What ELSE are you listening to now?

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: What ELSE are you listening to now?

Postby ghost » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:10 pm

EDIT: Woohoo! Top of the page!

^ I've been listening to this over and over. I now measure the passage of time in relation to the song. "Oh shit! I've been wasting time on the Oh Kee Pa for seven Catfish Johns!" It's got the perfect Grateful Dead bouncy hippy dance party guitar organ vibe. I like the lyrics too. It was written by Bob McDill and Allen Reynolds (songwriter/producer guys). Released by Johnny Russell in 1972. (I know all this from reading it just now.)

Listen to the asshole Wilburn brother introducing the guy. What the fuck? The crowd doesn't get it or doesn't want to laugh. I just learned from more reading that Johnny Russell worked for the Wilburns as a songwriter. And at the end of the clip the Wilburn and Johnny Russell talk and it seems ok. Johnny Russell even jokes about being the 5th AND 6th brother.

Fuck. Eight Catfish Johns!

OK. So I should get a job now.
ghost
Human Being

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:42 pm

Never heard the Dead version. Nice!!

Listen to the asshole Wilburn brother introducing the guy. What the fuck? The crowd doesn't get it or doesn't want to laugh.

Yeah, I have a feeling they all know each other so it was likely just some ribbing by buddies. The crowd definitely doesn't get it.

I'm seeing this fun lil jamband in Aqueous in a few weeks so I've been bumping them a lot. Liking this:

El Bastarde

Postby ghost » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:30 pm

ghost wrote:It's got the perfect Grateful Dead bouncy hippy dance party guitar organ vibe.

I think it's a piano.

ghost
Human Being

Postby booztravlr » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:22 pm

There is a lot of great stuff on here but the Playhouse Theatre show from June '69 and especially the Paris Cinema show from '71 are absolutely some of the best live LZ I've heard. Pics is a little small but you can see the LP outlay here [https://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-The-Complete-BBC-Sessions/release/9057432]. The back cover was included so you can see what the complete shows look like, before adding in the 5th LP to complete the original 4LP condensed set.
the eleven | To weird to live, to rare to die.
booztravlr
Mr Boombastic

Postby Buster » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:07 pm

Tossed on some from my girl Ani D on this rainy afternoon. Love me some Ani D.
Buster
The NorEaster

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:55 pm

Listening to lots of Fleetwood Mac, from all eras.

Just watched this hour+ twenty minute documentary on the making of the 2003 album. Totally great documentary (I think it's called "Destiny Rules"), so insightful.

Seems like Lindsey's the tortured genius who's probably overly attached to the art, and Stevie's a know-it-all controlling type whose understanding of Lindsey seems obscured by her knee-jerk oppositions to his ideas in general.

I dig Stevie Nicks to a point, but it's hard for me to not see her as a classic self absorbed diva. What do I know though. She's probably fine, lol.

I did come away from the documentary feeling badly for Lindsey, because in the end he didn't get his way (wanted it to be a double LP), and the band ended up suffering over the disagreements in the studio (they cut the tour short and decided not to do a followup album).

So I just put on Say You Will here at work, really cool album, if you can remember to not expect it to rival the heyday.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:52 pm

Say You Will is a nice album but I remember thinking it had too many songs as it was...kind of humorous that Lindsay wanted it even longer since I'd agree with the rest of the band on that much. They did, however, have an "extended LP" that came out a few years later with like 3 or 4 songs so maybe those were the extra tunes that were cut. Overall, I'd imagine the whole band has egos so it's no surprise to see them butt heads a bit.
El Bastarde

Postby ghost » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:58 pm

ghost
Human Being

Postby willbreathes » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:19 pm

Just listened to Ænima while dealing with snow this morning... its a fucking inspiration for Stranger Things. Went online... found this:

At least I am not the only crazy one.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Previous

Return to Non-Phish Discussion