Star Wars

Anything non-Phish related.

Star Wars

Postby bhuji2 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:02 pm

Star Wars is what it is. I think people rip on the acting in the prequels, but generally the acting is overblown and the dialogue is ridiculous in the original series, too. I like Star Wars because it is like a B-Movie with a million $$$ budget. When Anakin becomes Darth Vader, it is totally "Frankenstein". I think people have such an overwhelming response because the symbolism works, however rudimentary.
bhuji2

Star Wars

Postby gregradiohead » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:16 am

The problem is that the original trilogy didn't take itself seriously--it had elements of humor. The new trilogy tried to have this but they overplayed their hand with Jar-Jar and his entire species. The acting in the original trilogy may not be Oscar worthy, but it wasn't meant to be. The people in the new trilogy are just trying too hard and the material sucks to boot.
gregradiohead
Goderator

Blog: View Blog (0)

Star Wars

Postby goldphish » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:11 am

Qui-gon Jinn is my hero... a far-seeing jedi, non-conformist, and so in tune with the force he was able to be humble enough to truly read its phlow and act on it better than any jedi... as evidence of this he learned to commune with it as to achieve immortality after death. This was unprecedented in the order and revealed him as a true master. I'm in love with him.
goldphish
White Mountain Scallop

Blog: View Blog (2)

Star Wars

Postby yem » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:48 am

Episode III is very good. The first two I did not really enjoy. Return of the Jedi is easily the best.
yem

Star Wars

Postby longhairs » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:04 am

I just rented and watched the Revenfge of the Sith, and it sucked! I felt liek I was watching a video game rather than a movie. Why does Padme die at the end? Because she's lost the will to live? Yeah right, with twins on the way she has nothing to live for. Please.

Computer graphics were out of hand, and the story was way too fast. Anakin turns to the Dark Side in like 20 minutes of the movie. You'd think he would be smarter than that. Oh yeah, and why would the Jedi Council need Anakin to spy for them when they have security cameras everywhere? These are all huge plot holes that made for one crappy movie. Nothing can beat the first Star Wars movie with Han Solo and the canteena (spelling?) scene and the Millenium Falcon and all that. That suff was a lot cooler than the tripe George Lucas vomits today.
longhairs

Star Wars

Postby longhairs » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:05 am

I just read my above post and realized I am a dork.
longhairs

Star Wars

Postby willbreathes » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:52 pm

^ About your 'turning to the Dark Side in 20 minutes' comment... Didn't it take 2 movies and twenty minutes to turn to the Dark Side?

And I realize I am also a dork, because I am arguing something I do not even know about.

Carry on people.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Star Wars

Postby marley » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:26 pm

I think Luke is 18 in IV (the origninal one). He's complaining that he's old enough to get into the Academy, which makes him 18 or 21 (I forgot which) but Unlce Owen says he wants to keep him on for one more season. Then Luke complains that he'll never get off the planet.
#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Star Wars

Postby goldphish » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:54 pm

Okay here I go and I'll answer your questions as I see them but obviously I'm a minority in liking the prequels and an obvious dork as well (See above post about Qui-gon... or any of my post for that matter ;))

I felt liek I was watching a video game rather than a movie.

There is some merit to that statement as every location in the movie is either entirely or partially digital... but this is SW and that sort of thing is expected... if you want realism in your locales watch LotR.

Why does Padme die at the end? Because she's lost the will to live? Yeah right, with twins on the way she has nothing to live for. Please.

Fair judgement but I see two things going on here. One is she is totally and untterly in love with Anakin... whether you buy this or not is another issue that deals with EpII as many think their love couldn't have possibly developed like this with a few rolls in the grass.. nevertheless it has.... for the storys sake. You have to know a bit about love to understand a little of the heartbreak Padme is experienceing at the end of this film. Not only has she lost her husband but she lost the republic as well (which she loved just about as much) Anakin commited terrible deeds and brought about the downfall of the rebublic... which was her lifes work. Call her weak, call her selfish but outside of the twins her entire life crumbled.

The other being he did almost kill her with the force choke... this couldv'e left her in a weakened state when coupled with the loss she was feeling just couldn't overcome.

So anyway no one may buy this or not and I kinda felt the same way... the prequels are by no means perfect. I've yet to read the "Sith' novelization which may shed a little light on this issue.

Computer graphics were out of hand, and the story was way too fast.

The story did move very fast... watch 'Goblet of Fire' for another fast film... loved it tho.

Anakin turns to the Dark Side in like 20 minutes of the movie. You'd think he would be smarter than that.

Haha... this is what the whole movie... the whole series was about! The rise, fall and redemption of Darth Vader. So Will is right, it took 2 movies and 20 minutes for him to turn... In a nut shell Anakin chose to follow his fear and hope rather than rely on his jedi teachings and trust his teachers. He was nudged in no small part by bad friends... the Dark Lord... who used him as a pawn and cared nothing for his well-being. His fear of losing Padme constricted his mind to the point of insanity. Yoda said it best... "You must learn to let go of that which you are afraid to lose." Also the more power he gained the stonger his lust for power grew. He started to realize he might have the power to save Padme, then have the power to overthorw the republic, then have the power to overthrow Palpatine and be in complete control. All these thoughts culminated in his spontaneous act of cutting of Mace Windus arm. Once he did that he realized there was no going back and he gave himself over to the dark path... with gusto but all along he knew he wasn't doing the right thing... and it took Luke in EpVI for him to finally realize it.

Whew! that was alot to say... anyway I'm no authority on this stuff and I'm sure I'm missing some points.

Oh yeah, and why would the Jedi Council need Anakin to spy for them when they have security cameras everywhere?

The security cameras are not going to give the jedi a glimpse of the inner most thoughts of Palpatine... Palps was not stupid enough to talk openly of his plans to take over... esp in front of security cameras... they thought they needed Anakin to try and get some inside dirt.

Hows that for dorkiness!!!!
goldphish
White Mountain Scallop

Star Wars

Postby longhairs » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:49 pm

Wow that's pretty dorky. A couple of things:

There were scenes in the movie that were entirely created on computers. That is not cool. I have no empathy for a computer created character in a computer created situation. I just don't. I am speaking mainly of Yoda, who I really wanted to root for and like, but his artificiality was just too much. I didn;t buy it. I don't think that is expected in Star Wars either, considerring that the first 3 movies were made with little or no computer graphics.

Second, Padme's death. I like to think I know a little about love, considering I am married, and going beyond that, I know that the love of and inherent responsibility for a child would trump everything. And if it was the loss of Anakin/the Republic that made her sad enough to die, then what's at fault here is the writing and acting. There wasn't enough development of their marriage, or longing for one another, or her dissapointment, it was all phoned in. It's just inconcievable that a mother would rather die than raise her kid(s).

Third; I get the whole 'Anakin losing his way' thing. I just thoughth that the Jedi would've been smart enough to see what was coming or at least plan for it. I thought we were to understand Yoda as this Master of all Jedi dude who was extrememly wise and somewhat clairvoyant (spelling). I guess he was just another dude. Also, I agree that the whole series is leading up to Anakin turning to the Dark Side, but I don't think the other movies were specifically ABOUT him turning. I think that was the main point of Revenge of the Sith. That being said, you have to admit it did only take like 3 or 4 scenes and some gentle prodding by Palpatine to turn Anakin over. Again, the acting and writing are probably at fault.

The security camera thing - If you remember, Obi Wan Kenobi watches a hologram of Anakin kneeling before Palpatine and pledging himself to the Dark Side. "Getting a glimpse of Palpatines inner most thoughts" would not have been necessary, because there were scenes of him talking to Anakin pretty openly about what the plans were; what he wanted from Anakin, etc.

All in all, I'm glad I didn't sit through this movie in a theater. I wasted enough money renting the damn thing. At no point did I feel exhilirated from a great story or cool action sequence (like I felt when I first saw the first 3 movies). I think that all 3 of the prequels were unneccessary, except for a rekindled buzz about Star Wars that translated into large amounts of money. But, what else should I have expected?

Peace.

longhairs

Star Wars

Postby bhuji2 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:25 pm

I think one of the reasons that people hate the prequels so much is that they aren't children anymore. People fall in love with some mythical sci-fi movie (and it's many related products) when they are children and then expect to respond to the newer movies the same way they did to the originals, only now they are watching from the adult perspective. I think all Star Wars movies are melodramatic, unrealistic, and I think the dialogue sounds cheesy. It's hysterical to me that people get worked up about the little things, like inconsistencies in how people age.
bhuji2

Star Wars

Postby goldphish » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:49 pm

^true bhuji... it easy to take things out of perspective... also I like to look at the postive when it comes to critiquing movies where others just love to pick movies apart. Its a matter of approach and attitude.

-Longhairs I'm just to worn out to respond again to all that stuff. If you don't like the movie than now you know not to waste your time watching it again... Personally I love the shit out of them and looking forward to reading the 'Sith' trilogy..."Labryinth of Evil", "Revenge of the Sith", and "Dark Lord Rising" as I'm a total tooly dorky SW fan:)

EDIT: To quote the end of the "Sith" novel...

"The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins- but in the heart of its stength lies weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars."

Haha thats cooool;)
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goldphish
White Mountain Scallop

Star Wars

Postby grabs666 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:31 pm

Here is the perfect complement to our serious star wars debate:

http://www.angryalien.com/1205/starwarsbuns.asp

ITs the movie in 30 seconds, reenacted by bunnies! Enjoy!
grabs666
Satan

Star Wars

Postby cemeteryroses » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:36 am

Hah hah. That's great.

Have you seen the bunny reenactment to 'The Exorsist'?
cemeteryroses
Angel

Star Wars

Postby willbreathes » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:44 am

Haha... The funny thing is those are the only parts of the movie I can remember... I should watch these movies more, or maybe I shouldn't...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Star Wars

Postby cemeteryroses » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:50 am

Some of them are good...(shrugs)
cemeteryroses
Angel

Star Wars

Postby longhairs » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:14 am

goldphish - I hope you don't think I was baiting you or something. I just get really worked up sometimes over what I consider bad movies, then I also get reallhy worked up over a really good movie.

So, no hard feelings - enjoy the books.

Peace
longhairs

Star Wars

Postby goldphish » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:20 pm

^Oh no hard feelings at all my phishy... albiet SW hating phriend :):) I wouldn't mind going over it and handing you my thoughts but that takes time which is scarce right now *sigh*:P My cars brakes almost caiught fire on the way to work yesterday... wahooo!

An peace be with you also long hair ship riding quebec bound associate:)
goldphish
White Mountain Scallop

Star Wars

Postby mikesaidno » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:40 pm

I just saw Episode III last night for the first time. It was ok. I don't know. It seemed a bit corny. I never knew Lord Vader got his legs cut off. Haha, that was funny. I prefer the classics.
mikesaidno
Swerkski Superfan

Star Wars

Postby UB-40 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:19 pm

As of 2 days ago, I have 1-6 lined up on my DVD shelf. It's beautiful.
#∞
You are a person who is high class. You are a person not in my class.
UB-40

Star Wars

Postby yem » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:48 pm

I have a plush faggot on my dashboard.
yem

Star Wars

Postby grabs666 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:30 am

^What the hell does that mean, and what the fuck is your problem?
grabs666
Satan

Star Wars

Postby willbreathes » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:30 am

I don't know Star Wars at all... what in the world is a plush faggot?
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Star Wars

Postby Fugazi » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:29 am

GOLDPHISHm is spot on....movies are meant to tell a story not to be COOL...tell the story they did.......and star wars has so MANY different levels to it......if it suck on one level it most def succeeds on the others
Fugazi

Star Wars

Postby goldphish » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:41 pm

^thanks pal:)... the stories are very deep and I think perhaps many people can't actually connect with the tragedy in them. How many of us have totally and irreversibly destroyed our life? How many of us have tasted the pang of true regret? How many of us have suffered terrible loss? This isn't to say that one can't use ones own intellect to garner appreciation and I'm sure many people have avoided big mistakes in life and can totally appreciate the depth of the story.... but many will think the films crass. They are not. They are very subtle. Anakin betrayed and turned on those he loved most as well as mowing down anyone that got in his way...all the while thinking he was doing the right thing. That is the deep tragedy of the story. It is actually terribly sad. I think many people miss this or perhaps are too afraid to contemplate its meaning.... but even the wookies understood what was at stake;) The good thing is by understanding how he went wrong we may be able to avoid such mistakes in our own life. Its rare to find a meanigful story.... but they are always the best.
goldphish
White Mountain Scallop

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion