Type your thoughts

Anything non-Phish related.

Re: Type your thoughts

Postby Brother » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:40 pm

El Bastarde wrote:And now it's time to un-decorate.

I don't get the point of this. Your house looks so nice and festive during Christmas...why take it down? I don't have a tree but, if I did, I would NEVER take it down. What's nicer than just turning on the tree lights and sitting by and reading a book or something? Why take it down just because "the rules" say we have to? Seems like a waste.

I'm finding myself agreeing... :think:
Brother

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby ladyphish » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:23 am

I'm not a big holiday decorator. I didn't even do a tree this xmas because it's a pain to set up and clean up. Pine needles EVERYWHERE, sap on my hands, trying to figure out where the furniture will go for a month, rearranging the whole closet to take shit out and then again to put the shit back, etc. I do enjoy the lights from the tree, but not enough to go through the all hullabaloo. Plus, I HATE clutter. My house doesn't have the desired open floor plan so common these days, so anything beyond what we normally have around feels chaotic. Also, Piper broke 5 ornaments last year. After seeing her destroy one from a public christmas tree, I knew there was no way I was going to deal with that again. I told Holt he was welcome to do the decorating this year, but that I was not going to nor would I purchase a tree. I came home from NYC to a decorated tree in the middle of Piper's play area. His parents came to stay with her while I was gone, so the cheap bastard picked up a tree someone had thrown out to decorate for them lol. I begged him to take it out the next day. It was too much in our smallish area. She also broke 4 more of my fucking ornaments. Bah humbug :-)
I've been doing this a long time and have seen lots of changes most of which I can't fucking stand...but I still go anyway because I'm there for the MUSIC and so I tolerate all that other bullshit because I DO get the point. So there :-)
ladyphish
The No Good Pa

Postby fone » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:45 am

^^Marie does the same thing. Took most of the weekend to get everything dismantled, boxed and put away, but she leaves certain wintery themed decorations up, snowmen, wintery scenes, certain candles, snowflake themed accessories in the guest bathroom.
Here's your ticket pack your bag
Time for jumpin' overboard
The transportation is here
Close enough but not too far,
Maybe you know where you are
Fightin' fire with fire
fone
The Sage

Postby ladyphish » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:12 am

With all the Bowie love going around, I can't help but think of an article I read after Scott Weiland passed away. I guess the statement written by SW's ex-wife "and children" inspired an article about celebrities who were actually horrible people. Apparently Bowie (as well as Mick Jagger, Jimmy Page, Rod Stewart, Bill Wyman, Iggy Pop, Dee Ramone, Alice Cooper, and others) had a gaggle of "baby groupies" back in the 1960's and 70's. These girls were as young as 12 and as old as 15. Bowie in particular had one he deflowered. She even moved in with him and his wife for a period of time. Afterward the same girl caught Jimmy Page's eye. He pursued her, she resisted, he insisted he would have her. So one night a tour manager or someone in a similar position literally kidnaps this girl and takes her to a hotel room where Page is waiting for her. She dated him for the next few years, but Page kept her under lock and key so nobody would know. The chick's name was Lori something or other. You can google it you need proof. Creepy stuff for sure.
I've been doing this a long time and have seen lots of changes most of which I can't fucking stand...but I still go anyway because I'm there for the MUSIC and so I tolerate all that other bullshit because I DO get the point. So there :-)
ladyphish
The No Good Pa

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:17 pm

With all the Bowie love going around, I can't help but think of an article I read after Scott Weiland passed away. I guess the statement written by SW's ex-wife "and children" inspired an article about celebrities who were actually horrible people.

The only problem is so many of these celebs like Weiland were horrible people because they were addicts and it made them that way. I heard a local radio station talk about the death...they mentioned a story about ten or more years ago when Weiland came into their studio for an interview and few nice acoustic versions of his songs. They mentioned how courteous he was and how he went into another room and listened to an audio recording of himself singing so he could get just the right pitch on his voice for the songs he was going to sing...total professional. Then they mentioned them interviewing Weiland about two years ago and said he was an absolute dick who they could tell "wasn't right" for the interview. He was completely different.

Drugs and shit change people, especially in the story of nailing these girls and groupies. How many of those hours were spent sober? It doesn't excuse the acts but it leads you to wonder...but, in the end, I just assume that 50% of all celebrities (athletes, musicians or actors) are dicks.
El Bastarde

Postby Katiemay » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:59 pm

ICC wrote:I take all the Christmas decorations down, but redecorate for winter. Twig Tree with warm white lights, frosted red berry lights, and gold tangier lights. Lights around the mirrors, fireplace, and piano. Nothing Christmas related, but lovely lights to chill to. I literally cant see the point in not doing it this time of year.

I read some of the OKP before going to sleep the other night and this must have been one of the last posts I read. I then had a dream that I was somewhere where I saw the most beautiful light decoration and thought, "I have to take a picture of this to show Glenn!"
Katiemay

Postby Brother » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:57 pm

^

I got one of those sunlight lamps so I'm perkier than....well let's just say it's been keeping me motivated when I start to get down with the lack of sun.
Brother

Postby jawbone » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:22 pm

I am listening to The Bends right now and somehow just realized that "High and Dry" is a Radiohead song. I feel like I have listened to this album enough times where I would have noticed that by now.

All this time, I was under the impression that it was like...the Cardigans or some unknown one-hit wonder. Weird.
[#42?] nothin' shakin' but the leaves on the trees
jawbone
Skunk Ape Expatriate

Postby fone » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:17 pm

Brady :wave: :wave: :wave:

Had a bout with vertigo about eighteen months ago and have been fine after doing the therapy that sends those little calcium crystals back where they belong in the inner ear. Well something disturbed those little suckers over night and I woke up dizzy and nauseous this morning once again.

Managed to handle things necessary to get into work today, but am fighting the swoonies with every turn of my head. Kind of sux, but nothing that's really too hard to handle. Will probably leave work a little earlier to go home and start the correction therapy. Should be fine by Monday.

Had some fun last night with the Bose wave sound system that we bought ourselves for Christmas while I was making dinner last night. Marie was out at yoga, so I cranked that baby to near capacity while listening to a Pink Floyd Pandora station. First four songs, Fearless, A Day In the Life, House of the Rising Sun and Sheep just made me appreciate how necessary it is to play music LOUD.

Hmmm. Maybe it was those loud Bose sound waves that loosened up the crystals in my inner ear. :P
Fightin' fire with fire
fone
The Sage

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:34 pm

Glad you posted that here, I saw your comment on FB and just didn't have a second to respond ... plus I'd rather be here than FB. But yeah, I just said to Eric yesterday, that (especially w/live Phish) it's important for music to be loud, for sure. Love listening in the car, and I drive alone a lot. Get lots of "loud enough" time there.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:29 pm

Marie was out at yoga, so I cranked that baby to near capacity while listening to a Pink Floyd Pandora station. First four songs, Fearless, A Day In the Life, House of the Rising Sun and Sheep just made me appreciate how necessary it is to play music LOUD.

I'm a firm believer in this in how it's great to FEEL the music as well as hear it. It's part of why I don't like this headphones revolution with everyone seemingly listening to stuff on their headphones...I see people in fricking cars doing this. You miss so much of the sound when it's in your headphones...I only listen to music that way if I have no other choice (usually just at work).

plus I'd rather be here than FB.

I may need to hook up with people here on Facebook more...it's always cool to see what folks are doing. PM me yours if interested.
El Bastarde

Postby fone » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:47 pm

Have I asked this already? ie, Has anyone upgrade their systems to Windows 10?

I have reservations just because it's new and new software takes a while to get good. Just wondering whether I can trash those reservations, or fortify them.
Fightin' fire with fire
fone
The Sage

Postby y0n » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:21 am

fone wrote:Have I asked this already? ie, Has anyone upgrade their systems to Windows 10?

I have reservations just because it's new and new software takes a while to get good. Just wondering whether I can trash those reservations, or fortify them.

I updated a few weeks after it was first released.

I had a few issues to overcome, mainly dealing with driver compatibility. Most mainstream manufacturers have gotten the kinks worked out by now. One thing that still isn't fixed is that my laptop doesn't always wake up from sleep just when I open it up, like it used to. Small pain of having to press the power button. Basically gotten over that issue by now.

Honestly, for my needs it isn't that big of a change. I never used a start menu anyway, I just open programs by pressing the windows key followed by typing the name of the program or by clicking on my taskbar.

The best change in my book is in using the multipane view (when you drag a window to the edge and it snaps to fill up a certain portion of the screen). Now windows shows you the other windows you have open to easily choose what window you want to fill the remaining portion of the screen. Pretty nifty.

To summarize, you can probably update now if you want to, but for the time being it really isn't that big of a change. A few small tweaks that are nice overall but not world changing.
y0n

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:05 pm

Have I asked this already? ie, Has anyone upgrade their systems to Windows 10?

I hate to update anything because it resets my settings every time and I have to scramble and look up how to change everything. I'm sure there's some silly way to save the settings somewhere in some way but why Windows can't figure out how to make an update easier so I don't have to reset everything beyond me. It's for this reason that I hate updating anything...I shut off the Windows Update function on my home computer since it would take forever to boot up every day due to update installs and, half the time, it'd change my defaults. Screw that. I don't need their updated virus definitions anyway since I use something else.

I have reservations just because it's new and new software takes a while to get good.

I go by the basic rule of: "Don't get the Version 1 of anything." Let everyone else get that and have to deal with the bugs...I'll get Version 3 when they have all that stuff cleaned up.

One thing that still isn't fixed is that my laptop doesn't always wake up from sleep just when I open it up, like it used to. Small pain of having to press the power button.

My parents have to do that on theirs. I assumed it was just a setting you can change.

Now windows shows you the other windows you have open

See, I never allow the windows to cascade on the bottom of the screen so I see every window I have open on the bottom anyway...I can't stand when they stack.
El Bastarde

Postby y0n » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:32 pm

El Bastarde wrote:See, I never allow the windows to cascade on the bottom of the screen so I see every window I have open on the bottom anyway...I can't stand when they stack.

Huh?

I was talking about Image

See how you can see the windows after you snap the window to one side?

It's good for multitasking
y0n

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:37 pm

See how you can see the windows after you snap the window to one side?

Oh, I see. I meant I prefer the windows appearing on the bottom pane like where you have all those icons. Like on the internet page on the right side you have all those tabs open...I have them all individually listed on the bottom.

But, yeah, that'd be nice for work but I have two monitors for work anyway.
El Bastarde

Postby y0n » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:42 pm

But, yeah, that'd be nice for work but I have two monitors for work anyway.

Yeah, when I'm in my office I've got 2 monitors. Only use this feature when I'm at home or on the go.

Also Windows 7+ has the snap to side function, only takes a few more clicks to find the other window anyway.

Another nifty thing for 10 is that you can adjust the widths of both windows at the same time. A slider appears between the two windows and adjust both windows so that they don't overlap while still occupying the entire screen. Another nifty function that isn't all that great but appreciated.

Also you should update to 10 while its still free!
y0n

Postby fone » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:22 pm

All good points, thanks.
Fightin' fire with fire
fone
The Sage

Postby PardonMe Doug » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:05 pm

I wonder what happened to Lawnboy357? :think: :lolno:
PardonMe Doug

Postby marley » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:33 am

God never listens, to what I say....

and you don't get a refund if you overpray....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBbVT-yBfmM
#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Postby Katiemay » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:28 pm

They should have an option that allows you to request reserved seating only for outdoor venues.
Katiemay

Postby marley » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:30 am

anybody have any holds yet?
#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Postby Harpua » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:32 pm

No holds yet. I have the dubious distinction of having never scored tickets via lottery. Fingers crossed -this is my year. ;)

Good luck with the lottery, OKP! :D
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:28 pm

and you don't get a refund if you overpray....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBbVT-yBfmM

This was over fucking 20 years ago. Holy shit. Seeing those young musicians combined with the music had me a lil emotional...nice share.

They should have an option that allows you to request reserved seating only for outdoor venues

Or the reverse as well. Join us heathens on the lawn.

anybody have any holds yet?

Nothing here. When is it supposed to happen?

I have the dubious distinction of having never scored tickets via lottery.

That's crazy. It's not like all of these shows are huge sellers.
El Bastarde

Postby y0n » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:42 pm

Nothing here. When is it supposed to happen?

Sometime between now and tomorrow eve
y0n

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Phish Discussion