Life on planet Earth

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Life on planet Earth

Postby the dooj » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:27 pm

^I have had to work plenty of Thanksgivings (and other holidays), as well. But, I do feel like retail is exactly the type of job you would take if you were looking for a gig with benefits and holidays off..... or at least, it used to be.

And, no, there's nothing wrong with deciding to do a little shopping after your holiday meal, I guess.... but, imo, there is something seriously wrong with the biggest retailers in America not just being open for those who feel like shopping.... but to go so far as to say that if you have the audacity to spend the night with your family, rather than in line, then you do not get the best deals or best prices. The best deals only go to those who are willing to ditch their T-day dinner and get in line.

That, imo, is a sad precedent to create.

El Bastarde wrote: Buy gifts because you enjoy seeing the faces of your friends and family when they open them. That's what it's all about.

If my presence isn't enough to light up their faces, then fuck 'em! :mrgreen: :angel:
"The good outnumber you, and we always will."
the dooj

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby the dooj » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:35 pm

Oh, btw, there was this "small business saturday" yesterday where Amex gave a $25 credit for using your amex at any mom and pop store or family owned restaurant in the amount of more than $25..... to me, those are the kind of businesses we should be lining up outside of.
"The good outnumber you, and we always will."
the dooj

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Joffrey » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:36 pm

I visited a few mom and pop bookstores today... just browsed though, didn't have what i was looking for, however i found an excellent puzzle i think i'll be picking up for the holidays. black thursday doesn't bother me so much but if we lose all the book stores to the e book thing or some such other welp that'd be a crying shame.
Joffrey
White Mountain Scallop

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Katiemay » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:30 pm

Or death on planet earth. Stories like this are incredibly touching.

Ohio Couple Married 65 Years Die 11 Hours Apart

DAYTON, Ohio — Relatives of an Ohio couple who died at a nursing home 11 hours apart on the same day said their love story's ending reflects their devotion over 65 years of marriage.

Harold and Ruth Knapke died in their shared room on Aug. 11, days before their 66th anniversary, The Dayton Daily News ( ) reported. He was 91, she was 89. http://bit.ly/16KBNAJ

The couple's daughters said they believe their father willed himself to stay by his wife's side despite failing health until they could take the next step in their journey together. He went first – his children saw it as his "final act of love" – and she followed.

"We believe he wanted to accompany her out of this life and into the next one, and he did," daughter Margaret Knapke said.

The couple had known each other as children and began their courtship as pen pals while Harold, known as "Doc," served in the Army during World War II. Ruth would later joke: "I let him chase me until I caught him!"

Her husband became a teacher, coach and athletic director at Fort Recovery Schools, the newspaper said. They raised six children while looking after each other with a devotion that didn't seem to diminish.

A photo taken this summer shows him lying in a bed, arm stretched through a guardrail to hold her hand, as she leans in to press the top of her head to his. When she was ailing, he blessed her each night with holy water, daughter Pat Simon said.

The Knapkes had a joint funeral Mass, with granddaughters carrying Ruth's casket and grandsons carrying Harold's casket. The cemetery procession stopped at the farm house where the couple had lived, and the current owners surprised the family by flying a flag at half-staff to honor the longtime loves.

"It is really just a love story," said Carol Romie, another daughter. "They were so committed and loyal and dedicated, they weren't going to go anywhere without the other one."
Katiemay

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Katiemay » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:12 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/27/russian-ice-cave-mutnovsky-volcano_n_3822632.html

Russian Ice Cave Near The Mutnovsky Volcano Is Otherworldly

Nature, man. Believe it or not, this amazing, otherworldly ice cave is actually real.

The photos popped up on Reddit last week and are apparently at the base of the Mutnovsky volcano in Russia, according to a translation from photographer Denis Bud'ko's blog.

The half-mile long cave was formed by a stream that flows through glacial fields at the bottom of the volcano. Bud'ko wrote that the passage is usually too small to enter, but light snowfall and an unusually hot summer created these massive caverns with a nearly transparent roof, reminiscent of a stained-glass cathedral.

Katiemay

Postby AsianGirl » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:10 am

^ wow these photos are pretty amazing. Besides the red one, I wonder if the other 'colors' are naturally occurring, or also the result of a man--made light-source?
*Everything from now on is all Gravy*
AsianGirl

Postby Katiemay » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:52 pm

Is this shit real? It sounds freaky. I only watched the 2 vids I'm posting here plus one other from the Czech Republic, but the article talks about many more and I see there are a lot when I search on youtube. Devin, have you heard this?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/30/strange-sounds-heard_n_3845343.html?ref=topbar

Strange Sounds Heard In Terrace, British Columbia, May Be Connected To Worldwide Phenomenon

This video is like a real-life horror movie.

Kimberly Wookey of Terrace, British Columbia, woke up early Thursday morning to a loud, strange trumpet-like sound. She'd heard the sounds before, back in June, so she grabbed her camera and recorded it. This time, she said, the noises were more intense. Her 7-year-old son was already in the living room -- he had heard the sounds and was scared, she said.

Wookey recorded the bizarre moaning noises from her living room and then posted them online, where she saw other reports of people who'd heard similar noises. One resident thought someone was dragging a dumpster and the lack of wind that day allowed the sound to carry through the valley. However, Wookey's video appears to show a quite a bit of wind.

Some claim her video is fake, and that the sounds were taken from this scene in the 2011 horror movie "Red State."

The local police aren't sure where the sounds came from.

Click the video above to watch.

Similar sounds have been heard elsewhere in Canada and around the world.

One day in January 2012, in the small town of North Battleford, Saskatchewan, which is 1,000 miles east of Terrace, a local radio station got around 40 calls from residents asking about strange sounds in the sky. In the far-flung community of Conklin, Alberta, which is over 300 miles from North Battleford and over 1,000 miles from Terrace, a creepy video filmed in the forest purports to show a similar phenomenon. ("It sounds like the planet is screaming in pain," one commenter wrote.) A few days after the video in Conklin appeared, a video filmed in the town of The Pas, Manitoba -- a 13-hour drive southeast -- shows more or less the same thing.

In Chicago, Ill., sounds were heard that were also very similar to those recorded by Wookey. "The weird noise started a couple days ago," the uploader wrote in January 2012. "It's loud and even violent at times."

A video from last year in Texas, this one titled "Strange sounds coming from the sky," shows a group of puzzled people listening to the eerie noises.

Other videos claim to have captured the unexplained noises in Michigan, New York and as far away as Spain and Norway. Sometimes the noise sounds like an animal moaning, other times it's a low rumble, a whine or a thumping.

The comments sections of these videos are full of people quoting the Bible or claiming the noises are a portent of the apocalypse. Others say the noises are a sign of extra-terrestrial life in the Earth's vicinity.

Of course, a good deal of skepticism is required here -- you can't believe everything you see on YouTube, no matter how real it looks. One video that purportedly captured the strange sounds in Edmonton, Alberta, has garnered almost 800,000 views, despite being an admitted hoax. Many others have been pulled from YouTube for various violations, a possible sign that copycats have seized on the trend and produced bogus videos.

But just because some of these videos were a ruse doesn't mean others aren't real. Many were uploaded in different places around the same time (most from the early months of 2012), lending credence to their claims. So far, perhaps the best explanation we've heard came from University of Saskatchewan physics professor Jean Pierre St. Maurice, who said the noises may be from electromagnetic waves emitted from aurora, natural light displays in the sky at high latitudes.

We are keeping our ears open for other explanations.

Katiemay

Postby Buster » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:29 pm

^Just Trey messing with some feedback. No need to worry. Perhaps he's added a THIRD compressor?!
Buster
The NorEaster

Postby Katiemay » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:46 pm

Katiemay

Postby Katiemay » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:12 pm

Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:12 pm

AWWWW.
El Bastarde

Postby Katiemay » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:45 pm

If you go down in the woods today you're sure of a big surprise
If you go down in the woods today you'd better go in disguise
For every bear that ever there was will gather there for certain
Because today's the day the Teddy Bears have their picnic

Every Teddy Bear who's been good is sure of a treat today
There's lots of marvellous things to eat and wonderful games to play
Beneath the trees where nobody sees they'll hide and seek as long as they please
That's the way the Teddy Bears have their picnic
Picnic time for Teddy Bears
The little Teddy Bears are having a lovely time today
Watch them, catch them unawares and see them picnic on their holiday
See them gaily gad about
They love to play and shout
They never have any cares
At six o'clock their Mummies and Daddies will take them home to bed
'Cause they're tired little Teddy Bears

If you go down in the woods today you better not go alone
It's lovely down in the woods today but saver to stay at home
For every bear that ever there was will gather there for certain
Because today's the day the Teddy Bears have their picnic

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2511213/Adorable-moment-baby-bear-cubs-grasp-paws-dance-joyfully-circle.html
Katiemay

Postby Katiemay » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:08 pm

I came in here to post pictures from the 2013 National Geographic photo contest. Upon previewing my post, I saw the pictures were all cut off and one didn't appear, so I google imaged in an attempt to find the pictures from another server. What I came across was a collection of some of the most stunning photographs I have ever laid eyes on. I won't even try to choose any to post here, I'll just provide the link for your ocular pleasure.

https://www.google.com/search?q=national+geographic+photo+contest&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=LsiYUvf_OsS2kQe4uIC4Ag&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=662#imgdii=_
Katiemay

Postby AsianGirl » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:26 pm

^ Nice! I'm gonna come back to your link when I'm itching to look at some nice pics of nature, etc. Prob the next time I take some chocolates >.<
AsianGirl

Postby Katiemay » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:35 pm

http://cavaliergalleries.com/html/ArtistBio.asp?artnum=1075

Bradley Hart ARTIST STATEMENT

My work is an album of memories made by injecting bubble wrap with paint to create pixilated photorealistic pictures. The pictures are copies of both snap shots captured by me or given to me and maintained as a part of my own personal photograph collection, as well as powerful images obtained from other sources.

To create the Bubble Wrap pieces I inject each bubble individually with acrylic paint, acutely aware of the exchange between paint and the air inside as one of those two elements displaces the other. As the paint is injected into a bubble the excess drips down the back of the piece. Upon completion of the injected work, the drippings are removed surgically from the backside of the plastic to reveal an impression of the work -- a derivative work with its own meaning and story. Viewed together, the pieces each seem to engage the other and the viewer becomes an observer of a relationship created between the two.

At every level of my studio practice I recycle as a function of the work. I recycle the syringes; the dried paint in the mixing jar and collect the drips of paint on the bubble wrap and the drop sheet. I then make derivative works, which repurpose the waste. Bubble Wrap evokes the plastic nature of our society. 99% of everything we use is made out of plastic… a substance derived from crude oil. Most consumer goods are molded plastic and are made through mass manufacturing. The injection process is complex and time consuming, which highlights the irony of applying such delicate physical artistry to a mass-produced material and the indestructible nature of plastic versus the fragility of bubble wrap.

The idea of using bubble wrap came from a few experiences where overzealous museum security guards instructed patrons not to touch works of art and a left over roll of bubble from wrapping my first solo show in NYC. After researching the material, I found that bubble wrap was originally invented in 1957 as a modern form of wall covering; an experiment or product that failed. My first piece in the series (not shown) “ Fulfilling My Creator’s Intended Purpose” is bubble wrap stretched over a stretcher and signed, paying homage to its original use and at the same time flipping its usage as protective covering for art into art itself.

The bare bubbles in the bubble wrap reference dots or pixels, echoing various movements in art history and other media, including pointillism, screen-printing, TVs and LCD monitors. In today’s world people do not print their pictures for an album. Their albums are on Facebook, Flickr and Instagram, all exotic rote, yet combinations of 1’s and 0’s. The process of injecting paint into bubble wrap directly references pixilation (and those 1’s and 0’s) and at the same time harkens back to the time of family portrait painting, when a family’s personal “photo” album consisted of paintings hanging on its walls.

Photography helps us to consolidate our memories, i.e. to keep stable, constructed memories that cannot be undone. However, memory is somewhat plastic in nature. We essentially reconstruct our memories with every recall of a person, place or thing, and reconstruct them differently each additional time they enter our minds .

The act of constructing an album is a deliberate act in time and place, devised of a specific set of memories that evoke a tailored narrative. Each of my series is comprised of my personal choice of memories of people at particular places and times. Many of the portraits are of artist friends. The cityscapes are of distinct places and experiences that for reason indescribable became imbedded in my mind.

In viewing the series, I hope the viewer will contemplate what a personal album means as a work of art. Typically, albums are meant to be shared with family and friends as a way of creating and strengthening interpersonal connections. These albums, devoid of personal context for the viewer, will require something antithetical to the usual purpose of an album. In other words – what meaning can be derived from someone else’s album? Is it just a conglomeration of images that will produce individual reactions, or will the viewer strive to find meaning in the collection of images that are strung together for reasons unknown.

http://cavaliergalleries.com/html/artistresults.asp?artist=1075&testing=true

Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:10 pm

^It'd be so hard to just start squashing those bubbles...
El Bastarde

Postby Katiemay » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:17 pm

He doesn't squash them. He injects each bubble with paint. The dripping is what happens naturally. Unless you meant it'd be hard to NOT just start squashing those bubbles?

Here are some Christmas traditions from around the world:

Roller-skating is a lost art. But not in Caracas, Venezuela, where it is the traditional mode of transportation on Christmas Day. It is customary for children to tie strings to their toes on Christmas Eve before going to sleep, leaving them to dangle out their windows while they rest. In the morning, church-bound skaters tug the strings to wake the young ones from their slumber.

"Tió de Nadal" is a Christmas character from Catalonia, Spain. Beginning on Dec. 8, children stuff the Tió, a hollow log painted with a grinning face, with various candies and nuts each night. Tió is bundled up in a cozy blanket for the duration of his stay indoors. On Christmas Day, kids take sticks to poor Tió, beating him until these "gifts" are deposited from his rear end.

Kurisumasu Ni Wa Kentakkii! (Kentucky for Christmas!)
In Japan, Christmas is synonymous with… Kentucky Fried Chicken. Only one percent of Japanese actually celebrate Christmas, but ever since KFC launched a massively successful campaign in 1974 promoting its Christmas meals, droves of Japanese flock to KFCs across the country on Dec. 25.

If you have a raging appetite on Christmas morning, Greenland is not the place to be. Months before the yuletide season begins, Auk birds are in high demand. Their meat is stripped, wrapped in seals' skin, and left to age under a rock for months. The rancid meat is served up on the 25th for all to enjoy... or not.

In countries around the globe, New Year's customs often revolve around welcoming good fortune and prosperity in the coming year. In the Philippines, round fruits symbolize these ideals and are incorporated as the New Year approaches. Bowls of fruit are set out on tables and some party-goers even don polka-dotted clothing. Similarly, in Spain, citizens wolf down 12 grapes at midnight. Each grape is said to bring good luck for each month of the year.

Christmas trees in Ukraine are traditionally adorned with fake spiders and webs, which are considered symbols of good luck. As with every good tradition, the habit comes with a moralizing story. Legend has it there once was a poor widow living with her children in a shack. One year, the family managed to obtain a Christmas tree but had no money to decorate it. On Christmas morning, however, spiders spun webs in the tiny tannenbaum, and when the children awoke, the tree appeared to be full of silver and gold.
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:23 pm

Unless you meant it'd be hard to NOT just start squashing those bubbles?

Ya, that’s what I meant. Nice of me to leave out the one word that changes the statement completely.

In Japan, Christmas is synonymous with… Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Now, those folks know what’s up. Eleven herbs and spices!
El Bastarde

Postby Katiemay » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:20 pm

Man creates incredible snow art with a compass and snowshoes

Simon Beck is an artist, but he doesn’t use a paintbrush or pencil to create his work. Instead, a blanket of snow is his canvas: He trudges around and around in a pair of snowshoes until he creates a beautiful, massive design.

Beck, who is British, is an orienteering mapmaker and created his first work of art in 2004, according to his Facebook. He first created a five-pointed star with circles between the points. When that was covered by a new snowfall, he created a 10-pointed star instead and embarked on a new hobby

Beck said each snow drawing takes about 10 hours. He draws them ahead of time on a piece of paper as an outline, then takes his compass and snowshoes and embarks on his next masterpiece. The drawings are no easy feat. Beck wrote on his page, “The hardest past is avoiding a ‘stupid’ mistake, and the most frequent cause of those is a wrong aiming point (straight lines are made by aiming at a point in the distance but one can easily accidentally aim at the wrong point).

“The most painful part is getting changed into warmer clothes as the temperature drops, as this often means removing clothing that has got damp, and you get VERY cold in the process.”

Of course, Beck said his hobby is very rewarding. He said the coolest part is when he wraps up his drawing at night and a snowcat machine passes by, lighting up the new piece. Beck said he does most of his pieces in Savoie, France, where he lives during the ski season.

http://www.metro.us/newyork/entertainment/2013/12/26/photos-man-creates-incredible-snow-art-with-a-compass-and-snowshoes
Katiemay

Postby Katiemay » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:12 pm

http://www.buzzfeed.com/dianabruk/27-totally-baffling-russian-signs

Too many good ones to post highlights here.

I am loving the deluge of bits of quirky Russian culture surrounding the Olympics. Again, too many good ones to choose any to post here. Suffice it to say, photoshop is big over there.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/04/russian-wedding-photos_n_4724608.html
Katiemay

Postby Katiemay » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:39 pm

Danxia Landform Geological Park, China

Tulip Fields, Northern Netherlands

Bark Of A Rainbow Eucalyptus In Wailua, Hawaii

Grand Prismatic Spring, Yellowstone Park, Wyoming

Lake Hillier, Western Australia

Great Blue Hole, Belize

Valley Of Flowers National Park, Uttarakhand, India

Caño Cristales River, Meta, Colombia

Hills Of The Palouse Grasslands, Washington State
Katiemay

Postby Joffrey » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:32 am

I'd have to agree, that is a very blue hole. and pink lake. makes you wonder if you took a dip if you'd come out pink.

great pics, katie.
Joffrey
White Mountain Scallop

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Katiemay » Sun May 25, 2014 3:21 pm

Newly opened 'Napping Station' at the U of Michigan library. Great idea, but I think I would still prefer putting my head down in my own individual cubby in a quiet corner of Buff State's library.

Katiemay

Postby AsianGirl » Mon May 26, 2014 11:07 am

Hee hee that's a cute idea. Is the library open 24hrs?

Our libraries at college were, and that was definitely where loads of us had passed out whilst cramming for exams, though I blame the comfy sofas and chairs. Luckily my dorm was across the street from one of the libraries so I usually made it back to my own bed.

Those cots probably would get pretty smelly and nasty within a month if we had them, hee hee.
AsianGirl

Postby goldenroad » Mon May 26, 2014 3:53 pm

They need "napping stations" in airports.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion