Life on planet Earth

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Life on planet Earth

Postby gamecat » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:51 pm

:wtf:
Flying bear kills two Canadians in freak accident

OTTAWA (Reuters) – Two Canadians died instantly in a freak accident when a car hit a 440-pound (200-kg) black bear and sent the animal flying straight through the windshield of an oncoming vehicle, local media said Wednesday.

The bear's body hit the 25-year-old driver and a 40-year-old man sitting behind her and then shot out of the back window. The bear also died.

The accident happened Monday night in a rural area about 25 miles north of the federal capital Ottawa.

"We don't see (this) often, even if we live in the country. Lots of deer, but collisions with a bear and two people died? That's really rare," local police spokesman Martin Fournel told the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.

Collisions between vehicles and animals are common in Canada, which has a healthy population of large wild animals such as moose and deer.
gamecat
The Shepherd

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby the dooj » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:24 pm

"The good outnumber you, and we always will."
the dooj

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby gamecat » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:59 pm

^ I fucking love that guy. That's awesome.

I've had a big man crush on Grohl for years and that right there is a big reason why.
One cool guy who doesn't screw around. He lives and breathes rock and roll.

:thumbup:
gamecat
The Shepherd

Postby the dooj » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:03 pm

You don't come to my show to fight, you come to my show and fucking dance, you asshole!

the dooj

Postby gamecat » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:14 pm

doojer wrote:You don't come to my show to fight, you come to my show and fucking dance, you asshole!

That would be the perfect T-Shirt.
A picture of Grohl with that written underneath it in quotes. :lol:

:think:
gamecat
The Shepherd

Postby gamecat » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:46 pm

Holy Crap!

A marijuana plantation of nearly 300 acres has been found by Mexican forces in the Baja California desert more than 150 miles south of Tijuana......could produce around 120 tons of marijuana when harvested.

:shock:

You have to see the video of the fly-over of the field:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... t=1&f=1001
gamecat
The Shepherd

Postby Katiemay » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:08 pm

I don't like the Foo Fighters music much, but I love Dave Grohl.
Katiemay

Postby Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:45 am

gamecat wrote:could produce around 120 tons of marijuana when harvested.

120 tons is nothing...check Will's pants.
How can you dream lines of poetry you don't know?
Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus
Site Admin

Postby fone » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:40 pm

:shock:
Go down in your own way
And everyday is the right day
And as you rise above the fear lines in his frown
You look down
Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd
fone
The Sage

Postby Brother » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:48 pm

I just found out from Animal Planet that there is a place in India called Cherrapunji. The wettest place on Earth. Other than the oceans I guess? Anyway, the mountain has many rivers and gorges and places that need crossing. So...here is what they do...Incredible. I totally suck in comparison to innovative humans like these people.

http://rootbridges.blogspot.com/
Brother

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:01 am

THAT'S AWESOME.

I don't know about those people being any more amazing than your everyday human; to me it's a reminder that there's great intelligence, possibly God, and I think that idea is beautiful and terrible. But we all wrestle with whether it's cool or not, that there might be a God. Cuz we smoke a lotta weed.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby gamecat » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:38 pm

So I know this thread is Life on planet earth.

But how about life IN planet earth.
Check out this new Earthscraper design. Pretty cool. Pretty much the opposite of a skyscraper.
Pretty cool if you're interested in architecture.

http://dvice.com/archives/2011/09/earthscraper-co.php#6
gamecat
The Shepherd

Postby Katiemay » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:50 pm

^^^Way cool. They are no less innovative than you necessarily, they were driven toward it by basic survival and evolutionary need.
Katiemay

Postby gamecat » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:44 am

Careful if you're ever mountian biking in Africa! :shock:

I love it how the dude even points it out and still gets rocked.

On the bright side, at least it wasn't Lion.
Which makes me think why anyone would wanna ride their bike in the open plains of Africa anyway.
It's not New York dude, animals there will eat you.
gamecat
The Shepherd

Postby Katiemay » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:56 am

^^Ouch! Saw that on the news this morning. It's an antelope! Guy sure was lucky he got up from that.
Katiemay

Postby Clark W. Griswold » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:48 pm

Set the gearshift! :geek:
We passed a goddamn gas station every 10 yards for 1000 miles, but when you really need one, you end up walking your ass off. This is no way to run a desert!
Praise Marty Moose!
Clark W. Griswold

Postby gamecat » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:41 am

Dog survived gas chamber, now up for adoption in NJ

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/do ... 12380.html

gamecat
The Shepherd

Postby Katiemay » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:40 pm

This is chilling.

Zetas Drug Cartel Reportedly Murders Internet Chat Room Users

MEXICO CITY -- Mexico's hyperviolent Zetas drug cartel appears to be launching what may be one of the first campaigns by an organized crime group to silence commentary on the Internet.

The cartel has already attacked rivals, journalists and other perceived enemies. Now, the target is an online chat room, Nuevo Laredo en Vivo, that allows users to comment on the activities of the Zetas and others in the city on the border with Texas.

Already, three apparent site users have been slain, and a fourth victim may have been discovered Wednesday, when a man's decapitated body was found with what residents said was a banner suggesting he was killed for posting on the site. Chat room users said they could not immediately confirm the victim's identity, because people all post under aliases.

Despite such precautions, users are highly vulnerable, and the Zetas could be tracking them from clues they leave online, experts said Thursday.

A female chat room user was found decapitated in September with a similar message as the one found Wednesday and at the exact same spot, with a message signed with the letter "Z," which refers to the Zetas. Residents couldn't fully read the latest message, because the dead man's body was laid on top of it, in what appeared to be a more hurried execution.

"I don't know of anything like this having happened anywhere else in the world," said Jorge Chabat, an expert in safety and drug trafficking at the Center for Research and Teaching in Economics in Mexico. "It is certainly new and worrisome ... it is a frontal confrontation against the public; it is not just a confrontation with the government anymore."

Drug cartels in Mexico have frequently attacked traditional print newspapers, by tossing explosives at their offices or killing, kidnapping or threatening reporters. Violence against journalists in Tamaulipas state, where Nuevo Laredo is located, has led local media to censor themselves, leaving residents on their own to separate fact from pervasive rumors spread on social networks.

Juan Carlos Romero, who helps lead the press freedom group Article 19, said local newspapers have often stopped publishing crime reports out of fear, leading residents to turn more to the Internet for information like that posted Thursday on Nuevo Laredo en Vivo: where gunshots have been heard, where vehicles suspected of carrying cartel lookouts have been seen, which streets are safe to travel.

"What are people doing in the face of the lack of information, the kind of information you need to make decisions: Where can I drive? Can I leave the house?" said Romero. "People are forging new channels of communication on the Internet, social networks, Twitter, blogs, Facebook."

Drug cartels appear to have learned that such Internet sites reach far more readers than northeastern Mexico's small regional newspapers and have adjusted their attacks accordingly.

"We are witnessing a new behavior of criminal forces in the country," said Erick Fernandez, a communications professor at the IberoAmerican University in Mexico City. "We are in a new phase."

Romero agreed. "It appears to me that organized crime is trying to get common citizens to stop real-time coverage of violence," he said, saying that "the intimidation is having a multiplier effect."

Some of the site users vowed to forge on despite the two decapitations and the September slayings of two other people whose bodies were found hanging from an overpass in Nuevo Laredo with a message threatening: "This is what will happen" to trouble-making Internet users. That message was also signed with a "Z."

"I am ready to lay down my life for the cause, if the soldiers take heed of my reports ... (if) the risk (serves) for something," said one user who posted under the tag "Anon5182."

Despite heightened security awareness among the site's users Thursday, with warnings not to share personal information with anyone, they remain tremendously vulnerable, said Matt Harrigan, chief executive of the San Diego, California-based security firm Critical Assets.

A trail of information like cookies, server addresses, login and account information was easy visible for some users.

"I know enough about (one user) that I'm uncomfortable with how much I know about (him) just from visiting the site," said Harrigan. "Just from having looked up information about him, the number of things I know about the guy is pretty staggering."

Harrigan said it would be relatively easy, with the money the Zetas have from running drugs, to track down posters.

"If you're a Mexican cartel with hundreds of millions of dollars, there certainly are security experts in Mexico or former hackers, or whoever they are, that I'm certain they're for hire," he said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/11/zetas-internet-murder_n_1087894.html?ref=technology&ir=Technology&icid=maing-grid7%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk1%7C111894
Katiemay

Postby ghost » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:55 pm

Brrrrrrrr!

ghost
Human Being

Postby willbreathes » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:31 pm

1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby the dooj » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:18 am

the dooj

Postby Katiemay » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:44 pm

Ugh. I am afraid my comment about the pendulum swinging the other way was overly hopeful. Amist the backlash, picketing, threats of violence, and acts of violence, Black Friday was a grand success for the stores. They have now created a new Thanksgiving tradition of families gathering around the table for a feast before going out to wage war on their fellow man to buy more shit.

On the other side of it, I would not be opposed to the Black "holiday" shopping madness being directed more to online. I heard a poll yesterday that most people would prefer to shop that way. It would fulfill the bargain hunting need to shop while both employees and consumers could stay at home. And no one would have to pull guns on each other.
Katiemay

Postby the dooj » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:08 pm

Katiemay wrote:Ugh. I am afraid my comment about the pendulum swinging the other way was overly hopeful. Amist the backlash, picketing, threats of violence, and acts of violence, Black Friday was a grand success for the stores. They have now created a new Thanksgiving tradition of families gathering around the table for a feast before going out to wage war on their fellow man to buy more shit.

Yeah, it's pretty sad. The goal of these super-retailers is to breed a whole new generation that remembers growing up with families that dragged them to Wal-Mart at 8pm on Thanksgiving night as part of the family "tradition" so that when they grow up, they can pass the same, sad "tradition" on to their kids. It is the true war against the American family. They destroyed the American worker by shipping their jobs off to China, forcing prices so low that small-business, mom and pop stores were no longer able to compete and now they are going after the core idea that love is greater than money, replacing the idea of family, closeness and appreciation (thanksgiving) with materialism, competition and greed (black friday).

When Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Sears and Best Buy finally win, there will be no more families. Just zombie employees and zombie consumers..... working and spending in violent circles until they are finally dead.

So..... yeah..... neeedless to say, I won't be buying any gifts this year.
the dooj

Postby El Bastarde » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:31 am

^Bah, it's just one small pocket of the overall holiday. Like so many things in life, if you ignore it, it shockingly goes away. Don't play the game and don't worry about it and remember that there are SO many wonderful folks out there. That's what it's about. Buy gifts because you enjoy seeing the faces of your friends and family when they open them. That's what it's all about.
El Bastarde

Postby goldphish » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:41 pm

I see nothing wrong with going shopping after the family meal... could be worse things to do... and those families that are actually well-functioning and structured probably have enough discipline to wait till Friday. :angel:

If you're a retail worker and don't like it... well, find another job, I'm not shedding a tear because you have to work. In healthcare we don't get off for holidays, you don't hear us whining. We just whine silently. :mrgreen:
goldphish
White Mountain Scallop

Blog: View Blog (2)

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion