Good Morning Oh Kee Pa

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Good Morning Oh Kee Pa

Postby hosemasterflex » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:14 pm

Nope, just an abstract expression of joyful morning vibes. In the form of a giant burger for no real reason. Except you know, look at it! Joy, right?
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby ghost » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:29 pm

So much joy
ghost
Human Being

Postby fone » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:23 pm

Slept in today after two shows in succession.

This old body needs more time to rebound for sure. Last night's show was oh so strange in many ways. From being frisked at the gate, to the heat, to fans throwing up during the second song of the night and making the whole section smell like barf. Plus I was tired from the previous night and the song selection wasn't filled with many of my favorites.

But I had a great time hanging with my gson, and even though he's not likely to become a fan, it was his first large venue concert, having only been to one other in a 1400 seat theater, and I was with him to answer a lot of questions. I made lasting memories with both he and his sister, and my immortality is guaranteed in their memories. Neither will soon forget Phish at Camden with Papa.
Here's your ticket pack your bag
Time for jumpin' overboard
The transportation is here
Close enough but not too far,
Maybe you know where you are
Fightin' fire with fire
fone
The Sage

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:10 pm

My bucket list week continues as I crossed David Byrne off the list last Friday and I have ELO tonight. Then a day off tomorrow and Curveball all weekend. Should be some fun.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:04 pm

Morning Pa,

Today still doesn't feel quite right. I empathize with all the OKPers who made the trip or were planning on making the trip to Curveball. This is a disappointment of massive proportions.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:56 pm

Morning dudes. My son and I are still in shock, and I'm still tired from all the prep and then a six hour round trip cruise up & down I-90. What a drag man. Trying to make good weekend plans, to salvage my mini vacation. Slept til noon and having my first coffee.

My son said this morning, "We should be in a tent right now." LOL. Instead of this crappy house with electricity and air conditioning, I said. But yeah I wanted to be in a tent too.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby fone » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:21 pm

^^^Seeing Byrne again on the 7th, can't wait. Van Morrison is touring with Willie Nelson and Tedeschi and Trucks and will be at Camden middle of next month. Would have loved to hear a little bit of Morrison, someone I've never heard live, but alas, have commitments the day he's there.

^Hoping they make it up to you and the boy in some fantastic way.

When that rain came through our little community here in central NJ on Monday morning, I found out afterward that we received 7.53 inches of rain in just about a 3 hour period. At one point the street was a curb to curb river about three inches deep. The town just to our south, Lakewood, received the most at 8.2 inches in that period.
Fightin' fire with fire
fone
The Sage

Postby Harpua » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:36 pm

GMOKP,

If you were planning on attending Curveball, I hope you were somehow able to salvage your weekend.

I have Avett Brothers and Gov't Mule at the end of the week, so I'm looking forward to that. I've seen Warren Haynes a few times, but never Mule. Should be fun on a bun.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:00 pm

Whelp, my broken foot started hurting even more this weekend so I went back to the doctor. I'm now on crutches and I'm really not to move anywhere for two weeks. Which means I'm probably going to be unable to hit Dicks. Have no idea how I can get through that trip that on crutches and with no help. This fucking sucks.
El Bastarde

Postby delayloop » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:19 pm

El Bastarde wrote:Whelp, my broken foot started hurting even more this weekend so I went back to the doctor. I'm now on crutches and I'm really not to move anywhere for two weeks. Which means I'm probably going to be unable to hit Dicks. Have no idea how I can get through that trip that on crutches and with no help. This fucking sucks.

DISLIKE. Baby it as much as you can and hope you can get it together before Dick's!
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby delayloop » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:36 pm

Well, folks, I'm seriously considering quitting my job in the coming months so I can give being a full-time musician a try.

What that means for me in my town is playing 2-3 acoustic "cover gigs" a week, teaching about 10 private students a week, and focusing a bit more on booking/managing bands, putting more effort into running a small classical concert series, subbing for other guitarists, hosting open mics, assisting former colleagues in the music school, and positioning myself to produce more records with local bands.

I've built up a pretty solid network here over the last decade, and those who know me first as a musician have gotten really excited when I told them I was working on this. I'm confident that once I do this, those connections with strengthen. But it's not going to be an easy thing. I'll have to take a sizable pay cut for a while. I'll need to adjust my routine and quality of life for a while. I'll need to tighten up my bookkeeping and get smart about taxes and healthcare.

I'm qualified to do a number of salaried jobs. I've worked full-time since I graduated college and even earned a Master's while doing so. I've worked as a "part-time" musician this whole time, too. I'm at a place in my life where if I don't go for it now, I'll probably never get the chance. And I'm at a place in my life where I've realized I'm letting this career slip out of my fingers while I pursue what I think will make me happy. It's time to change that, man up, and do what I've worked my whole life to do.
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby Harpua » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:50 pm

El Bastarde wrote:Whelp, my broken foot started hurting even more this weekend so I went back to the doctor. I'm now on crutches and I'm really not to move anywhere for two weeks. Which means I'm probably going to be unable to hit Dicks. Have no idea how I can get through that trip that on crutches and with no help. This fucking sucks.

That sucks, man. I hope you have the speediest of recoveries and are able to make it to Dick's.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby SuperJay » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:20 pm

For the first time in 6-8 years, Good morning OKP! Long time no see :wave:

I've been thinking of you guys lately, especially in the run-up to Curveball. I'd even packed my "Oh Kee Pa Lounge - Feeling Breezy" t-shirt that @cincyreba made all those many years ago, thinking I'd wear it at the fest and see if the fates conspired to bring me into contact with any other OKPers. Alas, it was not to be. :|

Hope everyone landed okay after the cancellation - we ended up in a lakeside hike-in campground just over the border in PA, in a state park that had some open sites available on Thursday. About 20 mins from where we were on the highway - maybe 30 miles away from WG at the time - so it worked out okay. Still kind of processing the whole thing, though; it wasn't quite "real" for me until after we came home on Monday and I started reading all the online coverage of the cancellation. Seeing the stage and some of the other installations inside the festival site really brought home how much we missed.

It's odd for me b/c I'm not really a die-hard Phish dude these days; I still like them and I still listen to my fave shows and stuff, but I haven't seen them in a couple years, and the last show I hit was a local one. I haven't done a multi-night run - let alone a leg of tour - in a long, long time. But I was really looking forward to Curveball, especially as it would have been my girlfriend's first Phish show. We'd been preparing for months, too! Hopefully she isn't too turned off by this whole experience and we'll end up hitting some shows next spring/summer.

Anyway, hope you're all happy and healthy, enjoying the summer and getting your live music fix whenever possible. 8-) Peace y'all!
SuperJay

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ghost » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:15 pm

Fone, delayloop ( :thumbup: for full time musician), SuperJay, great to see you here.

Good morning.

Curveball? Ah yes. Ghastly business that. Maybe they'll do something cool to make up for it.

Stevo, I hope your foot is better for Dicks.

School started this week, so that's been the main focus. 1st grade and 3rd grade.

Summer is far from over. 99 today. 100 tomorrow. Too hot.
ghost
Human Being

Postby themomadans » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:42 pm

Holy hell, SuperJay's returned! Dude, if I'm not mistaken, was it you who had recently responded to a comment of mine in the /r/jazz subreddit? Thought I saw a familiar username... :think: :)
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best
themomadans

Postby Katiemay » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:40 pm

GAOKP. I love coming on and seeing action around here!

So very sorry to all the would be Curveball attendees.

Best of luck, delayloop! Very exciting move and I commend your willingness to take the leap! I am too afraid to even try a new employer in the same career because of the potential pay cut.

Quick healing thoughts, Stevo. Maybe your foot will feel up to it by this time next week if you really baby it now.

Hey SuperJay!
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:54 pm

Wow, nice to see the SuperJay cameo! Been seeing some old names pop up lately which is nice.

I kinda doubt my foot's going to be better for Dick's and I'm still not to put any weight on it and be on crutches past that weekend. It sucks because I have a feeling they're going to toss some of the special stuff they had saved for Curveball to the folks at Dick's. I was pretty bummed for a while but there's always next year.

Guess I'll get to watch a weekend of college football instead which isn't so bad. Urban Meyer lives, I see.
Last edited by El Bastarde on Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Bastarde

Postby fone » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:31 pm

^I wasn't around for the broken foot episode. Sounds kind of bad if it's still painful. I still have intermittent pain from an Achilles tendon tear from 15 years ago. When it hurts a lot, I have to put on this soft cast boot for a day or two and do some stretching exercises which returns it to a painless state until I do something stoopit to injure it again.

^^Hey Katiemay. How're things in the Mohawk River Valley? Did you ever get that house? Hoping all is well for you.

GMOKP! Having a text exchange with our eldest grandchild, Olivia. She moved away last year to Cortland NY for a job opportunity, and so we stay connected through texting mostly.

But that's not what I'm here about. For those who don't see updates on fb, retirement has been pretty decent as I come up to the end of my third week. Besides the two Camden shows, the family and friends have thrown me a couple of parties and/or dinners, I bought the new used truck I've been searching for over the past six months, and I've been playing farmer brown as most of the veggies we planted last Spring are bearing fruit like crazy. Since we bought a full awning over the deck, I've also been spending lots of time with my feet up relaxing outside. Yeah, it's been a very nice retirement so far.

What makes it all the more pleasurable is that we met with our financial advisor this week to set some products in motion and she told us that because I continued to work until I was 70.5, we're in better shape than we thought. We'll be able to maintain a pretty decent lifestyle even with inflation, until we're 99. That knowledge relieves the stress that might have prevented that possibility. :lolno:

Having Marie's birthday dinner tonight with the family instead of next Friday on her birthday because two of the gkids have to leave for college next week, and she wants everyone to attend. There are four family birthdays in August and this will be the third dinner we've attended. Gotta stop this high living.
Fightin' fire with fire
fone
The Sage

Postby Katiemay » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:03 pm

fone wrote:^^Hey Katiemay. How're things in the Mohawk River Valley? Did you ever get that house? Hoping all is well for you.

Hey Bill! Things are just fine here in the MV. Having a run of great weather after a lot of humidity this summer. I did get the house. Moved in just about 2 years ago. In fact, I think of you at times because you posted about location and aiming for the worst house in the best neighborhood. That is sort of what I ended up doing, and I am very happy with where I am. I hope in my long off retirement, I am able to securely enjoy my home and life as well you are.
Katiemay

Postby hosemasterflex » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:12 am

Good morning dudes. It's 12.08am here in RI, and I thought of digging out some Good Night thread, but thought shit, this works.

Besides, I can echo the happy sentiment of the returning posts of fone and SuperJay, clevername, errand wolfe, who else? It's kind of an echo of how I'm happy Phish is still being Phish, that this forum is still somehow here.

In a few short hours I'll be draggin' my ass out of bed to meet my friends for a carpool to a course we've never tried. Warren? MA I think, "501" it's called. I wonder if it's named for the jeans.

If you have only one leg, is it your jean? Your dress clothes include a pant? I am hated in some circles for this kind of bullsh!t.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Harpua » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:03 pm

GMOKP,

The Avett Bro's and Gov't Mule (Dark Side of the Mule) was a great time. The opening act was kinda "meh," but The Avett Brothers were great. I didn't know most of the songs, but there was nothing that I didn't enjoy. Mule was an absolute tour de force. They started out with two originals, then the rest was Floyd.

Also, when Tinley Park is only at quarter capacity, it isn't really that bad.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby fone » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:42 pm

^^^That's super Katiemay, so happy you have your own place. Slow regular improvements to your house over time and as you can afford them, typically pay off in a stable neighborhood. Homeowning can't be confused with investing for financial gain unless you're in the flipping business, but it is a level of security that makes life easier overall.

Before I left work, a young person that shared the office with me would come in early as did I and she would share some of her social exploits especially after the weekend. On the last Monday I worked she told me about cucumber vodka, something that I was astounded at having existed in the first place. She even recommended some brands, and I casually indicated that I would have to try it.

The night of my last day at work, some of the family took me out to dinner to celebrate and there on the drink menu was a cucumber vodka Collins, which I jumped on. Not only was it as tasty and refreshing as Lea had indicated, but it packed a subtle kick that was quite nice.

So I bought a bottle. Didn't really try doing anything with it until this past Sunday when I was in the kitchen most of the day processing the tomatoes coming out of the garden. I made Marie and I a couple of cucumber Vodka Collins and they were better than at the restaurant, cool and refreshing as we sat on the deck with some homemade guacamole. Who would have thunk that cucumbers could be used so happily.
Fightin' fire with fire
fone
The Sage

Postby SuperJay » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:51 pm

themomadans wrote:Holy hell, SuperJay's returned! Dude, if I'm not mistaken, was it you who had recently responded to a comment of mine in the /r/jazz subreddit? Thought I saw a familiar username... :think: :)

Ha!! REALLY?! Yeah, I frequent /r/jazz so that was probably me! Was it that recent comment thread about the insular music interests among many Phish fans? :P :lol: (Present company excepted, of course!)

Hola to Katiemay, El Bastarde, fone, and all y'all <3 Still reflecting on the Curveball situation, but looking forward to the Dick's stream this weekend. It'll be a slightly less muddy way to introduce my girl to the world of live Phish. :angel:
SuperJay

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby phishinsky » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:38 pm

Hola....
"Art isn’t about perfection. It is what is created when trying to reach perfection that matters!"
phishinsky
Northern Jedi

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:04 pm

For those who don't see updates on fb, retirement has been pretty decent as I come up to the end of my third week.

I'm not on the Facebook so this is the first I've seen it. Belated congrats on your retirement, sir!

So I'm still off my feet on crutches but I'm supposed to see the doc on Tuesday about getting off them. Foot feels better but I'm not sure it's ready to be out of the boot. Still missing Dick's and it's going to be painful listening to the streams of it while being bummed that I should be there...part of me doesn't want to hear them.

But, even worse is the fact that last Friday I was outside at dusk for maybe five minutes and just got assaulted by some band of insects on both of my knees...I'm still not sure what it was and I didn't even notice it at the time. And of course it got infected and I have a staph infection in leg.

I saw the doc on Tues and got a bunch of antibiotics but it's just so uncomfortable. The infection has this stiffness in the leg, it constantly itches and the biggest wound is the size of a plum and just spews puss all day long. We marked off the redness of the infection on my leg so I could track it and it seems like it's not getting bigger and may start receding. I can't even sleep with covers since them touch the bites causes them to itch like crazy. Never thought it'd be more annoying than a broke foot but it absolutely is.

On the bright side, the sports dead zone probably officially ends today with tons of college football tonight. Can't wait.
El Bastarde

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion