Good Morning Oh Kee Pa

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Good Morning Oh Kee Pa

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:29 pm

Who'll be in Norwood MA for that. Nobody, you f*ckers all live in Ohio or some sh!t

Us Michiganders take great offense to that. :mrgreen:
El Bastarde

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Harpua » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:14 pm

The kids at Bayside were much more judgmental than the kids I went to high school with, but it was for this exact reason that the bathrooms at my school didn't have doors.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby Katiemay » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:23 pm

Knew I left that roach somewhere. Thanks, Slater!
Katiemay

Postby Katiemay » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:43 pm

Good morning. Had a few nice days that have since been swallowed by more gloominess and cold. Looks like the sun won't return again until Tuesday.

Never had a big thing for cinnamon sugar toast, but I found this loaf of pumpkin swirl bread in the freezer the other day and just had some sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and it was damn good.
Katiemay

Postby Harpua » Sun May 06, 2018 5:39 pm

Good morning OKP,

I moved this weekend. The new place is really nice, it's much closer to work, and much much closer to the city. :thumbup:

I hope everyone else is having a good weekend!
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby Katiemay » Sun May 27, 2018 4:23 pm

GMOKP. Happy Memorial Day. I'm not one for hopping to it in the morning but I had to go let my friend's dog out and got some grocery shopping done. It's so quiet at the store on a rainy holiday weekend Sunday. Thinking the rest of today will be a binge watch lazy sort of day interspersed with some chores.
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Wed May 30, 2018 4:50 pm

Saw this making the rounds. The responses here are pretty good.

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-32077 ... sh-tee.jsp
El Bastarde

Postby ghost » Wed May 30, 2018 5:27 pm

Good morning. Weather forecast here says 100 degrees. Average date of first 100 = July 1. Shit.

^^^^^^ (Only six of these ^ thingies to go back a month and ten days. :( )

There is a newish Toyota Music Factory venue near here in Irving. I haven't been there yet. There is a bunch of new stuff going up around it. (The current view on Google maps is of empty dirt lots.) There is a big open area outside. It has a concrete stage on one side and a beer garden and it's surrounded by restaurants and a movie grill. You can walk around with drinks and go in and out of all the places. I just heard of this place a month or so ago and I read that they have free concerts almost everyday. That Saturday was a free Keller Williams concert. (I just paid to see Keller WIlliams in Dallas in January.) The place was super easy to get to and about 25 minutes away. Parking was right there and only $2. It was a really nice night. Super solid experience. Lots of fun. Would do again.

No guitars in the encore:
ghost
Human Being

Postby Katiemay » Wed May 30, 2018 11:11 pm

^ that place looks very cool. Looks like not many people?
Katiemay

Postby ghost » Thu May 31, 2018 3:01 pm

^ Not many people. I think it's so new that no one knows about it. Keller commented that we had a nice little place there and that it was a nice night and that there was a nice breeze. He also said that if you didn't like the show, you could see him in his van for a full refund. I'm not sure how it would be if there was a show inside the Toyota music place the same night you want to see a free show outside. That building right behind the stage is the music factory venue.

Good morning. Last day of school today. Dismissal 12:10. Second grade and Kindergarten complete. What a mindfuck to have a baby and watch it grow. Blows me away everyday. Bring on Summer.

ghost
Human Being

Postby Harpua » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:08 pm

GMOKP,

I'm ready for this weekend to start. I am having a small to medium sized party to celebrate an incredibly goofy local holiday / tradition. I couldn't give two shits about the festival itself, but I use it to gather a bunch of my friends who I rarely see. With the exception of one or two years, I have hosted this party every year since 2006. What's funny is - I don't even live in that town anymore, so I throw the party at my parent's house. It is one of my favorite weekends.

I hope everyone else has a good Friday / Weekend!

Also, I guess it is donut day or some such bullshit, so you should probably listen to your favorite BD show today. (Jam Filled followed very closely by Powdered in my case)
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby Katiemay » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:40 pm

^I want to know what the goofy local holiday/tradition is. Pretty cool you have been carrying on the gathering all these years.

Good morning. Waiting for a headache to subside and going to do some mid-October travel planning. Then going to visit a friend and who knows after that.

Happy weekend.
Katiemay

Postby Harpua » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:37 pm

^ The town I grew up in at one point (never in my lifetime) had three massive dairies, and produced more milk that any other town in America, so the town holiday is called "Milk Day." They now only have one dairy (Deans). There is a fiberglass cow statue in the middle of the town. Rival schools would vandalize it every time our football teams would play each other. At one point, the city was tired of paying to repair the cow every year, there was a push to get a bronze cow, but the bible folk thought that to be idolatrous.

The festival is three days long and plays the small town festival greatest hits with a Milk Queen, carnival, parade, fireworks, and the like. Almost nothing separates it from every other town festival except that it is the longest running festival in Illinois (78 years), and this year Svengoolie was the Grand Marshall. You read that correctly... Svengoolie.

During this three day festival public intoxication, noise, and fireworks laws / ordinances are very loosely enforced.

We did attend the parade, but did not hit any of the other city planned events, opting instead to drink, grill, and play lawn darts at my parent's house.

~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby ghost » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:24 am

^ Svengoolie! Milk Day sounds awesome.

ghost wrote:There is a big open area outside. It has a concrete stage on one side and a beer garden and it's surrounded by restaurants and a movie grill. You can walk around with drinks and go in and out of all the places. I just heard of this place a month or so ago and I read that they have free concerts almost everyday.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/music/big-beat-dallas-of-toyota-music-factory-in-irving-closes-10740481
ghost
Human Being

Postby SirChompsAlot » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:38 pm

Milk day does sound pretty awesome. I think I've driven through Harvard once and saw the cow.

