on vinyl, it's been the Cornell show, plus the May 5th, 7th, and 9th:

https://archive.org/details/gd77-05-08.maizner.hicks.5002.sbeok.shnf/gd77-05-08aud-d1t01.shn

Listening to this vinyl now..... :shock: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :mrgreen:

EDIT: This is the first time I've ever had to turn the bass down because there's just too much Phil. I didn't know that was possible. :wtf:
PardonMe Doug

Postby TanasRoot » Tue May 09, 2017 2:49 pm

saw Tycho for the second time a couple nights ago in DC. i guess i hear a few of there songs incidentally all over the place but i don't really "listen" to them but omg what a great show. this time it was even a 2-set "epic" (lol not really epic maybe a 50 min 1st set and 35 min 2nd but i think its awesome they're starting to think bigger :thumbup: ). all instrumental and super engaging i love the unpredictable crowds they get lots of fun ya'll should go maybe :clap:

"I'm not making this up..."
TanasRoot

Postby El Bastarde » Wed May 10, 2017 1:59 pm

^Most I heard of them is kind of Air-esque electronic chill tunes, yes? Seeing one of those shows live would be a trip.
El Bastarde

Postby TanasRoot » Wed May 10, 2017 2:13 pm

^i could see their recording might sound like that... lots of midtempo songs, very melody driven in a way... synths and guitar. zero vocals here tho, strictly instrumental (so far) which i'm loving ;)

but the live show is great. 4 people, everyone but the drummer switches instruments although i'm pretty sure he's handling some double duty with either a drum machine or synth as well. so where the recordings i think feel very electronic the live show has them for sure but its really a 2 guitar, bass, and drums band.

the rhythm section feels huge and the rhythm guitar parts feel techno-y groovy. it all feels so much better for the live instruments 8-)

i could be wrong but i think they opened with some kinda mashup-y or -> thing with two of their songs.
"I'm not making this up..."
TanasRoot

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu May 11, 2017 3:16 am

Listening to so much live Yes.

www.yessongs.nl

^ has what appears to be every recorded yes show, in lossless .FLAC format, multiple sources per show sometimes, bootleg artwork, audio quality ratings, ... I just found out about it like a week ago and have been goin ballistic downloading ever since.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby willbreathes » Thu May 11, 2017 7:35 pm

Joe Russo's Almost Dead
12/30/2016
The Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY
** SOLD OUT ~ THANK YOU!!! **

Set 1 (8:45PM - 10:12PM):
01. King Bee Jam + ->
02. The Eleven @ (All) >
03. BIODTL # (SM) >
04. Feel Like A Stranger (SM)
05. Cumberland Blues $ (All)
06. The Stranger (Two Souls In Communion) (AC) ->
07. Estimated Prophet (SM) ->
08. Space ->
09. Bird Song Jam + ->
10. Day Tripper % (TH) ->
11. Bird Song ^ (TH) ->
12. King Solomon’s Marbles & ->
13. Bird Song Reprise + (TH)

Set 2 (10:49PM - 12:??AM):
01. Til The Morning Comes + (All + AC) ->
02. Passenger + (SM & AC) ->
03. Viola Lee Blues * (All) ->
04. Jam ->
05. Uncle John’s Band (All) ->
06. Becky @@ ->
07. Uncle John’s Band Reprise (All) ->
08. Viola Lee Blues Reprise (All) ->
09. Hoo Doo Voo Doo ++ (SM) ->
10. Lovelight * (AC) ->
11. Shakedown Street ## (TH) >
12. Throwing Stones $$ (SM)
Encore:
13. The Weight (All + AC)

AC is Alecia Chakour (Tedeschi Trucks Band) on Vocals
+ - First Time Played by Almost Dead
@ - With at Throwin’ Stones Tease (TH)
# - 30 Beat BIODTL for Dec 30th
$ - With Feel Like A Stranger & Hoedown (Aaron Copeland) Teases (MB) & a Lovelight Jam (Band)
% - First Time Played by Almost Dead, Beatles Cover, Unfinished, 2 verses were sung
^ - With a Day Tripper (The Beatles) Tease (MB)
& - Unfinished
* - With Cochemea Gastelum (Dap Kings) on Bari Sax
@@ - Benevento Russo Duo Cover, not played since 2015-10-03, a gap of 46 shows. Basically only Joe & Marco played on this song.
++ - Wilco/Billy Bragg/Woody Guthrie Cover, First Time Played by Almost Dead.
## - With a MB Piano Solo, an On The Road Again Tease (Band), a “That’s All” (Phil Collins) Tease - I think, it might be something else (Band) & an unknown jam (Band) that I may be able to figure out.
$$ - With an Unknown Tease (TH)

Joe Russo - Drums, Vocals
Tom Hamilton - Guitar, Vocals
Scott Metzger - Guitar, Vocals
Marco Benevento - Keyboards, Vocals
Dave Dreiwitz - Bass

Show #94
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Harpua » Mon May 15, 2017 2:22 pm

Will - If you will join me in the WABAC Machine, I will set it for 2005.

Way back in 2005 you sent me a couple of Railroad Earth discs. Back when I first got them, these discs got a fair amount of play, but then I moved 7 times in as many years, and these got put on one of those CD spindles with a bunch of other live shows (Mostly Phish or 70 V Parade.) This weekend I found this spindle, and popped in the show from August 2004. First, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the CD player in my car supported the format, because you never know with some of those old burned CDs. Second, I forgot how great that show was. Thanks.

So that's what I am listening to now.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Mon May 15, 2017 2:32 pm

Joe Russo's Almost Dead

Still debating whether to hit Dick's a day early for these guys at Red Rocks. I probably won't but, boy, it's tempting.

Way back in 2005 you sent me a couple of Railroad Earth discs

Really wish they'd come back to the Detroit area. Saw one show of them and they were excellent.
El Bastarde

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:51 am

I'm almost a decade late to the party of being impressed by Lady Gaga. I learned Bad Romance to play in a band at a wedding last month, and am hooked on that tune man. What an amazing track.

Listening to a lot of Cat Stevens and Iron Maiden today. Also Live Phish 07 8/14/93, my youngest (15) is way into Phish right now.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:17 pm

^I liked a few of GaGa's earlier albums. Mostly Bad Romance and Born This Way. Wasn't much into her newest stuff. I had a phase too where I bumped her quite a bit.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:14 pm

Ever had a song where you've heard it a bunch of times for years but, for some reason, it just starts to stick with you and you suddenly start loving it and playing it more than you ever did before? That's this song right now.

El Bastarde

Postby ghost » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:40 pm

When I'm sitting at the computer these days, I'm only listening to something from The Baker's Dozen. It's the only way. There is no "ELSE" for awhile.

Since before Lemon night when I got out Led Zeppelin II, I've been listening to that when I am driving. What a great album. The riffs. The drums. Holy shit.

I'm posting this again because Ramble On is awesome:
ghost wrote:The pitter-patter drumbeat by John Bonham during the quiet parts of “Ramble On” has sparked considerable debate among drummers. Some have theorized that Bonham was hitting the sole of his shoe with drum sticks. Others say it was a plastic garbage can lid. According to Chris Welch and Geoff Nicholls in John Bonham: A Thunder of Drums, Bonzo used his bare hands to tap out those 16th notes on an empty guitar case.
From: http://www.openculture.com/2013/10/deconstructing-led-zeppelins-classic-song-ramble-on-track-by-track.html
ghost
Human Being

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:17 pm

^I will also second that Ramble On is awesome and I also love the pitter-patter.

When I'm sitting at the computer these days, I'm only listening to something from The Baker's Dozen. It's the only way. There is no "ELSE" for awhile.

I'm diving into the Aqueous catalog these days since I'm seeing them in a few months. Learning the songs of these up-and-coming bands can be tough...feels like it's a lot of content at once but it's good fun anyway.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:21 am

Tom Waits the Mule Variations!
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby relaxation3 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:34 pm

Digging on Rezz right now, it wakes me up & gets me cutting meat at 5 am faster.
relaxation3
The Eggman

Previous

Return to Non-Phish Discussion