What ELSE are you listening to now?

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: What ELSE are you listening to now?

Postby El Bastarde » Fri May 06, 2016 1:59 pm

Only REM album I own. Only one I need to own.

BISCO!! Been a while since I've listened to them. They just never really tour much anymore.

Sweet album. Not a bad movie either.
El Bastarde

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Phinst » Thu May 12, 2016 8:14 pm

Dierks-Bentley-Riser.jpg
Dierks-Bentley-Riser.jpg (66.45 KiB) Viewed 2665 times
Eric_Church_-_Chief.jpg
Eric_Church_-_Chief.jpg (12.02 KiB) Viewed 2665 times
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2017: Chicago x2: Dayton>Pittsburgh
Phinst

Postby hosemasterflex » Sun May 15, 2016 3:34 pm

I have been listening to Prince since he died, and actually was on a Prince kick already. I've been working my way thru my collection since. Still haven't heard it all yet. Right now I've got Diamonds & Pearls going on the PC. Emancipation III in the car. U Got The Look extended 12" single on the turntable. I probably have letters. OCD, ADD, AC/DC, KGB. somethin.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby goldenroad » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:50 pm

holy shit Vulfpeck is incredible!!!

Don't go by what you hear on JamON. Watch this stream from Bonnaroo last night.

Wowzas!
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby hosemasterflex » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:53 pm

^Fonky
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Brother » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:02 pm

Vulfpeck is so good. Got to catch them once in Ann Arbor, their hometown. One of them is an ass like the stereotype of people from U of M/Ann Arbor, and one of them is so sexy. I will let you figure out which is which.
Brother

Postby goldenroad » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:13 am

I'll preface this by saying I don't like musicals, but Fuck me if Hamilton doesn't have some of the best music I've ever heard. Has anyone here seen it? Bill? Pei? I'm not quite to the point where it's like "Fuck it I'm going to New York", but if I were there I'd probably pay a pretty ridiculous price to get in there. Every song has "hit" written all over it. Some of my favorites are Helpless, Washington on Your Side...dammit they all work so good together. It's my workout music, my driving to work in the morning music and my drinking music. Such a good soundtrack. I'm all in.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:06 pm

^I've heard about Hamilton everywhere but never got into it. Maybe I will.

Been on a Dead kick since last week...streamed their show last night and got a killer Know You Rider and Watchtower.
El Bastarde

Postby hosemasterflex » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:58 pm

I too have been on a Dead kick, of sorts. I was recently given a bunch of Robert Hunter records, and a couple Dead records were in there too: Historic Dead & Shakedown Street. I just put on Anthem of the Sun this morning, which I'd just listened thru last night.

I just yesterday figured out that the break between American Beauty & Wake of the Flood wasn't really a break. The two live albums that came out in the years between featured new material, and served as their new albums instead of studio works.

I'm late to the party w/the Dead, never really dug 'em. I assumed I would, having been big on Phish, but the main things that attract me to Phish just aren't there w/the Dead. But I've been patient. I have the albums, have performed their songs at gigs, definitely more familiar with them now.

I'd say my favorite things about the Dead, after 20+ years of trying to "get it", are: Jerry's vocals, the album art & associated imagery, the lyrics. The musicianship hasn't bowled me over, and I'm not that into the other vocalists especially. But there's nothing to NOT like, which is a feat for any entertainer.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:46 pm

I just yesterday figured out that the break between American Beauty & Wake of the Flood wasn't really a break.

It's kinda funny how we freak out about the "hiatus" with Phish. The first one was a little over two years...that's basically how much most bands go between tours AND they put out Round Room in that time. Heck...even with the second hiatus there's only about 4/5 years...U2 goes that long between their tours usually. We're so spoiled.

And, in the case of both Phish and the Dead, you know those guys were doing solo stuff during those "breaks" as well so even the band itself isn't actually taking it easy.

I'm late to the party w/the Dead, never really dug 'em.

I was too...didn't get into them until after I got into Phish. They're growing on me more these recent years as I slowly learn their library...they've just got so many tunes that it's daunting to try to remember them all...I really should do a deep-dive on all the albums of there's I don't have yet though. With Phish it feels like they're "our" band...The Dead feel like someone else's band and I'm just kinda peeking in the door to see what's going on. We didn't live and breathe them like some did so maybe it's different in that way. There's something to be said about being with a band as they got big and growing with them.