Well, that was quick. And sad. It's a shame that such a cool concept didn't survive.
SirChompsAlot

Postby Harpua » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:09 pm

I wouldn't doubt it. Lots of weekenders drive through Harvard on their way to Lake Geneva and Alpine Valley from the western / northwestern burbs.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:52 pm

Got three days of work this week then it's Dave Matthews Band on Weds and STS9 on Thurs. Can't wait to get it rolling.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:47 pm

How was DMB? I haven't paid much attention to them since 2006. Is it like going to a Phish concert were the average age of a concert attendee is 10 years older than it was 10 years ago, or is it still largely college students?
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:25 am

Dudes what's up. That's all I got though. It's night, too. Good morning tomorrow maybe?
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:36 pm

Good morning now, everybody! Maybe it ain't good, but I guess what I'm sayin is, I wish it were if it ain't! :wave: Have a good Friday if you can manage it!
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Harpua » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:07 pm

I hope the chatter 'round these parts picks up during the tour.

Alright... Give this week hell, OKP!
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:24 pm

Been swamped this last week. Crammed at work to get month-end so I could take off two days last night. Saw Dave Matthews on Weds and STS9 on Thurs.

DMB was okay but they did the annoying thing of starting the tour before the new album comes out...so, of course, he was playing new songs but I really didn't have a good way to listen to many of them. They also need to get another violin guy...listening to their material made me realize how many songs are heavy in violin which means they weren't available this tour...thought the setlist was one of the weakest I've seen as a result.

STS9 fucking brought it. They just get better each time I see them. Their drummer never stops and I have no idea how his arms don't fall off. Hidden Hand Hidden Fist in the 1st set was probably the highlight.
El Bastarde

Postby y0n » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:20 pm

Harpua wrote:I hope the chatter 'round these parts picks up during the tour.

Alright... Give this week hell, OKP!

Me too! Chat should be bopping as usual.
y0n

Postby Phinst » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:30 pm

^^DMB was okay but they did the annoying thing of starting the tour before the new album comes out
From what I understand some of the songs are not new just haven't been officially released(Samurai cop for one)

thought the setlist was one of the weakest I've seen
Yea that seems to be the overall consenus for this tour. Sticking to songs where they can get by more without the violin.

How was the new keyboard guy? And I guess they use him to fill in the space that Boyd once had

So I am curious after seeing that show if DMB continues to tour without a Violonist, would you still go see them?

In when reading some forums it seems many thinks the band has sounded better than in previous yrs and don't seem to think missing Boyd is hurting the band/show that much :eh:. I'm curious to know who these people are, perhaps people who came on around the Everyday release or after. Or it's just something new for the band/fans, but will eventually wear off if it continues with this current lineup.

This whole thing continues to Amaze me and kind of sucks. Be interesting to see how it all shakes out
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2017: Chicago x2: Dayton>Pittsburgh
Phinst

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:04 pm

From what I understand some of the songs are not new just haven't been officially released(Samurai cop for one

Yes, three of them were released early and I found a youtube video where someone put together some live versions of some new songs as well. But it was only like six songs on a larger album. Plus, they're kinda not that great but maybe I need some more listens. Ironically, I saw them on Weds, then the free album I got when I bought the ticket came on Saturday. Ah, irony. Still haven't listened to it but I'll get there.

Sticking to songs where they can get by more without the violin.

And the songs they're still playing that do have it (Rhyme and Reason/Ants Marching) just sounded a little off.

How was the new keyboard guy?

Didn't know he was new but frankly I barely noticed him. They may have let him have one solo if that but I can't even recall...most jams were carried by the horn guys or Reynolds.

So I am curious after seeing that show if DMB continues to tour without a Violonist, would you still go see them?

Debateable. I probably would go again, especially since it's kind of a yearly tradition for me and some buds of mine to go. But it's bad listening to the albums and realizing how many songs I really like are violin-heavy. The three songs I've been chasing the most (Last Stop, Pig, Rapunzel) are all really dependent on violin so knowing I may never have a chance to catch these is a bit of a bummer.

But, at the same time, it's not the first time I've thought a DMB show had a lackluster setlist and then I'd come the next year and they'd just crush it, no pun intended...so I certainly won't write them off after one show. Plus they still bring the jams. I'd be more worried if my friends wouldn't be interested since they mostly only know the bigger hits...I could tell a few of them were pretty bored and some of them left a half-hour before it was over (though, to be fair, it was a work night).

In when reading some forums it seems many thinks the band has sounded better than in previous yrs and don't seem to think missing Boyd is hurting the band/show that much

I agree with the idea that it's not like Boyd was this world-class talent...I think any violin guy with good chops could come in a do what he does. But I still think they definitely need a violin guy.

And, maybe it's me, but DMB fans I see on forums are plain delusional. They act like DMB is like Phish where they mix up the setlist every night and don't seem to get that some of the songs are going to be in the rotation almost every night. The way they hate on the traditional "rock" songs he uses to close shows is laughable.

This whole thing continues to Amaze me and kind of sucks

What sucks is Boyd announced he was leaving like a week after tickets went on sale so fans didn't even know he wouldn't be there when they got tix. And this was in February and they should have had some time to find a guy to replace him and didn't bother. I mean when LeRoi died, he was replaced by two dudes...they can't find one for Boyd?
El Bastarde

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion