Good Morning Oh Kee Pa

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Good Morning Oh Kee Pa

Postby Harpua » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:14 pm

^ On Saturday night I watched the free DMB webcast. It was alright, except for the fact that I haven't seen or heard them since 2005 so I didn't know most of the songs, or who half the people on stage were. There was a point where Tim Reynolds was playing a telecaster during either Crush or Samurai Cop and the tones were completely incongruous. The flying V during Don't Drink the Water - on the other hand - ruled your face.

Yesterday I watched a fawn try to jump over a chain link fence for twenty minutes. The mother deer paced along the fence and watched on helplessly as the fawn kept trying a failing to make it over. There was a while where I was super worried that the baby wouldn't be able to make it over, and the mother would just leave it. Eventually the fawn awkwardly made it over the fence, and walked into the woods with its mother. It was beautiful, suspenseful, and amazing.

Watching Baby Deer: 5/5 Stars.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby SirChompsAlot » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:45 pm

Harpua wrote:^ On Saturday night I watched the free DMB webcast. It was alright, except for the fact that I haven't seen or heard them since 2005 so I didn't know most of the songs, or who half the people on stage were. There was a point where Tim Reynolds was playing a telecaster during either Crush or Samurai Cop and the tones were completely incongruous. The flying V during Don't Drink the Water - on the other hand - ruled your face.

ghost and I saw DMB back around 2004ish at Alpine. It was a pretty underwhelming show, mostly for the same reason you mentioned about the newer songs. That was the only time I've seen them, because I had zero desire to see them again after that. I think it was this show: http://www.dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.a ... where=2004

My girlfriend and I went with a group of people to see Ray LaMontagne Saturday night and had a similar experience. He played pretty much his entire new album, and didn't play a single song off of his first 4 albums. It was kind of strange. I liked the show, but I was super disappointed in the setlist since I loved his first 4 albums, and the next 3 albums are mediocre at best. I had a fun time with my GF and our friends at least.
SirChompsAlot

Postby ghost » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:50 pm

^ It was this show:
http://www.dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.aspx?id=453055838&tid=58&where=2002

I really have no memory of this show other than the Stir It Up tease/jam. I only remembered that from looking at the setlist. I didn't go the second night. I saw both shows at Alpine the next summer. The two nights were completely different experiences and were a lot of fun. I haven't seen any DMB since then. Clean 15 years. Ha. Kidding. I have no problem with Dave Matthews. Definitely some good music.
ghost
Human Being

Postby SirChompsAlot » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:48 pm

ghost wrote:^ It was this show:
http://www.dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.aspx?id=453055838&tid=58&where=2002

I really have no memory of this show other than the Stir It Up tease/jam. I only remembered that from looking at the setlist. I didn't go the second night. I saw both shows at Alpine the next summer. The two nights were completely different experiences and were a lot of fun. I haven't seen any DMB since then. Clean 15 years. Ha. Kidding. I have no problem with Dave Matthews. Definitely some good music.

We'll have to battle it out to see who has the shittier memory, lol. I have no memory of it really either, but I kind of remember hearing Ants Marching. What makes me think it was 04 or 05 is that IIRC Scotty was with us and your wife talked his ear off about his divorce for like the whole night :lol: Anyways, short story long, it was a boring show.

Expanding on the crappy setlist theme, we saw U2 at the United Center a month ago and they didn't play anything off of Joshua Tree. We did see them on the Joshua Tree tour last summer, but it was still a little disappointing to not get Streets Have No Name last month.
SirChompsAlot

Postby Harpua » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:04 pm

I saw them at Alpine in 2004, but I went to night 2. Jem and Guster Opened. It was actually a killer show*.

I'll be back at Alpine tomorrow night for Dead and Co!

* Edit - I think it was. It was 14 years ago, I was 17, and I had like three Bud Ices so I was probably plastered. :D
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby Harpua » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:51 pm

I've been holding off on talking about my Dead and Co experience until I have had a few days to cool down and look at it with a bit more objectivity, and I'm glad I did.

Due to my own poor planning, I arrived late and missed the opener (The Music Never Stopped), and came in during Easy Answers, which is absolutely nobody's favorite song. The set started heading in the right direction, then they brought out Justin Vernon from Bon Iver. This was not great. I would go as far as to say that it was the worst special guest I have ever seen. Black Muddy River was tough to listen to. I love that song, but this might go down as the worst version of it ever played. It was sung in this awful falsetto. Next was Friend of the Devil, which Vernon also really struggled with. The intense jam out of Bird Song was definitely the highlight of the set.

The second set was really, really great until it wasn't. The Weight was ok, maybe not an ideal song to start a set with, but everybody loves that song. It was a great sing along... until it wasn't (more bad falsetto). Shakedown was great. Mayer's "Well well well"s are creepy as hell and are amazing. Althea is a personal favorite of mine, so I was pretty jazzed to see it, and it sounded great. China -> Rider was China -> Rider. Few song combos are as dependably good as China -> Rider. The stage lights / graphics also complemented this very well. Drum -> Space have really become my favorite parts of any Dead show. This was no exception. Then they came back with Watchtower, and things started going wrong again. First, it was boring... really boring. It's cool that Mayer copies Jimi's licks (though slowed to a crawl), but everything else was so lifeless. Then the technical difficulties started. The mic cut out during Watchtower, and when Bobby tried to start the last verse, there was silence. So they had to loop around, and stretch a tune that had already worn out its welcome. Standing On The Moon was pretty dull too. It must be really hard for someone who has been touring for over 50 years to deal with technical difficulties, because when the mic cut out on Bobby during Sugar Magnolia he lost it and slapped his mic stand - knocking it to the ground.

This show feels like it is two shows: one good and one bad. The good show: Alabama Getaway, BIg River, Jack Straw, Bird Song, Shakedown, Althea, China -> Rider, Space-> Drums, was very good. The bad show: Black Muddy River, Friend of the Devil, Watchtower, Standing on the Moon, and Sugar Magnolia, was pretty bad.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby SirChompsAlot » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:57 pm

I didn't go to the show, but I love Justin Vernon. I've been listening to a shit ton of Bon Iver and Volcano Choir lately. That said, Black Muddy River was awful. I don't think I had ever heard the original (until after listening to the song from the show), but his falsetto did not fit in with the song at all. If he had just used his chest voice, I think it would have probably been pretty good. I'm not sure if he was just totally drunk or stoned, but he kind of fumbled through his solo in that song too.

IMO Friend of the Devil just isn't that great anymore. I'm not sure if Bob is just getting too long in the tooth, but it just doesn't have the bouncy firepower that I want from it. It's like a slowed down lounge version of it with mediocre vocals all around. That said, Mayer's soloing in it was pretty hot on Saturday.

Here are The Weight and Shakedown Street. I liked them both, but I can see what you're saying about the falsetto in The Weight, I'm not sure why John and Bob went that direction. Weir just couldn't quite get there, but it also seemed out of place in the song. I thought Oteil's part was really nice though, he killed that. Shakedown Street is one of my favs, Althea too, so I'm glad you got those two songs.

I'm going to see Neil Young on Sunday night, which I hope is a great show. Though like I said about Bob earlier, Neil's definitely getting a little long in the tooth too, so I'm not sure what to expect.
Last edited by SirChompsAlot on Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SirChompsAlot

Postby Harpua » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:19 pm

^Bon Iver is great, so I was pretty surprised that his appearance was anything less than stellar. Also, I don't think that I put enough thought into my special guest comment. I was only thinking about Warren Haynes & Robert Randolph joining DMB, Matisyahu joining Trey, and Phil Lesh joining GRAB. I totally forgot about this...

American Idol runner-up Bo Bice joins 70 Volt Parade for Van Halen's Panama!
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby willbreathes » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:26 pm

I saw one of the American Idols play with Widespread Panic. It was actually really awesome. He played the harp on Stop Breaking Down Blues.

For some reason, Tyler Hicks comes to mind... I really can't recall if that is his name.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:39 pm

My girlfriend and I went with a group of people to see Ray LaMontagne Saturday night and had a similar experience. He played pretty much his entire new album, and didn't play a single song off of his first 4 albums. It was kind of strange.

Reminds me of the time I saw Neil Young. Had never gone before and we just grabbed tickets and had no idea he was doing his entire new Greendale album. It actually was still pretty good (and had a neat setup with actors "playing" the scenarios in the song behind the band) and got me to buy the album but I kinda wish I had known about it beforehand. Had this super drunk guy trying to talk my ear off for some of it and I was nice and responded for a while but eventually I had to ignore him and do the "I'm so into the music that I don't even hear you anymore" act and eventually he got the hint and started bugging someone else.

^ It was this show:
http://www.dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.a ... where=2002

Dang, that setlist looks pretty sweet from my perspective. Grey Street, Grace is Gone, THE STONE, Crush, Drive In/Drive Out, Watchtower...good stuff.

The set started heading in the right direction, then they brought out Justin Vernon from Bon Iver.

Wow, just from my limited knowledge of Bon Iver, this seems like a very strange combination...especially with his singing voice.

Few song combos are as dependably good as China -> Rider.

Haven't gotten one at a Dead show for years. Been really going through withdrawl. And, yes, it never fails.

Drum -> Space have really become my favorite parts of any Dead show.

Congrats, you're the first and only person to ever say this. Seriously, I don't think they're nearly as bad as folks say but I certainly wouldn't say it's my favorite. I just wish they didn't do them EVERY show.

IMO Friend of the Devil just isn't that great anymore.

I definitely prefer the upbeat versions but it seems like the Dead's been doing the slow crashing version for years now. I wasn't big on it at first but it's grown on me plus it usually brings the jams.

I'm going to see Neil Young on Sunday night, which I hope is a great show. Though like I said earlier, he's definitely getting a little long in the tooth, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Was tempted to see him this tour as well but our local show is on a bad date and I don't think I can work it out. Hopefully his voice is still there and I'm sure he knows where his guitar is. Have fun!

For some reason, Tyler Hicks comes to mind... I really can't recall if that is his name.

I think it's Taylor Hicks. I vaguely remember seeing clips of him with a harmonica on that show. He's one of the few on that show I've seen that even see able to play an instrument other than basic acoustic guitar.

For me, I saw the Wailers on Tuesday and was so damn glad I went since I was debating to skip it on a work night. Really, really great show and it felt like every song would never stop. If you like Marley, I'd highly recommend them since they capture the feel of his shows perfectly.

Going to see Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull for the Tull 50th anniversary tour on Sunday. I've been off and on with Ian Anderson since he's had some weird tours but it looks like he'll just be bringing the hits for this one. Not a bad way to spend Sunday night and I got me a cushy last row seat on the aisle for standing purposes.

Also have the next five days off until the 5th...best part is I'll be home for all of the first Round of World Cup. Can't wait.
El Bastarde

Postby Funky Begonia » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:43 pm

Good Morning Oh Kee Pa!
I know its a been a minute. Hope all is going well in all of your worlds!
Big News! i'm getting married! We got engaged a few weekends ago in central park. We met at cover band show back in October of 2016 called The Evolution of Jam, First was a Grateful Dead Band (Reckoning), Then Phish (Uncle Ebenezer) then the Disco Biscuits (Tractorbear). Kind of the perfect place for me to meet someone listening to music by all my favorite bands! Anyway i wanted to share this with you guys.
We celebrated by raging Mountain Jam festival the weekend after our engagement. Now we are getting ready to head off to Italy for a family trip next week. We go every 10 years for my Dad's birthday.
Looking forward to running into many of you at Curveball!! Enjoy the summer everyone!
Funky Begonia
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:46 pm

Big News! i'm getting married!

Wow! Congrats!

Man, I've always visualized meeting the future love of my life at a show but seems like a bad place to even try that kind of stuff. Really cool that you pulled it off.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:46 pm

^^ Congratulations!!!

El Bastarde wrote:
Drum -> Space have really become my favorite parts of any Dead show.

Congrats, you're the first and only person to ever say this. Seriously, I don't think they're nearly as bad as folks say but I certainly wouldn't say it's my favorite. I just wish they didn't do them EVERY show.

IMO Friend of the Devil just isn't that great anymore.

I definitely prefer the upbeat versions but it seems like the Dead's been doing the slow crashing version for years now. I wasn't big on it at first but it's grown on me plus it usually brings the jams.

Re: Drums -> Space - Eek! That was supposed to be "a favorite". I only see Dead and Co once or twice a year, so I'm not going to get sick of it. I just feel like it is the only part of the show that is still psychedelic and weird. I wouldn't go to a show that was all Drums-> Space, but 15 minutes of it a couple of times a year is a good amount.

Re: Friend of the Devil - What's weird is they have had a slow version of this song since the 70's, but now that they slow everything down they do a mid-tempo version rather than just doing the slow version.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby Katiemay » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:52 pm

Marianne, congratulations!!! Good to hear you are doing well and happy. It's well deserved!

GMOKP. The heat is officially on. I may just hole up in the darkened, air conditioned house all weekend.
Katiemay

Postby Funky Begonia » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:19 am

El Bastarde wrote:
Man, I've always visualized meeting the future love of my life at a show but seems like a bad place to even try that kind of stuff. Really cool that you pulled it off.

I've also met tons of losers that way too, I just got lucky this time!

Katiemay wrote:Marianne, congratulations!!! Good to hear you are doing well and happy. It's well deserved!

Thanks so much everyone!!!
Funky Begonia
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Harpua » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:33 pm

It's Friday the 13th, and I'm in Crystal Lake. If you don't see me on Phish tour, avenge my death.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby willbreathes » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:15 pm

Avenge from Mrs Voorhies or Jason?

Because one of those, I shan't be doing.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Katiemay » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:06 pm

Harpua, Stay in pairs, don't investigate strange noises, and if anyone you're with is gone for more than 5 minutes, hightail it out of there.
Katiemay

Postby Harpua » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:32 pm

^ My boss was bragging about an amazing deal he got on a chainsaw that day. I told him I planned to avoid him for the rest of the day.

Good morning fellow trapped spirits!

I'm pretty jazzed to have Phish back!!! That was a long 7 months. I only caught the first set last night, but it sounded pretty good. Ghost went a really interesting direction. Check it out if you haven't already.

Less than a week until I get to see The Phish!
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:39 pm

Caught the All Star game which was alright. Maybe too many player interviews but I guess it didn't matter. Was humorous seeing everyone freak out when the game was tied in the 9th.

Missed the Phish last night cuz I'm dumb but will certainly catch the rest for the week. Also have Tedeschi Trucks Band on Sat which could work out where I'll be able to fire up West Coast Phish when I get home.
El Bastarde

Postby ghost » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:46 pm

Good morning. Getting back to regular summer here in Texas. Big family trip to Disney World with the inlaws the first week of July. (Super fun. Disney does not mess around.) Then this past weekend we were in Illinois to see my family. We celebrated birthdays and hung out and SirChomps and the crew and I raced go karts. I just recently learned that Phish in Austin on the 31st is a go for me, so I'm pumped about that. (Looking for my pit ticket.) My cousin still lives in Austin near the venue, so that makes it easy.

Currently in the middle of a forecast 10 consecutive 100 degree days. I just hope it cools off before Phish in Austin. Probable best case scenario: 95 instead of 105.
ghost
Human Being

Postby fone » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:42 pm

GMOKP. So this day begins my first full day of never having to work again, ie, retirement.

Am a little off put by the idea, having defined myself by the work I did on a daily basis for well over 40 years. It's a little odd to say the least.

It will be easy initially because I can fool myself into believing I'm on extended vacation. I have many things planned like Phish shows, short trips to NY and PA, David Byrne locally in early September, and a two jaunt to the southwest to explore every canyon we can, Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonland and Grand.

We're also taking a senior extension 8 week course out of Rutgers on film starting in September, and sooner than later I want to begin taking piano lessons from themomdans, when I can fit something into his busy schedule.

And of course I plan to return here since access to this site won't be blocked any longer by the vicious network weens. So I'm happy to be back and hoping to let you know what I thought about the shows tomorrow and Wednesday in Camden.
Here's your ticket pack your bag
Time for jumpin' overboard
The transportation is here
Close enough but not too far,
Maybe you know where you are
Fightin' fire with fire
fone
The Sage

Postby ghost » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:04 pm

^ Great to see you here, Bill.

So close to good morning. Good just after noon.

Phish tonight. Puts that extra something into the day. Have fun, Bill, and everyone else who is going.
ghost
Human Being

Postby hosemasterflex » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:53 pm

Good morning all y'allz what's aaaaaahhhhhhhppppp

hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby ghost » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:23 pm

^ Breakfast?