What ELSE are you listening to now?

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: What ELSE are you listening to now?

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:33 pm

ghost wrote:Right now:

I just fired up In Search of the Lost Chord. The Moodys are just the best for listening to an album from start to finish.
El Bastarde

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby ICC » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:34 am

VEEDON FLEECE - Van Morrison. This album is life.
We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think its forever - Carl Sagan
ICC
Whovian

Postby SirChompsAlot » Mon May 14, 2018 4:04 pm

I saw a band called Great Good Fine Ok Friday night, it was a really fun show. They are very pop-y though, so I'm not sure if they'd be anyone else's cup of tea.

SirChompsAlot

Postby ghost » Mon May 21, 2018 1:31 am

My favorite part starts at 13:20
ghost
Human Being

Postby SirChompsAlot » Mon May 21, 2018 6:18 pm

Good stuff. Nice mellow laid back music to listen to in the background while I work or just chill out. Here's a short live set they did last year...

SirChompsAlot

Postby SirChompsAlot » Mon May 21, 2018 6:31 pm

The youtube rabbit hole took me here next...

A different band with the guitarist and drummer from that Delvon Lamarr band.
SirChompsAlot

Postby ghost » Thu May 31, 2018 4:00 pm

^ I like it. I like the guitarist (Jimmy James).

ghost wrote:

SirChompsAlot wrote:Cal Tjader? Where do you find this stuff? lol ;) It sounds cool though. Smooth.

YouTube rabbit hole. I clicked on it because I liked the cover art. The music...not so much. You listen to it while you play backgammon in the parlor...or something. I was putting a desk together, so I just let it play.

Yesterday morning the alarm went off right when this was starting on the radio. I turned it off before the opening bassline finished, so the whole song was playing in my head all day.
ghost
Human Being

Postby ghost » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:18 pm

ghost
Human Being

Postby SirChompsAlot » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:01 pm

I like most of Nathaniel Rateliff's stuff that I've heard, but haven't been able to really get into him. I like his song Wasting Time alot (and now that I relisten to it, it sounds a lot like The Weight with that walkdown):

SirChompsAlot

Postby ghost » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:13 am

^ I don't really care for it. The only Nathaniel Ratliff I'd heard was that honey song.

I heard part of this earlier on the University of North Texas jazz radio station. I checked out the playlist on the website later and voila:
ghost
Human Being

Postby hosemasterflex » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:37 am

In the summers lately, I've had the opportunity to play with this wedding band when their guitarist needs a night off for another gig or whatever ... and so I end up badgering my eardrums with pop songs I would never be listening to otherwise, trying to get familiar enough to play my part right.

Well we played a wedding in the Franconia area of New Hampshire on Saturday and I needed to know "I Don't Care (I Love It)" ... I'd never heard of it. Totally dig it by the way, just thought it an odd thing to be learning this tune I sort of assumed nobody'd really know.

F*ckin' blew my mind when everyone in the room knew the song front to back. It was like a wedding dance floor full of lyric knowers, as they sang along as if to emphasize their relative mastery of this piece of pop. I was but a fool! Cool song. Not so into "Ignition Remix" by R Kelly, wtf is that crap.

Meanwhile I'm listening to all of Phish's 2017 shows, courtesy of phishows.com ... and I'm on donut #9, hoping my lottery ticket's a winner so I can get the donut boxed set. AUDs are great, but them SBDs, especially carefully remixed ones, are just crazy to listen to. I completely balked at the donut set because of pricing, and because of song choices for the hi-lite edition ... but listening thru has been great. Song variety alone makes it worthwhile, especially since they're basically nice versions of these songs. Oops segue'd into wrong thread territory; long live other shit! I got Tug of War on my turntable! Black Album on the other turntable!
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby SirChompsAlot » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:47 pm

Yeah, that I Don't Care song is a nice little pop song. The wedding band song that blew my mind recently was Shut Up and Dance With Me. My GF and I were in Tulsa for her stepbrother's wedding, and that song came on in the car as we were driving around. I changed the station as quickly as I could and most likely made a fake barfing gesture. She said," prepare yourself, I'm almost certain they'll play it at the wedding." Fast forward to later that night at the reception, the band played it, and all of the young people lost their minds dancing and singing along. What a fucking turd of a song.

Randomly, the string quartet at the ceremony played my favorite Sigur Ros song.

I don't know what it is musically, but whenever I listen to it (the original), it brings a smile to my face.

I kind of like that R Kelly song, but since he is just a complete piece of garbage, I can't really listen to his music any more.
SirChompsAlot

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:08 pm

F*ckin' blew my mind when everyone in the room knew the song front to back.

The "I Don't Care" song? Man, that song was everywhere for a while. I agree it's a fun little tune.

I changed the station as quickly as I could and most likely made a fake barfing gesture. She said," prepare yourself, I'm almost certain they'll play it at the wedding."

I kinda like the "Shut Up and Dance With me" line from the song since it's a cute message...but I could do without the rest of it.

I kind of like that R Kelly song, but since he is just a complete piece of garbage, I can't really listen to his music any more.

I never really get this mindset. I assume that art is independent of artist...if the song is good, I don't see what the character of the artist has to do with it. There's been so many terrible people who have been musicians or producers or actors or painters or whatever that we'd be boycotting shit left and right.

It also seems a bit silly to single out R Kelly...Michael Jackson was flat out molesting boys and no one ever seems to care about that and his music is still everywhere. Heck, David Bowie was accused of rape once, if I recall and no one even remembers that. Seems a bit arbitrary to hate on just R Kelly simply because it's an internet fad.

The second of Jethro Tull's one-song albums with another prog-rock masterpiece. A bit weirder than Thick as a Brick but I enjoy some parts even more.
El Bastarde

Postby SirChompsAlot » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:20 pm

El Bastarde wrote:I kind of like that R Kelly song, but since he is just a complete piece of garbage, I can't really listen to his music any more.

I never really get this mindset. I assume that art is independent of artist...if the song is good, I don't see what the character of the artist has to do with it. There's been so many terrible people who have been musicians or producers or actors or painters or whatever that we'd be boycotting shit left and right.

It also seems a bit silly to single out R Kelly...Michael Jackson was flat out molesting boys and no one ever seems to care about that and his music is still everywhere. Heck, David Bowie was accused of rape once, if I recall and no one even remembers that. Seems a bit arbitrary to hate on just R Kelly simply because it's an internet fad.

You're right, but I have a hard time separating it. Especially in this case after reading an article last year, he's currently holding women against their will in some kind of cult
https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/7/17/1 ... xual-abuse

Getting back to the point of this thread, I saw OAR at Summerfest last weekend

SirChompsAlot

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:22 pm

Especially in this case after reading an article last year, he's currently holding women against their will in some kind of cult
https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/7/17/1 ... xual-abuse

When did we start treating National Enquirer articles like they're legit news? Nice anonymous sources, Buzzfeed.

Getting back to the point of this thread, I saw OAR at Summerfest last weekend

Didn't know folks still saw them. I remember when they came out around 2000 and so and seemed to be "that pseudo-jamband who your friends would mention to make it look they like jambands." They never really blew me away but it's nice to see they're still around.
El Bastarde

Postby SirChompsAlot » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:14 pm

El Bastarde wrote:When did we start treating National Enquirer articles like they're legit news? Nice anonymous sources, Buzzfeed.

Heh, I thought Vox was semi legit, no clue though. There's also a music critic who used to write for the Chicago Sun Times who has done a shit ton of investigating on this, though it almost seems like he's got an axe to grind. http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magaz ... DeRogatis/

El Bastarde wrote:Didn't know folks still saw them. I remember when they came out around 2000 and so and seemed to be "that pseudo-jamband who your friends would mention to make it look they like jambands." They never really blew me away but it's nice to see they're still around.

Yep, I'm a huge fan, though I refer to them as a "frat rock jam band", definitely not in the same vein as most jam bands, but they explore things at their shows, a lot more than a typical band. I've seen them 9 times, second only to Phish, and we have tickets to see them at Ravinia and Red Rocks later this summer. IIRC they're putting out an album soon, their 9th, but their stuff over the last 5-10 years has trended a lot more towards pop than their early, more reggae influenced stuff. Trying to put out hits and get paid I assume.
SirChompsAlot

Postby willbreathes » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:13 pm

I've been really in a Pearl Jam groove the past few weeks. That Gorge box set from about ten years ago or so is really the bees knees.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:54 pm

Heh, I thought Vox was semi legit, no clue though.

I find it a bit strange when you have multiple people supposedly effected by an issue who give their story to a single journalist and then don't press charges and who don't talk to anyone else. Not to mention that everyone outside of the three former girlfriends are anonymous...why would parents of someone who is supposedly trapped by him now go anonymous? Doesn't make sense and hurts the credibility.

but their stuff over the last 5-10 years has trended a lot more towards pop than their early, more reggae influenced stuff. Trying to put out hits and get paid I assume.

Kind of a strange time to worry about getting hits, I guess. But it seems like a lot of bands progress this way as they get older.
El Bastarde

Postby ghost » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:53 pm

ghost
Human Being

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:29 pm

^Always a guilty pleasure tune there.

Seeing him in a few weeks. This new album isn't that good but I figured I'd brush up since I'll certainly get a few of these.
El Bastarde

Postby SirChompsAlot » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:34 pm

Some friends of mine went to the David Byrne show(s) in Chicago and they really enjoyed it. Didn't play all of the Talking Heads hits (not surprising), but that it's a really cool, choreographed stage show.

I just randomly found this on the youtubes, Warren Haynes jamming on Cortez the Killer with DMB. The title and description of the video really buries the lede by not mentioning Warren Haynes at all :roll:

SirChompsAlot

Postby ghost » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:02 pm

EDIT: ^ very nice. I always forget about Cortez the Killer. I heard it for the first time in only the past few years.

I never knew there was so much to know about Groove Is In the Heart. Bootsy Collins makes the song with his vocals. DIg...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groove_Is_in_the_Heart

ghost
Human Being

Postby SirChompsAlot » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:10 pm

Not sure if this is the right thread, but Lollapalooza is this weekend and they are live streaming a lot of the sets on the youtubes here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/RedBullMusic

Here's the list of what they'll show:

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/08/ ... 8-webcast/

I'm hoping to catch The National tonight, but I also want to check out Phish Alpharetta as well. Decisions, decisions.
SirChompsAlot

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:23 pm

I got Page's Unsung Cities and Movies Never Made on vinyl about a week ago, a really nice record. That's sitting on one record player.

Rubber Soul (US Apple pressing) on the other record player.

Too much news radio in the car these days.

In the earbuds, I'm listening thru all of Phish live 2017, up to the final donut currently.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby fone » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:21 pm

Not much, but that's going to change now that I have a whole lot of time.

Will definitely keep you posted.
Go down in your own way
And everyday is the right day
And as you rise above the fear lines in his frown
You look down
Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd
fone
The Sage

Previous

Return to Non-Phish Discussion