What ELSE are you listening to now?

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: What ELSE are you listening to now?

Postby ghost » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:10 pm

EDIT: Woohoo! Top of the page!

^ I've been listening to this over and over. I now measure the passage of time in relation to the song. "Oh shit! I've been wasting time on the Oh Kee Pa for seven Catfish Johns!" It's got the perfect Grateful Dead bouncy hippy dance party guitar organ vibe. I like the lyrics too. It was written by Bob McDill and Allen Reynolds (songwriter/producer guys). Released by Johnny Russell in 1972. (I know all this from reading it just now.)

Listen to the asshole Wilburn brother introducing the guy. What the fuck? The crowd doesn't get it or doesn't want to laugh. I just learned from more reading that Johnny Russell worked for the Wilburns as a songwriter. And at the end of the clip the Wilburn and Johnny Russell talk and it seems ok. Johnny Russell even jokes about being the 5th AND 6th brother.

Fuck. Eight Catfish Johns!

OK. So I should get a job now.
ghost
Human Being

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:42 pm

Never heard the Dead version. Nice!!

Listen to the asshole Wilburn brother introducing the guy. What the fuck? The crowd doesn't get it or doesn't want to laugh.

Yeah, I have a feeling they all know each other so it was likely just some ribbing by buddies. The crowd definitely doesn't get it.

I'm seeing this fun lil jamband in Aqueous in a few weeks so I've been bumping them a lot. Liking this:

El Bastarde

Postby ghost » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:30 pm

ghost wrote:It's got the perfect Grateful Dead bouncy hippy dance party guitar organ vibe.

I think it's a piano.

ghost
Human Being

Postby booztravlr » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:22 pm

There is a lot of great stuff on here but the Playhouse Theatre show from June '69 and especially the Paris Cinema show from '71 are absolutely some of the best live LZ I've heard. Pics is a little small but you can see the LP outlay here [https://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-The-Complete-BBC-Sessions/release/9057432]. The back cover was included so you can see what the complete shows look like, before adding in the 5th LP to complete the original 4LP condensed set.
the eleven | To weird to live, to rare to die.
booztravlr
Mr Boombastic

Postby Buster » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:07 pm

Tossed on some from my girl Ani D on this rainy afternoon. Love me some Ani D.
Buster
The NorEaster

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:55 pm

Listening to lots of Fleetwood Mac, from all eras.

Just watched this hour+ twenty minute documentary on the making of the 2003 album. Totally great documentary (I think it's called "Destiny Rules"), so insightful.

Seems like Lindsey's the tortured genius who's probably overly attached to the art, and Stevie's a know-it-all controlling type whose understanding of Lindsey seems obscured by her knee-jerk oppositions to his ideas in general.

I dig Stevie Nicks to a point, but it's hard for me to not see her as a classic self absorbed diva. What do I know though. She's probably fine, lol.

I did come away from the documentary feeling badly for Lindsey, because in the end he didn't get his way (wanted it to be a double LP), and the band ended up suffering over the disagreements in the studio (they cut the tour short and decided not to do a followup album).

So I just put on Say You Will here at work, really cool album, if you can remember to not expect it to rival the heyday.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:52 pm

Say You Will is a nice album but I remember thinking it had too many songs as it was...kind of humorous that Lindsay wanted it even longer since I'd agree with the rest of the band on that much. They did, however, have an "extended LP" that came out a few years later with like 3 or 4 songs so maybe those were the extra tunes that were cut. Overall, I'd imagine the whole band has egos so it's no surprise to see them butt heads a bit.
El Bastarde

Postby ghost » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:58 pm

ghost
Human Being

Postby willbreathes » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:19 pm

Just listened to Ænima while dealing with snow this morning... its a fucking inspiration for Stranger Things. Went online... found this:

At least I am not the only crazy one.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby ghost » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:32 am

ghost
Human Being

Postby ghost » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:14 pm

ghost
Human Being

Postby ghost » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:20 pm

So there's this New Zealand band called The Black Seeds, that had a song in Breaking Bad, and the lead singer is one of the guys from Flight of the Conchords (which I haven't seen) and another guy in the band is named Mike Fabulous and he also goes by Lord Echo and makes this music:

EDIT: Flight of the Conchords is good.

And here's that Black Seeds song:

ghost
Human Being

Postby ghost » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:36 pm

ghost
Human Being

Postby ghost » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:28 pm

ghost
Human Being

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:01 pm

New Umphrey's album. Not bad but it falls short due to two things that are common jamband foibles:

-The jamband thing of how I've heard half of these songs already since they've been in the live rotation for a few years already. It's nice to hear crisp versions of them but it's hard to get excited over "new" songs when they feel old. Phish has had this happen for a few albums...it's why I couldn't get into Farmhouse when it came out.

-The jamband tends to want to separate itself from its live component and just do "studio songs" which is cool...but they tend to go too far and many of the songs are close to 3-min and feel over before they begin...one of them even ends with a guitar solo that is then quickly faded away. Hey guys, it's okay to put a solo or two on the studio...you don't have to save EVERY one for the live shows.
El Bastarde

Postby SirChompsAlot » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:09 pm

I've lived in South Bend and Chicago for the past 17 years and I've never seen Umphrey's. Hell, I'm not even that familiar with their stuff. I've listened to maybe 8-10 songs on youtube, and this is the only one that I enjoyed...

Any other songs you might recommend?

Also to your studio vs live comment, I have friends who are Phish fans who never listen to the albums, one in particular who has seen them 50+ times. That's crazy to me, but to each his own I suppose.
SirChompsAlot

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:10 pm

Umphreys's definitely isn't for everyone. They definitely go more proggy with some songs, have a lot of emo lyrics, and tend to dip into more metal sound for some jams. But, dang, they're talented and usually have a sick light show, only second to Phish from what I've seen. The live shows are just off the hook.

Nice pull on Triple Wide since that's a sweet one. I like Wappy Sprayberry and they have a new tune called Draconian that has slays basically every time they bust it out. I also love Cemetary Walk, August, Mantis, and Divisions. All In Time and In the Kitchen are two of their more "normal rock songs" that usually slay live. Their best studio albums for me are Mantis and Anchor Drops.

Also to your studio vs live comment, I have friends who are Phish fans who never listen to the albums, one in particular who has seen them 50+ times. That's crazy to me, but to each his own I suppose.

Yeah, I see some who seem to brag about this but I don't get it either. It's nice to hear the "raw" version of a song to know how a band builds onto that in a live show.
El Bastarde

Postby ghost » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:37 pm

ghost
Human Being

Postby SirChompsAlot » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:22 pm

El Bastarde wrote:Also to your studio vs live comment, I have friends who are Phish fans who never listen to the albums, one in particular who has seen them 50+ times. That's crazy to me, but to each his own I suppose.

Yeah, I see some who seem to brag about this but I don't get it either. It's nice to hear the "raw" version of a song to know how a band builds onto that in a live show.

Well, for me, being somewhat of a fake assed fan, I'd call it the "clean" version. So pretty much like you said, I have a starting point of what the original composition was then see what they are able to do with it while they explore it in a live show.

Thanks for the Umphrey's recs, I liked those two songs that you shared. Overall I like their sound musically, but the singer's voice kinda sucks and I end up not really paying attention to the lyrics.

Another band that I've seen videos of that I thought had a great light show was the Disco Biscuits. I can't find the particular performance I saw, but I remember it having a more lasers or thin light beams than most typical stage shows. Anyways, I liked the performance, they were funky, but the more of their stuff I listened to, I thought they were just so-so.

Edit, this is kind of what I was thinking of, about 31 mins into this video (or really, just the preview image)...

SirChompsAlot

Postby ghost » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:37 pm

ghost
Human Being

Postby willbreathes » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:50 pm

1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby ghost » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:44 pm

ghost
Human Being

Postby SirChompsAlot » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:27 pm

SirChompsAlot