Good Morning Oh Kee Pa

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Good Morning Oh Kee Pa

Postby Harpua » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:34 pm

^ I had to run a search for "What is a Chomper Phish." Apparently it is a fan who likes everything Phish does indiscriminately.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby GratefulPhish » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:39 pm

I pretty much take it is as that with a little bit of the bro type. The one's that love the hits. I think in one he calls Bouncing the chomper of all chomper songs :lol:

There's a whole instagram page called chompersanonymous ...some of it's hilarious, some of it isn't...I'm not sure if it became a thing after this guy or not, probably not
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby fone » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:57 pm

Tired this morning after a wonderful show last night. Recap elsewhere, but just wanted to encourage people to taste these donuts.

My granddaughter had great time last night and told me she'd go with me again if I decide to hit another show. Have some things coming up over the next weekend that may preclude that, but I'm going to try see another one, or more.

Seems she was snap chatting with here friends throughout her time in the city and came to find out that a couple of her friends have tickets for a couple of the shows. She was kind of reserved most of the night, but I did catch her head bobbing more than several times, so I may have created a minor Phish monster. I'm sure her mother would not approve.
Go down in your own way
And everyday is the right day
And as you rise above the fear lines in his frown
You look down
Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd
fone
The Sage

Postby Katiemay » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:42 pm

Good morning. I was lucky enough to find a new friend at work this year who is into good music. Hard to come by in general, let alone as you get older. She came over last night, with her husband, to hang out and watch the stream. It was nice to have others over who appreciate it, but in playing host, you aren't able to concentrate as much on the finer points of the show. The donut song theme thing is a fun gimmick. I'm sort of avoiding the really in depth speculation about what sorts of donuts are out there and the songs that could connect, I'd rather just enjoy it as it comes.
Katiemay

Postby Harpua » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:48 pm

Katiemay wrote: I'm sort of avoiding the really in depth speculation about what sorts of donuts are out there and the songs that could connect, I'd rather just enjoy it as it comes.

IMO, this is the way to go. No speculation, no expectations. When I was walking to the show last Sunday, a couple of kids asked what I was hoping to hear. They went on to list all the songs they wanted. This list included Harpua and a number of other rarities. I told them that I wanted to hear a good show. A cop-out for sure, but at this point that is really all I care about.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby GratefulPhish » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:42 pm

I certainly don't go into shows with a specific list or anything, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bummed about some songs that got played in Dayton that weren't on the table for Pittsburgh. But that's different than just throwing around different songs they could play that are in line with the donut of the night. I think that's just kinda fun. No idea what to expect in that regard tonight outside of probably a Velvet Underground song or two. But they seem to really dig playing songs with the actual donut flavor in the lyrics, which has me kinda stumped.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby y0n » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:32 pm

Harpua wrote:
Katiemay wrote: I'm sort of avoiding the really in depth speculation about what sorts of donuts are out there and the songs that could connect, I'd rather just enjoy it as it comes.

IMO, this is the way to go. No speculation, no expectations. When I was walking to the show last Sunday, a couple of kids asked what I was hoping to hear. They went on to list all the songs they wanted. This list included Harpua and a number of other rarities. I told them that I wanted to hear a good show. A cop-out for sure, but at this point that is really all I care about.

A wise Deadhead recently taught me a good mantra before a show. "My only expectation is that I expect to have a good time." I've been trying my darnedest to stick to this. It has treated me well so far.
y0n

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:31 pm

When they announced no Chicago webcast, there were lots of folks melting about it. I get disappointed, but angry?

My guess it's maybe they're spoiled by other bands. I mean Umphrey's has a video webcast of almost every show they do so I'm guessing it's just folks who are maybe surprised that Phish doesn't do it for every one. And, to be fair, Phish has done it for most 3-show runs in the past so it was a surprise. But, whatever...it's the internet...people overreact to everything.

In baseball and basketball, if a team doesn't meet a minimum stadium capacity the network blacks-out the game for that market.

I don't really think they do that anymore.

I’ve been wanting to catch TTB, but the tour/timing has never worked out. For the Red Rocks shows, the website says “with The Wood Brothers, Hot Tuna and John Medeski” on Saturday, and “with The Wood Brothers, Hot Tuna and John Bell” on Sunday.

Hard to say, but I'd imagine they're not having more than three bands so John's probably sitting in...likely with Tuna. The show last night started at 6:30 in order to get all three bands in. What surprised me was that Hot Tuna was the band at 6:30 when I assumed it'd be the Wood Brothers as the earlier opener so I missed most of them. The Wood Bros weren't bad but I would have preferred more Tuna.

Speaking of TTB is fantastic and you should see them. Once again they just tore it up last night...love how they're just jamming the tunes more in these last few years. Trucks is a guitar god. Will see them every time.

GOT – I have not seen the newest episode, and I have gone out of my way to avoid spoilers.

I'm in the bubble today as well. Just wasn't enough time to get back from the show and download it and watch it without losing tons of sleep since I'm working today. Hope to catch it tonight.

So I asked her to consider the idea of seeing the show tonight, but to consider in the light of how she might possibly enjoy the music, and not just make it about going into the city to be treated by her pops. I told her that there were a lot of good fans of the music who would value the ticket if she didn't think she would like the music.

I like how you framed this here. Too many just invite people who have zero interest in the band just so they have someone to go with them and then that person is bored and wants to leave and that stuff. Glad you have fun. I'm always trying to sell new folks on Phish but they're rarely hear locally so it's hard to sell them on traveling to see them.

Here ya go Eli, this guy is my favorite. He's hilarious....

I've tried this guy's videos and I'm usually one that shies away from post-show reactions so it's just not for me. Show reviews don't do much for me since everyone's so different and they often feel negative.

^ I had to run a search for "What is a Chomper Phish." Apparently it is a fan who likes everything Phish does indiscriminately.

I may fall into that. There's certainly a few songs I'm "meh" about but much less than most and I've loved the last few albums.

The donut song theme thing is a fun gimmick. I'm sort of avoiding the really in depth speculation about what sorts of donuts are out there and the songs that could connect, I'd rather just enjoy it as it comes.

I was throwing out some ideas in chat but it's really hard to speculate, especially since the flavors are mostly relating to first-time cover songs rather than Phish songs. I mean, I'm sure they'll do "chocolate" one night and that could relate to tons of songs.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:02 pm

y0n wrote:
A wise Deadhead recently taught me a good mantra before a show. "My only expectation is that I expect to have a good time." I've been trying my darnedest to stick to this. It has treated me well so far.

It took years for me to well and truly change my attitude. I can still be critical of performances on a more objective basis ("_______ was sloppy" or "_________ was jarring" ), but I am no longer critical of shows based on expectations and much less critical based on personal preferences. I'm going to be posting something that is a bit lengthy about this in the "Type Your Phish Thoughts" thread in coming days, or maybe later today if I have the time.

El Bastarde wrote:
In baseball and basketball, if a team doesn't meet a minimum stadium capacity the network blacks-out the game for that market.

I don't really think they do that anymore.

You are correct. I just checked it out. They still do national vs local broadcast blackouts, but not attendance based blackouts. The NFL had a policy of attendance based blackouts until 2015.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby TanasRoot » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:51 am

well its 3:49 in nyc and um yeah that just happened lolllll so i can't eeeeeven sleep so i finished my work for tomorrow (kinda ;) ) and i'm just really trying to wrap my head around phish right now.

omg i ran into pei-yi on her way to the subway! and i just missed you KatieMay!!! :wave:
"I'm not making this up..."
TanasRoot

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:00 pm

^Wow, lucky bastard to be there.
El Bastarde

Postby TanasRoot » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:27 pm

El Bastarde wrote:^Wow, lucky bastard to be there.

i just wish everyone could be here to share in this ! so glad we're talking and discussing and geeking so hard again... i love the OKP! :thumbup:
"I'm not making this up..."
TanasRoot

Postby Katiemay » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:53 pm

TanasRoot wrote:well its 3:49 in nyc and um yeah that just happened lolllll so i can't eeeeeven sleep so i finished my work for tomorrow (kinda ;) ) and i'm just really trying to wrap my head around phish right now.

omg i ran into pei-yi on her way to the subway! and i just missed you KatieMay!!! :wave:

Bummer! I can't believe I saw her twice; once before once after the show. I am taking the in and out approach.

Holy shit guys. Phish.
Katiemay

Postby Harpua » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:18 pm

GMOKP,

Got called in to work this morning, which only happens when a lab tech or a supervisor calls out. Today it was both. I don't mind working Saturdays, because I get to set my own pace (and listen to the Phish ). Plus $$$ for Dicks!

Cubs lost last night to the Brew Crew, but Phish not only won last night, they ran up the score!

Going to a family cookout today and I'm supplying the dessert (delicious lemon cake). Should be fun on a bun. Have a good Saturday, everyone.

(Also... Holy shit, guys! Phish!)
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:07 pm

Had a scary day of donut withdrawl yesterday but I think I made it. Got Phish tomorrow and then I'm seeing Roger Waters on Weds so I'll miss that night...maybe catch it on Thurs. Good times.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:23 pm

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/roger-wa ... 5d203.html

Caught Roger last night. Great time and the band sounded excellent...the start of the show with one Floyd hit after another was a damn treat. Was pumped they did Great Gig and the two Cia-wig-wearing backup singers Roger had did a sweet job at trading licks back and forth. I don't know his solo stuff and I don't mind it but doing three in a row seemed a bit much...the music was nice in them but the lyrics were sometimes mindlessly rebellious.

As usual, he went overboard with all the political message stuff. Brick in the Wall 2>3 was filled with this "Resist" imagery where he basically banged you on the head with the word and the entirety of Pigs and some of Money was nothing but anti-Trump/Putin stuff on the screens complete with a flying Pig also with anti-Trump stuff on it. And he rose these huge screens in the middle of the arena that faced to the side that blocked the view of half the stage that had all these images on there so there was nowhere you could even look where you didn't see it...it seems a bit of overkill since just putting it on the massive screen behind the stage was more than enough. I mean, I get it, you don't like Trump. No one does, Roger."

The jam in Pigs was easily the best of the night but the screens were showing a stream of bad Trump quotes and it was clear the crowd was just reacting to the quotes far more than the music...I don't know if that's Roger's intention but I felt it just took away from arguably the best solo of the night. Strangely, the one song that is truly about politics (Brain Damage) didn't have anything on the screens. Go figure.

Brick in the Wall 2/3 and Comfortably Numb were both excellent but I was a little bummed that the jams in both were lifted directly from the Gilmour solos verbatum...would have been nice if Roger let his guitarist do his own thing a little. Outside of that, I was fucking pumped to get Dogs>Pigs to open the second set and both were fantastic.
El Bastarde

Postby Katiemay » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:35 pm

El Bastarde wrote:https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/roger-waters/2017/the-palace-of-auburn-hills-auburn-hills-mi-63e5d203.html

Caught Roger last night. Great time and the band sounded excellent...the start of the show with one Floyd hit after another was a damn treat. Was pumped they did Great Gig and the two Cia-wig-wearing backup singers

They are the singers for an established, and superb, musical act named Lucious. I was very excited to see they'd be touring with Waters. Definitely a great choice on his part. Their voices and harmonies are excellent.

Sorry I have lost all ability to embed youtubes for some reason.

Note to OKP: just need to delete the S in HTTPS for youtube videos.
--Willbreathes
Katiemay

Postby Harpua » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:59 pm

El Bastarde wrote:
Brick in the Wall 2/3 and Comfortably Numb were both excellent but I was a little bummed that the jams in both were lifted directly from the Gilmour solos verbatum...would have been nice if Roger let his guitarist do his own thing a little.

I think I might have been opposite. I would have probably been bummed if he had gone off script. Gilmour's solos in Comfortably Numb are perfection.

My boss (who is a Trump guy) went to Desert Trip last year, he said Roger put on an amazing show, but the political aspect was heavy handed and unappreciated. Since he is my boss, I probably said something to the effect of," That's too bad." I wanted to say, "Yeah, dude. It's Roger Waters."

I'm ready for some more donuts!
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby ghost » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:19 pm

Harpua wrote:Gilmour's solos in Comfortably Numb are perfection.

That's for sure

Good morning

Phish tonight!!!
ghost
Human Being

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:23 pm

They are the singers for an established, and superb, musical act named Lucious. I was very excited to see they'd be touring with Waters. Definitely a great choice on his part. Their voices and harmonies are excellent.

Agree with all that. Their harmonies were excellent and Roger let them show off multiple times in the show...they even handled backup vocals for a few of the screaming parts that Roger can't quite do anymore. It sounded really good.

I would have probably been bummed if he had gone off script. Gilmour's solos in Comfortably Numb are perfection.

I dunno...to me that's "Gilmour's solo." I absolutely love how he does it live and the Pulse version is like THE quintessential version of it to me but if I'm seeing a guitarist live and he's doing a jam I'd rather he add his own take on it a bit...incorporate some of Gilmour's work but then add your own flourish to it...I'm sure the guy is talented enough to do that. Plus I saw them do it with the Wall tour and it felt like that version wasn't just a copy of Dave's version.

My boss (who is a Trump guy) went to Desert Trip last year, he said Roger put on an amazing show, but the political aspect was heavy handed and unappreciated.

I did think it was a bit too much...like he was banging you over the head like the audience didn't "get it." And I do think it took the attention away from the music...the crowd was clearly reacting more to the images and dumb Donald quotes than the actual music and I'm not sure I'd prefer that.

At the same time, I realized that it was likely Roger's hate of Trump that likely resulted him in dusting off Pigs in the first place so I guess I can thank him for that.

Good morning
Phish tonight!!!

No plans at all this weekend so it'll be Phish streams each night. Can't wait.
El Bastarde

Postby Katiemay » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:00 pm

Good evening, Pa. Thanks WillyB!
Katiemay

Postby Harpua » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:03 pm

Contentious meeting yesterday. Late to a meeting I ran this morning. Cubs keep losing. Doomsday clock inches ever closer to midnight. No Phish until September. It's even worse than it appears, but it's alright.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:25 pm

Late to a meeting I ran this morning. Cubs keep losing. Doomsday clock inches ever closer to midnight. No Phish until September. It's even worse than it appears, but it's alright.

Don't worry...fake football starts this week. It's not real football, but it's still football. A sign of the light at the end of the tunnel.

I got me a Santana concert tonight and managed to get a work-from-home situation for tomorrow so that's pretty ideal. Always love me some Carlos...can't wait to have thick percussion in my head all night.
El Bastarde

Postby y0n » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:32 pm

GMOKP!

Coming back from Phish has me reinvigorated. I'm still so amped from the 3 shows I caught that I basically ended up talking to my therapist about Phish for the entire session. She did a great job feigning interest.

Going to be a busy few weeks at work to make up for lost time and to cover ground before heading out to Dicks.
y0n

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:41 pm

Had a good time at Santana last night. I'm still often baffled at how lame his fans are, sadly...Carlos even made a quick speech during Foo Foo on how he goes all around the world and people stand except when he comes here...this got the fans to stand up for the song...for about two minutes before they all started trickling back down. How people sit for Santana is beyond me. Otherwise, I was up and jumping and found a nice section of like-minded folks. Good times.
El Bastarde

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion