Good Morning Oh Kee Pa

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Good Morning Oh Kee Pa

Postby Harpua » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:35 pm

GMOKP,

I don't know how it happened, but I have a herniated cervical disc, and it is quite painful. My doc gave me muscle relaxers, but they don't seem to be doing anything, aside from giving me some bonkers dreams. In order to look around I have to do the Michael Keaton Batman thing where I have to rotate my entire body.

I just found out that Dan Harmon is adapting Vonnegut's Sirens of Titan for TV. It is an odd science fiction story, and we know now that Dan Harmon does odd science fiction pretty well. Jerry Garcia at one point owned the movie rights to it. I always hoped that Terry Gilliam would direct a Sirens of Titan movie, but with him things tend to take forever.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:18 pm

WTF dude you can't disc golf with a herniated cervical disc. What'd you do that for.

Good morning afternooners.

I've had a nutzo summer. I don't wanna talk about it, alright??

:wave:
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Harpua » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:28 pm

^ I know, right?! I was supposed to play a pretty challenging 18 hole with a college buddy on Sunday. Unless I suddenly get Wolverine style healing powers, I don't think I am going to make it. On the plus side, I don't have to help my friend move on Saturday. At first I thought this was the result of too much disc golf, but it seems unlikely. I think the culprit is actually how much I read, because when I read my head is angled down for hours at a time.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby SirChompsAlot » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:53 pm

Harpua wrote:I think the culprit is actually how much I read, because when I read my head is angled down for hours at a time.

The moral of this story is never, ever read.
SirChompsAlot

Postby TanasRoot » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:17 pm

don't read, just wake up to these amazing mike dance moves...

if the time marker thing isn't working go to 26:12

:D
"I'm not making this up..."
TanasRoot

Postby Harpua » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:41 pm

^ HAHA - I used to have a DVD of that show, and I've watched it no less than 5 times. I have never noticed that. Fantastic.

GMOKP,

Anyone else watch Star Trek Discovery last night? I decided to watch that rather than Sunday Night Football, and I have mixed feelings about it. I grew up watching Star Trek The Original Series with my dad. In Jr High and High school I would watch Star Trek Voyager every night. I could go on about my fondness for Star Trek TOS and to a slightly lesser extent TNG, DS9, and Voyager. I don't want to be that guy, because nobody likes the guy who carries on about Star Trek. But...

The first 20 minutes of Discovery were so promising, but then something that happens in every Star Trek series ever goes down and the bridge turns into Lord of the Flies. (I never watched Enterprise, but I would imagine this thing happened to them too.) In literally every Star Trek series, you can understand why each officer achieved his or her post without having seen a prequel that shows each character's ascension in rank. They are competent, and act like a person of his or her rank would act. In the new series, we are expressly told that a certain character is competent, but then this character immediately behaves in a manner no other officer would behave prior to the "Abrams-ization" of the Star Trek universe.

And on top of that, CBS uses the crack dealer method of getting subscriptions to their new streaming service. Premiere was broadcast on national television, but all subsequent episodes will be shown exclusively on the pay streaming service. The first episode wasn't good enough to compel me to subscribe to a shitty streaming service that only has one program that may or may not be worth watching. [/rant]

Bears won a shitty game they had no business winning, and that return at the end of the first half managed to make all parties involved look stupid. So that was cool.

Alright, let's kick some ass this week OKP.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby marley » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:35 pm

^ Technically, CBS is in violation of the law for charging for their programs. I've written many senators about it. I think there is a congressional investigation in to it. I hate CBS.
#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Postby Harpua » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:34 pm

^ How are they violating the law? I too will write many letters if the possible outcome is free Star Trek.

Below: Actual picture of me writing a letter to my congressman.

~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby marley » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:52 pm

sorry for the terse response... it was early...

ABC, NBC, and CBS are all supposed to broadcast for FREE!!! I cut the cable chord about a year and half ago and have Sling for my streaming and use a digital antennae for broadcast channels. Both in Las Vegas and San Diego, my ABC and NBC come in fine with broadcast. In both Las Vegas and San Diego, CBS does NOT come in at all. I've asked my g/f, parents, and sister, all back in suburban Detroit, to try the digital broadcast antennae, with the same results. It appears CBS is deliberately delivering shoddy broadcast in order to drive people to subscribe to their streaming service. Both ABC and NBC do NOT charge for streaming service. Sounds very suspicious to me... You may have better luck with CBS in Chicagoland, but it seems peculiar that in three major markets, the CBS broadcast is shiite!!!

Hence, writing my senators.
marley
West Side Wook

Postby Harpua » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:53 pm

That actually makes perfect sense. Yesterday I was trying to watch the Bears game on CBS. I was watching it on CBS 2 Chicago, but it was not coming in quite right. I thought maybe my antenna was pointing the wrong direction, so a adjusted it. No change. I live far enough northwest that i can also get Milwaukee, Rockford, or (on a good day) Madison. Nothing! I was able to get Fox, ABC, and NBC just fine from Chicago and Rockford, and I was able to get ABC just fine from Madison, but I couldn't consistently get CBS from any of them. Even as I watched Star Trek the signal would get wonky from time to time.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:59 pm

Anyone else watch Star Trek Discovery last night? I decided to watch that rather than Sunday Night Football, and I have mixed feelings about it. I grew up watching Star Trek The Original Series with my dad.

I was into Star Trek until maybe the Next Generation. I couldn't get into Deep Space Nine and watched maybe a season of Voyager before that lost me. I saw all the movies up into the Next Generation Borg one and I was done there. I especially had no interest in those Abrams reboots. Just has always felt like a dying franchise to me that should just be let go but it'll never happen.

In the new series, we are expressly told that a certain character is competent, but then this character immediately behaves in a manner no other officer would behave prior to the "Abrams-ization" of the Star Trek universe.

It's a weird thing. They want these to be militarized ships where everyone acts like professionals but they still want the Captain Kirk Rebel thing where they still go against protocol on a whim...I think they try to "humanize" the Star Trek characters now to be more charismatic and it seems like the characters aren't unique anymore.

Premiere was broadcast on national television, but all subsequent episodes will be shown exclusively on the pay streaming service.

Ick, that's terrible. I understand them wanting to do it since hooking people into subscriptions is the big model for making cash these days but it just gets tiresome.

Bears won a shitty game they had no business winning, and that return at the end of the first half managed to make all parties involved look stupid.

I still have no clue what happened with the Lions game. We score the TD, they somehow decide that the shadowy view of the receiver's knee means that it's not a TD (when it's always "inconclusive" every other time) and then just declare the game over right afterward. Fucking amazing how this happens to the Lions every year. I couldn't even get angry...I'm just used to it now.

I've asked my g/f, parents, and sister, all back in suburban Detroit, to try the digital broadcast antennae, with the same results. It appears CBS is deliberately delivering shoddy broadcast in order to drive people to subscribe to their streaming service.

It's been a while since I haven't been on cable but I remember CBS always being worse quality than the other three. Not sure if that's just tradition or what.
El Bastarde

Postby y0n » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:15 pm

GMOKP! Just got back like night from a brief jaunt east to visit family for the Jewish New Year. Feeling peppy and inspired without any of the jitters which often come with traveling and sleep disruption.
y0n

Postby GratefulPhish » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:45 pm

Re: Lions/Falcons

Didn't catch it live (because I was watching a terrible Steelers game) and not sure on the complete story, but I saw a picture that showed his knee clearly down and the ball wasn't over the line.

Signed,
Falcons Hater/Lions bandwagonist
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:20 pm

^Still pictures don't cut it. Super slo-mo:

https://twitter.com/WorldofIsaac/status ... down-rules

At BEST, you can say his ankle BARELY touches the ground before the tip crosses the plane. And that's if you think it did at all. And this ignores that your ankle touching the ground does not mean you're down and it has to be a knee.

The point is that, with ALL these questions on that play, how do they say there's "indisputable evidence?" By the very definition of the word, it should have stood since it was called a TD on the field. Only with the Lions does the "undisputable" thing always seem to disappear and refs just make judgement calls. If that's the Pack or Patriots, that never happens.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:32 pm

^ Whoa. That is the first I have seen of the controversial call, and if it was ruled a TD on the field, I cannot believe that they would overturn it based on that video. Unreal.

I feel like I can't talk about the Packers objectively, because ... you know... I hate them, but I do feel like you are right about them getting favorable calls more frequently than other teams.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby marley » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:35 pm

The refs blew the call and the Lions suffered for it. Any team shouldn't be penalized for the refs having a review. The ruling should have been touchdown, obviously, but even if they overturned it, the Lions should have had at least one more play.
marley
West Side Wook

Postby ghost » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:43 pm

Good morning. Getting shit done here...as soon as I get off the Oh Kee Pa...

Harpua wrote:I feel like I can't talk about the Packers objectively, because ... you know... I hate them...

The Wisconsin - Illinois state line dynamics are interesting. A lot of "hate" for opposing teams. Tom, do you listen to that radio station, 95.1 WIIL, which, believe it or not, used to be good? I think people that live on the WI - IL state line should be referred to as WIILbillies. I liked it there. I didn't move to Texas because I wanted to get away.
ghost
Human Being

Postby Harpua » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:52 pm

^ I listen to WIIL infrequently. Most of the time it is just to heavy for me. I did listen to it for a bit today, because they were playing Smashing Pumpkins. When I am on the FM side of the dial, I generally listen to XRT, because it is a bit more "Dad Rock." (I Kid)
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby marley » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:26 pm

Good morning OKP!!!!

Glad to see Pitino was essentially fired yesterday. That guy is sooooo slimey, he deserved it.
marley
West Side Wook

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:09 pm

Glad to see Pitino was essentially fired yesterday. That guy is sooooo slimey, he deserved it.

What?? But he denied he knew anything about it! Seriously, isn't Pitino the unluckiest guy in basketball? How does this nice man keep having all these scandals around him when he doesn't know anything about them? What are the odds they keep happening to him? Poor Rick.

Seriously, I love the shakeups. I doubt it'll stop most of it but it's nice to see an organization that can actually imprison folks for this stuff rather than the lazy NCAA who couldn't care less.

Also, Your Friday Song:

Seeing ole Paul this Monday. Pumped.
El Bastarde

Postby Katiemay » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:54 pm

Good morning Oh Kee Pa! My already sparse visiting has become even sparser with school starting and work beginning back in full force. Mentioned the OKP vs. Mike chess game over on .net today, and linked the board. Maybe that will bring some fresh meat our way.

Perfect fall day. Clear and crisp. Have a cold and not feeling very motivated today, but hoping a little fresh air will do me good. Take it easy, friends.

"And now back to our regularly scheduled OKP Sports Talk...."

P.S. Hope your back is on the mend, Harpua.

P.P.S. Even back when I was a kid and people used antennas to get the local channels, CBS never came in. Stingy bastards!
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:22 pm

Was a nice weekend but it sure felt like it went by fast. Either way, I'm seeing a Beatle tonight and I managed to get a work-from-home for tomorrow which will make things a bit easier the morning after. Hang in there, folks.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:08 pm

Just stunned on the Petty news. I saw him in July. We waited too long to get tickets and it sold out and all my friends didn't want to spend scalper prices of $80/$90 to get lawn tickets. I still pulled the trigger and got the tix to go solo and skipped out on going to the Dayton Phish show to go but I figured I should still see a living legend...and now I'm so glad I did. Just goes to show that if you're on the fence on whether to see these older bands, just go.

Tom Petty shows were fantastic. Great mix of rock and his band would still jam and extend tunes here and there. Petty always had that Donovan thing where he was always the coolest dude on that stage at all times. He's got so much great music and so many great songs. I'll even pump up the recent albums he's done in his older age...it's nothing groundbreaking but it's good ole rock and roll. I'm rambling a bit but this is a stunner.
El Bastarde

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:09 pm

Just gotta share this. The stripped-down live version of Learning to Fly was always one of the coolest chill moments of any Petty show. You'd just stare at the stars and sing along. Thank you, Tom.

El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:12 am

^^^^ Not 100% but much better. Thank you.

I read the news today, oh boy... (though maybe "I don't like Mondays" would be more appropriate.) My heart breaks for Las Vegas, and Petty's death was a punch to the gut.

Be kind to each other.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion