Star Wars

Anything non-Phish related.

Star Wars

Postby gregradiohead » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:23 pm

We all knew this would happen eventually.
It is my contention that the original trilogy varies in quality from merely good to kick ass to slightly embarassing, depending on the scene.
It is my contention that the new trilogy varies in quality from terrible to slightly cool, and that the animated series made by Cartoon Network about the Clone Wars rocks your face.
I'm getting a little vaklempt thinking about the end of Return of the Jedi....discuss amongst yourselves....I'll give you a topic: Chewbacca is neither a chew nor a bacca...
gregradiohead
Goderator

Blog: View Blog (0)

Star Wars

Postby willbreathes » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:27 pm

I like the original three, as never huge into them however. I think the last time I watched them was when they rereleased them in the movie theatres in '97 or '98?

The new ones are pretty pitiful from my eyes. The third one was the best, but that doesn't really mean too much I suppose.

Never seen the Cartoon Network show, is it worth searching out for the casual fan?

And Chewbacca is a Chewb and an Acca.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Star Wars

Postby vernixx » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:41 pm

The PREQUEL Star Wars movies are fucking terrible. Poorly written, poorly executed, and made strictly as a cash-in on the popularity and cult status of the original Trilogy. It's obvious!

I'm embarrassed to say I have seen all three of the new Star Wars movies and didn't LIKE any of them. They're all pretty dismall.
vernixx

Star Wars

Postby vernixx » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:42 pm

That being said.........the CARTOON NETWORK Clone Wars is freakin' awesome!
vernixx

Star Wars

Postby goldphish » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:08 pm

Boooooo Vernixxx!!!! Well we all see it differently. Really the story of the prequel follows two themes: how a democracy becomes a dictatorship and how a good person goes bad. In context of shedding light on these two subjects the prequels did a superbly fantastic job culminating in "Sith" which imo is the best film of all six. The themes are deep and delve into philosophy that most veiwers will simply miss hence the casual viewer notices more the bad acting, shoddy lines, poor directing... all the material stuff but the meat, the essence of the story is missed. Once the essence is grasped then the acting and directing makes sense... each line and every move is deliberate all culminating in the fall of a hero and a government. It parallels real world tragedy. Saying it sucks off-handedly is like saying phish is just like the dead and hence a rip-off... which from someone who misunderstands phish music the statement is entirely plauseable!

I will defend SW till the end:):):) Foshizzle :P
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goldphish
White Mountain Scallop

Blog: View Blog (2)

Star Wars

Postby Funky Begonia » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:12 pm

i never saw any of the star wars. they were never able to hold my attention for some reason. i think i saw part of the first one once.
Funky Begonia
Third Eye Warrior

Star Wars

Postby Buster » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:16 pm

^ Me neither FunkyB, for some reason never got into them at all. One of of my friends has HUGE collection of everythings Star Wars, and it's probably worth some money, but I don't think he would ever sell them. Star Wars fans are into it for sure, it seems like there is no in between, either it doesn't interest you or you are obsessed. I guess one could say the same thing about Phish as well...
Buster
The NorEaster

Star Wars

Postby jeff » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:25 pm

Boooooo Vernixxx!!!! Well we all see it differently. Really the story of the prequel follows two themes: how a democracy becomes a dictatorship and how a good person goes bad. In context of shedding light on these two subjects the prequels did a superbly fantastic job culminating in "Sith" which imo is the best film of all six. The themes are deep and delve into philosophy that most veiwers will simply miss hence the casual viewer notices more the bad acting, shoddy lines, poor directing... all the material stuff but the meat, the essence of the story is missed. Once the essence is grasped then the acting and directing makes sense... each line and every move is deliberate all culminating in the fall of a hero and a government. It parallels real world tragedy. Saying it sucks off-handedly is like saying phish is just like the dead and hence a rip-off... which from someone who misunderstands phish music the statement is entirely plauseable!

I will defend SW till the end:):):) Foshizzle :P

what are you talking about? there's no denying that the acting in the prequels is poor. you can't argue that. the story doesn't make up for that.
jeff
The Hair Of The Dog

Star Wars

Postby UB-40 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:53 pm

I think, in its completion, the new trilogy redeemed itself. The first two were really dissapointing at first to me, but after seeing how it all ties together, everything pretty much makes sense (except for pod racing in episode I, that was retarded).

I think the most badass thing about Star Wars overall is how in the first three they always talk about how Anakin is supposed to destroy the sith and bring balance to the universe, and it takes till the end of episode VI before he actually does. If they had done it in order, it would have seemed like the prophecy failed, which it didn't. Great writing, in my opinion.
#∞
You are a person who is high class. You are a person not in my class.
UB-40

Star Wars

Postby freebaracco » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:42 pm

best Star Wars movies
1.JEDI
2.EMPIRE
3.SITH
freebaracco
Iron Chef

Star Wars

Postby freebaracco » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:43 pm

WHOOPS. 1.EMPIRE
2.A NEW HOPE
3.SITH
4.JEDI
5.CLONES
6. WHATEVER THE DUMB FIRST NEW ONE WAS
freebaracco
Iron Chef

Star Wars

Postby goldenroad » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:38 pm

I dig the old Star Wars...or as I call them Star Wars...I don't know what to call those new pieces of crap...I went to Episode 1 and it is one of only 2 movies in history that I have walked out of...the other being "Daddy Daycare"...And I never demanded my money back for Daddy Daycare...but I demanded it back for Episode 1...It's not even a movie...there's no story, there's no theme, there's just a kid riding around in a spaceship for an hour...I refuse to watch any piece of shit that George Lucas ever releases...
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Star Wars

Postby ghost » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:15 am

I agree that Episodes 1-3 were lacking compared to Episodes 4-6 (storyline and acting-wise, but those new special effects are cool.) I think that the newest one (Revenge of the Sith) was good. For me, it made up for the garbage in Episodes 1 and 2. It tied the story together in a good way. Watching all those movies is better and makes more sense to me after seeing the last one. (Not that I didn't know the story anyway.) There was definitely a lot of awful stuff in Episodes 1 and 2, but my unhappiness over it has subsided now. My favorite movie of the six is The Empire Strikes Back.
ghost
Human Being

Star Wars

Postby cemeteryroses » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:41 am

The older movies were, by far better than the new ones.
cemeteryroses
Angel

Star Wars

Postby captainfantasy » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:22 am

ok, i love star wars. not enough to go to a convention, but none are ever in my area. the original 3 are awesome. but i also loved the first 3 episodes. sure episode one was crap ( not enough darth maul imo) and the second got better, and by the third it was where it should be. i have ti say though that all 6 are great films. some of you may think different, but the effects were great. and that IS what all 6 episodes is about the effects. kudos to them for a job well done.

anyone remember the ewok adventure in the late 80's?
captainfantasy
Scumdog

Star Wars

Postby gregradiohead » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:32 am

I do not buy the bullshit about how the prequels have this amazing story that is philosophical in any way. It's the same with the Matrix: they are fucking terrible movies, intent be damned. Keep your existentialism away from my cyber punk kung fu spectacles unless you can make it interesting; keep your political/good turning to evil commentary away from my space operas.
gregradiohead
Goderator

Star Wars

Postby zoot horn rollo » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:37 am

special effects budget - 3 bazillion dollars
darth maul costume (one tube red face paint) - $2.50
shitting on your life's work and exposing yourself as a racist hack in one foul swoop - priceless.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
zoot horn rollo
Subcomandante

Star Wars

Postby vernixx » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:39 am

^ Good explaination, zoooot. The prequels are just boring and poorly written.
vernixx

Star Wars

Postby grabs666 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:59 am

Zoot hit it right on the head. Lucas ignored all the lessons he learned from Empire (mainly outsource the directing/scriptwriting roles). He grabbed the helm with iron fist and managed to ruin the most popular movie franchise of all time. Peter Jackson bitch slapped Lucas with the LOTR movies and devalued the SW series permanatly.
grabs666
Satan

Star Wars

Postby marley » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:33 pm

Those prequels are god awful. I was laughing at the end of the most recent movie when young Luke was given to Aunt Rue and Unlce Owen on Tattoine. When they get him, Rue and Owen are like 20 or so. Then as the original starts up, Luke is 18 and Rue and Owen look 60. Living must be rough on Tattoine.

The only good part about the prequels is the ass kicking Yoda.
#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Star Wars

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:56 pm

yeah...one has to admit yoda kicked some serious ass in episode 3
I LOOK TO THE STARS AND THE ANSWER IS CLEAR
I LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE WHAT I FEAR
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Blog: View Blog (1)

Star Wars

Postby willbreathes » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:40 pm

^ Ass also kicked in episode 2 it was by Yoda.

(I think.. as I said before, not a huge fan)
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Star Wars

Postby goldphish » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:36 pm

what are you talking about? there's no denying that the acting in the prequels is poor. you can't argue that. the story doesn't make up for that.

Sure I will concede the acting is stiff but for the story being told it was necessary at times... I didn't like Hayden's and Natalie's perfomances in EpII tho they were better in Ep III. I'm not some brainwashed dummy stroking my lizard over everything Lucas says or puts on the screen :P I just enjoy the films and dig the essence of the story. There is some shitty acting and some god-awful lines but I enjoyed all the films.

Whether they are good or bad is entirely subjective and I don't care if anyone likes them or not... and neither does Lucas. I admire that he put his work out there the way he wanted with a big piss off to those who wanted things different. Thats art imo. No one says anyone needs to like it. To some phish is urine in their ears and to others its nectar... same w/ SW. I also enjoy mythology. Stories that reflect the human condition.
goldphish
White Mountain Scallop

Blog: View Blog (2)

Star Wars

Postby willbreathes » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:49 pm

I love the Simpsons where they go see Cosmic Wars, and the entire movie is roll call in the Senate (I think it is called the Senate... once again, not a huge fan of SW).

Then Bart and Lisa go complain to Cosmic Wars creator Randall Curtis about how horrible the new movie is (I believe it is truly referencing Phantom Menace).

'Hey kids, would you like some Jim-Jam cereal? Everyone's favorite new character!'
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Star Wars

Postby UB-40 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:55 pm

Those prequels are god awful. I was laughing at the end of the most recent movie when young Luke was given to Aunt Rue and Unlce Owen on Tattoine. When they get him, Rue and Owen are like 20 or so. Then as the original starts up, Luke is 18 and Rue and Owen look 60. Living must be rough on Tattoine.

Yea, youll notice that obiwan gets too old too. That's the one thing that didnt add up for me, unless luke is supposed to be 30 in IV.
#∞
You are a person who is high class. You are a person not in my class.
UB-40

Next

Return to Non-Phish Discussion