Careful on that ladder...

Anything non-Phish related.

Postby misterh » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:18 pm

I have an old ladder at home. My electrician called it "The Widowmaker" when he first laid eyes on it.
misterh

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby SuperJay » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:35 pm

Thanks for relating your experiences, Ghost. Even for those of us who don't habitually stand on ladders, it's a pretty eye-opening account. I really hope you continue to get better. Don't worry too much about finding your "direction" in life... most of us are just making it up as we go along anyway. Some call it slackingl; Phish does the same thing and they call it improvisation. I like their word better. :D
SuperJay

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Careful on that ladder...

Postby ghost » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:53 am

Five years.

Still no new job/career.

No school for now. Just a stay-at-home-dad.

Same double vision and dizziness. Woefully out of shape and a little too doughy.

Don't know what to think about being back in Texas.

But Phish in Austin next month. Score.

The OKP still kicks ass.
ghost
Human Being

Postby fone » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:42 pm

I can't believe you still experience symptoms from that fall. Nothing can be done about that?

I have another Phish friend who is a stay-at-home dad, and he has a license to practise law, taboot. But his wife, who is an international tax attorney making close to a half mil a year, and he agreed that he should raise the kids.
Here's your ticket pack your bag
Time for jumpin' overboard
The transportation is here
Close enough but not too far,
Maybe you know where you are
Fightin' fire with fire
fone
The Sage

Postby willbreathes » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:08 pm

1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby ghost » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:28 am

Nine years

Keeps getting further in the past, but always right there on my mind. I see the giant scar across my head everytime I look in the mirror. I feel the dents in my skull when I touch my head. Constant double vision is something that I don't think will ever become the accepted norm. It will always bother me. Same with the dizziness. And, Fone, nothing can be done about it.

But to still be breathing the air is a wonderful thing. To be capable of caring for myself, and others, it a very appreciated thing. My personal reference for what is shitty was definitely reset far into the realm of shittiness. Life is good. Stuff isn't really that bad.

And the OKP is the best. I don't have a lot of time these days for coming around here, but, when I do, it's awesome just like it always was.

Full moon today too. It's been a good day.
ghost
Human Being

Postby willbreathes » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:14 pm

Holy moley, nine years!

Glad you is still around, good sir.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby willbreathes » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:14 pm

willbreathes wrote:Excellent ghost! Here is to MANY MORE 6 months!

and more, and more, and more 6 months!
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:33 pm

Wow, I had forgotten about this whole story. Glad to see Ghost is still positive, but then again, you kinda have to be. Hope to see you around more, buddy.
El Bastarde

Postby piper » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:24 pm

ghost wrote:......nothing can be done about it.

Medical Marijuana?
piper

Postby ghost » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:51 pm

So, yeah, falling off a ladder. Fuck. Today is 10 years to the day. For years I just felt a sense of loss for the me and the life that came before. Now I feel sad that I'm moving on and forgetting that me and that life. Whatever. Can't go back. Can't stand still.

::digs out Garcia to listen to The Wheel::

I graduated from West Texas A&M University in December 2000 with a bachelor's degree in Fire Safety and Protection. I wanted to be a firefighter. I had taken an EMT class, but I never got certified. When I started looking for a job, everyone else wanted to be a firefighter after 9/11. I took 3 fire department tests in Northern Illinois around 2002. I did well on the tests, but lots of other people did too. I was way down the list. I moved to Texas at the end of 2003. I took the test for the Denton Fire Department early in 2005. Then the Fort Worth Fire Department announced a test. I had always thought that I would work in a smaller, suburban fire department. Applying and taking the test seemed like more of a fun thing to do. I wasn't getting my hopes up because there were lots of other people taking the test also. I got my info in the mail:

The test was in a huge room. On the way in we drew random numbers out of a box. Those numbers, along with our test scores, would determine our place on the hiring list.

Someone called me the next week to tell me that I was 27 on the list. (I was told that they were going to hire 32 people from the list.) I got this in the mail shortly after:

So I was surprised, excited, nervous, thrilled, and much more. It was still very early in the hiring process, but I had gotten over that testing/random number wall. I felt like I could just keep trying hard and doing my best and the plan would come together.

There was a practice session for the physical ability test. I did well on that.

I had this and I was just waiting to complete the next step

On September 8 I fell off a ladder at work as a carpenter. I landed on my head a wooden fence first. It left dents in my skull and tore my scalp open from ear to ear over the top of my head. Then I landed on my head on the concrete.

The Fort Worth Fire Department was notified.

And that's where my firefighter dream ends. It still flickers as a forgotten memory in my smashed head.

::plays sad trombone sound on imaginary trombone::

I apologize for keeping this self-absorbed thread going. Treat it as a cautionary tale about not falling off ladders and becoming a loon. I had just joined the OKP in June 2005. When I was spending a lot of time by myself at the end of 2005 and in 2006, the OKP was a big part of it. I was looking back on my life to get an idea of who I was and what I was worth and what anything meant. Threads about Hawaii and skateboarding and Calvin and Hobbes (EDIT: someone else started that thread.) and The Far Side and whatever other crazy shit I thought about were just me sharing my favorite things with all of you. (I also had lots of time to listen to Phish. I had never downloaded a show before. I was blown away by all of the Phish music right there for anyone and everyone. I listened to 100s of shows. It was definitely a step up for me in Phish listening and Phish knowledge.)

So thanks everyone for being awesome and coming around here too.
Last edited by ghost on Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ghost
Human Being

Postby hosemasterflex » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:10 pm

Don't stop bumping this thread
... Just stop bumping your head?
:wave:
I think it's an awesome story of survival and of life and loss, no apology necessary mang.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby willbreathes » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:27 am

Love you, good sir.

willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:14 pm

Way to be an inspiration Eli!!

Hope your noggin is feeling slightly better and never forget all that you've accomplished.

Here's to 100 more years of bumping this thread :clap:
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:22 pm

Treat it as a cautionary tale about not falling off ladders and becoming a loon.

Dang it...I'm already a loon. It's too late.

Still, I kinda like the scans of the paperwork as a visual aid. It's kinda fun reading that stuff and getting a peep into the firefighter business.

And hey...we've had a few folks here with staples in their head so it's nice to see you guys doing better...it can certainly brighten a day.
El Bastarde

Postby fone » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:15 pm

Eli, we have the power to look at the events in our lives and make of them what we will.

You have those two fine sons who have had the great gift of your everyday presence in their formative years. Putting out fires is certainly a noble occupation, but look at what you have accomplished by not being one. Your boys will become so much more than they would have been had you been gone for days on end and they were left in day care during those early years.

Yeah, putting out fires can be a life saving venture, but most of the time, your just saving things. Your boys are life everlasting when you think about it and your influence on them has much more meaning if you ask me.

Besides, it's nice having you around here taboot.
Here's your ticket pack your bag
Time for jumpin' overboard
The transportation is here
Close enough but not too far,
Maybe you know where you are
Fightin' fire with fire
fone
The Sage

Postby Katiemay » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:12 pm

Eli, the double vision thing must be horrendous. I can see where you'd never get used to it. I'm glad it doesn't stop you from being able to participate here. You're a great contributor and an asset to the Pa, truly.

I have had some experience with life events that left me mourning for what could have been as well, but we have to keep reminding ourselves that what's done is done. I will say, even people who didn't have such a terrible accident and lose so much, feel they have lost who they once were and who they wanted to become. I think that may be a common sentiment with many as we get older, despite individual circumstances. I'm glad for you that the parts of your brain that make you, you weren't damaged and that you have gone on to be a wonderful husband and father. Everything Bill said, I second. You are giving your sons an invaluable gift.
Katiemay

Postby ghost » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:32 am

11 years

Time flies when you're not dead

Your comments are always appreciated

I hope you are all also loving riding on this giant rock through space and time

OKP forever
ghost
Human Being

Postby ghost » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:59 pm

12 years

Here's a that-time-I-fell-on-my-head fun fact:
In 2012 my oldest son Wyatt started going to preschool. His best friend was Austin. Turns out, Austin's dad was the lead paramedic on the ambulance that pulled up that day. I said thank you. We discussed how he had seen my skull. :o :thumbup:

::puts on helmet::
ghost
Human Being

Postby Katiemay » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:14 pm

Still glad to be counting along with you. Thanks for sticking around. This is a great 'put things in perspective' thread.
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:45 pm

This is a great 'put things in perspective' thread.

Makes me think twice when climbing ladders, at least. :mrgreen:
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:49 pm

Katiemay wrote:Still glad to be counting along with you. Thanks for sticking around. This is a great 'put things in perspective' thread.

Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby ghost » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:56 am

15 years

::scratches mark into wall::
ghost
Human Being

Previous