Obviously in the mood from seeing them last weekend. Always love the small army they have as a band in their group photos. They put out a new album this year which I'm eager to listen to. They just get better and better every time I see them. Highly recommended.

Live Dead

So good.

Pink Floyd - Pulse
So gooder.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:53 pm

Never had even heard of these Spafford guys until I saw mention of them on one of the Umphrey's boards. Checked out this set and it's damn tight. I guess they're based out of Arizona...would be cool if they'd come out East.

Edit: That video is acting funny for me. Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZoU6A1vYAo
Last edited by El Bastarde on Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
El Bastarde

Postby hosemasterflex » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:47 pm

El Bastarde wrote:
I was too...didn't get into them until after I got into Phish. They're growing on me more these recent years as I slowly learn their library...they've just got so many tunes that it's daunting to try to remember them all...I really should do a deep-dive on all the albums of there's I don't have yet though. With Phish it feels like they're "our" band...The Dead feel like someone else's band and I'm just kinda peeking in the door to see what's going on. We didn't live and breathe them like some did so maybe it's different in that way. There's something to be said about being with a band as they got big and growing with them.

Totally. What's helping me, is realizing what songs aren't on studio albums. The Skull & Roses and Europe '72 albums are kind of exclusively not studio album material (mostly) ... even Live/Dead, I think, has only a couple numbers from the studio albums. Also I've finally kind of gotten my head around what to expect from Dead music. I guess part of my difficulty is not knowing what I'm supposed to enjoy, if that makes sense. Lately I've been settling into just enjoying what I'm hearing, with a lot less confusion about whether I "get it".

Speaking of the Dead, anyone ever hear this gem? I had no idea what I was in for. Amazing, amazing album. The Dead plays on it (all of it?), as Crosby's band. His talents are VERY much evident on this unique and trippy piece of hippie gold.

hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby goldenroad » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:12 pm

^ Kev. If you like that album (one of my favorites!) you should also listen to Mickey Hart's - Rolling Thunder and Jefferson Starship's - Blows Against the Empire (the first "solo" Kantner album). All three albums were recorded right around the same time and all feature the same group of musicians/songwriters (Dead, CSNY, Jefferson Airplane, and other frisco cats). Rolling Thunder features the first studio version of Fire on the Mountain and a great version of Playing in the Band.

All three albums are meant to be listened to as a trilogy in my opinion. They even had a name for what their overall San Fran supergroup was going to be called...I can't find it online though. I'm sure it says it in the liner notes for one of those albums. Blows is pretty easy to find on vinyl for cheap and I'm sure Rolling Thunder can't be that hard to track down either. Like I say, if you like IICORMN, you need to hear the other two albums.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:55 am

Cool! Yes, each time I've listened to the Crosby album, it's like I'm reflecting on my first impression and second guessing it. I'm like, 'this can't be all that, can it?' and then it is.

I'll be checking out those ^two albums. I have one Jefferson Airplane record, I think, "The Worst of Jefferson Airplane". I've hardly listened to it. And I have definitely never heard Rolling Thunder.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:29 pm

Totally. What's helping me, is realizing what songs aren't on studio albums.

That's my biggest issue with getting into any new band of this type. Checking the studio albums is a nice efficient way to learn the library and then you hear them live and realize a ton of their shit isn't on album and it gets a lil difficult then.

Also I've finally kind of gotten my head around what to expect from Dead music.

I'm the same. It's easy to forget they're not Phish and they're more freeform and they're much more into just throwing shit at the wall to see if it sticks, even if it sounds a lil rough. I still struggle to get into some of those Dark Star jams but I at least understand what they're trying out. But I kinda like the Verse>Jam>Verse>Jam>Verse>Jam format they have for songs when most bands seem to just do the song then jam at the end of it. The Dead is a lot more chill than most jambands too so I'd have to know I may go a number of songs without them "rocking out."

I have one Jefferson Airplane record, I think, "The Worst of Jefferson Airplane".

That's a great title.
El Bastarde

Postby proletariat » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:46 pm

i have that worst of JA album. it's pretty deec

haven't been around here in a long time. all i listen to anymore is iron maiden. i saw them twice in april and they changed a lot of my views on music and my approach to playing music. this is the single greatest video ever on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPxHmU5UXxM
proletariat

Postby willbreathes » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:47 pm

Been on a songwriter kick a ton the past few weeks.

Jimmy Buffett, Jim Croce, Bob Dylan...

And also, Gov't Mule came out with an album of their original studio recordings. Back when they were a three-piece powerhouse in the likes of Cream. Just magical stuff.

1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:15 pm

Was streaming some SCI this weekend since those were basically the only streams I could find. Also enjoyed a nice "Moe Floyd" set on Saturday where moe did a ton of nice Floyd tunes in their set...(even busted out Fearless). Very enjoyable.
El Bastarde

Postby hosemasterflex » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:35 am

Wings Over America 1976

Track listing (Wikipedia )

All songs written and composed by Paul McCartney & Linda McCartney, except where noted.

Side one
1. "Venus and Mars/Rock Show/Jet" 9:56
2. "Let Me Roll It" 3:51
3. "Spirits of Ancient Egypt" 4:04
4. "Medicine Jar" (Jimmy McCulloch, Colin Allen) 4:02

Side two
5. "Maybe I’m Amazed" (Paul McCartney) 5:10
6. "Call Me Back Again" 5:04
7. "Lady Madonna" (McCartney–Lennon) 2:19
8. "The Long and Winding Road" (McCartney–Lennon) 4:13
9. "Live and Let Die" 3:07

Side three
1. "Picasso’s Last Words (Drink to Me)" 1:55
2. "Richard Cory" (Paul Simon) 2:50
3. "Bluebird" 3:37
4. "I’ve Just Seen a Face" (McCartney–Lennon) 1:49
5. "Blackbird" (McCartney–Lennon) 2:23
6. "Yesterday" (McCartney–Lennon) 1:43

Side four
7. "You Gave Me the Answer" 1:47
8. "Magneto and Titanium Man" 3:11
9. "Go Now" (Larry Banks, Milton Bennett) 3:27
10. "My Love" 4:07
11. "Listen to What the Man Said" 3:18

Side five
1. "Let ’Em In" 4:02
2. "Time to Hide" (Denny Laine) 4:46
3. "Silly Love Songs" 5:46
4. "Beware My Love" 4:49

Side six
5. "Letting Go" 4:25
6. "Band on the Run" 5:03
7. "Hi, Hi, Hi" 2:57
8. "Soily" 5:10
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby willbreathes » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:02 pm

I recently heard Too Many People by McCartney for the first time. What a great song!
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:13 pm

6. "Call Me Back Again" 5:04

Such an underrated tune. Just seeing this made be fire it up for a listen...love Paul near-screaming by the end.

I recently heard Too Many People by McCartney for the first time. What a great song!

Also a great tune...almost feels like a Lennon song in a way. If you want a nice collection, check out Wingspan. Has a lot of these little gems as well as the hits.

Then there's this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBenNlNGIn8

Maybe not as big due to the bigger stuff but, man, there's some sweet songs on this.

One of the best.
El Bastarde

Postby proletariat » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:02 pm

willbreathes wrote:I recently heard Too Many People by McCartney for the first time. What a great song!

the album that is on (Paul & Linda McCartney - RAM) is, in my opinion, THE best post-Beatles album by any of the members.
proletariat

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:23 pm

Some of my favorite Beatles solo works are not conventional favorites:

Lennon: Rock 'N' Roll
McCartney: Venus & Mars
Harrison: Gone Troppo
Starr: Sentimental Journey

Currently listening to

Some guy on Yesfans trashed the album in response to a polite discussion of its merits. LOL. More for me.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby ghost » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:33 am

ghost
Human Being

Postby ghost » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:52 pm

I came here to tell you that I was listening to this (the guy was a pro skateboarder around 1990 or so):

Then I saw all the other stuff that you guys were listening to and I had to check it out. I listened to Too Many People and Call Me Back Again for the first time. I learned that I'd better get my ears on Ram before I have to stop saying I like Paul McCartney. This is one of many McCartney favorites:

More good music:
El Bastarde wrote:Image
One of the best.

Time To Move On from that Wildflowers album is a good song about change and such.
Some other songs about moving on that come to mind:

The pitter-patter drumbeat by John Bonham during the quiet parts of “Ramble On” has sparked considerable debate among drummers. Some have theorized that Bonham was hitting the sole of his shoe with drum sticks. Others say it was a plastic garbage can lid. According to Chris Welch and Geoff Nicholls in John Bonham: A Thunder of Drums, Bonzo used his bare hands to tap out those 16th notes on an empty guitar case.
From: http://www.openculture.com/2013/10/deconstructing-led-zeppelins-classic-song-ramble-on-track-by-track.html
ghost
Human Being

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion