Careful on that ladder...

Anything non-Phish related.

Postby ghost » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:17 am

I still have no memories of the initial three weeks after the accident. I woke up at about 7 that morning. I started work at 8. I didn't fall until about 10:00. The last thing I remember is going to sleep the night before. I think your body/mind puts all energy into a healing type of mode. Storing memories is way down the list. I was awake and reactive for those three weeks, but I just don't remember. I responded to people talking to me. I could follow directions...squeeze fingers and stuff. I wrote a couple sentences about how much some of the hospital staff sucked. :) Once the tubes were removed from my throat I talked a little. I don't remember any of that. I think I was always in my body...memories were just not a priority. I didn't have any visions of a light or floating above the room or anything. I had dreams that I remember. When I described the dreams to my sister she said that the people in my dreams were just like the various nurses and doctors and people at the hospital. So none of the people entered my memory, but they were in my dreams. I can't begin to explain how that works. I also dreampt about being tied to the bed, and I actually had restraints on my wrists to keep me from pulling out my tubes. The only vague shadow of a memory I do have is the nurse shaving my face. They needed a smooth surface for parts of the tubes to stick to. I remember pain and the sound of a razor scraping across my face. If I only recall the pain of being shaved through this whole experience, it must have hurt. I don't like shaving anyway.
ghost
Human Being

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby dmcnul91 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:21 am

i'm taking a class on existentialism this term, and this morning we were talking about some of the common aspects of the philosophy. one of them was that in order to exist, you have to be conscious of your being. its very interesting to think that you dont really exist if you dont think or dont know that you are aware of yourself. just something to think about...
dmcnul91
Prep School Hippie

Postby ghost » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:46 am

Poor Pablo

That's three people having basically the same experience (falling headfirst onto a hard surface.) Three different outcomes. Who knows all the contributing factors and etc, etc. Let me tell you, it's all quite an experience. (Except for Pablo...that's the end of an experience.) I'm just glad that I didn't die...and that the president didn't call me.
ghost
Human Being

Postby ghost » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:53 am

I think that praying for someone is not the way to go about it. You should just focus on that person and send good vibes and good thoughts to them. There is no need to direct that to a "god" (to the clouds where he sits on a throne with the Care Bears, to another plane, to another dimension, etc.) If there is a "god", I don't think that he/she/it needs some human to alert him/her/it to another human in trouble. It all seems crazy. Just send good thoughts directly to the person. I know lots of people were thinking about me/praying for me. I'd like to think that it helped.
ghost
Human Being

Postby antellama » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:01 am

dude, how was your beard affected by this accident? it would be a shame to wreck something so awesome.
tlSd
antellama
TLD

Postby ghost » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:11 am

The beard started growing after the accident. The nurses shaved me in the hospital a couple times. Once I was "awake" and conscious of what was going on I certainly did not want to shave. I still don't want to shave.
ghost
Human Being

Postby marley » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:10 am

i'm taking a class on existentialism this term, and this morning we were talking about some of the common aspects of the philosophy. one of them was that in order to exist, you have to be conscious of your being. its very interesting to think that you dont really exist if you dont think or dont know that you are aware of yourself. just something to think about...

In other words, if we chose not to be aware of yem, then he won't exist anymore?
#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Postby ghost » Fri May 12, 2006 12:15 am

8 months. Coming right along. It gets better everyday. I think it will be a full 2 years before I'm back to normal. Activities like ice skating will be beyond that. I just have to relearn everything.

Here is a cat scan from when I first got to the hospital on September 8th. A ventilator tube down my throat doing all the breathing. Some staples across my scalp from closing the laceration up initially. A creepy picture. Traumatic injury. I was very close to being physically dead. When I first arrived at the hospital they just followed procedure and notified the organ donor department. "Sorry, folks...I still need these organs."

This is the initial operating room report.

This is the scar on my head now. Most of it is under my hairline.

ghost
Human Being

Postby antellama » Fri May 12, 2006 12:19 am

huh... I always thought beards were catscannable.

anyways good to see you are better.
tlSd
antellama
TLD

Postby famusmockingbird » Thu May 25, 2006 10:16 pm

so hre's a question. do you siwtch what eye the patch is on? doesnt the eye patch prevent you from recovering your double vision? i had convergence and tracking problems with my eyes for hte longest time. my eyes would split regularly. i went to like 2 years of vision therapy for it and now am kinda better. my eyes still drift eveyr once in a while though.
famusmockingbird
Your Phaithful Phriend

Postby neck » Thu May 25, 2006 10:29 pm

holy shit...i knew you fell...had no idea of the laceration and jackson-pratt drains and whatnot...

good god, man...i fell off a roof onto my back and i thought that i was injured bad...damn, eli...

just...just...damn.
neck
Third Eye Warrior

Postby ghost » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:05 am

^^ Famusmockingbird, I do switch the eyepatch. Usually every week or so. I just like to give both eyes a chance to see. Sometimes I don't wear the eyepatch at all. It's just confusing. PM me and tell me more about your experiences with eye therapy. My double vision hasn't changed at all in almost 11 months. Surgery is an option in the future, but I hate to have someone cutting on my eye muscles.

^Yeah, Neck...this was all pretty fucked up. Damn is right.
ghost
Human Being

Postby ghost » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:25 am

I hate to be a whiner, but it's great to have the Oh Kee Pa and this thread to talk about my whole experience. It means a lot to me that I sorta have a place here.

I wore this for about two months after I first "woke up." It was to support my upper body and keep me from aggravating my fractured vertebrae and slightly cracked sternum. Anytime I wasn't in bed I was wearing this. Even in the shower. I was so glad to finally be free of it.

My Dad put up another handrail so I could hold on tight going up and down the stairs. I still do need to hold on...at least one hand.

My Dad also put up bars for me to hold onto in the shower.

For about the first seven months I had to shower sitting down. Even now standing on one foot requires leaning against the wall, but the shower seat has been banished to the basement. Yes!

The walkers have also found a new home in the basement. I had one for downstairs and outside and one for upstairs.

I walk around the house without anything, but I use a cane when I go out somewhere. This cane had been hanging on the backporch at my grandparents' house long before I was ever around. No one can remember where it came from. No one remembers ever using it. It is the perfect height for me. So weird.
ghost
Human Being

Postby gregradiohead » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:05 pm

What an intense experience. We're all glad you're doing better!!
gregradiohead
Goderator

Postby dmcnul91 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:18 pm

ghost, ive worked for the past three summers at a managed care organization. im basically just an intern. but i get to see all these worker's comp files about all these people who have had these terrible accidents at work. im just curious, and you certaintly dont have to share it, but did you have to go through the whole workers comp thing??? im just curious, because i have no idea how long that process is or how difficult it might be for someone who actually had to go through it.
dmcnul91
Prep School Hippie

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:30 pm

^^ I work at an insurance agency and see WC claims come through all the time. Some fly by like the wind and others can drag on for years. I really depends on how liable the workplace is for the injuries and if one insurance company wants to sue another, back and forth
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Postby sillyrabbit » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:58 pm

I went through the work comp claim process when I was a snowboard instructor at copper mountain in colorado. I tore my ACL & meniscus and had to have surgery to repair. The claims person at coper's insurance company was horrible, and I had to fight with her for everything that I deserved. I bet these people are instructed to try and save the company money, and if you are not well-educated on the system, you might not get what you deserve. I was able to finally get compensated for lost wages at the 2 jobs I had at the time, but man what a pain in the ass.
sillyrabbit

Postby ghost » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:00 pm

No workman's comp for me. The guy I was working for had just split off from a larger company about a week before I got hurt. He was in the process of registering his business for tax purposes and stuff. It was just me and one other guy working for him. The whole thing was truly just an accident. No one was at fault. I see no need to sue someone or pursue money for no reason. I did apply for Social Security disability benefits, but I was denied. Now I have some law firm in Chicago handling the appeal process. That's all still in the works. It's good that my parents are able to house and feed me. It would suck to be recovering in a box in an alley and digging food out of a dumpster.
ghost
Human Being

Postby ghost » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:44 pm

One year yesterday. Woo-Hoo! I'm still improving everyday. It's only a matter of time before I'm climbing trees and playing hockey and doing hundreds of other things that I love to do. This place or planet or universe or dimension or whatever is magical. Appreciate every moment. Let every breath completely fill your lungs. Be in touch with yourself and know that you and everything else are all made up of the same stardust here in this physical place. Oh yeah...and listen to Phish. Lots of Phish. Surrender to the flow.
ghost
Human Being

Postby Desmond The Family Berzerker » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:09 pm

^Amen Brah!I just read this post this afternoon. I started reading it thinking this happened just recently,but realized quickly it happened a year ago.

Anyway glad to hear you're doing better and have positive vibrations.

Keep em coming
Summer 2010- Hartford 6/17-18, SPAC 6/19-20, Great Woods 6/21, Camden 6/24-25, Jones Beach 8/17-18
Desmond The Family Berzerker

Postby the Sloth » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:31 pm

good luck with all of this Ghost! I hope you get a full recovery ASAP...

stay strong bro
the Sloth
Mr. Rip Van Winklin'

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ghost » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:50 pm

Four years. The double vision and the dizziness are still constant. I get social security benefits and Medicare. (I'm certainly not helping this whole health care issue.) It's not enough money for anyone. Jamie is carrying the load while I figure my shit out. (She has been incredible.) I've been taking some college classes to help me decide what the hell I'm going to do. I'm still not sure. I'm applying for some graduate programs.

Ah, rats.

But I am alive. And it all could be much, much worse.

And Phish is back. Did you hear?

ghost
Human Being

Postby nanook » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:58 pm

wow, i just read this whole thread. it actually scared me a little. i'm an electrician and climb ladders everyday to hang light fixtures and stuff. mostly just four and six foot ladders but sometimes we have to use 10,12, and 16 footers for higher ceilings. and for the flood lights outside we have to use a 40 ft extention ladder on the three story houses. i'll definitely be more aware of what i'm doing next time i think about standing too high up on one.

hope you continue to get better.

nanook
Universal Mind

Postby ghost_2000 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:39 am

Be careful out there you crazy bastards.

All the best, Eli!

:)
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby Atoms » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:43 am

Here's to hoping there are no more ladder related injuries on the pa.
we are all being pursed. some have been found, some are still running. some will keep running until they get to the end of the road, straight off the proverbial cliff. you don't have to turn back, you just have to turn around.
Atoms
The Awoken

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion