Type your thoughts

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Type your thoughts

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:59 pm

I think I figured out your name....

I may have posted it on here before, not sure. There's a few others here who likely know it. I'm a little less secretive with the OKP, I guess. I'm curious if you got it right, though...

I'll keep it to myself though.

A wise idea. The Tsunamis will begin if you say it aloud.

Actually a pretty easy fix I think Bastarde, pretty sure you just have to adjust your settings on your Facebook app to what you allow it to access.

Facebook App? Yeah, I don't really have Apps or even a phone that can use them. Not to mention that getting an App for any site seems like a bad idea to me since it could potentially have access to things on your phone. I may be overreacting there but better safe than sorry.

I have gone over the Facebook settings and turned off basically anything that is invasive or annoying but there's a few they don't allow. I didn't see anything that limits who they suggest as friends, though.
El Bastarde

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:17 pm

This may be old news for some but I just watched this and fell over laughing. If you've ever worked in an office setting and do conference calls, you'll love it. I've seen every single one of these things happen multiple times.

I LOVE the guy at the end who has been in the meeting the whole time and no one notices...I've tried to do this myself a number of times by sneaking into calls early and then saying nothing the whole time.
El Bastarde

Postby Brother » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:50 pm

I get sad when I watch commercials aimed at children. I get sad because kids are easy to hook because they don't try to curb their desires or check them. So when a kid sees a commercial for a new movie, game, toy, or candy, the kid wants it and tells his parents. Then you have the parents who just want to make their kid happy so they buy whatever it is. This then has both the parent and child believing that "stuff" is necessary to happiness when really it's relationships and experiences. Is it fun to play Stratego against someone you hate? Would you rather eat a luxurious dinner alone in a beautiful dining room, or simple ham and cheese sandwiches in a beautiful park with friends? 7/10 I'm going for the average sandwiches with good friends at a nice picnic. I don't mind eating alone at all, but I'm getting away from the point now. I'm just sad at the state of consumerism in America but I feel more sad when I think about the parents who don't know how to please their child without the cool new thing. I'm not even anti-toy or anything; if you want something but it and if you want to buy your kid an action figure or a jet ski go ahead; just feel bad for the parents who struggle against the constant manufactured inadequacies that advertising projects on their kids. Am I making sense?
Brother

Postby Katiemay » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:50 pm

ICC wrote:^ I was watching ITV the other day (which has commercials) because they bought the rights to televise the Rugby World Cup. Anyway, long story short, ad came on with the question "Do you have a homework headache?" Will you A)Ask Dad for Help B)Give up or C) Take some Advil extra (could have been a different brand). I was like, what the fuck is this? Painkillers aimed at kids? What happened to the "Have a drink of water, take a break and go outside for a little while and get some fresh air" option?

Holy shit. How do they get away with that?

I'm so glad I was denied things as a kid.
Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:42 pm

Then you have the parents who just want to make their kid happy so they buy whatever it is. This then has both the parent and child believing that "stuff" is necessary to happiness when really it's relationships and experiences.

It’s probably worse than you seem. Ever seen those “Give my kid an awful present” thing that Jimmy Kimmel does. He asks people to purposely give a horrible present to their kid and then film it and send it in to Jimmy. Some of them are humorous but some of the reactions from the kids are pathetic. They break down in tears, they throw and kick the present, they say they hate their parents and the whole world, etc, etc.

And that’s just because they’re kids. Kids as a whole are selfish, base their lives on peer pressure, are materialistic and generally greedy. As moe says “kids will never say they’re sorry.” This isn’t even a bad thing…it’s how kids are. So parents can decide to continually preach thriftiness to their kids who have no chance of understanding the concept and have it result in the kids just hating them…or they can give and buy stuff because it easily makes the kid happy. I can’t blame any parent who takes the latter route and I kinda feel sorry for kids whose parents do the former.

I'm just sad at the state of consumerism in America

I’m fine with it. What’s wrong with getting stuff? My three favorite things are music, sports and video games and all are settled on me getting nice things. Now, if you’re getting stuff because everyone else has it, that’s dumb but if it makes you happy, go for it. Like with any activity, it’s only bad when it gets out of control.

But, yeah, we’re a society obsessed with what everyone else thinks, as shown by this social media nonsense. The websites are filled with “image crafting” by people trying to appear to be funnier, smarter, happier, more glamorous or more worldly than they really are. I certainly feel sorry for folks who do that but I think it helps to recognize these are mostly younger people who haven’t learned to just accept themselves how they are and not worry what others think. That’s always a peaceful point in anyone’s life. Maybe some people never realize this and it likely drives them crazy but we too often look at the actions of people who are 25 and younger (the majority of social media also makes up this age group) and assume that’s how all of society acts. It’s never the case.
El Bastarde

Postby ladyphish » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:07 pm

Watched the movie "Cowspiracy" the other day and it's really stayed with me.

I toy with veganism here and there and really feel like it's something I need to work towards. It takes alot to stay on top of it, but not only do I feel ethically it's the best choice for me, but physically I feel SOOOOOOOOOOO much better when I'm not eating animal products. I know the blood type diet catches alot of shit in the scientific community, so take it for what you will, but I personally feel 100x better when I follow the diet for Type A+'s which is vegan. Believe me, I wish it weren't so because it would make life much easier, but it truly makes me sluggish and foggy-headed. I can tell a huge difference in both mental clarity and physical wellness in about 24 hours without meat or dairy.

Plus, when I hear that it takes 600 gallon of water to produce ONE quarter lb hamburger (water for the animal itself and to grow the grain used to feed it), as someone who wants to live a simple, non-invasive life, I just can't ignore that shit. Rainforests are being destroyed to graze animals or grow the soy and corn to feed them. The methane from their digestive processes is responsible for 51% of the trouble in the atmosphere where as fossil fuels is only 13%. Next time somebody gives you shit about recycling or the car you drive or not turning off the water when you brush your teeth, ask them if they eat meat. You can be a meat and dairy-eating Prius driver and do almost 3 times as much damage to the environment as a vegan who drives a Hummer! So if an environmentalist eats meat and dairy, they're a fucking hypocrite. Period.

Whatever you think about eating meat, all the water and land needed to raise them and their food is simply not sustainable. The numbers don't lie.

It's really crazy to think about. I hope my brain turns off soon :-)
I've been doing this a long time and have seen lots of changes most of which I can't fucking stand...but I still go anyway because I'm there for the MUSIC and so I tolerate all that other bullshit because I DO get the point. So there :-)
ladyphish
The No Good Pa

Postby phishinsky » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:12 am

Going to see Slah w/ Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators...
"Art isn’t about perfection. It is what is created when trying to reach perfection that matters!"
phishinsky
Northern Jedi

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:59 pm

^I'll assume you're seeing Slash. I always considered that but I don't know any of his non-GNR stuff. Seems like it'd be a trip.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:21 pm

I have heard one song by Slash w/ Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators.

It was great. Sounded like a young GnR.

I think I may have listened to the album once... but if I did, it was very forgettable.

If I didn't, I'm not sure why I didn't.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:27 pm

I listened to most of the Velvet Revolver album and wasn't that impressed though I like to blame Scott Weiland for that and let the GnR guys off the hook. I can't say much about their other stuff. It's still wild when I look back and realize that GnR really only was around for three albums (I count the Use Your Illusions as one double-album mostly). Amazing for a band to have such an impact and on so little.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:09 am

Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus wrote:Chili bean float dip one slice egg boys.

Bob Dylan forever.

I had a big bowl of soup followed by a sesame bar and then I ate a sour rip roll.

I hope Jimi is jamming with Frank and Jerry.

I don't drink enough water.

A part of me wishes a sequel to The Big Lebowski was made but then I remember how special it is as a one off.

Cups of tea.

almost nine years.... I wonder if Bob Dylan is still forever.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby marley » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:19 pm

Time for the Sunday pizza potato, which is a baked potato with sauce and mozzerella. nom nom nom!
#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Postby ghost » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:31 pm

El Bastarde wrote:But, yeah, we’re a society obsessed with what everyone else thinks,

A long, but interesting, article I read the other day:
http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/06/taming-mammoth-let-peoples-opinions-run-life.html
ghost
Human Being

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:33 pm

^Yeah, nice read. I think someone posted the Social media article by the same author here a while back.
El Bastarde

Postby marley » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:56 am

Just saw this. I was a huge fan in the early 80's

marley
West Side Wook

Postby marley » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:48 am

Basketball players sure do like hookers!
marley
West Side Wook

Postby marley » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:28 pm

Boy, there sure are a lot of pissed off people in this world.
marley
West Side Wook

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:38 pm

^Naw, just a couple.
El Bastarde

Postby marley » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:43 am

John Mayer is better than I expected. Had a blast at the Dead & Co shows over the weekend.

Thank you for a real good time!
marley
West Side Wook

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:50 pm

John Mayer is better than I expected.

I figured he would be. I couldn't imagine Bobby recruiting him based on just Body is a Wonderland. Wish they had come around here.
El Bastarde

Postby goldenroad » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:41 am

Mayer is destroying. Have streamed a lot of shows so far. Guy is pretty pretty pretty good. It's not fair to compare this to FTW because Phil is noticeably absent, but man, Mayer is really holding his own. I didn't think he could pull it off, but yeah, he does.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby hosemasterflex » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:11 pm

We just bought a tree, for what will be our fifteenth Christmas in this house, and maybe our last. Yesterday we signed the contracts for our buyer, and now it's the remaining hurdles of inspections and financing. Might be moving in just under two months!

Anyway the tree's nice. A little big. Wife and I went to buy it, just the two of us ... kids preferred to do their own thing cuz they're old now. Good thing we're not.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby fone » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:51 pm

And now it's time to un-decorate.

Don't really appreciate this weekend of the year. All of the Christmas junk gets re-boxed and hauled into the attic again, not to be seen until after Thanksgiving.

It's also a weekend for heavier than usual cleaning. Because there're so many people coming and going for three weeks around the holiday, we only cursory clean the place because there just ain't no point. But this weekend furniture gets moved and floors get washed and cabinets get wiped down from all the cooking that went on in the kitchen.

Yeah, it's an ugly weekend coming up for sure. All those ornaments that look so nice on the tree, have to get put back in their individual boxes or carefully wrapped in tissue paper. I have no patience for this task at all, and one year broke several ornaments in my haste to get through it. Marie saw right through that ploy and would not let me leave it all up to her. :D
Here's your ticket pack your bag
Time for jumpin' overboard
The transportation is here
Close enough but not too far,
Maybe you know where you are
Fightin' fire with fire
fone
The Sage

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:16 pm

And now it's time to un-decorate.

I don't get the point of this. Your house looks so nice and festive during Christmas...why take it down? I don't have a tree but, if I did, I would NEVER take it down. What's nicer than just turning on the tree lights and sitting by and reading a book or something? Why take it down just because "the rules" say we have to? Seems like a waste.
El Bastarde

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:51 pm

I want my tree out, it's shedding needles, it looks lonely, it's dying. Or dead. Sad tree. Get out.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion